The Cleanse

Options

Replies

• kimmiebrito
    kimmiebrito Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    The world cleanse is the problem. It fools people into thinking something special is happening when it's not. People can juice if they like but they are no better off than someone who eats the fruit whole. Also it's not something everyone can sustain for long periods

Actually, it's just a little better than eating it whole because you can absorb more of the nutrients than when it's in its solid state & also, when you juice the foods you can eat more in a single sitting. So it'd be easier to eat 1 Apple 3 cups of kale 1 banana & 2 cups of water in one drink than just to eat all of those foods whole at once.. Just has to do with convenience on that part.
    No, no it's not better ...you cannot absorb more because it's in juice format from the same amount of ingredients...and why would you..

The body can only use so much protein, vitamins, minerals and the rest is excreted ...balance your diet with real food and you can meet nutritional targets easily

Juice if you prefer drinking your calories

But there are no magical qualities in liquefying food and for many that 250 calorie hit of juice would be far less satisfying than if taken as real food, chewed and digested
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/04/19/juicing-benefits.aspx
  • kimmiebrito
    kimmiebrito Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Also the fact that hunger signals take a while to reach the brain...slowing done the process by chewing over gulping down in a juice format can actually aid the weight loss process

http://www.fnri.dost.gov.ph/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=585
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're kidding me with those right?

• Sued0nim
    Options
    You know it doesn't matter...if you like absorbing your nutrients in liquid format over actually chewing your food...go wild...just be careful of the potential increase in calories and all is well
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    The world cleanse is the problem. It fools people into thinking something special is happening when it's not. People can juice if they like but they are no better off than someone who eats the fruit whole. Also it's not something everyone can sustain for long periods

Actually, it's just a little better than eating it whole because you can absorb more of the nutrients than when it's in its solid state & also, when you juice the foods you can eat more in a single sitting. So it'd be easier to eat 1 Apple 3 cups of kale 1 banana & 2 cups of water in one drink than just to eat all of those foods whole at once.. Just has to do with convenience on that part.
    No, no it's not better ...you cannot absorb more because it's in juice format from the same amount of ingredients...and why would you..

The body can only use so much protein, vitamins, minerals and the rest is excreted ...balance your diet with real food and you can meet nutritional targets easily

Juice if you prefer drinking your calories

But there are no magical qualities in liquefying food and for many that 250 calorie hit of juice would be far less satisfying than if taken as real food, chewed and digested
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/04/19/juicing-benefits.aspx

Mercola link. Anyone got bingo yet?

I don't know about juice but you've definitely been drinking the coolaid.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Fat sick & nearly dead
    Food inc
    Supersize me
    Forks over knives
    The gerson miracle
    You guys need to stop being ignorant, food fuels our body.
    You put *kitten* into it you get *kitten* in return
    You overload your micronutrients -- it'll work wonders.
    That's why you hear of so many people ridding of their diabetes by changing the way they eat.
    And it's not a coincidence that some people who live under the same household, though not related, develop diabetes.
    Your diet is crucial to how your body functions.

You cannot overload your micronutrients. Any excess you just pee out. And those "documentaries" are pretty much just advertisements as was said.
  • MissAbbee
    MissAbbee Posts: 41 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    like a broken record. "companies who want your money"? sigh. nevermind. I guess I'll just ask Beyoncé later this week.

Nooo did nobody notice that she was going to ask Beyoncé later this week..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    AND I personally know two people who cured their diabetes using herbalife & the nutribullet. They are both over 40 and never looked better. I know even more people without any diseases who have lost weight using these plans as well.

Point 1: Type 2 diabetes can be caused by obesity. Lose the weight and it can correct itself. Has nothing to do with Herbalife or Nutribullet. Those are just tools to help people lose weight.

Point 2: Unless you have scientific proof of these people being cured of diseases from doing cleanses, I'm going to have to say no. And pretty much everyone else here will as well.

Point 3: Your diet and how you eat is crucial to your health. No one is disagreeing with that! But by your logic, using a cleanse of putting random ingrediants into your body that have little to no nutrtional value and nothing else for however long means what? Anybody? Anybody? Buller? Yeah, you're putting *kitten* into you body, so you'll be getting *kitten* out of it. Literally.

