Options

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    taotech2 wrote: »
    I think this thread is about done for but I'll put a thought out there anyway. The junk food doesn't just hurt through weight gain, it is unhealthy in many areas, from the processing, chemicals and preservatives to the calories and sugar. Weight is certainly a concern but so are other issues. If there are children and family commitments, don't we owe it to each other to be good examples and be around and healthy as long as possible? Not saying we should be perfect all the time, it's what we do regularly that has the most impact on our health. Our family has a single cabinet for processed foods and the rest of the kitchen we try to be as healthfully stocked as possible. And, when we go out we'll indulge. There is no right way for everyone, just what works for you as a whole body solution.

For me this is a lot of nope.

If and when I have children, I am going to teach them the beauty and wisdom of moderation. I am going to teach them that all food is welcome in their diet. I will allow them to make choices and remind them that no food is good or bad.

Good luck with that. When my son was 3 he woke up one morning and decided he didn't like meat and refused to eat it. Obviously at 3 there was no declaration or anything. He just continued to say "no". He also refused to eat eggs, peanut butter and all fruits. The only things he would eat were yogurt and vegetables. While that might sound ideal, it wasn't. Beans? No. Rice? No. Milk? Nope. Cheese? No. It was maddening.

Poor kid lived on Breyers Fruit on the Bottom yogurt, broccoli and tomatoes for a year until he woke up one morning asking for a hamburger. After that morning he just started eating everything. The relief was immeasurable.

Ah. But this is different than having told him that any of those things are bad and you shouldn't eat them ever, which is what @shell1005 was talking about.

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I think this thread is about done for but I'll put a thought out there anyway. The junk food doesn't just hurt through weight gain, it is unhealthy in many areas, from the processing, chemicals and preservatives to the calories and sugar. Weight is certainly a concern but so are other issues. If there are children and family commitments, don't we owe it to each other to be good examples and be around and healthy as long as possible? Not saying we should be perfect all the time, it's what we do regularly that has the most impact on our health. Our family has a single cabinet for processed foods and the rest of the kitchen we try to be as healthfully stocked as possible. And, when we go out we'll indulge. There is no right way for everyone, just what works for you as a whole body solution.

If and when I have children, I am going to teach them the beauty and wisdom of moderation. I am going to teach them that all food is welcome in their diet. I will allow them to make choices and remind them that no food is good or bad.

Good luck with that. When my son was 3 he woke up one morning and decided he didn't like meat and refused to eat it. Obviously at 3 there was no declaration or anything. He just continued to say "no". He also refused to eat eggs, peanut butter and all fruits. The only things he would eat were yogurt and vegetables. While that might sound ideal, it wasn't. Beans? No. Rice? No. Milk? Nope. Cheese? No. It was maddening.

Poor kid lived on Breyers Fruit on the Bottom yogurt, broccoli and tomatoes for a year until he woke up one morning asking for a hamburger. After that morning he just started eating everything. The relief was immeasurable.

Ah. But this is different than having told him that any of those things are bad and you shouldn't eat them ever, which is what @shell1005 was talking about.

Very good point.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Matahairi wrote: »
    If you are a food addict and can't stay away from your trigger foods, my opinion is that the household HAS to help you through this.
    I am a food addict. My hubby loves junk food and lots of it, so I gave him my list of my 5 trigger foods that simply can't be in my house. If they are, he has to lock them in a briefcase that I don't know the combination. On the occasion he leaves them out, I told him that I must throw them away. It's just too difficult for me to be tempted. I gotta make ONE place in my life that's my safety zone. At work, I'm tortured with goodies and junk all day, every day.
    If you had a drug addict or an alcoholic for a spouse or child, would you torture them with putting their drug in the house? I would think not.
    Addicts need all the support we can get. We have to eat 3 times a day, every day and it's a challenge just to get through that some days. It's NOT just the addict's issue alone.

