PROTEIN.... HOW MANY GRAMS A DAY TO YOU EAT?

Options

Replies

• ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    You guys are killing it with protein! My daily goal is 80 g/day. I try to get closer to 100 but that's very difficult for me. I'm not a vegetarian but tend to prefer more carby foods, so i'm usually happy if I can get past 80. I eat quite a bit of greek yogurt and eggs and have meat in at least 2 meals a day usually but still struggle to get enough.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    wow. I need to up my protein game.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yeahfatty wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea how you guys are getting so high on protein. If I REALLY try, I just about reach 100g. Are you all drinking protein shakes or eating meat with every meal? I don't understand. >_<

I eat a significant source of protein with every meal. For breakfast that often means eggs+dairy, but commonly might include meat instead of the dairy (usually smoked salmon, but last week it was leftover chicken and this week I have some bacon from a farm I've been eating). When I have just oatmeal, fruit, and veggies, I will add protein powder to the oatmeal as I think it's more filling that way. If I don't have meat with lunch or dinner I'll make sure it includes a good source of protein like lentils or tofu and often supplement that with some dairy (cottage cheese or greek yogurt).

Meat includes fish/seafood, and I do eat a lot of that.

Getting protein and vegetables at all meals is my main nutrition goal.
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My goal is 100g, but I'm always over. Usually around 120+
  • rmboehm67
    rmboehm67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    235 grams. I take 2 protein shakes a day (27 grams each) which leaves me with 181 grams to consume.

I eat 5 meals a day with about 4oz of meat per meal (this generally is 20-24 grams of protein with varying levels of fat).

If you are struggling to get protein in your diet try using ground meats. The prep is simple and it mixes well with any side dish.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    yeahfatty wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea how you guys are getting so high on protein. If I REALLY try, I just about reach 100g. Are you all drinking protein shakes or eating meat with every meal? I don't understand. >_<

No protein shake here but I do eat a protein bar every day. I eat protein with every meal, whether it be from greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or meat. I even get some in my dessert as well.
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see how much the answers actually vary. And when you try to find recommended amounts on the net, the recommendations vary almost as much, it seems crazy to me that the #'s or %'s would vary sooooooo much. MFP set me up at 20% of 1200 calories, or 60 grams per day. I felt that was too low & bumped it up to 30% & 90 grams which I still try to go over more often than not.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    wow. I need to up my protein game.

Maybe. It depends on how much you eat and your goals and, I believe, your genetics. Many people on this site eat well above the medical recommendation for health because they have goals beyond health.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I try for 150+
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Another way of looking at it is that the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range is 10-35% of calories for protein. So at 3000 calories that's up to about 250 grams/day, at 1200 it's about 100 grams as a ceiling.

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/ puts me at 65 grams.

OMG, Sorry but that calculator is WAYYYYYYYYYYY off !
    If I followed that sites advice, I would be morbidly obese
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I try to get 150+ daily, but don't always get it. I just finished lunch and am at 96g so far, so basically on track today.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I usually hit 120 g daily, which is not hard for me as I sometimes hit 150 g without even trying. The only time I have problems hitting my protein goal is when I travel and carbs are just easier to consume on the road. Even then, I'm hitting 100 g daily.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    arv51862 wrote: »
    Another way of looking at it is that the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range is 10-35% of calories for protein. So at 3000 calories that's up to about 250 grams/day, at 1200 it's about 100 grams as a ceiling.

Really? The USDA calculator put me within 100 calories of my calculated TDEE, far from morbid obesity. Of course, these are guidelines for health care professionals, so in theory this would be a starting point and a follow up should have your calorie intake adjusted if you are gaining/losing weight and following the guideline.

So what is your real problem with it? My only problem is with their description of activity levels (which hopefully the health care professionals would have recognized). Very active should be professional/college sports players who practice daily for 5-6 hours and play on the weekends.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

The calories look about right for me, but the macros are way off what I prefer, and I think it's odd that it recommends the minimum for protein but a wide range for carbs and fat.

Also, I looked up the reasoning for the 10-35% percentage recommendation (mainly to see if it varied for someone on a deficit) and the reasoning was pretty lame: this is what's leftover based on our recommended fat and carbs ranges. Given that the carbs range is 45-65% (which is more than I eat, and I don't do anything close to a low carb plan), the number seems to be based on an assumption that people need way more carbs than they in fact do. (Many people can thrive on that range, but claiming it's the "healthy" range is a different story--I think there's much more flexibility than that.)

It also ignores the benefits that have been found re higher protein levels.
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Theoretically I should be eating around 100 grams (1g per lb lean body mass) but I have a hard time getting over 80 most days. If I eat a quest bar in the afternoons I can hit it.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    50-90 on average.
  • zoina_
    zoina_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    (based on 1gr per body pound for overweight-not obese - people)
    160gr per day since i am trying to lose fat and maintain or even build muscle. While i am leaning down i will readjust it until i get to the point of 1gr per pound of lean body mass :smile:
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I aim for my lean body mass, which comes to around 190 g's. I dont always hit it daily because im on a strict food budget at the moment, but I always try to come close.
  • u74s1r
    u74s1r Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I'm constantly hitting 200+

If you're living an active lifestyle, in the gym regularly and lifting heavy you probably need that. Just keep in mind that with the protein increase there should also be an H2O increase due to the extra work the kidneys have to do in order to eliminate all of the protein byproducts.

More importantly however is WHERE this protein coming from. Lean cuts of meat? Protein shakes/drinks? A small protein "boost" via drink/shakes is ok but one should NEVER rely on unnatural means to increase his protein as a majority or sole source. There is absolutely NO substitute for getting the majority of your protein via real food.

Many young people, the 20s-30s stereo-typical gym rats, make the mistake of doing protein loading post-workout and as a result become deficient in many other minerals essential to good health and body function.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The calories look about right for me, but the macros are way off what I prefer, and I think it's odd that it recommends the minimum for protein but a wide range for carbs and fat.

Also, I looked up the reasoning for the 10-35% percentage recommendation (mainly to see if it varied for someone on a deficit) and the reasoning was pretty lame: this is what's leftover based on our recommended fat and carbs ranges. Given that the carbs range is 45-65% (which is more than I eat, and I don't do anything close to a low carb plan), the number seems to be based on an assumption that people need way more carbs than they in fact do. (Many people can thrive on that range, but claiming it's the "healthy" range is a different story--I think there's much more flexibility than that.)

It also ignores the benefits that have been found re higher protein levels.

I think the data is from 2010, it gets updated I believe every 10 yrs or so. It should be updated more often.