Low carb plans

Options
hey there!
I'm not new to my fitness pal nor am I a stranger to the weight-loss world and how it works

I've been on this site for about four years now and I've lost a total of 120 pounds.

That is until about six months ago when I gained 40 at the back.

I'm struggling to find that place again where the balance in my life with work family and weight loss is there.

Nonetheless my lovely partner in my life follows a low-carb diet. Not quite as strict as Atkins however it works for him.

He keeps his net carbs under 35 a day and he's lost about 55 pounds in seven months

I think I'm at the point after losing a substantial amount of weight, but I need to try something new.

I've been following his low-carb "lifestyle" for the past week and I've lost 3 pounds

I haven't been drinking, my carbs have been under 25 to 30 g per day. And I've been to the gym four days this week.

I guess I'm just slightly discouraged..

I know men lose it quicker than women… We all know that. And trust me man us ladies hate you for it!! ;)

For those of you who are going to ask my beginning weight was 350 pounds my current weight is 240 pounds

My lowest weight ever in my adult life is 211 pounds.

Any advice that you may have if you follow a lower carb lifestyle would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, restricting carbs is not required for weight loss. Eating fewer calories than you burn is all that is required.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Mfp gives me 150 per day. That feels good to me, and I am losing weight. Very low carb diets that are very high in protein should be monitored closely by a doctor as they can be hard on the kidneys. You don't want to hurt yourself to lose weight.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical condition, restricting carbs is not required for weight loss. Eating fewer calories than you burn is all that is required.

OP has lost 120 lbs and been on MFP for 4 years.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged about losing 3 pounds in a week on top of the 120 you've already lost :)

You may wish to post this in the Low Carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    hey there!
    I'm not new to my fitness pal nor am I a stranger to the weight-loss world and how it works

I've been on this site for about four years now and I've lost a total of 120 pounds.

That is until about six months ago when I gained 40 at the back.

I'm struggling to find that place again where the balance in my life with work family and weight loss is there.

Nonetheless my lovely partner in my life follows a low-carb diet. Not quite as strict as Atkins however it works for him.

He keeps his net carbs under 35 a day and he's lost about 55 pounds in seven months

I think I'm at the point after losing a substantial amount of weight, but I need to try something new.

I've been following his low-carb "lifestyle" for the past week and I've lost 3 pounds

I haven't been drinking, my carbs have been under 25 to 30 g per day. And I've been to the gym four days this week.

I guess I'm just slightly discouraged..

I know men lose it quicker than women… We all know that. And trust me man us ladies hate you for it!! ;)

For those of you who are going to ask my beginning weight was 350 pounds my current weight is 240 pounds

My lowest weight ever in my adult life is 211 pounds.

Any advice that you may have if you follow a lower carb lifestyle would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

What is discouraging you? Low carb is a lifestyle and you are 3 lbs in the right direction after 1 week. It may be water loss but you need to give it time. Have you adjusted your caloric requirements to your lower weight?
  • fAaronheit
    fAaronheit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

This, best thing to do is work out your BMR, and eat below it, things like HIIT in the gym are good too because you burn more and save more time, rather than going low carb all the time, you should cycle them

If you enjoy low carb, ketogenic may be for you
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Yes, I do actually enjoy low carb. I still try to eat as clean as possible. I dont typically go for the shakes/bars but occasionally, I'll have one.

For every 20 lbs I dropped my calorie goal, it's currently at 1400 NET for the day.

The gym... I prefer strength training and cross fit over cardio, so thats what I strive for.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you are discouraged after losing 3 pounds in one week. That seems great to me.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I don't understand why you are discouraged after losing 3 pounds in one week. That seems great to me.

+1

Men often lose quicker than women by eating the same amount but using more energy.
  • yarwell
    Options

1. Eat more fat. Avoid low fat, lean or diet options.
    2. Drop the ersatz low carb pseudo foods like quest bars or Atkins Inc products
    3. You didn't burn that many calories in an hour
    4. Eat 1300 - 1400 cals a day, with about 100g of fat in that.
  • JacMarieSTL
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Fat!!! Got it!!

I avoid the Atkins products unless necessary.

What do you mean I didn't Burn that many calories in an hour!!??? Huh!??

My net intake is at 1400
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Based on the OP, I am curious how you came to the 1300-1400 target?
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Stick to whole foods, eat more fat.

• yarwell
    Options

My net intake is at 1400

"arms/back/shoulders/cardio 65 mins 760 calories". - perhaps half that would be realistic.

Forget "net", eat 1400. You have a way to go and can run a decent deficit.
  • JacMarieSTL
    Options

My net intake is at 1400

"arms/back/shoulders/cardio 65 mins 760 calories". - perhaps half that would be realistic.

Forget "net", eat 1400. You have a way to go and can run a decent deficit.

I use a polar HR monitor. And I assure you. I kick my own *kitten*.
  • JacMarieSTL
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Based on the OP, I am curious how you came to the 1300-1400 target?

I came to 1400 because when I was actively losing this was what worked
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Just try to make sure you're getting all your nutrients...and your fiber. That can be hard to do when you eliminate fruits and veggies.

Good luck with your plan! I'm sure you'll get under 200 if you keep working on losing! :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think you should be happy with that 3lb ins in one week start too. Your beating your partner! He lost 55 lbs in 7 months, or 30 weeks. Even if you lose just 2 lbs per week, in 7 months (30 weeks) you would be down 60lbs. You're doing great.

Lots of fat, and adequate protein will keep you low carb. Most meats, cheeses, nuts, avocados, and eggs will help get you there. If you really limit starchy carbs (baked goods, potatoes, rice) it is quite easy to stay low carb.

If you decide to go very low carb and go into ketosis, drink plenty of fluids, keep up your Mg, K, and Na, and don't be surprised if you feel less well for a week or two. It passes.

I haven't found low fibre to be an issue. I think the extra fats and nuts keeps things moving for me.

Good luck.
  • JacMarieSTL
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I think you should be happy with that 3lb ins in one week start too. Your beating your partner! He lost 55 lbs in 7 months, or 30 weeks. Even if you lose just 2 lbs per week, in 7 months (30 weeks) you would be down 60lbs. You're doing great.

Lots of fat, and adequate protein will keep you low carb. Most meats, cheeses, nuts, avocados, and eggs will help get you there. If you really limit starchy carbs (baked goods, potatoes, rice) it is quite easy to stay low carb.

If you decide to go very low carb and go into ketosis, drink plenty of fluids, keep up your Mg, K, and Na, and don't be surprised if you feel less well for a week or two. It passes.

I haven't found low fibre to be an issue. I think the extra fats and nuts keeps things moving for me.

Good luck.

THANK You!!!!!!

much appreciated.
  • JacMarieSTL
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Just try to make sure you're getting all your nutrients...and your fiber. That can be hard to do when you eliminate fruits and veggies.

Good luck with your plan! I'm sure you'll get under 200 if you keep working on losing! :)

My goal is 190.... I'm trying!! THANK You!!!