August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Happy Birthday! :cookie: (MFP does not have a cake emoticon, so a cookie will have to do)

@whatmerunning I like cookies!!! thanks!

• jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Goal: 40 miles

8/4 - 3.66 miles. Darn ITB bothered me around 3. I thought I was over this.
    8/6 - 4.33 miles. No ITB pain, but slowed WAY down. Cautiously optimistic :)
    8/10 - 4.53 miles. No pain again! Still very slow, but slow running is still running :)

exercise.png[\img]
  • spangolin
    spangolin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    3 more miles
    exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Got in a long 9.5 mile run today as I'm returning to Florida tonight, and won't be back in cooler weather like this for another week. Got to catch up with a friend which helped the time pass a bit faster on the run. I took it slow as I'm still recovering from the triathlon. Did a quick check of my race splits from Saturday's sprint triathlon, and I really need to learn to run 5ks better as my mile 2 time was 45 seconds slower than miles 1 & 3.

8/1 - 3 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/4 - 12 miles
    8/5 - 5.5 miles
    8/6 - 8 miles (w. 8x800s @ 6:22 pace)
    8/8 - 3 miles (sprint triathlon 5k @ 7:03 pace)
    8/10 - 9.5 miles

Total: 47 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 93 miles
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Stalled due to illness, but back in......
    exercise.png[img][/img]
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options

exercise.png

:/ I just realized that my dates started with 3 instead of 8. What was I thinking?

8/1--3.36 miles
    8/2--rest day
    8/3--3.7 miles
    8/4--Strong Curves A
    8/5--4.13 miles
    8/6--Strong Curves B
    8/7--unexpected rest day
    8/8--7.18 miles
    8/9--scheduled rest day
    8/10-4.05 miles
  • Mopar88
    Mopar88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone who ran races! Happy Birthday, @skippygirlsmom!
  • siobhanbyrne600
    siobhanbyrne600 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So far I havpe done 20 miles
    8/4/15- 3 miles
    8/5/15- 4miles
    8/6/15- 3miles
    8/7/15 - 3miles
    8/8/15 - 4miles
    8/10/15 - 3miles
  • Erin9607
    Erin9607 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    5km done yesterday
    27/80 complete :)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    1/8/15 - 3 miles
    3/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    4/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    6/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    7/8/15 - 2 miles
    8/8/15 - 3 miles
    10/8/15 1.75 miles

exercise.png
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @skippygirlsmom! Hope it is a great one.
  • KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 13.1
    8/8 - 6.02
    8/9 - 3.38

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Nettiejb Sounds like a great 10 mile run, well done :)

@WhatMeRunning 20 miles at that heat, an that early in the morning? That sounds really tough to me, you have my full respect!

@shell1005 all the best for those hamstrings, I hope the rest will cure the tightness quickly.

@aarar Sorry to hear about the scraped knees - and especially about the wasps stings! That's no fun at all - I can still remember the one time where I was playing in the forest as a kid, and one of my friends stepped into a wasp nest. They chased us for quite a long distance, and each of us got multiple stings that hurt much more that those of "city wasps", in my memory. I hope yours aren't as horribly painful as the ones I remember!

@skippygirlsmom Happy birthday! I wish you a worderful new year with lots of awesome runs and free of injuries :)

--

My sunday long run was supposed to be 14 km, but it was just way too hot for me!
    I cut it short to 12.2 km, and still had to take some walking breaks.
    Actually, during these walking breaks I had a fun meeting with another runner yesterday on a bit of road with alternating stretches of sunshine and shade: I would walk in the shadow and she would run past me, then she walked in the sun and I ran past her. That actually happened twice, until we were stopped at the same traffic light and she made a comment about that. Apparently, her reasoning was that "in the sun, it's to hot to run; in the shadows I am fine", while my line of thought was "if I walk in the shadow, I have more time to cool down, and then run in the sun to get to the next shadow bit as fast as possible".
    Would would you guys do? Or is everyone's answer going to be "I'm a runner, I don't let a little sun force me to walk"? B)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Actually, during these walking breaks I had a fun meeting with another runner yesterday on a bit of road with alternating stretches of sunshine and shade: I would walk in the shadow and she would run past me, then she walked in the sun and I ran past her. That actually happened twice, until we were stopped at the same traffic light and she made a comment about that. Apparently, her reasoning was that "in the sun, it's to hot to run; in the shadows I am fine", while my line of thought was "if I walk in the shadow, I have more time to cool down, and then run in the sun to get to the next shadow bit as fast as possible".
    Would would you guys do? Or is everyone's answer going to be "I'm a runner, I don't let a little sun force me to walk"? B)
    I have actually planned some of my more recent morning routes to have more shade later in the run as the sun gets higher. So clearly my vote is more time in the shade!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @Nettiejb Sounds like a great 10 mile run, well done :)

