August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Thanks all y'all for the positive thoughts about my hammy....I think they worked. I got up and got 4 miles in this morning. We have a crap ton of rain on the way, so I was glad to get the run good and done. I also only felt a twinge of soreness in my hammy and nothing else, so I am hopeful that this isn't going to be something to sideline me. Still crossing fingers though!!!
    Great job and congrats on the hammy warming up and feeling better!! Slow and steady slow and steady!!
    Got up bright and early and ran in the rain. About 2.7 miles. I only saw four people. Running in the rainstorm felt amazing. I stayed in the grass.
    I got a little rain run in this morning- I'm surprised at the lack of runners I see in the morning at this point also- ah well- I love running in the rain- it really makes me happy.
    dinsfamily wrote: »
    Officially started my running season this morning! I was slow and it was hard, but felt great to be out there.

YAY! happy nice slow start!

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    8/1 7km
    8/4 5km
    8/6 5km
    8/10 6km
    8/11 6km

exercise.png

@WhatMeRunning 20 miles for a long training run, Impressive I struggle past 10km ( 6.5 miles )
    @shanaber Walking at Ikea :) That's a workout surviving the crowds and the maze that loops back on itself.
    @CancerSurvivor2014 Precious moments!!
    @shell1005 and @demoiselle2014 Glad to hear that you are seeing a recovery. Don't push to fast/hard - protect your gains.
  • sushan88
    sushan88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Another 12 K today, feet hurting a bit...got past the 100k mark for the month!

blk-s-exercise.png

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 5.82 mi
    8/2 - 4.05 mi
    8/3 - 4.35 mi of on-track speed work...tough!
    8/4 - Rest day; might sneak in a walk this evening though.
    8/5 - 2.0 mi on indoor track; 45 minutes of aerobics / cross-training with HM group.
    8/6 - 3.1 mi, beautiful morning in Central Iowa!
    8/7 - 4.25 mi, love that 70° and humid now seems pleasant!
    8/8 - 5.7 mi with my HM training group
    8/9 - rest day
    8/10 - 3.5 mi along the Galena River.
    8/11 - 4.48 mi, cool morning

exercise.png

All, I am going to try to catch up with what I missed of your awesomeness over the weekend! Miss a few days around here and it piles up!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I ran the first 8 miles on my own at a 9:13 pace and then met up with 6 people from my running group who did the next 10 with me. I was really grateful for their company because I definitely started crashing around mile 15/16. Managed to stick to a 9:33 pace for the second 10 and I would have paced probably closer to 10 without their motivation. Besides being tired from running 18 miles, my legs/knees/Achilles all feel pretty great, so I'm optimistic about my long weekly miles going forward! This is my longest run for a few weeks til I do 18 again in September, and it was definitely a good one! Perfect weather, good company, and so much G2 Gatorade in the fridge was waiting for me when I got home!

@kristinegift Running company is a double edge sword. They are awesome to keep you accountable and help you push it when you need it. They can also force you to push it too hard when sometimes you need to keep the pace down. But glad it worked out for you.

With all the calories you burned running 18 miles, why G2? You need the regular stuff to replace all that glycogen you lost. Glad your achilles is feeling pretty good.

I know what you mean about the double edged sword! Luckily, the Sunday group is usually solid for 9-10 min paces, and I brace myself for quicker running on Thursday group nights and consider that my one speedy run of the week. Those folks love to push the pace!

I drink G2 after a run because it's lower in sugar and doesn't give me a stomach ache, but it still has plenty of good stuff. I also eat pretty quickly after a run and make up lots of calories/nutrients/etc. that way. I was having stomach issues after runs, and switching back to blue G2 instead of raspberry lemonade flavor seemed to do the trick, so some G2 and a protein bar and/or some eggs, and I'm good to go til it's an appropriate time to begin eating pizza all day :)

Gotcha! makes sense. Living in NJ you must eat all the pizza. :smiley:
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I did another 6 miles over the weekend, putting me at 13 miles for the month and 7 miles left to reach my goal!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for August

8/1 17 miles - 17
    8/2 REST DAY
    8/3 10.5 miles - 27.5
    8/4 9.25 miles - 36.75
    8/5 5.65 miles - 42.4
    8/6 REST DAY Unplanned (domestic emergency and bad weather)
    8/7 6.4 miles - 48.8
    8/8 18 miles - 66.8
    8/9 REST DAY
    8/10 10.15 - 76.95
    8/11 9.25 - 86.2

exercise.png

• karllundy
    Options
    Nettiejb wrote: »
    Today I did my first 10 mile in months!! Really pleased with my pace and the strength in my legs. In five weeks today these little beasties will be carrying me over the finish line of my first half marathon :-)

Total so far this month 40.28/90 :smiley:

Nice! If you can do 10 now, you are in good shape...just keep it up!

@Ohhim - Fantastic job on the tri! Glad the bite didn't give you too much trouble.
    @WhatMeRunning - Awesome!!
    @skippygirlsmom - Love that you and Skip have so much fun training and racing together! Congrats on the trail race success!
    @kristinegift - Galena was fun! You're killin' me with the fact that your parents just went there for a similar anniversary! Way to make me feel old! :wink:

• esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Aug. 4 - 2.5 miles
    Aug. 5 - 1.5 miles
    Aug. 7 - 5.04 miles
    Aug. 10 - 4.5 miles

13.5 completed
    36.5 left to go to reach 50 miles
  • karllundy
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Belated Happy Birthday!!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Got a question for our experienced runners: Summer in middle Georgia is muggy. The last few long runs I've done have left me with soaked socks and shoes (enough to wring out a sizable amount of fluid from each sock, and enough to lose about 2-3 pounds). I'm doing a diligent job of re-hydrating, but my question is this: is that amount of wetness enough to damage my shoes, and should I air them out/dry them out by leaving them out in the sunshine?
  • karllundy
    Options
    @9voice9 - I wouldn't leave them out in the sun. It is likely to damage them more than the wetness. If they aren't drying between runs, I would consider alternating pairs. One thing I have done is loosely stuffed my shoes with newspaper to dry out faster.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 3.2 miles
    8/3 - 5.5 miles 1st day of school here, can't believe my baby is a Sophomore!
    8/4 - 3.2 miles
    8/5 - rest day
    8/6 - 1.8 miles ending up not getting back out last night - had to bring work home with me and worked until 9:30
    8/7 - 4.4 miles in the fog :tongue: 5K Run to the Rescue with Skip and some of her teammates tomorrow.
    8/8 - 3.1 Run to the Rescue 5K today. Skip and I ran, it was trail for almost 2 miles (I've never run off the road) then onto the road, then onto parking lot gravel (ugh) then back to and finish on grass. We don't have official times, I was I did a 9:43 pace just over 30 min so not near a PR, Skip said she was about 23:49 not near her PR either. I thought it was a tough course, a few hills. The trail was hard for me very rooty and uneven, but it was a lot of fun. I finished 3rd in my AG and she finished 1st in her AG.
    8/9 - 9.3 miles
    8/10 - 3.5 miles of recovery - it's my birthday it's my birthday!! :sunglasses:
    8/11- 6.1 miles

50.3 miles of 120

9kayy88su531.jpg

• dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Got a question for our experienced runners: Summer in middle Georgia is muggy. The last few long runs I've done have left me with soaked socks and shoes (enough to wring out a sizable amount of fluid from each sock, and enough to lose about 2-3 pounds). I'm doing a diligent job of re-hydrating, but my question is this: is that amount of wetness enough to damage my shoes, and should I air them out/dry them out by leaving them out in the sunshine?

I'm no expert, but I do run in San Antonio :smile: I like to have 2 pairs of shoes so I can alternate them giving them more time to dry out. I'm interested in more experienced runners comments too.
  • dstock80
    dstock80 Posts: 81 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Aug 10: 4 miles
    Aug 11: 2.16 miles

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options

I have like 5 pairs that I rotate. I just leave them in the corner of my bedroom and 2 days later they are fine.

I sweat pretty good myself. This one was from my July 21st run.

mdBENrC.jpg

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

I have a boot dryer I use, but I don't use the heat setting, just the air. If they're particularly wet, then I pull the insoles out too.

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Got a later start than I wanted with the half training program (switched to Runmeter) --

August 6 -- 2.19
    August 8 -- 2.57
    August 9 -- 4.02

8.78 miles completed, 41.22 left to make my goal of at least 50 this month
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @9voice9 I agree with karllundy and stoshew71 on the shoes - let them air dry and not in the sun. I rotate 2 pair for the same reason. Newspaper in them is a wonderful thing to dry them out.
    @shanaber Houston in August, no thank you. My cousin lives there and bikes like a million miles a week and runs 3 days a week, he is the crazy relative in the family. Hope the side feels better soon.
    @Elise4270 105 is a wee bit warm for sure :wink:
    @jimcrackindandy - hope the knees feel better soon, it's so nice to run down a hill, but I always need to remind myself to keep my pace and don't run down it like a 5 year old out of control
    @jorocka glad the calf was feeling better this morning
    @cancersurvivor2014 I love the way you spent evening with your kids, what great memories. Love the pictures.
    @shell1005 glad the hammie feeling better
    @dinsfamily - welcome!
    @dennie24 love your run with the kids! When I was running this morning there was a guy coming the other way with his son, probably about 8 years old. They do 2 miles and then the kid goes home and the dad finishes his run. They started with him at a half mile and are working their way up.
  • deanna0127
    deanna0127 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

exercise.png