1) "Tools to help people lose weight" is exactly what I meant. If you saw the original post, I was directing it at someone who said juicing has NO benefits whatsoever.
    2)The documentaries I provided have been backed up by A LOT of scientific proof. Watch them.
    3) Random ingredients with no nutritional value? Many fruits and vegetables are VERY high in micronutrients, IMO.

1. Diabetes cannot be cured. In diabetes II, the symptoms can be reversed but if they don't sustain their healthy weight/fitness for the rest of their life, it will come back. So NO, the nutribullet and herbalife did not cure their disease, it enabled them to lose weight to help their blood glucose return to normal. If you want more information on Diabetes, check out this link
    2. Those documentaries cherry pick science all the time. The bigger question is, have you validated the sources of information or did you take it at hand. Because the fitness industry (you know, the actual scientist) have done reviews on pretty much all of the documentaries and talk about how bad they are. For example, Sugar - the bitter truth
    3. We all understand the benefits of having a diet high in macro and micronutrients. But here is the funny thing, once your body gets it's daily requirements, it doesnt' get benefits from additional micros. In fact, you just pee it out. If you actually stay around for awhile, you will notice how we promote a diet with a variety of foods to maximize nutrient intake.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    AND I personally know two people who cured their diabetes using herbalife & the nutribullet. They are both over 40 and never looked better. I know even more people without any diseases who have lost weight using these plans as well.

Point 1: Type 2 diabetes can be caused by obesity. Lose the weight and it can correct itself. Has nothing to do with Herbalife or Nutribullet. Those are just tools to help people lose weight.

Point 2: Unless you have scientific proof of these people being cured of diseases from doing cleanses, I'm going to have to say no. And pretty much everyone else here will as well.

Point 3: Your diet and how you eat is crucial to your health. No one is disagreeing with that! But by your logic, using a cleanse of putting random ingrediants into your body that have little to no nutrtional value and nothing else for however long means what? Anybody? Anybody? Buller? Yeah, you're putting *kitten* into you body, so you'll be getting *kitten* out of it. Literally.

1) "Tools to help people lose weight" is exactly what I meant. If you saw the original post, I was directing it at someone who said juicing has NO benefits whatsoever.
    2)The documentaries I provided have been backed up by A LOT of scientific proof. Watch them.
    3) Random ingredients with no nutritional value? Many fruits and vegetables are VERY high in micronutrients, IMO.

1. Diabetes cannot be cured. In diabetes II, the symptoms can be reversed but if they don't sustain their healthy weight/fitness for the rest of their life, it will come back. So NO, the nutribullet and herbalife did not cure their disease, it enabled them to lose weight to help their blood glucose return to normal. If you want more information on Diabetes, check out this link
    2. Those documentaries cherry pick science all the time. The bigger question is, have you validated the sources of information or did you take it at hand. Because the fitness industry (you know, the actual scientist) have done reviews on pretty much all of the documentaries and talk about how bad they are. For example, Sugar - the bitter truth
    3. We all understand the benefits of having a diet high in macro and micronutrients. But here is the funny thing, once your body gets it's daily requirements, it doesnt' get benefits from additional micros. In fact, you just pee it out. If you actually stay around for awhile, you will notice how we promote a diet with a variety of foods to maximize nutrient intake.

Nailed it!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If we plan out what we eat we can get the nutrients we need by eating food. You don't need to juice, you don't need anything sold by a coach or any other gimmick out there
    I just said "you can eat them whole" lol, and All a nutribullet does is blend food lmao, YOU put the ingredients in, I don't see how that could be a gimmick.

Nutribullet is not the issue. It's this idea that people have about juicing and it's the way to kick start weightloss.

Some people prefer to juice their fruits & veggies because you can absorb more nutrients when it is already in a liquid state.

There's no evidence of that. That Joe whatever-his-name-is claims it does not make it so.

"there's no sound scientific evidence that extracted juices are healthier than the juice you get by eating the fruit or vegetable itself." http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/juicing/faq-20058020
    People here were saying "does nothing" which is absolutely not true. Veggies and fruits provide a lot of nutrients and minerals! And that's basically what a juice cleanse is lol

I don't believe the discussion was about "juice cleanses." The Master Cleanse that Beyonce did was specifically referenced by OP, and that's not a juice cleanse.

Moreover, there's nothing about juicing vegetables (or fruits) that makes them more nutritious or more beneficial. Quite the opposite. The WHO recommends limiting fruit juices and treating them as added sugar. Juicing all your fruits and vegetables eliminates healthful fiber. The main reason some are so ridiculously into juicing is because they don't actually eat vegetables in a normal manner, as IMO people should.

The "cleanse" thing -- that your body needs a break from digestion and will benefit from intaking nothing but juice -- is ridiculous. It won't hurt you to fast for a day or two, with or without juice, but there's no special benefit either and going longer than that, especially the lengthy times that are often recommended for juice fasts, with no protein, fiber, fat, is a bad idea. It's also not going to lead to any sustainable weight loss, as the loss is a result of super low calories and will come back on when you start eating normally again.

But for the purpose of this thread, the key point is that it's not "cleansing" you.

Someone must have done a psychological study on why people buy into the "cleansing" thing. THAT could make for an interesting documentary, maybe.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Fat sick & nearly dead
    Food inc
    Supersize me
    Forks over knives
    The gerson miracle
    You guys need to stop being ignorant, food fuels our body.
    You put *kitten* into it you get *kitten* in return
    You overload your micronutrients -- it'll work wonders.
    That's why you hear of so many people ridding of their diabetes by changing the way they eat.
    And it's not a coincidence that some people who live under the same household, though not related, develop diabetes.
    Your diet is crucial to how your body functions.

Thank you for the list of movies targeting the gullible to push an agenda ... not documentaries based upon fact or science.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Impossible. You do not cure diabetes. You can manage it and keep you blood sugar normal through weight loss and/or moderating carbs, but the underlying problem of you body not being able to regulate the blood glucose optimally is still there. Once a diabetic, always a diabetic. The only difference is how it gets managed.

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Impossible. You do not cure diabetes. You can manage it and keep you blood sugar normal through weight loss and/or moderating carbs, but the underlying problem of you body not being able to regulate the blood glucose optimally is still there. Once a diabetic, always a diabetic. The only difference is how it gets managed.

but but but....the guy in the documentary did...It MUST be true because documentary!!!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Convenience isn't the point, your original post was about cleanses. Now you are backpedaling and trying to make it sound as if all you were talking about was drinking juice. And it's not 'easier' to eat those things in one glass of juice, you lose a large portion of each, as the solid bulk of the fruit is discarded when the juice is brought out.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Is "The Cleanse" a sequel to "The Purge"?

That movie was messed up.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Is "The Cleanse" a sequel to "The Purge"?

That movie was messed up.

No, The Purge: Anarchy is the sequel to The Purge.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Man I missed this thread yesterday. Glad at least past if it is still around so I can catch up. Let me see if I've got this:

We have an OP who asks about benefits of a cleanse.
    People say there is no benefit, and they are expensive.
    OP gets defensive talks about the success her dog had on a thread and repeatedly proclaims that she's not wasting money because the ingredients are all readily available in her pantry.
    OP mentions Beyoncé and cuts and pastes some internet babble including a gem about formula being poisonous to babies.
    OP thinks there is a generational gap contributing to the misunderstanding.
    OP says she is a Paleontologist
    Troll is identified
    Hilarity ensues

But wait, there's more! Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a Netflix loving, White Knight shows up, proclaiming all the benefits of juicing to cure disease.

Did I miss anything?

This thread really does deliver...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Man I missed this thread yesterday. Glad at least past if it is still around so I can catch up. Let me see if I've got this:

OP gets defensive talks about the success her dog had on a thread and repeatedly proclaims that she's not wasting money because the ingredients are all readily available in her pantry.
    OP mentions Beyoncé and cuts and pastes some internet babble including a gem about formula being poisonous to babies.
    Troll is identified
    Hilarity ensues

But wait, there's more! Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a Netflix loving, White Knight shows up, proclaiming all the benefits of juicing to cure disease.

Did I miss anything?

Also, it may be that the old posters here just have a different definition of cleanse than the younger, hipper OP.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

This !!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Troll is identified
    Hilarity ensues

Did I miss anything?

Also, it may be that the old posters here just have a different definition of cleanse than the younger, hipper OP.

Oh yeah thanks! Went back and added it to mine. Also that she's a paleontologist.