tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    All of my what.
  • gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    gainesma wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Prior to the late 50's everyone ate high fat...

That's not correct. The percentage of diet that is fat has gone down, but overall caloric intake has gone up by an even bigger amount. We're, on average, eating about the same amount of fat as we were 50 years.

The number that really stands out on a historical scale is the huge increase in carb calories.

■■■ No disagreement with me here. It's carbohydrates in excess that are making people fat. You can test it yourself. Eat 4k calories of fat a day you won't gain an ounce but you may lose a half pound at the end of a week. Then eat 4k calories a day in a ugar and carbohydrates and at the end of the week you will be pounds heavier. Insulin responds to carbohydrates & sugar. It doesn't respond at all to fat■■■
    For those reading this thread, you might find a low carb diet the most effective way to maintain a caloric deficit, but let's be super duper clear...it is the caloric deficit that causes the weight gain.

+1
    ■■■ I'm sorry but a caloric deficit creates a weightloss not gain, right?) Also I think even low fat diets work to some extent but not long term for most people. Best to find something that works that you can make a life long commitment to. Most diets are always broken so whatever you do you must make it a lifestyle change. Then your odds of success go up greatly.■■■
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    huh? there are posts gone again?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

That's not correct. The percentage of diet that is fat has gone down, but overall caloric intake has gone up by an even bigger amount. We're, on average, eating about the same amount of fat as we were 50 years.

The number that really stands out on a historical scale is the huge increase in carb calories.

■■■ No disagreement with me here. It's carbohydrates in excess that are making people fat. You can test it yourself. Eat 4k calories of fat a day you won't gain an ounce but you may lose a half pound at the end of a week. Then eat 4k calories a day in a ugar and carbohydrates and at the end of the week you will be pounds heavier. Insulin responds to carbohydrates & sugar. It doesn't respond at all to fat■■■
    For those reading this thread, you might find a low carb diet the most effective way to maintain a caloric deficit, but let's be super duper clear...it is the caloric deficit that causes the weight gain.

+1
    ■■■ I'm sorry but a caloric deficit creates a weightloss not gain, right?) Also I think even low fat diets work to some extent but not long term for most people. Best to find something that works that you can make a life long commitment to. Most diets are always broken so whatever you do you must make it a lifestyle change. Then your odds of success go up greatly.■■■

Stahp
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited July 2015

+1

Lol. I didn't see that typo. I know the poster of that comment, and it should have read "it is the caloric deficit that causes the weight gain loss."

And, back to the thread topic, OP, please let us know if you follow up with your doctor. I'd love to hear the explanation about "No Carbs."
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    No there was a longggg post in here.
  • gainesma
    arb037 wrote: »
    Ok a lot of misinformation on here. No carb- low carb does not equate or lead to kidney damage.
    What you need to look up and read is the "ketogenic diet".
    The body does not need carbohydrates. In the ketogenic diet FAT is used as the primary fuel source ( instead of carbs).
    A common macro split for a keto diet would look like this. 65-75% fat, 5% or less carbs, 20-35% protein ( depending on lbm).
    The Ketogenic diet has been shown to reverse type 2 diabetes all together as well as alzheimers and helps prevent cancer.
    It is frankly a better fuel source for the body.
    Give your Dr the benefit of the doubt and look into it.

The deoxyribose in your DNA is a carbohydrate. Your body needs carbohydrates to exist, let alone function.

Ketogenic diets also increase the risk of kidney stones and gout.

There are no essential dietary carbohydrates. Fats & proteins are essential. Essential mean g you wouldn't function or live long without them. Our bodies however are unbelievable, they manufacture another type of glucose via our body fat when dietary sugars are low. So they key word is "dietary", you dont have to eat them to live. Your body will create exactly what it needs from your own body fat.
  • gainesma
    eryndon wrote: »
    I have been doing a similar diet and would be happy to share recipes with you. For breakfast I usually have eggs w/ veggies, cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt (can't do the flavored ones too much sugar) w/ berries or a smoothie (berries, greek yogurt, chia seeds, almond butter & maybe some protein powder. Lunch usually is a salad with other veggies with some protein of some sort (fish or chicken) Dinner more protein and some kind of veggie grilled or steamed. One of my best investment is a veggie grill pan like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6481-Stainless-Vegetable-Basket/dp/B0071V7WOS/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437773996&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=veggie+gill+basket. Just throw a bunch of veggies in with a little olive oil & season, put on the grill for 15 min.
    I also cut up a bunch of a veggies 2x a week so I have easy access to them for snacks with hummus or a dip made out of greek yogurt. I also like to have the yogurt and berries for afternoon snack if my energy is really low.

