Health is more than body size. Don't use the scale to measure health.

Options
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Health+more+than+body+size+Dont+scale+measure+health+experts/11257544/story.html

Pasted from the article in case you don't want to click:

Erica Schenk has been a runner for 10 years, but a single snapshot of the curvy athlete may represent her most significant strides yet.

The plus-size model is captured mid-sprint as she covers the August issue of Women's Running. The latest edition is focused on body positivity and highlighting that runners' bodies don't all fit one specific mould.

Both the model and the magazine have made international headlines and earned widespread praise, with editor-in-chief Jessica Sebor calling the reaction "completely unanticipated."

Coupled with the kudos, she said they've also received emotional responses from women with larger bodies who said they hadn't felt accepted as runners, but can now "see themselves" on the cover because Schenk was showcased.

"We're such an image-driven culture," Sebor said from San Diego, Calif. "We assume we know everything about someone by looking at their picture and that's just not true.

"Health is about what you do — not about what you look like."

What's more, the "obsession" about body weight and composition has little to do with actual health, said Dr. Arya Sharma, chair in obesity research and management at the University of Alberta.

"We live in a society where people who happen to carry a few extra pounds are looked down upon and face a lot of bias and discrimination — especially as you come to higher BMIs — and that makes their lives miserable. It's not that they actually have health problems."

While many are quick to use weight as a key measure of fitness, Sharma said there are many misconceptions about what the numbers actually indicate.

"Stepping on a scale is not a measure of health. It can be a measure of risk for health problems," said Sharma.

"We do know some health problems become more common in people as they gain weight. But we've also learned that perfect health is also possible across a wide range of BMIs or body weights."

Determining whether excess weight will be a factor also can be related to genetic predisposition, such as diabetes or other weight-related health problems, he noted.

Sharma also notes on his website that abdominal fat is different than the fat accumulating on the hips or buttocks. Abdominal fat can be a major risk factor for diabetes, high blood pressure and abnormal cholesterol levels, and can lead to heart disease and stroke.

"We also know that health behaviours are much more important than the weight on the scale," said Sharma, founder and scientific director of the Canadian Obesity Network.

"What will determine your health ultimately is going to be your fitness level, the amount of sleep that you get, how you feel about yourself, the quality of your diet.

"You could be doing all of those things right with no impact on your body weight and still be a lot healthier than you are now."

Michelle Pitman is vice-president international for the Association of Size Diversity and Health. The professional organization is committed to the Health At Every Size principles, which support acceptance of people regardless of size or shape.

"Health is more than just body size," said Pitman, wellness coach with Define Me Wellness.

Pitman said if she's seeing a new client who wants to lose weight to be healthier, she seeks to help them reframe what health means to them.

"Think about weight in terms of an outcome as opposed to a behaviour. Things like: 'I want to have improved energy,' 'I want to have a better sex life,' 'I want to complete this 10K race for a sense of personal accomplishment' — and taking weight out of the equation."

Thoughts?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to say this is absolute bull#$%^ without coming off terribly terribly mean. Not worth the flags.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Not sure how to say this is absolute bull#$%^ without coming off terribly terribly mean. Not worth the flags.
    It's Friday. I thought mean was allowed on Friday.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Being overweight and healthy is not uncommon, but neither is being overweight and unhealthy. There are so many other variables to consider along genetics, lifestyle, etc.
    I'll be the first to say that WEIGHT does matter though. Force on joints (especially as a runner) matter. And unless one is very diligent with diet and exercise consistently, weight gain as one ages is pretty common due to lower metabolic rates and activity levels.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Do I have to read it? Shoot me but its a bit long. Id go with being a good weight is better than being obese or overweight (muscle and lower bodyfat aside), but you can be fitter and healthier even if carrying a few extra lbs, just as you cna be unhealthy if you are at a healthy weight.

