Why is it so hard for me to cut out processed food?

Options

Replies

• KiKiWoods
    KiKiWoods Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also, simplify your meals a bit and build from there. I enjoy cooking but sometimes there is not time or you just don’t feel like it. But a sandwich made with fresh bread, small amount of good cheese, and veggies can be good for you and is easy. A frozen meal with some added frozen veggies and a salad can still be healthy. I believe in dressing up the processed with some fresh. I guess it is all about planning.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Organic honey is minimally processed and still considered clean.
    For those who have "given up processed foods," what do you use to replace honey?

What is your definition of "clean" foods
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am not one to say that making excuses are ok, but sometimes a little bit of understanding as to WHY certain things are a challenge for you can be really helpful for some. My mom needed to understand why she was craving salty, oily, stuff when she really did want to eat healthier. She would swear up and down that she got more full with a dollar cheeseburger than a salad, even though we all know that it isn't really true if you consider how many calories of each it would take to fill her up. It made all the difference once she understood that we are still evolving and crave whatever will have the most calories for energy, and have not yet evolved to a point where our body signals to us that we have had too much fat, because food ability like we have now is a very recent construct.

This is a pretty concise article on the subject: http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/3-sinister-reasons-youre-addicted-to-junk-food/
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    They're difficult to give up because 1) They're easy, 2) They're fast to prepare and consume, 3) They are engineered to be highly palatable and addictive, 4) The entire structure of how our society deals with food has shifted away from meals cooked in the home on a daily basis to one in which most adults work outside the home and take care of kids, which means that time for food prep and the energy to do it are at a premium for a lot of people, 5) Fresh food is often difficult to spot if you're many generations into consuming processed foods, 6) "Food deserts" make the good stuff harder to find or way too pricey for some low SES people in big cities, 7) The standard American diet (SAD) is extraordinarily calorie dense and based upon pleasure as opposed to nutrition.

I have noticed that on the days that I don't eat whole foods I end up getting pretty sick feeling. Once you make the conscious decision to cut processed stuff out for a week or so - and stick to it - you'll notice a big difference in how you feel, even if you still eat a granola bar once in a while (still processed). I actually like my home cooking way better than most of the stuff in standard restaurants. American food is BLAND!
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192
    Options
    I do question if HFCS is any different than regular table sugar.

Yes there is...a HUGE difference. Aside from the shills in this thread, go to your doctor and have him do a blood sugar test as a baseline. Consume HFCS; do another test. Go back to baseline, consume sugar and do another test.

The results will surprise you.

HFCS is pure poison and horrible for human consumption. For you shills that will argue with me, don't waste your time....and don't forget your T-shirt.

gmo_shill_t_shirt-r0104768abf3f4fa7bc84b9b0f92c59f6_804gs_512.jpg
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    For those who have "given up processed foods," what do you use to replace honey?

What is your definition of "clean" foods

I am confused by this as well. When I say I don't do processed junk, I really mean frozen dinners, boxed meals.... stuff like that. I get kinda aggravated when some yahoo comes on and says something along the lines about how freezing veggies and putting them in a bag is a process, or something like that. You KNOW that is most likely not what people are talking about; you're not making a point, you're being petty. I don't believe that being healthy and eating prepackaged stuff is mutually exclusive, I just don't want it personally, and I eat better when I make my own food. That being said, I have read all kinds of ridiculousness about what is considered clean and what isn't. I can't believe what people panic about sometimes. I mean, you cut out 99% of junk in your diet, but then panic when you find out your agave nectar that you thought was so healthy because it was $6 and has papyrus script on the label has HFCS. So what? You eat like, no other added sugar. Calm your tits.
  • Acg67
    Options

Yes there is...a HUGE difference. Aside from the shills in this thread, go to your doctor and have him do a blood sugar test as a baseline. Consume HFCS; do another test. Go back to baseline, consume sugar and do another test.

The results will surprise you.

HFCS is pure poison and horrible for human consumption. For you shills that will argue with me, don't waste your time....and don't forget your T-shirt.

gmo_shill_t_shirt-r0104768abf3f4fa7bc84b9b0f92c59f6_804gs_512.jpg

LMAO, tinfoil hat much?

Twenty-four-hour endocrine and metabolic profiles following consumption of high-fructose corn syrup-, sucrose-, fructose-, and glucose-sweetened beverages with meals. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 87, No. 5, 1194-1203, May 2008

http://www.ajcn.org/content/87/5/1194.full
    Results:In 34 subjects, 24-h glucose, insulin, leptin, ghrelin, and TG profiles were similar between days that sucrose or HFCS was consumed. Postprandial TG excursions after HFCS or sucrose were larger in men than in women. In the men in whom the effects of 4 sweeteners were compared, the 24-h glucose and insulin responses induced by HFCS and sucrose were intermediate between the lower responses during consumption of fructose and the higher responses during glucose. Unexpectedly, postprandial TG profiles after HFCS or sucrose were not intermediate but comparably high as after pure fructose.

