For the guys...women can answer to :-)

Options

Replies

• Guy04
    Guy04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think he's cheating ! I would also suggest trying cardio exercises instead of weight training and stop the cheat day !
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Guy04 wrote: »
    I think he's cheating ! I would also suggest trying cardio exercises instead of weight training and stop the cheat day !

Disregard this OP.

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Disregard this OP.

:smile:
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

Aw he'll no. Cardio is great--I love it myself--but weight training maintains muscle mass. You can actually lose more lean muscle if you do too much cardio/do not adequately fuel your workouts.

You should do more weight training, MFP user Guy04.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

You should also raise your calorie goal from 1200 to at least 1500 and log all of your foods.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    I wanted to say water retention. But then I read that this 6'3, 300lb man doesn't lose at 1800 calories per day.

But we don't know if he has stopped losing fat right? That's an unknown quantity. We know he has stopped losing weight which is something else altogether.

We do know that he was losing on that caloric intake with cardio (presumably low intensity) but also he has recently started a more intense form of exercise (lifting) which is more likely to prompt water / fluid retention.

What I would add is I think OP started him calorie goal too low to start. We all know what happens as you keep losing weight. Especially with aggressive deficits.

Let me just clarify. I had him at the 2000 calorie mark when all this started. He has lowered his calorie intake on his own thinking it will help. I find it easier to just support him rather than argue with him. I let him make his own mistakes to learn from. I teach him what I can. It's up to him to do with the information as he will. I log for him so that at least I know his logging is accurate. I video his workouts so that at least I know his form is good and he's not hurting himself. I bring to him ideas, he decides if he wants to try them out. I'm only trying to bring him new ideas taht I may not have thought of.

me thinks it's time for him to take ownership- logging what he puts in his piehole isn't THAT much work. I can understand if you're the primary food worker in the house- weighing and pre-portioning- that's not really an issue.
    But quiet honestly logging should fall on his shoulders. There is practically not one single good reason he cant' track himself. Either using an app or the old fashioned book method.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I wanted to say water retention. But then I read that this 6'3, 300lb man doesn't lose at 1800 calories per day.

But we don't know if he has stopped losing fat right? That's an unknown quantity. We know he has stopped losing weight which is something else altogether.

We do know that he was losing on that caloric intake with cardio (presumably low intensity) but also he has recently started a more intense form of exercise (lifting) which is more likely to prompt water / fluid retention.

What I would add is I think OP started him calorie goal too low to start. We all know what happens as you keep losing weight. Especially with aggressive deficits.

Let me just clarify. I had him at the 2000 calorie mark when all this started. He has lowered his calorie intake on his own thinking it will help. I find it easier to just support him rather than argue with him. I let him make his own mistakes to learn from. I teach him what I can. It's up to him to do with the information as he will. I log for him so that at least I know his logging is accurate. I video his workouts so that at least I know his form is good and he's not hurting himself. I bring to him ideas, he decides if he wants to try them out. I'm only trying to bring him new ideas taht I may not have thought of.

me thinks it's time for him to take ownership- logging what he puts in his piehole isn't THAT much work. I can understand if you're the primary food worker in the house- weighing and pre-portioning- that's not really an issue.
    But quiet honestly logging should fall on his shoulders. There is practically not one single good reason he cant' track himself. Either using an app or the old fashioned book method.

I think if he starts stalling a lot he will take over the weighing IF he is fully committed to losing the weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I think if he starts stalling a lot he will take over the weighing IF he is fully committed to losing the weight.

well I know I would. If something isn't working for me and I've left it up to someone else to take care of and that isn't working out- you're absolutely right- I take the reins back and do it myself.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    He's eating more than what you're weighing and portioning out to him.

One doesn't gain 10 pounds on a deficit - especially that kind of deficit (large) at 300 pounds. It's just not physically possible.

Find out about his extra, secret calories he's hiding.

This. He's eating in secret. And don't tell mr it isn't possible, I sneaked food for 28 years :-)

• moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed. He is 6'3" and over 300 pounds, is eating 1600 calories a day enough? It is possible that his body may be going into starvation mode and storing every calorie.

http://www.coachcalorie.com/not-eating-enough-calories-to-lose-weight/

Also, do you take measurements weekly or monthly in addition or are you relying completely on the scale?
  • barbecuesauce
    edited July 2015
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed. He is 6'3" and over 300 pounds, is eating 1600 calories a day enough? It is possible that his body may be going into starvation mode and storing every calorie.

