Why is it so hard for me to cut out processed food?

Options

Replies

• LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I think it's perhaps easier to focus on just a couple of things at a time. I started by paying attention to the additives. If a processed food has ton of sodium* and preservatives I searched for a better option in a similar product. Later, I added if it had high fructose corn syrup in it (or was high in added sugar {especially if it was added sugar in things that don't actually NEED added sugar}), etc.

Being healthier is relative.

Try to eat healthier than you did yesterday.

It may only be marginal improvement but it's best to look at these things in the long term. If you eat healthier today than you did yesterday every day, eventually you'll surprise yourself and be eating relatively healthfully.

* Yes, there are reasons to avoid excessive sodium. You need some but there's a reason why there's a recommended daily allowance of it. The amount of salt you need to make stuff taste salty is no where near as high as what boxed foods manufactures need to increase the shelf-life of their products. It's actually easy to stay within the daily allowance of sodium with fresh foods salted to taste. On the other hand it's incredibly easy to go WAY over allowances when consuming tons of prepackaged foods.

And strictly in terms of weight loss, EXCESSIVE sodium makes you retain water, making you feel bloated.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Because tons of time, science and money are poured into making processed food addictive. A great, enlightening article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I know that I will never give up ALL processed foods. I try to limit the amount of processed foods in general. I think moderation is definitely key here.

I try to eat more lean meat, veggies and fruit. Instead of the processed snacks ...I try to grab fruit for snacks.

What's that shopping trick? Shop only on the outside of the aisles? Try that.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    1. Advertising
    2. Easy and widely available
    3. Addicting ingredients like high fructose corn syrup that give you highs and lows, just like crack
    4. Drugs like MSG that expand your taste buds and fool you into thinking something has a lot of flavor
    5. Cultural identity with food, like white pasta or white rice
    6. Emotional attachment to foods

What the hell are you talking about?

same thing I wanna know lol
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    Yeah. I guess it's because so many of the things we're used to are processed. I'm the same - my mum didn't cook, besides heating up frozen meals pretty much. I'm slowly learning how to cook some things on my own, and once you've learnt more things, you'll start to enjoy it because it's actually better food and more rewarding to know you've done it yourself. Spices are tricky, it takes a while and a fair amount of trail and error to make things good. Also, don't think of it as an 'all or nothing' issue. I know I'll probably never cut out all processed foods, but cutting down is better than nothing at all since it's still an improvement. :)
    (feel free to add me as a friend if you like)
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Cutting out processed foods would mean no more crackers, cereal, cheese, ice cream for me.....

Yeah, I could go dreid beans instead of canned (but canned is so convienent), and fresh milled peanut butter instead of jarred (but I like that it's so smooth!)

Would your own homemade 'processed' foods count?
    'Cause canned peaches are still canned peaches....

Or are we talking stuff like frozen ready to eat meals?
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Definitely hard when it's what you've eaten your whole life.

Because I tend to be ultra cheap I see it for the money it takes, it's more cost effective to make my own food than it is to buy pre-made or processed.

As an example:
    I buy two over-medium eggs, 1 cups of chunk hashbrowns, 2 slices of bacon and two slices of toast for about $3.75. A carton of 12 eggs is $2.50, 10 lbs of potatoes is about $6.00 (I use 1/2 lb when I make hashbrowns, a small/med potato), a pack of bacon is around $4-5.00 (16 slices per pack) and a loaf of whole wheat bread is $2.25 (and I don't know for sure but usually has 12 slices that I eat). So if I calculate the price from each food bought and cooked by me it comes to about $1.73 instead of that $3.75 that it costs to have it already prepared for me. That's a $2.02 difference! And you get all the same stuff you just have to make it yourself :)

Other way to make it easier to cook really flavorful foods, experiment with your food tastes too! You will be more excited to eat home cooked if it's fun to make, delicious to eat and satisfying.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ive been eating it pretty much all my life. I guess everything starts at home and that is true. if my parents made healthy choices then when I got older I would have done the same but the way we ate is how I am eating now. of course ive cut back a lot but I am still early in my journey and its hard to give up those quick microwave dinners, lunch meats and other processed foods. I do know how to cook but Ive never cooked anything that was healthy. I guess with time ill get better with it but is anyone else in the same boat as me? it'd be nice to hear how you changed your ba eating habits.

You're 30, you eat them because you choose to.

I changed my bad eating habits by deciding to. I found some foods made me feel bad, so I stopped eating them. Sure, I backslide from time to time, because they're tasty foods, but they make me hurt. I also got tired of spending money on small, marginally good things that I could make more easily and cheaply in general. Or, stuff I just don't need. So I started shopping on the fringes of the market, and that's been great for my pocket book.