Effects of high-fructose corn syrup and sucrose consumption on circulating glucose, insulin, leptin, and ghrelin and on appetite in normal-weight women. Nutrition. 2007 Feb;23(2):103-12.
    RESULTS:

No significant differences between the two sweeteners were seen in fasting plasma glucose, insulin, leptin, and ghrelin (P > 0.05). The within-day variation in all four items was not different between the two visits (P > 0.05). Net areas under the curve were similar for glucose, insulin, and leptin (P > 0.05). There were no differences in energy or macronutrient intake on day 2. The only appetite variable that differed between sweeteners was desire to eat, which had a higher area under the curve the day after Suc compared with HFCS
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    Why is it so hard for me to cut out processed food?

Because you keep buying it?

Step one: Get a couple of cookbooks (I love "How to Cook Everything: The Basics." It's simple, and shows you how to experiment once you master the basic recipes.)

Step two: Make a weekly meal plan with recipes from the cookbook, including packed lunches that avoid the processed stuff (salads and wraps and stir-fry all work really well for lunches)

Step three: Follow your meal plan.

Step four: Success!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I just buy a can of beans. But, I wouldn't consider that processed.
    When I’m buying something canned or processed I just look to make sure the ingredient list is small. So if it’s beans, the ingredients should be beans, salt, water. If it’s ice cream it should be cream, sugar, salt. I just try to do the best I can.
    I’m sort of torn on this. Dr. Lustig thinks it’s so close as to be pretty much the same. I know there is a slightly different ratio of glucose to fructose, but I also read recently that the ratio is often far more heavily weight to fructose than generally assumed. So who knows. I prefer to stay away from it but I don’t freak out if it’s in something. Similar to vegetable oil/soybean oil which seems to be in all store bought salad dressing but I would rather avoid. I just don’t cook with it and try not to go overboard.
    I’m having flashbacks to the honey processed by beas = fake food made in a lab debate.

I also have not yet made up my mind on GMO but I'm not actively avoiding it right now.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

LMAO, tinfoil hat much?

Twenty-four-hour endocrine and metabolic profiles following consumption of high-fructose corn syrup-, sucrose-, fructose-, and glucose-sweetened beverages with meals. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 87, No. 5, 1194-1203, May 2008

http://www.ajcn.org/content/87/5/1194.full
    Results:In 34 subjects, 24-h glucose, insulin, leptin, ghrelin, and TG profiles were similar between days that sucrose or HFCS was consumed. Postprandial TG excursions after HFCS or sucrose were larger in men than in women. In the men in whom the effects of 4 sweeteners were compared, the 24-h glucose and insulin responses induced by HFCS and sucrose were intermediate between the lower responses during consumption of fructose and the higher responses during glucose. Unexpectedly, postprandial TG profiles after HFCS or sucrose were not intermediate but comparably high as after pure fructose.

Effects of high-fructose corn syrup and sucrose consumption on circulating glucose, insulin, leptin, and ghrelin and on appetite in normal-weight women. Nutrition. 2007 Feb;23(2):103-12.
    RESULTS:

No significant differences between the two sweeteners were seen in fasting plasma glucose, insulin, leptin, and ghrelin (P > 0.05). The within-day variation in all four items was not different between the two visits (P > 0.05). Net areas under the curve were similar for glucose, insulin, and leptin (P > 0.05). There were no differences in energy or macronutrient intake on day 2. The only appetite variable that differed between sweeteners was desire to eat, which had a higher area under the curve the day after Suc compared with HFCS

The problem with your response is that the well has already been poisoned... how can I believe any of what you are saying when you are obviously a shill by the simple act of not agreeing with the post you quoted? And quoting science to boot!</snark>
  • Jmchao
    Jmchao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Also, simplify your meals a bit and build from there. I enjoy cooking but sometimes there is not time or you just don’t feel like it. But a sandwich made with fresh bread, small amount of good cheese, and veggies can be good for you and is easy. A frozen meal with some added frozen veggies and a salad can still be healthy. I believe in dressing up the processed with some fresh. I guess it is all about planning.

This...try starting out by supplementing your frozen meals with healthy sides. Add a small, quick salad, or a fat free yogurt. I had to break from the "grab-n-go" habit myself several years ago. I used to always pack a frozen meal for lunch at work and ate another for dinner at home. I decided to start looking at what my "favorite" frozen meals were and tried recreating them myself in my own kitchen. Some were surprisingly easy, and MUCH better tasting! Use your 'favorites' as inspiration for some home-cooked meals, make a bit more, and you'll have leftovers to nuke up during the week for a quick lunch/dinner.

I agree-dust off that crock pot! And set aside a few hours a week to prep as much as you can in advance. LOTS of easy recipes online, or good books you can find at your local library. Look online for crockpot meals you can prep ahead and toss in the freezer so all you have to do is take one out when you go to bed, toss the contents into the crockpot before work, and go!

