Losing Weight is NOT that simple..imo..

Options

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Good post. I see it all the time certain posters become parrots and even though their message isn't directed at ME, it bugs the stink out of me to see the same patronizing
    "Eat at a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight" message.

Everyones journey is different.

Yes everyone's "journey" is different. However, the science of weight loss is the same.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Good post. I see it all the time certain posters become parrots and even though their message isn't directed at ME, it bugs the stink out of me to see the same patronizing
    "Eat at a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight" message.

Everyones journey is different.

@kittywrangler - so what should the message be?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    While everyone may be different, CICO applies to us all. It's the common denominator to all the diet plans and programs out there.

Thank you for arguing this for the 10,000th time when nobody has disputed it.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    ^^Good thing he asked! I didn't realize this was a "mean people of MFP" post

More like overly snark and elitist people on MFP...this should be a place for those to feel any question is a good question, because we're all in it together.

But you didn't ask any questions in your original post. You claimed CICO doesn't work, too hard and filled with inaccuracies.

I literally didn't claim any of those things..did you read my first post? Literally the entire purpose was to express how pointless the advice of "just eat less calories than you burn" is..like someone else pointed out, it's like telling an alcoholic "hey..just don't drink anymore"...but what it does accomplish is furthering that persons frustration but making something they find very difficult and unknown, seem like a basic math problem.

So we should stop telling people to use CICO? And let them believe it's hard? Because CICO isn't hard, what IS hard is actually making the commitment to maintaining a deficit through the method of your choice, and following through. And it's also hard for people to accept that maybe there are things they are doing wrong, that need to be corrected. It's easier to blame the culprit of your choice (fats, carbs, metabolism, starvation mode, etc) than it is to accept that the difficulty is within.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    ariamythe wrote: »
    But sometimes people need to see the second step in order to grasp the first step. Sometimes understanding CICO comes when they get help in that process. There is the truth or fact of CICO and there is how to apply it in my setting.

Agreed. Telling someone just that losing weight is all about CICO is about as helpful as telling someone that the proper way to prepare dinner is to cook the food. It's kind of self-evident, and it's definitely true, but it doesn't help at all in the process to achieve that end result. There are steps to cooking food, and there are steps to achieving CICO.

Agreed. Even if a person has no clue how many calories are in anything, most adults realize that the more you eat the more you will gain, and the way to lose is to eat less. Great. However if it was that simple, nobody would be overweight. What most people are really looking for is help with specific strategies to do that. Instead they get 17 people who will beat them over the head with the "it's all just CICO".

Simple doesn't mean easy. And simple is often overlooked in the multi-million dollar diet and weight loss industry. Simple is hard to make money off.

It is all CICO. Actually doing it is a lot harder. Accurately logging and weighing is not something most are accustomed. Following all these rules and diet plans that guarantee success is something that people are used to. I've fallen victim to that more times than I could count. I failed on most of them. That is why I was overweight, not because I couldn't count but because I was convinced it was more complicated than just counting.

So I will say CICO til the cows come home. If that grates, please feel free to ignore me. I will still say it for those who it might make a difference for...like it did for me.

It doesn't grate, I just don't think it is very helpful.

But we disagree, so that's just how it is.

And I think it is super helpful. Lucky thing the internet allows for both to exist, so we're good.

I agree. I wouldn't be where I am today, if it weren't for the forums and all the people that were helpful and giving correct information.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes...thank you OP!!

I get it and think the exact same things. Measuring your food to the hundredths point doesn't matter when the fda approves a 20% margin in accuracy.

It's not easy and crazy weighing is fringing on disordered eating.

I like you.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Maybe MFP should not allow new members to post until they've scrolled through at least 5 pages of newb threads... then, we won't see the same questions asked, and the same answers given. Then maybe people won't make threads about members harping on about CICO. :p
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    ariamythe wrote: »
    But sometimes people need to see the second step in order to grasp the first step. Sometimes understanding CICO comes when they get help in that process. There is the truth or fact of CICO and there is how to apply it in my setting.

Agreed. Telling someone just that losing weight is all about CICO is about as helpful as telling someone that the proper way to prepare dinner is to cook the food. It's kind of self-evident, and it's definitely true, but it doesn't help at all in the process to achieve that end result. There are steps to cooking food, and there are steps to achieving CICO.

Agreed. Even if a person has no clue how many calories are in anything, most adults realize that the more you eat the more you will gain, and the way to lose is to eat less. Great. However if it was that simple, nobody would be overweight. What most people are really looking for is help with specific strategies to do that. Instead they get 17 people who will beat them over the head with the "it's all just CICO".

Simple doesn't mean easy. And simple is often overlooked in the multi-million dollar diet and weight loss industry. Simple is hard to make money off.