The definition of health doesnt just cover weight, it includes mental and physiological as well.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Is this going to turn into another "fat people can't be healthy" thread? I need to know whether to bother getting popcorn to read this later.
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think that the gist of this article is good, in the sense that there isn't a prescriptive "one weight/size fits all". There are so many factors that actually affect one's weight that trying to use an outdated metric like BMI doesn't always make sense. BMI doesn't factor in bone density, muscle or people with large frames. Two women could be the same age and height, but one may have a slight frame with smaller bones and the other may have a larger frame (i.e. big hands and feet, broad shoulders, etc.). To say that both of those women should weigh the same is ludicrous. But that's what the BMI says, which can be very disheartening for some trying to get healthy. If your body fat is in a healthy range, and your diet is healthy, where that weight chooses to settle is irrelevant. A person of healthy BF who eats healthily won't have a lot of belly fat, that's just basic physiology. But I do think it's important for people to have realistic goals about their bodies and be happy and thankful for them. No good comes from trying to achieve a body type that's completely different from yours. Instead, work to get your best body.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    How does a photo of an obese girl running proves that she is healthy, or even better, that any random obese person can be healthy?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Dunno O prefe a good mean people thread havent had one of those for ages.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    BINGO!

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Seems a bit flaky.

Can't buy into it

And people are allowed to be attracted to who they want to be. It is ok to not be attracted to seriously overweight people

We may not like it...

But this seems to be reaching across some lines of personal preference.
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Excellent, I trust that future editions will feature other people demonstrating other statistically Heath damaging lifestyle choices while participating in their sport of choice. I look forward to the photographs of a cyclist rehydrating with a few pints and a weightlifter bench pressing with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth
  • farren_talon
    farren_talon Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Generally, I agree that weight isn't necessarily what's needed to determine how healthy/fit you are. I'm overweight (but slimming down), and I know I can out walk/run some of my skinnier friends. They don't eat well or exercise like I do now. I have more energy then them.

My MMA/kickboxing instructor tells his students to concentrate on how you feel, and the progress you make, like with sizes of clothes over weight, cause of building muscle amount other things.

That being said, it's nice to see someone who's that overweight exercising, but I would think that if she continues running, and actually eats healthy, she won't stay that way for long. While it said she's been a runner for 10yrs, I'm wondering about her other habits if she's still that large.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there: I have a friend who smokes, but is muscular, fit, can do loads of hard cardio and doesn't have any health issues. Is in much better condition and health than many lean people who exercise that I know.
    Do you think someone like this smoking a cigarette while running should be looked at as it's not that big a deal?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there: I have a friend who smokes, but is muscular, fit, can do loads of hard cardio and doesn't have any health issues. Is in much better condition and health than many lean people who exercise that I know.
    Do you think someone like this smoking a cigarette while running should be looked at as it's not that big a deal?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think the important thing to think about is... it's an unhealthy habit that WILL ultimately lead to many negative health repercussions. It may not be causing a problem, YET, but, ultimately will. We know smoking tobacco causes cancer of the lunges, throat, and mouth. We know that it can shave years off your life and even second-hand smoke can cause health problems.

I look at obesity the same way.

Can someone (at a young age) who can run, and has no bad health effects YET be healthy and be obese? Sure. (even though this is NOT the case for the majority of people who are overweight. Many do not follow a "healthy" lifestyle) But the question isn't, can they be healthy right now? It's can that lifestyle be maintained long term without serious health issues in the future?

Many people who are overweight are even struggling with health issues without knowing it yet (like blood-sugar problems, pre-diabetes, even full blown diabetes, joint damage, hormone imbalance, and high blood pressure).
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think the important thing to think about is... it's an unhealthy habit that WILL ultimately lead to many negative health repercussions. It may not be causing a problem, YET, but, ultimately will. We know smoking tobacco causes cancer of the lunges, throat, and mouth. We know that it can shave years off your life and even second-hand smoke can cause health problems.

I look at obesity the same way.