I find we tend to shop on Saturdays and prep a few things then and a few on Sunday. For example, we buy fresh fruit in bulk on Saturdays and my husband and I spend a few minutes chatting in the kitchen as we wash/cut/prep the fruit and divide it into small plastic containers. We actually have to do this at least twice a week since the fruit gets eaten so quickly! But, if we leave it all "as is" in it's packaging, we throw it out when it goes bad. Bonus: Hubby and I are guaranteed a few hours a week of uninterrupted chatting time as the girls want none of that responsibility! LOL

Sundays we try to cook what we can in advance, or at least set out what we need for the week. We buy meat in large packages at Sam's Club, so we split it up into smaller portions that we'll need for meals for the week. If we can, we'll cook it up on Sunday and reheat the night we need it. Having it simply in the right package size we'll need makes things easier during the week. We buy a lot of eggs and will hard-boil a dozen or more and peel them and store them in a plastic container. Easy to grab as a snack or add some protein to a salad.

Salad stuff: we don't like to toss a full salad on Saturday because the veggies tend to wilt/go bad at different rates, so we grab some plastic containers and in one we'll slice up the cucumbers; another the carrots; another the peppers, etc. That way, if one goes bad before the other, the whole salad isn't ruined. And making a salad is as simple as grabbing the containers and tossing everything into one bowl-takes a minute or less! Super easy, super fast during the week. Sometimes we'll even toss some seasoned chicken into the oven, slice it up, and have that ready to add to salads, too.

When I've had a particularly busy week ahead of me, I've even prepped sandwich stuff in advance for school lunches for the girls!! Yep, I'd take the deli meat (arguably processed, but I do pay the extra $$ for the lower sodium, mostly pronounceable ingredients) and cheese and separate out what I'll need for sandwiches and store them in a sandwich container in the fridge. Then all i have to do in the morning is slap that stuff between two slices of bread, toss some condiments on and toss it back into the sandwich container!

Veggies at dinner...lots of good options in the freezer section. Look up online how to dress them up a bit, maybe with some olive oil and seasonings. I've steamed up veggies in the pre-packaged packages, tossed into a bowl and added a few seasonings. Super quick and adds some extra flavors. Or, Ziploc makes steamable bags for fresh veggies in the microwave. I tend to prefer the stove-top steamers, but in a quick pinch, I'll grab one o those (they can be pricey). Steam up some broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, beans, carrots, etc. etc. etc.

Got a grill? Marinate some meat over the week and toss that onto the grill. There are a lot of easy, delicious marinade recipes online. And don't forget fruit on the grill! YUMMY! Our favorites are peaches and pineapple.

So, if you're interested in learning to phase out some of your processed foods, you have some ideas how to start. Good luck!!
  • g0tr00t
    Options
    Strong ad hominem and n=1. So I take it you have no actual evidence and are just fear mongering?
    Shocking

4390327642_91f729a25b.jpg
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Strong ad hominem and n=1. So I take it you have no actual evidence and are just fear mongering?
    Shocking

4390327642_91f729a25b.jpg

LOL

Ad hominem and fear mongering. No actual evidence I see.

I suppose this guy is nothing but a shill too.

http://www.marklynas.org/2013/04/time-to-call-out-the-anti-gmo-conspiracy-theory/
  • g0tr00t
    Options
    LOL

http://www.marklynas.org/2013/04/time-to-call-out-the-anti-gmo-conspiracy-theory/

From your FDA buddies, shill:
    http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012203/02P-0317_emc-000199.txt

You going to call BS on that too?

I have no problem with science making better food and helping people, its when the obvious results of negative effects on humans is ignored to fatten the profit margin that angers me.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I think processed foods have tasty things we crave inserted in it, and they are so easy to get, rather than spending time cooking and such like that.

I think the added things are truly addicting and they TASTE GOOD. well until you start eating healthier then your tastes will change.

right now, that hamburger at the fast food place looks like too much, too ick.. but 2 months ago i would have been salivating at the picture of it. my appetite has gone down, so i dont crave that..

but its really addicting for sure.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    1. Advertising
    2. Easy and widely available
    3. Addicting ingredients like high fructose corn syrup that give you highs and lows, just like crack
    4. Drugs like MSG that expand your taste buds and fool you into thinking something has a lot of flavor
    5. Cultural identity with food, like white pasta or white rice
    6. Emotional attachment to foods

THIS IS SO TRUE!!!!!!
  • MichelleLoseW8
    Options
    Not true!! My mom cooked most of our meals fresh. We ate mostly Veggies w/rice and a little meat. We ate a lot of fish, tofu, chicken. We ate out like once a month as a treat. My unhealthy habits started AFTER I got married.
  • Acg67
    Options
    LOL

From your FDA buddies, shill:
    http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012203/02P-0317_emc-000199.txt

You going to call BS on that too?

I have no problem with science making better food and helping people, its when the obvious results of negative effects on humans is ignored to fatten the profit margin that angers me.

If it's so obvious you should have been able to produce actual evidence, not garbage

• NonnyMary
    Options
    You don't have have to completely give up processed foods to be lean/fit/healthy/whatever

Maked good food choces, hit your macros and exercise, everything will fall into place processed foods are not the enemy preventing your weight loss.

Start with little changes, you are finding it hard because you are tying to completely change your diet all at once which is both difficulty and in fact not necessary

SO SO SO TRUE!!!!!
  • MichelleLoseW8
    Options
    :flowerforyou: