August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• murciaa
    murciaa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

I just started running again in July. It's so freeing! This mommy's time of sanity comes at 6 am on 3K runs :-)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka - My girls only buy the mismatched socks. They haven't worn matching socks in years.

8/1 - 3 miles Potter Run - Way fun with lots of people in costume.
    8/2 - Rest day
    8/3 - Pouring rain and I am not that motivated.
    8/4 - Rest day
    8/5 - 2.25
    8/6 - 2

exercise.png

LOL- I try to by the same TYPE of socks- so I can mismatch if I need without having uneven thickness and stuff LOL

I'm definitely not upset by my "problem" LOL- I'm glad to see there are other folks who are rocking the mismatched socks!!

speaking of- new socks AND body glide.

My new shoes have arch- and any shoe with "arch support" gives me blisters- so I want to try some body glide on my foot to see if I can prevent that.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Had an awesome speedwork session today, doing yasso 800s (8x800m in 3:11 w. 400m jogs in between each). Sill the buzz from completing it was killed after being bit by a dog en route home that was playing in a front yard 2 doors down from where the owner was standing.

Verified shots were current with the owner and the cut didn't look too deep (was just a surface abrasion). Not sure if I want to report it, but documented the cut (won't post here) in case it gets infected and cleaned it up with antibiotic ointment. Mostly just hoping I can avoid an infection with a triathlon (w. open water swimming in a not so clean river) 2 days away.

8/1 - 3 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/4 - 12 miles
    8/5 - 5.5 miles
    8/6 - 8 miles (w. 8x800s @ 6:22 pace)

Total: 34.5 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 105.5 miles
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I had a sock problem this morning-my fiance is here and I forgot to prep so I couldn't really rummage the way I normally would- so. yeah mismatched it is.

Which means apparently I need to go invest in more because I can't find my socks at the rate I'm burning through them hashtagrunnerproblems. things like this happen:

20150806_054954_zpsyv1jqwz7.jpg

15.83 of 75 miles for me. Happy Jo is happy!

Just tell everyone that you're a trend setter...lol.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    1/8/15 - 3 miles
    3/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    4/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    6/8/15 - 1.5 miles

exercise.png
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    DATE ... MILES
    8/1 ... 16.5
    8/2 ... 10
    8/4 ... 5
    8/5 ... 8
    8/6 ... 5.25

44.75/200 goal

I got a lunch time run in. It was great reminder to not let myself oversleep in the morning. Running around my office is terrible - narrow, windy farm roads with a ton of traffic. And lots of stinky road kill. Ugh.

@ohhim - scary about the dog. I am glad you are ok.

@murciaa - Great job - keep it up. Running is my sanity/"me time" away from the family as well.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My July goal was 30 miles and I hit that. I think I will shoot for 35 for August.

8/2 - 3.5mi. PR for distance Woohoo! According to my GPS I went 3.5 but according to the trail map I did 3.7 miles. I am going with my GPS since I always use the same one when I run so any errors should be consistent. Walking up to get ice cream with son and dog later so that will be another 3 miles but I will not include it in my monthly total.
    8/4 -3.6mi. Another PR! I went for a run on my break at work because I was falling asleep at my desk, don't tell the boss, and I ended up completing the run in 50 minutes which is what it took me to run 5k last month in the heat and humidity. I learned that my ideal pace right now is about a 13 minute pace so I was able to cut out most of the walk breaks except for walking up the big hill at the end of trail. (Why is there always a big hill at the end of a run?)
    8/6 -3.5mi. Got up at 6:30am on my day off for a beautiful cool morning run with Neeko. Kept my average pace at 13:14 which seems to be ideal for me but I will admit my legs were tired when I was done. That hasn't happened in a while but it was a great feeling.

Completed : 10.6
    To go : 24.4

• erigann
    erigann Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    First few days - 10 miles
    8/5/15 4 miles
    8/6/15 3 miles
    17 miles done!
    goal 100 miles
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    MFP August 2015 running challenge:
    Ran two 6mph half mile jogs in preworkout warms ups on treadmill
    ran 3 miles on the track after a good lifting work out.
    Goal 45 miles
    Completed 14
    >>>>>>>>>. 31 to GO.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    2/8: 8.1 Miles
    4/8: 3.8 Miles
    6/8: 3.8 Miles

exercise.png

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    4.4 today. A little faster.