I really love pizza and miss it so much and just made a recipe with a cauliflower crust. Can't really tell it's cauliflower. So good, my whole family ate it! http://recipes.mercola.com/cauliflower-crust-pizza-recipe.aspx

Let me know what kind of recipes your looking for or what your struggling with and I send my thoughts.

Stats:
    start weight 136.5 lbs
    goal 118 lbs
    week 1-133.2
    week 2-133.9
    week 3-134.3
    week 4-130.7
    ■■■Excellent reply, I too want to try that cauliflower pizza crust recipie. Who doesn't love pizza? Grilled asparagus with marinated olive oil is wonderful too. I love all grilled veggies like zuccini, egg plant too■■■
  • gainesma
    I go to a weight-loss doctor and I had a lot of blood work done last week. It turns out that I am prediabetic, and have to go on a no carb diet. I had already limited my carbs for the first month I've been going there and had lost 8 1/2 pounds. Now, I cannot have any grains or carbohydrates, and no sugar whatsoever, which I wasn't having except for eating fruit anyway. To top it off, a medication that I'm taking is known to cause diabetes, but my weight-loss doctor is not really looking at that, and just telling me that I'm doing well dieting and I should keep it up and add more exercise. I'm frustrated because I've never had issues with blood sugar or insulin before and I feel like this woman is not listening to me. If anyone is on a carb free diet and has some foods they like that they could share with me I would really appreciate it. I have already given up all of the bad food, but I'm not really sure what to eat.

First, do not see a weight loss doctor for anything concerning endocrine conditions. You need to see an endocrinologist.

Second, if this weight loss 'doctor' told you to eat no carbs, that means you can't eat vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, etc. I would be very cautious when taking any advice from this individual. Please ask your primary care physician for a referral to an endocrinologist who can then refer you to the affiliated registered dietitian.

■■■My endocrinologist has a belief diets don't work... unfortunately I think the data says she is right. So whatever you do it must become a life changing solution. You have to decide it's not a diet. Socrates said good is medicine and you are what you eat.For diabetics this is absolutely true. So you need to decide food is your medicine. If you're allegiance to peanuts you font eat them... in a sense carbohydrates create toxicity in the body of diabetics. We must eat our medicine and not eat the foods that aggravate our symptoms...■■■
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    I go to a weight-loss doctor and I had a lot of blood work done last week. It turns out that I am prediabetic, and have to go on a no carb diet. I had already limited my carbs for the first month I've been going there and had lost 8 1/2 pounds. Now, I cannot have any grains or carbohydrates, and no sugar whatsoever, which I wasn't having except for eating fruit anyway. To top it off, a medication that I'm taking is known to cause diabetes, but my weight-loss doctor is not really looking at that, and just telling me that I'm doing well dieting and I should keep it up and add more exercise. I'm frustrated because I've never had issues with blood sugar or insulin before and I feel like this woman is not listening to me. If anyone is on a carb free diet and has some foods they like that they could share with me I would really appreciate it. I have already given up all of the bad food, but I'm not really sure what to eat.

First, do not see a weight loss doctor for anything concerning endocrine conditions. You need to see an endocrinologist.

Second, if this weight loss 'doctor' told you to eat no carbs, that means you can't eat vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, etc. I would be very cautious when taking any advice from this individual. Please ask your primary care physician for a referral to an endocrinologist who can then refer you to the affiliated registered dietitian.

■■■My endocrinologist has a belief diets don't work... unfortunately I think the data says she is right. So whatever you do it must become a life changing solution. You have to decide it's not a diet. Socrates said good is medicine and you are what you eat.For diabetics this is absolutely true. So you need to decide food is your medicine. If you're allegiance to peanuts you font eat them... in a sense carbohydrates create toxicity in the body of diabetics. We must eat our medicine and not eat the foods that aggravate our symptoms...■■■

Diets don't work. A calorie deficit is all that's needed for weight loss. You keep advocating for a ketogenic diet while saying whatever you do must be a life-long change. Well, a ketogenic 'lifestyle' is not sustainable. It is not a diet that most people can follow for their entire life.