Can someone (at a young age) who can run, and has no bad health effects YET be healthy and be obese? Sure. (even though this is NOT the case for the majority of people who are overweight. Many do not follow a "healthy" lifestyle) But the question isn't, can they be healthy right now? It's can that lifestyle be maintained long term without serious health issues in the future?

Many people who are overweight are even struggling with health issues without knowing it yet (like blood-sugar problems, pre-diabetes, even full blown diabetes, joint damage, hormone imbalance, and high blood pressure).

I understand what you're saying, and my instinct is to feel the same way. However, other than joint damage, which everyone eventually gets and is all but guaranteed with significant overweight, the research is apparently moving in the direction of suggesting that health IS actually at least POSSIBLE at many sizes (if not every size).

I don't usually appeal to authority, but I know Dr Sharma's name, he used to hold the Canada Research Chair of obesity studies (this is a huge deal; indicator of research excellence in Canada) - he's up on the latest stuff, if nothing else. (And I mean, some of the studies I've actually seen have supported the idea.) Of course there is much to suggest the opposite - certainly body composition / bf % is linked with ill health, even in normal weight people. (That's a concern for me - I'm normal weight but have high bf%, and my cholesterol number is borderline for the first time in my life, wasn't even like that when I was overweight. Obviously it's possible to be "thin" and unhealthy. Anyway, I'm working on that.) But I think it's still unclear what the outcomes are for overweight people who pursue health through diet and fitness, not sure there's a lot of research on that group specifically. Although looking at overweight people as a whole, some research is indeed saying it might not be all doom and gloom.

For me, I think I have probably always linked the look of an overweight body and of body fat with the idea of ill-health. It's very hard for me to separate them. And I wonder how much of the concern about health is covering up less PC responses to fat (on an aesthetic level) and people who carry fat, and how much health concern actually feeds into fat-phobia, whether directed towards one's self/body parts or at another person. I'm trying to be more mindful of and to question actual biases I think I probably hold.

But looking at the model on this cover - her posture is great, her chin is up, she's looking forward - she doesn't look ill to me, and I think I can see her as looking healthy, certainly it's a positive image. If that supports people pursuing fitness and health, that's a great thing, imo. If fighting biases that contribute to shame experienced by overweight people - shame that stops them from pursuing health - can help people move towards health, that's a great thing.

Some people may never make it to a normal BMI, but they can certainly live better. Making the perfect the enemy of the good is the wrong approach, imo.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So torn on this. I think it's wonderful to encourage the overweight people to run (or do whatever exercise) and lovely of them to include the fatties in their crowd. But down-playing the serious health risks it poses is just wrong. If people believe that, it could lead to them getting diseases, so it's almost evil to say that.

If people choose to smoke, drink, eat like crap and/or be fat, knowing the risks, that's their choice and not one to insult or look down on, IMO. But they need to know the risks. It's just not fair to allow people to do those things without knowing it can hurt them.

I also suspect that the woman who said they anticipated no reaction is a big, fat, liar. I think that they put a fat person on the cover just so that it would be discussed. That's not a bad thing, per se, but the lying is an insult to everyone's intelligence. So, less respect for Jessica and her magazine. But that's a separate issue.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's Friday. I thought mean was allowed on Friday.

You have it wrong. Friday is for mean people threads, not mean people. Although those threads do tend to draw out one or two mean people.....
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    The body is an organic machine with a cumulative stress and duty life.

Will you wear your out before disease gets you? Or lifestyle gets you via self imposed disease?

Some habits are more damaging than others. There is also the relative recuperative power that varies from person to person

I'm taking good care of my body to enjoy all aspects of life as much as I can.

If someone else decides to carry 40 lbs of fat and smoke, rock on brother. Your choices and your life

I like being able to roll out of bed and do a sprint triathslon with no prep/warning and complete it.

Your mileage may vary.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    So torn on this. I think it's wonderful to encourage the overweight people to run (or do whatever exercise)

Yeah actually I am not so keen on overweight people running. Or on anyone at any weight who doesn't *already know they're good at running* running. Ftr.