I am aiming for 4lb a week loss! Is this realistic

Options
15678911»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    @workout_freak89 so what you're saying is you advocate outright lying to someone, or worse yet telling them in all seriousness that their desire to undereat to achieve weight loss is okay? I'm all for Darwinism, but when the person is outright asking if it's realistic that's not the time in which you feed them a crap cake of answers.

Yup. This.

not undereat btw. Over eat ( above maintainence). Then create a deficit with exercise.There's a difference

There's really not.

Your maintenance is what you need to maintain based on the amount of exercise you do.

If I run 6 miles a day, 6 days/week, my maintenance (on average) is going to be about 500 calories/day higher than if I am sedentary. So I'd eat different amounts to lose 1 lb/week depending on which of these was true. In neither case would I be eating more than maintenance or "overeating."

Of course, this has NOTHING to do with OP's question (which was adequately answered within the first page or so) or "starvation mode."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Anorexics actually eat nothing. Maybe they don't eat at all, maybe they throw up what they eat, maybe they eat and then spit out what they are chewing. Those anorexics actually begin to have the same metabolism as a child starving. That's how they end up looking the way they do. But for the rest of us who eat very low calories our bodies adjust to burning calories so that we don't lose that precious fat (that when we first became people) that gets us through the winter. And because we usually to revert to our regular way of eating now we are dealing with a higher set point for losing weight.

thank you for explaining it so clearly...hopefully the receptive few among them would actually care to read and understand instead of impulsively trying to win the argument with pointless replies

Like how starvation mode is a myth? Yup. That's pointless.

kwashiorkar and marasmus and countless other condiions of protein energy malnutrition are perfect exaples of starvation mode...wonder when will people learn

No, they are examples of malnutrition.

Starvation mode is the claim that if you eat too little your body will hang onto fat and you won't lose weight or may even gain.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thread has been locked.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.
This discussion has been closed.