Also, do you take measurements weekly or monthly in addition or are you relying completely on the scale?

Well, that's not possible. At least some of the things the author claims happen when you don't eat enough calories are true, but their conclusion--that the body will hang onto excess weight when not given enough calories--is absolutely false. I continued to lose weight while netting well under 1000 calories (and suffering health consequences from those few calories--fatigue, hair loss, possible cause of my gallbladder issue.)

If the OP's husband was eating 1600 calories per day, his weight would be at least -8 from one month ago, not +10.

He's sneaking food. It's possible. I don't care if your kids are narcs or whatever, he's sneaking food.

My suggestion would be for OP to stop worrying about her husband's weight and start worrying about why he feels the need to hide things from her. Time to back off.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

Yes we have been measuring him and his chest and arms have been getting smaller. He's more worried about his lower section. It's his pants that are getting tighter.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Disregard the bold OP.

• moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do some research.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Well, that's not possible. At least some of the things the author claims happen when you don't eat enough calories are true, but their conclusion--that the body will hang onto excess weight when not given enough calories--is absolutely false. I continued to lose weight while netting well under 1000 calories (and suffering health consequences from those few calories--fatigue, hair loss, possible cause of my gallbladder issue.)

Yeah, you are incorrect. This is possible, if you do a quick search of the net you will find that this is possible. He gave his body a pretty good jolt by losing weight and it is reacting.
    I think you're confusing "possible" and "impossible."

At most, the concept you're putting forward would mean he'd lose weight more slowly than he otherwise would, not that he'd fail to lose weight and certainly not that he'd gain weight.

A quick search of the net can tell me that we didn't land on the moon. You should move beyond quick searches.

• barbecuesauce
    Options
    Do some research.

No, YOU do some research. Google pictures of famine victims. For the science behind what happens to the body during extreme caloric deficit, the Minnesota Starvation Experiment might be a good place to start. A healthy group of men lost about 25% of their body weight on roughly 1560 calories while doing light exercise. The purpose of the experiment was to test the physiological and psychological effects of starvation, not whether or not weight loss through starvation could be achieved.

The body simply does not hold onto the weight.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Damn. Went to work. And I was SO impressed this thread went so long without "starvation mode" rearing its ugly head.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I agree he's secret eating.

Gotta be.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »

Sure, and there's too many variables at play to make any confident predictions really (calories go down, cardio is dropped, weights are introduced and so on.)

I think an approach would be to go to a sensible baseline level of calories, keep exercise consistent for a month and then tweak depending on results.

Yup

Absolutely. So what's a good baseline. Should he bump back up to the 2000 and go from there or would that be too low for his size?

are you only seeing what you want to see?

2000 for a man who is 6 ft 3 and over 300lbs is not enough even if he wasn't working out.

My son albeit younger maintains on 4000-4500 depending on his daily work...as a welder.

he is 6 ft 3 and 21 but 240lbs...smh

give that man some food so he stops starving and eating behind your back.

My maintenance during the summer is more than 2k...and I am a 150lb female...

based on scooby with 1-3hours of light activty his BMR is 2627and TDEE is 2889...

^This. You were given the calculator because it is going to be more accurate than people guessing. Don't assume everything is an attack. Playing the victim in this thread isn't going to help your husband.

No one is attacking me. I'm not sure whre in my posts your getting that vibe. I'm not playing the victim either. Only asking for advise, from other people who may have experienced similar concerns, to help my stubborn husband beyond what I've learned in the two years I've been doing this. As I said previously, I am not a guy so I don't know if things change differently with those genes.
    Honestly, on a sample size of one, as someone who was your husband's size and bigger and who lifted at that size, if the weight isn't pouring off of him at 1800, let alone 1600, he's eating stuff you don't know about or he has a medical condition. I don't mean that to be dismissive or snarky or insensitive to the effort you're making to help him help himself. It's just inconceivable to me that he'd be retaining enough fluid to more than offset the fat he should be losing.

Another vote that the likely explanation is that 1,600 calories isn't enough and he is eating in secret.

I'm under 5'7" and I lose weight at 1,600 calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

epic failure on recommending dropping strength training for cardio.