It is all CICO. Actually doing it is a lot harder. Accurately logging and weighing is not something most are accustomed. Following all these rules and diet plans that guarantee success is something that people are used to. I've fallen victim to that more times than I could count. I failed on most of them. That is why I was overweight, not because I couldn't count but because I was convinced it was more complicated than just counting.

So I will say CICO til the cows come home. If that grates, please feel free to ignore me. I will still say it for those who it might make a difference for...like it did for me.

It doesn't grate, I just don't think it is very helpful.

But we disagree, so that's just how it is.

And I think it is super helpful. Lucky thing the internet allows for both to exist, so we're good.

I agree. I wouldn't be where I am today, if it weren't for the forums and all the people that were helpful and giving correct information.

Me three. I've reached a weight I never thought possible, by learning to accurately count calories with the help of a food scale, and making smarter choices.
  • Kalikel
    Options

More like overly snark and elitist people on MFP...this should be a place for those to feel any question is a good question, because we're all in it together.

But you didn't ask any questions in your original post. You claimed CICO doesn't work, too hard and filled with inaccuracies.

I literally didn't claim any of those things..did you read my first post? Literally the entire purpose was to express how pointless the advice of "just eat less calories than you burn" is..like someone else pointed out, it's like telling an alcoholic "hey..just don't drink anymore"...but what it does accomplish is furthering that persons frustration but making something they find very difficult and unknown, seem like a basic math problem.

So we should stop telling people to use CICO? And let them believe it's hard? Because CICO isn't hard, what IS hard is actually making the commitment to maintaining a deficit through the method of your choice, and following through. And it's also hard for people to accept that maybe there are things they are doing wrong, that need to be corrected. It's easier to blame the culprit of your choice (fats, carbs, metabolism, starvation mode, etc) than it is to accept that the difficulty is within.
    It's not real helpful to OPs when they say they're having a hard time and a bunch of people come in to brag, "It's easy for me!"

Who does that help?
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Maybe MFP should not allow new members to post until they've scrolled through at least 5 pages of newb threads... then, we won't see the same questions asked, and the same answers given. Then maybe people won't make threads about members harping on about CICO. :p
    If the threads upset you and you're tired of answering the same questions over and over, don't answer them. That's easy enough, right?
  • Serah87
    Options
    Yes...thank you OP!!

I get it and think the exact same things. Measuring your food to the hundredths point doesn't matter when the fda approves a 20% margin in accuracy.

It's not easy and crazy weighing is fringing on disordered eating.

I like you.

I been weighing my food for over 2 years now, have no ED.

ED is when I was eating 900 calories so I could lose weight fast. Yep, I did that about 6 or so years ago, lost the weight and regain it plus some.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

It's not real helpful to OPs when they say they're having a hard time and a bunch of people come in to brag, "It's easy for me!"

Who does that help?

I haven't seen anyone brag in the threads I have been in. Even the diet pill ones. Many more people give encouragement than just say "well I have self control so you should too" it's more like "we've been there, keep on going, make sure you're on point with your calories and the weight will drop off again" so that's a pretty big exaggeration.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    I can't count how many times I have offered advice on how to log accurately etc etc. I don't go in posts and brag it was easy. I do feel that it does people a disservice to emphasize how hard it is, as to me, it comes down to lifestyle, commitment, and daily choices. No one knows how hard it will be for someone else, as no one knows how those three elements will come into play for that individual.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    If the threads upset you and you're tired of answering the same questions over and over, don't answer them. That's easy enough, right?

Personally, I'd rather stay and try to help others, but I know there are some who would rather we all just went away.
  • Serah87
    Options

Who does that help?
    I have never seen anyone do that.

First question I always ask is "Do you weigh your food?"
  • Serah87
    Options

Personally, I'd rather stay and try to help others, but I know there are some who would rather we all just went away.

Agree.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options

What kind of answer do people want? No one has special snowflake syndrome on MFP. The long-time members make that clear. This isn't JUST for supporting people in whatever they choose to do. People also dispel weight loss myths and diet scams. It wouldn't be logical to expect anything but the scientific truth, and if people were to stop posting, then the forums would be dead a lot of the time. I think that would suck.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Who does that help?
    I have never seen anyone do that.

First question I always ask is "Do you weigh your food?"

Yes, and we're being told this is useless. I'll add myself to the list of people waiting to hear what a more useful response might be.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Who does that help?

I haven't seen anyone brag in the threads I have been in. Even the diet pill ones. Many more people give encouragement than just say "well I have self control so you should too" it's more like "we've been there, keep on going, make sure you're on point with your calories and the weight will drop off again" so that's a pretty big exaggeration.
    They do it all the time. I think someone did it in this thread. It's very common.

Diet bragging, food bragging, twisting things around to make them things they aren't, arguing for CICO when nobody argued against it. So very common.