Why is it so hard for me to cut out processed food?

ive been eating it pretty much all my life. I guess everything starts at home and that is true. if my parents made healthy choices then when I got older I would have done the same but the way we ate is how I am eating now. of course ive cut back a lot but I am still early in my journey and its hard to give up those quick microwave dinners, lunch meats and other processed foods. I do know how to cook but Ive never cooked anything that was healthy. I guess with time ill get better with it but is anyone else in the same boat as me? it'd be nice to hear how you changed your ba eating habits.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Make sure you're spicing your home-cooked meals effectively. I found that once I learned to cook, the rest took care of itself. I'd rather eat my own fresh food, so it's not a difficult choice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Giving up processed food entirely is nearly impossible unless you just have a **** ton of time on your hands. Just make good nutritional decisions...there's no reason to give up processed foods entirely. Make sure you're getting your fruit and veg...get your proper nutrition...get your fitness on...stay within your calorie goals and hit you macros...everything else will follow suit.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    sounds like a plan. I kept hearing that I should cut them out for good. I guess its not impossible but its not necessary either
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Ok, so honestly I haven't ever eaten a ton of processed foods, but I will say that it's a learning process. My mom was a great home cook when I was growing up. I ate a lot of processed foods in college and right out of college, as I had limited kitchen space/access in college, and then a lack of know-how once I graduated.
    I got a good cookbook, learned a few simple recipes, and then slowly added on. One of the best things I learned how to do was use my crockpot.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Ok, so honestly I haven't ever eaten a ton of processed foods, but I will say that it's a learning process. My mom was a great home cook when I was growing up. I ate a lot of processed foods in college and right out of college, as I had limited kitchen space/access in college, and then a lack of know-how once I graduated.
    I got a good cookbook, learned a few simple recipes, and then slowly added on. One of the best things I learned how to do was use my crockpot.

I have a crock pot that was given to me that I have never used. maybe I should give it a try
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Eating processed foods has a lot to do with convenience. Sometimes we don't have time to really get into the kitchen to put a small meal together. It takes a while, and over time, you figure out ways to cook your own food without it being a hassle. But again, sometimes, you get home from work and just don't feel like cooking. Processed food isn't great, but it won't kill you. At least it won't kill you fast. So if you eat it, you have time to fight it!
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    1. Advertising
    2. Easy and widely available
    3. Addicting ingredients like high fructose corn syrup that give you highs and lows, just like crack
    4. Drugs like MSG that expand your taste buds and fool you into thinking something has a lot of flavor
    5. Cultural identity with food, like white pasta or white rice
    6. Emotional attachment to foods
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    If you are looking to cut out the frozen meals (which can be really high in sodium) do you have time on the weekends to make a couple of different things that you can just pop into the freezer and take to work with you during the week? Skinnytaste and Emily Bites have a lot of easy recipes that you can make and portion out to make your own frozen meals.
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Cooking can be draining so I try to really to make all my meals once a week in order to limit my processed food thing. It's a easier deal to pop something in the microwave. I know I still have some processed items but it's a process. Continue to clear out things and replace them with good items.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Giving up processed food entirely is nearly impossible unless you just have a **** ton of time on your hands. Just make good nutritional decisions...there's no reason to give up processed foods entirely. Make sure you're getting your fruit and veg...get your proper nutrition...get your fitness on...stay within your calorie goals and hit you macros...everything else will follow suit.

It doesn't take a lot of time as implied to cut out processed foods and eat healthy.

Making good nutritional choices means cutting out the processed crap for good. Sorry, but good health does not come from a box, package or the frozen food isle.

There are plenty of cook books available for making quick meals from scratch. Google is your friend.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    sounds like a plan. I kept hearing that I should cut them out for good. I guess its not impossible but its not necessary either

I guess it depends on if you are eating for health or are you eating to merely cut calories and lose weight???
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Giving up processed food entirely is nearly impossible unless you just have a **** ton of time on your hands.
    I don't agree with this, or at least I think you can limit them quite a bit fairly easily if you pay a little attention.

I have found that cooking/preping my weekly meals on Sunday works really well. Then I have something easy to grab all week. I've also made a pinterest board of healthy foods and use it for ideas when I go grocery shopping.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    And unfortunately, usually processed foods are much cheaper than fresh options. An apple or a cheeseburger. Which gives you the most 'bang' for your buck, the most satietly? Unfortunately in many cases health gets left behind for fast/easy and cheap.

It's scary to see how all the processed food is affecting our children and grandchildren in regards to obesity, high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes!
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Giving up processed food entirely is nearly impossible unless you just have a **** ton of time on your hands.

Respectfully disagree. I work full-time, have a husband and a four year old, am currently uber-pregnant, and take classes online, and cooking is about the smallest portion of my day, all in all. I plan what we will have all week, and I prep some things on Sunday, but you can make nearly anything ahead of time if you want to. I love to cook, and sometimes do spend more time on it, but I don't believe that it's necessary at all. I find it to be a cathartic experience.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    And unfortunately, usually processed foods are much cheaper than fresh options. An apple or a cheeseburger. Which gives you the most 'bang' for your buck, the most satietly? Unfortunately in many cases health gets left behind for fast/easy and cheap.

It's scary to see how all the processed food is affecting our children and grandchildren in regards to obesity, high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes!

I agree! We would all do well to remember that if we don't make time for our health now, we should prepare ourselves to make time for sickness later.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Girl if you have a crock pot YOU ARE GOLDEN !! Get tha baby out dust her off ...killer meals in that thing !! Easy peasy !!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    1. Advertising
    2. Easy and widely available
    3. Addicting ingredients like high fructose corn syrup that give you highs and lows, just like crack
    4. Drugs like MSG that expand your taste buds and fool you into thinking something has a lot of flavor
    5. Cultural identity with food, like white pasta or white rice
    6. Emotional attachment to foods

What the hell are you talking about?
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    If you don't already have it, this is the single best cookbook for beginners if you need basics, like: how to cook pancakes from scratch, how to prepare meat, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Homes-Gardens-Binder-Edition/dp/0696201887/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_title_0

This is the only paper cookbook that I still consistently go back to. Other than that, the internet is really beautiful for finding great recipes using whatever ingredients you happen to have around your kitchen. Just google your ingredients + recipe and you can work with just about anything.

I have a crock pot that was given to me that I have never used. maybe I should give it a try
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    You don't have have to completely give up processed foods to be lean/fit/healthy/whatever

Maked good food choces, hit your macros and exercise, everything will fall into place processed foods are not the enemy preventing your weight loss.

Start with little changes, you are finding it hard because you are tying to completely change your diet all at once which is both difficulty and in fact not necessary
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    I cook three meals a day , stay at home mom...soo have some time to prepare !! I've read that a lot of processed foods have ingredients that become addicting to our bodies !! Not sure if their is science behind it or not but if your CRAVING or withdrawing from it ...it will pass with time ...all my meals are usually fresh , raw materials , except the occassional, canned veggie and my bread !! I've always THOUGHT we were eating pretty good just had to smack myself back into reality it's easy to get lazy !! When your chasing three toddlers all day !! But I watch my condiments !!! Big one and track the calories ask add ingredients into my meals !! That way I can portion what I need ( not want ) for myself !! But let that crock pot be your friend !! Another good one is the grill...or even bake ...baked veggies are TOTALLY different tha. Steamed !! I mean yum !! And you don't have to sit at the stovetop stirring !!