Diabetics do not NEED to eat keto or low carb. What's important is the kind of carb. Simple carbohydrates are not necessarily good for diabetics. But complex carbs have essential vitamins and minerals that make up a well-balanced "diet."
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Wow. I am stunned and excited to read all of these responses!
    I am going to ask the practice for a different dr. I went food shopping today and "no carbs" made things challenging lol.

However, I Think I mentioned that I am on a medication that can cause prediabetes, it also makes it extremely difficult to lose weight, and I managed to lose 8 1/2 pounds on the doctor scale. And I talked to the doctor I go to that prescribed that medication today. We are going to work out a plan where I am going to go off that medication, and the diabetic issues it should go away. I can handle a low-carb diet, but this no carb diet may prove challenging. You are all awesome for noticing the inconsistencie son the paperwork were she says no carbs but has carbs listed. You really helped me feel better about my situation and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.

Good to hear!

The doctor that wrote "no grains, no carbs" but told you to go on a Mediterranean diet is definitely confused.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801

"Key components of the Mediterranean diet

The Mediterranean diet emphasizes:
    • Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
    • Replacing butter with healthy fats, such as olive oil
    • Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
    • Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month
    • Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week
    • Drinking red wine in moderation (optional)
    The diet also recognizes the importance of being physically active, and enjoying meals with family and friends."

We all know Mediterranean food includes pasta and bread in moderation.

I hope you have an appointment with a less-confused doctor ASAP. Good luck!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,138 Member
    edited July 2015

And even though a low carb diet is very effective at fast initial weight loss, and very effective at improving insulin response and health markers, based on my personal knowledge of multiple people who engaged in, and after great initial success, subsequently abandoned, ketogenic diets, it is also not a sustainable and permanent lifestyle change.

So, is my calorie counting, high-ish in protein, medium to low-ish in fat, medium-ish in carbs with an emphasis on low glycemic load carbs, life-style change sustainable and permanent?

I guess we will find out! I suspect it will be permanent for only as long as I keep counting my calories and remain aware of my ratio of caloric expenditure to intake.

This doesn't make it any less valid (or more valid for that matter) than the low carb lifestyle you have discovered and that you somehow believe to be more permanent than any other "short term" diet.

How do you feel about fragrant, warm, bread rolls? A couple of croissants? A baguette with your cheese? How about some grapes? A slice of chocolate cake? A chocolate dipped ice milk cone? A can of coke? A glass of orange juice? Three slices of pizza? A snickers bar?

Your reaction to these triggers explains why it is so hard to transform a 50+% carb diet into a 10% carb diet as a lifestyle change.

If I eat a few slices of pizza and a monster mud pie, I may gain a lb of water weight for a couple of days because of the salt in the pizza, and I may gain up to a lb of fat if I ate it all on top of my normal calories. As of my next meal I can continue to eat normally.

If you had three pizza slices and a monster mud pie you would end up gaining a crap-load of water weight (3-5lbs) since it would constitute a carb reefed, and then you would end up being out of ketosis and having to go through the induction phase again.

This would make your slip up a BIG DEAL (as opposed to a single meal event), and increase the chance that you would say to yourself: well, I'm *kitten* for the next day or two, why don't I also have some of the bread I can't normally have, and a nice fried rice dish with a bit of curry, or whatever else I've been missing... turning a single over-indulged meal into a day of indulgence, or even into a week long binge.

And there my friend is where a lot of ketogenic diets fail.

It is easy to open my front door and go for a walk. Much harder to call up my swimming buddies and arrange for all of us to meet at the pool half an hour's drive away.
  • micheledarley2012
    micheledarley2012 Posts: 24 Member
    I do think the doctor was just using short hand. I have a morbid obsession with that 600 lb Life and I hear that doctor tell his patients all the time to eat a NO CARB diet. He doesn't mean NO CARBS, but he wants them to cut out pasta and breads and potatoes and what have you. He also just wants them to cut their calories and seems to be simplifying given the severity of their situations.

However, if your doctor makes you uncomfy...get another one. I also hate the idea that doctors dumb things down instead of giving people all the info they need/want.

My advice would be to follow the printed diet the doctor gave you and ignore the gobbledeegook she wrote on top.

