Almomd Milk vs. Regular Milk vs. Soy Milk

Options
weehah
weehah Posts: 81 Member
Discuss. I know almond milk is lower in calories, but also lower in protein . . .

Replies

• ashleymm625
    Options
    i bounce back between almond milk and regular milk.. i only buy the almond when it is on sale. i like the flavor it adds to my shakeology
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I've never tried almond milk, but I really enjoy the flavor of soy and coconut milk.
  • nicola1812
    nicola1812 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump x
  • Cocozest
    Cocozest Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I prefer Almond milk for its nutritional benefits like: usually fortified with B12 vitamins, low carbohydrates, less saturated fat and the flavour is pretty mild. Honestly, I really like the flavor of soy milk but i'm a bit afraid of the hormonal effects it might have even though minor. I have pcos, so it's a bit of a concern when anything can effect your body that way
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For me it's almond milk all the way. Tried soy milk multiple times... HATE it. Tried coconut milk because a friend of mine said she was drinking it (we have super similar tastes when it coems to food) and HATED it. I still like organic cow's milk and goat milk, but they are more expensive than almond milk, and to be honest I reallly grew to like the taste of! I started off just eating it on my cereal and using it in cooking and smoothies, and about a week ago I found myself reaching for it just for a beverage, I was actually really shocked. Cow's milk does have more calcium in it, but I get plenty of calcium from other sources, so it doesn't really matter to me... guess the ultimate deciding factors would be, do you like the taste? Does it's composition fit well into my diet (i.e. rice milk isn't the best for people who don't get enough protein). Here's an interesting little article that shows the nutritional breakdown of milks side by side and throws in a few pros and cons about each type.

http://www.livescience.com/14948-skinny-milk-nutrition-goat-rice-soy.html
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Almond milk. I drink it for desert. Or when I have an urge to snack more than my calories allow.
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have almond milk and hazelnut milk. I'm not a fan of soy.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I like cow's milk. I sometimes use almond milk for flavor in recipes because of the slight nutty flavor, but I detest soy milk. I don't drink milk for calcium, though. I get tired of hearing the anti-milk crowd say that milk drinkers only seem to drink it for calcium, cause it's not true in my case. It has more protein than almond milk and more calories...and since I need a minimum of 1800 calories, getting something with half the calories doesn't make me happy cause then I will have to figure out what else to eat.
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk for me all the time...in my cereal...in my porridge...smoothies....! used to have soy milk in my smoothies before you could get almond milk so readily but dont have it now... i like coconut milk and rice milk in my smoothies too but they are higher in calories and fat so the almond milk suits me better.....i also have PCOS and i am a vegetarian so i have reduced my soy consumption too due to the hormonal issues it seemingly has when consumed regularly.:wink:
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    bump. as I am interested in what other people have to say about this!
  • kmartinixx
    kmartinixx Posts: 197
    Options
    I sometimes drink Chocolate Soy Milk for like a dessert, if I'm having a huge chocolate craving. But other than the chocolate one, I don't much care for soy milk. I love coconut Milk, which is 70 calories a cup, and I also use Almond, Cashew, and Hazelnut Milk (yes all three in one milk), and both of those are great in my smoothies.

But I am a sucker for regular milk, too, and for that I use 2% Organic Stonyfield milk. =)
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I alternate between almond milk and regular milk. Can't have soy milk because I'm soy intolerant.
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Joe_Atlanta Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So far the unflavored almond beats soy and skim milk for everything but my morning coffee. Still have to have 2% in that or it just doesn't taste right ;^) .
  • MizzEngelChen
    MizzEngelChen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I make my own almond milk most of the time. That way it's easier to make just as much as I need. Not a big fan of soy and we rarely have normal milk at home because we don't use it much. For Thursday pancakes I use oatmilk, though, when I haven't planned ahead enough to prepare the almond milk. It's *much* cheaper than the other "milks", especially nut milks, and only little more expensive than soy milk.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I can't drink milk so we alternate between soy and almond milk. The almond milk tastes a little better but I usually just have it in protein shakes. Once I put some fruit in its hard to taste much difference.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with lactose intolerance, so I drink regular, usually 2% milk. I've had almond milk a few times; I would try it again on a whim. Soy is gross. I live in an area with a lot of dairy farms and can buy locally produced and bottled milk in any grocery store around here.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I use all three :D

Lactose free milk for coffee and tea, soy milk for everything else. Sometimes I buy almond milk and use it in protein shakes, but that doesn't happen that often 'cause almond milk is quite expensive here + I don't like almond milk as much as I like soy milk.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My kids drink a ton of regular milk. I prefer to buy (when i can afford it) either the unsweetened/regular almond, rice or coconut. I do like soy - I just am trying to limit soy as a test for thyroid issues. I don't care for the sweet or vanilla flavored milks at all. Great for smoothies and cereal/oats. My favorite way to use it is to have almond milk, chia seeds and some dried fruit. Makes it like a breakfast pudding.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk now that cow milk upsets my stomach. I think it has a nice mild, nutty flavor which I like, and it has more calcium than cow milk.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I use milks irregularly, so it comes down to what I can buy in small sizes. I get 4-packs of 1-cup containers of sweetened almond milk, and cans of light coconut milk for when I have a recipe that calls for unsweetened milk.