It's all an active choice though, and upbringing means nothing. You can choose to change it, or you can choose not to change it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    For those who have "given up processed foods," what do you use to replace honey?
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It's difficult for a lot of people. It has many addicting qualities. Our bodies are meant to store fat for when "famine comes." However, in today's day and age, there is no famine. Our bodies naturally seek out products with the most calories and fat. That's why it is so difficult. You just have to use willpower, suck it up, and get used to it. All things can be enjoyed in moderation. :)
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Organic honey is minimally processed and still considered clean.
    For those who have "given up processed foods," what do you use to replace honey?
  • whiteberry17
    whiteberry17 Posts: 124
    Options
    ive been eating it pretty much all my life. I guess everything starts at home and that is true. if my parents made healthy choices then when I got older I would have done the same but the way we ate is how I am eating now. of course ive cut back a lot but I am still early in my journey and its hard to give up those quick microwave dinners, lunch meats and other processed foods. I do know how to cook but Ive never cooked anything that was healthy. I guess with time ill get better with it but is anyone else in the same boat as me? it'd be nice to hear how you changed your ba eating habits.

To answer you actual question on why is it so hard to cut junk food. Its because when you eat these fatty foods they remain in your blood stream longer so you want it all the time. Its going to take a while for you body to understand that its not going to get this food all the time. Then the cravings go down.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but you know what's in it.
    This! Also it's actually fresh, instead of sitting on a shelf for an extended period of time. Tastes better too, at least to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Cutting out processed foods would mean no more crackers, cereal, cheese, ice cream for me.....

Yeah, I could go dreid beans instead of canned (but canned is so convienent), and fresh milled peanut butter instead of jarred (but I like that it's so smooth!)

Would your own homemade 'processed' foods count?
    'Cause canned peaches are still canned peaches....

Or are we talking stuff like frozen ready to eat meals?

I hear you. You can go over the top with defining "processed foods". I think there is a level of reasonableness that each of us find on our own. Some people love using dry beans. I just buy a can of beans. But, I wouldn't consider that processed. As I said earlier. Processed foods are twinkies and Doritos and Pepsi. That's my definition.

I'm pretty much in this same boat...plus ice cream.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Eating processed foods has a lot to do with convenience. Sometimes we don't have time to really get into the kitchen to put a small meal together. It takes a while, and over time, you figure out ways to cook your own food without it being a hassle. But again, sometimes, you get home from work and just don't feel like cooking. Processed food isn't great, but it won't kill you. At least it won't kill you fast. So if you eat it, you have time to fight it!

This is usually the situation I find myself in. Even though I LOVE cooking and grew up in a home where mom cooked the meals and microwavable meals were all but nonexistent, the whole process of handling prep, cooking, and then cleanup each night as a one-man show gets incredibly annoying. After a day at work, especially when I end up staying late for some reason, I often just don't want to bother with it. Not even the 30-minute meals that actually only take 30 minutes to prepare can help me much at that point.

A workaround I found useful was to try to prepare my meals on the weekends. That way, I can try to get the bulk of my calories from non- or minimally-processed (such as canned goods) sources. Most cookbooks seem to focus on 4 servings or more per recipe, so it's not too hard to spread it out over or increase amountes to cover 5 days.

That way, if / when I turn to processed foods (with a TDEE of over 3000, it can be a challenge to cook enough to simply maintain), it's only to support the non-processed ones.
  • angelh1908
    angelh1908 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Processed foods was never really a large part of my life; my mom cooked everyday when my siblings and I were growing up so, with the exception of some potato chips or a hotdog and lunch meat here or there, we ate home cooked meals practically everyday. Processed/pre-packaged foods came about later in my adult years as a matter of convenience. However when I considered how many calories and how little food come in pre-packaged meals, I figured I came out on top cooking for myself. I get more food for less calories. When a healthy LIFESTYLE came into play a few years ago, then I began focusing on what I was putting in my body. I just decided that if I want to live long and live strong, then eating a lot of "junk" food wouldn;t help me in that process. I still have one of those days every now and again when I just want something that I know is full of calories, sugar, fat, carbs, you name it, and I indulge. But more often than not, I'm eating whole foods, fruits, veggies, lean protein, etc. Not entirely "clean" eating, but healthy eating all the same.

All in all, it's your mind set that has to change initially. Your body/habits can only follow where your mind leads it. It's a process, so think about making the changes needed as often as you can, and try little changes bit by bit. Eventually you'll get to the place you want to be.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Organic honey is minimally processed and still considered clean.
    It's processed by the bees. Honey is not a naturally occurring substance in the strictest sense of the word. I'm sure you know that.

Or, is it just foods that have been altered in some way by those filthy humans that are the issue? If so, do those who avoid processed foods eat navel oranges or seedless grapes?