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Aug 1 - 43 mile bike ride
    Aug 2 - 37 mile bike ride
    Aug 3 - 4.1 miles
    Aug 4 - 4.15 miles in morning; strength training and cycling class. Yeah, I’m crazy.
    Aug 5 - 6.15 miles - too hot to do my long run for the week.
    Aug 6 - strength training and cycling class --big hills - it was hard - sure hope my outdoor cycling improves a lot with all this hard work!
    Aug 7 - rest day -- first one since July 15th! Got to plan these out so I can recover!

exercise.png

@ohhim - oh gosh, that's terrible! I hope the owner was apologetic and leashes up their dog from now on. Good luck with Triathalon!
    @7lenny7 - check out if any of your local running stores have a "Good Form Running Clinic" -- it's just an hour or two. My daughter and I both did it at our running store here in Orlando and it was awesome. Now whenever I pass runners I look at their form and notice what's wrong. (I don't say anything of course!) Even though I know the exact form I should be doing it is very easy to get tired and not do it right. Also, before I did that class I got into Chi Running - which is very similar. When I did the GFR clinic they said I was doing everything right except swinging my arms a little too much. But, that happened only because I had worked hard following the Chi Running instructions. That being said, I do keep getting off/on pain in the achilles so I probably need to review the Chi running to see if am doing something off. I am working on some of those exercises that were in the link you posted about ways to strengthen the achilles.

@sushan88 - I started with walking, for about a year. Had no intention of running but now I love it.

Sorry can't reply to everyone! But the miles are piling up! Keep up the great job.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    8/1 7km
    8/4 5km
    8/6 5km
    exercise.png
    juliet3455 - You're amazing to me! I hope your boss knows about your dedication.
    My Boss works in an Office that is at the end of a 5 Hour Drive. Last time I seen his face was March 2014. :)
    juliet3455 sorry about your truck, but a great job during lemons into lemonade with the run
    Adapt to the situation and move on.
    shanaber wrote: »
    juliet3455 - I think it is awesome that you ran to work and back home at the end of the day! I am also pretty impressed that you replaced the alternator! Wish I could get my daughter to do things like that! I am pretty sure you have earned those new running shoes!
    18 minutes/2.5 km one way = 1/2 my normal minimum. Have a Mini Gym with a Full Change room/showers at work. Doing mechanical work - As a guy I grew up on a farm so lots of experience - as my Dad said " if mankind built it we should be able to repair it". Rebuilt a motorcycle when I was 14 ( highly motivated - wanted wheels ). Any excuse for new gear. @shanaber I am impressed with anyone who does mechanical repairs but even more impressed with the distances being knocked off by everyone.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Epic Distance/Terrain for a race that makes our Monthly accomplishments look like warm-ups. Canadian Death Race
    The First place finisher was a lady 125 km's (77.67 Miles) in 13:51:21. 86 Minutes ahead of the 2nd place finisher.
    Only 121 of 326 Solo Runners actually finished it in the 24 Hour Time limit.
    Canadian Death Race Results 2015.pdf
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    8/1: 5 miles
    8/2: 11.5 miles
    8/3: 4 miles
    8/4: XT day: 42 min bike (12 miles) and 35 min walk (2 miles), AKA: 2 episodes of Gilmore Girls
    8/5: 8 miles
    8/6: 6.5 miles: Quick ones with the Thurdsay crew! My legs felt super fresh tonight; did the first 3 mile loop at an 8:10 pace and the second 3 at an 8:40 pace. Fairly consistent splits both times considering both ended on long hills. Super pumped to get back to ~50 mpw next week.

35/200

exercise.png
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Epic Distance/Terrain for a race that makes our Monthly accomplishments look like warm-ups. Canadian Death Race
    The First place finisher was a lady 125 km's (77.67 Miles) in 13:51:21. 86 Minutes ahead of the 2nd place finisher.
    Only 121 of 326 Solo Runners actually finished it in the 24 Hour Time limit.
    Canadian Death Race Results 2015.pdf
    Whoa!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - Wow! Hope you are healed up and do great on that triathlon!

@juliet3455 - I just can't imagine what it takes for ultra runners to go distances like that in those times. It's epic.

I set out to run a slow and easy 8 miler this evening. I'm choosing to stay positive in describing the run. So...

I finished!:smile:

8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 12 miles (22 miles total)
    8/4 - 8 miles (30 total)
    8/5 - 12 miles (42 miles total)
    8/6 - 8 miles (50 miles total)

Goal 220 miles

exercise.png

• CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    3.5 miles tonight on the hotel treadmill, after eating way too much at dinner. At least I didn't throw up :)
    Total of 13.5 miles out of 40 for the month.
    Usually when I do my work travel I stick to my panera salads or a small steak and veggies. This trip I've been a bit indulgent. At least the running helps to keep me at maintenance. But it's the low country and the food is pretty darn good (last night shrimp and grits, tonight duck and sweet potato waffles, oh my..).
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options

exercise.png

5 miles this morning

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August goal 60 miles

8/1 I really...
    8/2 Need to find a better source
    8/3 For my Chinese take out supply....
    8/4 Managed a 1.17 "ralk" with all 3 puppies
    8/5 3.1 on the dreadmill until the aforementioned Chinese food from hell re "reared" (pun intended)
    its ugly head.
    8/6 2.52

Total 6.77

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png