@WhatMeRunning 20 miles at that heat, an that early in the morning? That sounds really tough to me, you have my full respect!

@shell1005 all the best for those hamstrings, I hope the rest will cure the tightness quickly.

@aarar Sorry to hear about the scraped knees - and especially about the wasps stings! That's no fun at all - I can still remember the one time where I was playing in the forest as a kid, and one of my friends stepped into a wasp nest. They chased us for quite a long distance, and each of us got multiple stings that hurt much more that those of "city wasps", in my memory. I hope yours aren't as horribly painful as the ones I remember!

@skippygirlsmom Happy birthday! I wish you a worderful new year with lots of awesome runs and free of injuries :)

--

My sunday long run was supposed to be 14 km, but it was just way too hot for me!
    I cut it short to 12.2 km, and still had to take some walking breaks.

HA- I try to not run when it's sunny out- I'm staunchly anti sun- but my policy is the less i stop (never) or walk (rare) the sooner I'm done.
    I want to be done.

I like running- so I can be done running- that's my favorite part of running (I'm only slightly sarcastic on that- I really do enjoy that feeling of exhaustion and sweat and just being done).

So- neither? - but if I was walk running- I'd run in the sun. No way I'd be walking in the sun- the less time in the sun the better!!!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Happiest of birthdays!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Ran 2 miles yesterday and 2 miles today, so I'm back on the case :) I'm hoping to do another 2 miles on Wednesday, 2 miles on Friday and then a 3 miler on Sunday. It's driving me mad to take it this easy but I'm determined to get back to my former self without injury!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I ran the first 8 miles on my own at a 9:13 pace and then met up with 6 people from my running group who did the next 10 with me. I was really grateful for their company because I definitely started crashing around mile 15/16. Managed to stick to a 9:33 pace for the second 10 and I would have paced probably closer to 10 without their motivation. Besides being tired from running 18 miles, my legs/knees/Achilles all feel pretty great, so I'm optimistic about my long weekly miles going forward! This is my longest run for a few weeks til I do 18 again in September, and it was definitely a good one! Perfect weather, good company, and so much G2 Gatorade in the fridge was waiting for me when I got home!

@kristinegift Running company is a double edge sword. They are awesome to keep you accountable and help you push it when you need it. They can also force you to push it too hard when sometimes you need to keep the pace down. But glad it worked out for you.

With all the calories you burned running 18 miles, why G2? You need the regular stuff to replace all that glycogen you lost. Glad your achilles is feeling pretty good.

I know what you mean about the double edged sword! Luckily, the Sunday group is usually solid for 9-10 min paces, and I brace myself for quicker running on Thursday group nights and consider that my one speedy run of the week. Those folks love to push the pace!

I drink G2 after a run because it's lower in sugar and doesn't give me a stomach ache, but it still has plenty of good stuff. I also eat pretty quickly after a run and make up lots of calories/nutrients/etc. that way. I was having stomach issues after runs, and switching back to blue G2 instead of raspberry lemonade flavor seemed to do the trick, so some G2 and a protein bar and/or some eggs, and I'm good to go til it's an appropriate time to begin eating pizza all day :)

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    After nearly a month and a half of illness/traveling I was able to get 3.28k today. There's no way I'll hit my goal of 80-100k. Can I downsize to 50K? So 3.28 out of 50k for august. Hopefully I'll be able to start picking uip my milage again.