Love 600 lb life!
  • micheledarley2012
    micheledarley2012 Posts: 24 Member
    To top it off, a medication that I'm taking is known to cause diabetes, but my weight-loss doctor is not really looking at that, and just telling me that I'm doing well dieting and I should keep it up and add more exercise. I'm frustrated because I've never had issues with blood sugar or insulin before and I feel like this woman is not listening to me. If anyone is on a carb free diet and has some foods they like that they could share with me I would really appreciate it. I have already given up all of the bad food, but I'm not really sure what to eat.

Very curious- is it the weight loss Dr. that prescribed to you the med that is known to cause diabetes? If not, your other Dr. should review the blood work and the two of you should discuss the risks of taking that med. Otherwise, I would definitely seek another opinion from a primary care or endocrinologist.

No, my psychiatrist prescribed it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    2 - 4 Tablespoons of olive oil would use up between a sixth and a third of my total calories!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Ang108 wrote: »
    I would seek the advise of a registered dietitian. Throughout my life I have encountered several doctors who when they said " absolutely no carbs ", they meant no bread, pasta, rice , bakery good and other starchy, mostly processed food items. They did not even know that fruit, vegetables, legumes and pulses are complex ( healthy ) carbs which even a diabetic can/should eat in moderation.
    My neighbor is an internist and tells me that usually in med school they offer one nutrition course during the whole time of medical training and many doctors chose something that is for them more important.
    I would go to a professional and get advise I can live with.
    Good Luck !

One of my good friends is a pedatric cardiologist.. she never had a class in nutrition.. And she went to the University of Penn (top rated medical school). She keeps telling me, if she needs to know something nutrition, then she's got people for that.
    To slightly alter something usually attributed to Socrates: "No citizen as the right to be an amateur in the matter of [nutrition]".
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    To top it off, a medication that I'm taking is known to cause diabetes, but my weight-loss doctor is not really looking at that, and just telling me that I'm doing well dieting and I should keep it up and add more exercise. I'm frustrated because I've never had issues with blood sugar or insulin before and I feel like this woman is not listening to me. If anyone is on a carb free diet and has some foods they like that they could share with me I would really appreciate it. I have already given up all of the bad food, but I'm not really sure what to eat.

Very curious- is it the weight loss Dr. that prescribed to you the med that is known to cause diabetes? If not, your other Dr. should review the blood work and the two of you should discuss the risks of taking that med. Otherwise, I would definitely seek another opinion from a primary care or endocrinologist.

No, my psychiatrist prescribed it.

Why would a psychiatrist be counseling people about nutrition? My boyfriend is a psychiatrist and he admits that he knows less about nutrition than I do.
  • gainesma
    jgc4444 wrote: »
    I WOULD DEFINITELY LISTEN TO EVERY PERSON ON HERE FOR THE MOST PART. IM A DIABETIC AND YOU CANNOT CUT OUT CARBS COMPLETELY. DIABETIC OR NOT. I WOULD CERTAINLY GET A SECOND OPINION. THE ONLY THING YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO EAT IS MEAT. SORRY DONT MEAN TO YELL BUT THAT DR IS A FOOL. CUT BACK MOST DEFINITELY NOT ELIMINATE. JUST MY OPINION.

Agree but you can seriously cut them to 30 to 50g grams just fine. .. Her doctor may be trying to make a point that her diabetes is bad enough that 0 carbs wouldn't hurt her at all...
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    I went to an internal medicine specialist that works with T2D people to reverse it.

I ate around 50-80 and did intense cardio.

It worked T2 is gone. Stayed gone

No carb sounds a bit extreme. I fired by first internist for trying to treat T2 as T1. Meds and just accept it

You can investigate other doctors.

P

• gainesma
    I went to an internal medicine specialist that works with T2D people to reverse it.

I ate around 50-80 and did intense cardio.

It worked T2 is gone. Stayed gone

No carb sounds a bit extreme. I fired by first internist for trying to treat T2 as T1. Meds and just accept it

You can investigate other doctors.

P

■■■ you have to be careful, because diabetes is big business!!! T2D can get into remission with a diet style that limits carbohydrates. I choose ketogenics & after injecting insulin 5 to 6 times a day I now don't inject any insulin nor do I take any pills or other drugs. I'm better controlled eating in a way that doesn't provoke insulin secretion or high blood sugar...■■■ 10 weeks insulin free it's a blessing indeed...