Your friendly dietitian
    Jenn

This post scares the absolute bejessus out of me. Seriously.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This. My kids already make comments like "cheese is bad for you". They are 4 and 6. I have no idea where they get this from. We try to teach them that there is no such thing as a bad food, but you can eat too much of any food and that can make you feel bad or not be as strong and healthy as you might be by making sure that you eat nutritious foods and the yummy foods as well. Putting things in some sort of special cabinet that teaches kids there is something inferior about those foods, I think, could lead to disordered thinking down the road.

My son is six and he brings these questions home from school. It was a lot of wanting to know how much protein was in a food, if it was "healthy" or "unhealthy," and stuff like that. It's challenging to strike a balance of "not making food such a big deal that kids develop a complex about it" and "learning about moderation and listening to what your body needs."

There's also some impact of living with a mother who has lost a large amount of weight and changed food habits since he was younger. He overhears a lot about calories and food from my conversations with friends, though I've started to curb that now that I know he's listening to and absorbing that information.
  • Caligirl4soccer
    Caligirl4soccer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm very suprised where this post has gone. To clarify for everyone I am not terribly overweight. Actually I am a college soccer coach who puts in over 10000 steps a day and strength trains twice a week with a personal trainer. I am just really trying to get over the hump of not eating that much processed foods like pop tarts. We do have a designated cabinet for the family where snacks are stored. My husband and I have a great relationship and I do agree with everyone who stated I should not ask him not to bring those foods in the home. Actually pop tarts have not been in our house for weeks. I could go on for awhile about my response but I will be honest wow some people on this site sure jump to crazy conclusions. Some that stick out in my memory is ..we should get a divorce...I'm a binge eater....I'm extremely overweight....I have a food addiction. For all of you that gave sincere caring comments I appreciate you and definitely took your advice. However we do not need to lock cabinets in my house that is a little extreme for me. Finally I am a healthy person just trying to become even more healthy lose some weight and tone up. Thank you to everyone who took time to give me supportive advice that sometimes people like me just need to hear at the time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,867 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lizskwar wrote: »
    Wow. I'm very suprised where this post has gone. To clarify for everyone I am not terribly overweight. Actually I am a college soccer coach who puts in over 10000 steps a day and strength trains twice a week with a personal trainer. I am just really trying to get over the hump of not eating that much processed foods like pop tarts. We do have a designated cabinet for the family where snacks are stored. My husband and I have a great relationship and I do agree with everyone who stated I should not ask him not to bring those foods in the home. Actually pop tarts have not been in our house for weeks. I could go on for awhile about my response but I will be honest wow some people on this site sure jump to crazy conclusions. Some that stick out in my memory is ..we should get a divorce...I'm a binge eater....I'm extremely overweight....I have a food addiction. For all of you that gave sincere caring comments I appreciate you and definitely took your advice. However we do not need to lock cabinets in my house that is a little extreme for me. Finally I am a healthy person just trying to become even more healthy lose some weight and tone up. Thank you to everyone who took time to give me supportive advice that sometimes people like me just need to hear at the time.

It doesn't surprise me at all where this post has gone.

It might have helped if you had clarified these things in the beginning. But instead you chose to post something very vague and let everyone jump to conclusions.

Still ... the cat meme was great! :smiley:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

It might have helped if you had clarified these things in the beginning. But instead you chose to post something very vague and let everyone jump to conclusions.

Yup, your original post made it sound way more dire.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Even though I tell my husband to stop buying junk food, etc. Pop tarts, chips, sugary cereal he still does. If it is in the house I eventually cave and give in and eat it. I have had this conversation with him many times and he says he does support me and that I should be able to resist the foods. I don't know how to make it so clear to him it has to stop. Please give me some suggestions to stop my husband from bringing junk food in the housr.

Hey there. This is obviously difficult and frustrating for both of you. Like another poster said why don't you put a lock on a cupboard until you can control your cravings and then have more harmony at home?

Stress can be food triggers too so a little peace may help all the family :)
  • rhiannonarmstrong31
    rhiannonarmstrong31 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If my partner was an alcoholic I wouldn't buy alcohol for me and keep it in the house...
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Pop tarts aren't alcohol to an alcoholic, FFS. Read OP's recent response on this page. It wasn't even that big a deal.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Wow. Well, i overeat and it's a problem, so my partner shouldn't buy food. Lol.

Actually, how we deal with this is my husband buys whatever and then hides it where i can't see it. I have found it quite often just because i wander the kitchen trying to figure out where, exactly, he put the pot that was supposed to be over here, or where he put the extra jar of mayonnaise that i told him to put on that shelf. Haha. But if i find it, i don't usually care. I do eat it sometimes, though. Fair game, right? ;p
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Wow. Well, i overeat and it's a problem, so my partner shouldn't buy food. Lol.

Actually, how we deal with this is my husband buys whatever and then hides it where i can't see it. I have found it quite often just because i wander the kitchen trying to figure out where, exactly, he put the pot that was supposed to be over here, or where he put the extra jar of mayonnaise that i told him to put on that shelf. Haha. But if i find it, i don't usually care. I do eat it sometimes, though. Fair game, right? ;p

Haahaa if you win the game, you win the food!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yup, your original post made it sound way more dire.

Yes, this.

Also, the clarification from the OP that her situation isn't dire, that she doesn't consider herself a food addict, doesn't have binge eating disorder, etc is precisely why people ask questions when someone posts on here that they want to cut out all sugar or go on an extreme diet. Often asking someone why they think they need to do that, or asking them if they've considered or tried moderation, is met with hostility from other posters saying that people are mean, unsupportive, and pushing an agenda. But this is a perfect example of why those questions are totally appropriate. This poster is someone who is trying to cut down on processed food and wants some strategies for dealing with it at home. I'd ask her to clarify her definition of processed, because I find that vague and not a particularly helpful label since almost everything we eat is processed in some way, but then I would probably get labeled as working for Big Poptart...
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ask him to hide the trigger foods when he buys them so you don't even know they are in the house. With that said, if you do see him eating it, try not to chastise him for it. I've had to learn that the hard way too. My hub supports me, but isn't quite ready to give up his terrible eating habits lol.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Folks our problems are NOT trigger foods on table/counter top etc.

Folks our problem lie behind our eyes and between our ears and we have to come to grips with that fact.

What my family wants to eat is their business since the kids turn 18 next month. What I want to eat is my business.

If we have to control others to lose weight we WILL die fat.

We either break the addiction or die younger than needed but FAT.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If my partner was an alcoholic I wouldn't buy alcohol for me and keep it in the house...

good thing eating candy isn't remotely the same as being an alcoholic.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

That escalated quickly and isn't even CLOSE to what OP's concerns were.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm very suprised where this post has gone. To clarify for everyone I am not terribly overweight. Actually I am a college soccer coach who puts in over 10000 steps a day and strength trains twice a week with a personal trainer. I am just really trying to get over the hump of not eating that much processed foods like pop tarts. We do have a designated cabinet for the family where snacks are stored. My husband and I have a great relationship and I do agree with everyone who stated I should not ask him not to bring those foods in the home. Actually pop tarts have not been in our house for weeks. I could go on for awhile about my response but I will be honest wow some people on this site sure jump to crazy conclusions. Some that stick out in my memory is ..we should get a divorce...I'm a binge eater....I'm extremely overweight....I have a food addiction.

To be fair to the posters in this thread, this descriptions bears little to no resemblance to your first post and original question.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Folks our problems are NOT trigger foods on table/counter top etc.

Folks our problem lie behind our eyes and between our ears and we have to come to grips with that fact.

What my family wants to eat is their business since the kids turn 18 next month. What I want to eat is my business.

If we have to control others to lose weight we WILL die fat.

We either break the addiction or die younger than needed but FAT.

wut...???

for the record, I don't care what your family eats...

when someone posts on a public thread about their diet, then they are going to get all manner of responses.

the rest of your post makes no sense.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

this should of been your OP, as your original OP mentioned none of this.