Health is more than body size. Don't use the scale to measure health.

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I think it's wonderful to encourage the overweight people to run (or do whatever exercise)

Yeah actually I am not so keen on overweight people running. Or on anyone at any weight who doesn't *already know they're good at running* running. Ftr.

Really.jpg

I have been running on and off since I was in my early twenties. I ran when I was fat, not so fat, and now that I'm not fat at all. I gained weight while running, I lost weight while running, and I maintain while running. I love running and will hopefully do it for the rest of my days.

Certainly, I find it easier to run now that I am at a healthy weight, and I'm a damned good runner too. I was a good runner too when I was overweight. The only way I was able to get to the place of being a good runner, was running when I was not so good at it, and to just keep it up no matter what, to push myself to the limits.

You probably brought your natural talent for running & running experience w you into your heavier times so were somewhat protected

No, I don't have a natural talent for running. It took a lot of hard work for me to get to the place I am now. I would not be where I am today if I had not chosen to run when I was overweight.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    wow

so me...who sucks at running for sure
    Must stop running because i am not good in it?

No, it's down to your appetite for risk. Go for it and be careful with form, and you might get lucky & have something beautiful to enjoy for years to come. I have become very risk-averse bc of my own experiences

but like i said before
    That comes down to common sense of the person
    And not for you or me to say you have to stop or dont run.

Oftentimes, the "common sense" of someone inexperienced in a sport is different from the "common sense" of someone who knows what they're doing / has experience. Sometimes you run into tendonitis (where btw pain emerges after tissue damage has already occured) before you learn what is "common sense" bc you are a know-nothing novice

Also, I said it was my opinion
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    wow

No, it's down to your appetite for risk. Go for it and be careful with form, and you might get lucky & have something beautiful to enjoy for years to come. I have become very risk-averse bc of my own experiences

but like i said before

Oftentimes, the "common sense" of someone inexperienced in a sport is different from the "common sense" of someone who knows what they're doing / has experience. Sometimes you run into tendonitis (where btw pain emerges after tissue damage has already occured) before you learn what is "common sense" bc you are a know-nothing novice

But isn't this kind of like when you're searching for an entry level job and everyone wants 5 years of experience? How do I get experience when I'm entry level? Don't I need the chance to prove myself? How can I prove myself if I can't get a job? It's a vicious cycle.

This is the same way. As long as you are under the care of a physician, I don't see a problem with trying new activities.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    wow

but like i said before

But isn't this kind of like when you're searching for an entry level job and everyone wants 5 years of experience? How do I get experience when I'm entry level? Don't I need the chance to prove myself? How can I prove myself if I can't get a job? It's a vicious cycle.

This is the same way. As long as you are under the care of a physician, I don't see a problem with trying new activities.

Yeah, definitely try everything that appeals, & guidance for sure helps. It's not a guarantee, though. I had great input on shoes, technique, etc., still happened. It's just going to for some people, that's all. Not everyone, of course. There's risk everywhere of course and like I said, up to any person to decide what they're ok with. Personally, if I could turn back time, I wouldn't do it again.
    Cher-If_I_Could_Turn_Back_Time_%28Cher-s_Greatest_Hits%29-Frontal.jpg
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing we have an expert here.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    It's a good thing we have an expert here.

I'm talking about stuff I learned the hard way, I'd rather not know it.
  • hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    "We live in a society where people who happen to carry a few extra pounds are looked down upon and face a lot of bias and discrimination — especially as you come to higher BMIs — and that makes their lives miserable. It's not that they actually have health problems."

If this were true than the majority of the population would not be obese. Again, the majority of the American population is obese. So who looks down at who? I live in Southern California, and you can hardly see a person in a normal weight range.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Being 75 pounds overweight at 25 for example is not near as bad as being 75 pounds overweight at 65.

Running at any age 75 pounds overweight is going to create undue harm I expect 100% of the time.

I am 64 and have lost 50 of my 75 overweight pounds and my health is already better than in the past 20 years.

• tomatoey
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    So torn on this. I think it's wonderful to encourage the overweight people to run (or do whatever exercise)

Yeah actually I am not so keen on overweight people running. Or on anyone at any weight who doesn't *already know they're good at running* running. Ftr.

What does that even mean?

How do you know you're good at running before you decide to try running?

I feel like almost no one has not had the opportunity to run (unlike say SCUBA diving or pole dancing) but admit this may not be true for everyone.

The following is my opinion (albeit one shared by at least two of my past physiotherapists):

Some people are built to run. Great biomechanics for running. They're like gazelles, beautiful to watch. They know they can run because when they do it, it's easy and feels good (vs bad).

Some people are ok at running. Medium biomechanics for running, maybe not perfect but they can make it work without hurting themselves.

Some people SUCK at running and will almost certainly hurt themselves if they do it long enough bc their mechanics for it are terrible.

The issue is when people THINK they're in group 2 but are actually in group 3. That can be long term bad news bears (it happened to me).

Many people who are ACTUALLY in group 2 will probably be fine, but there's no real way to know until you've already hurt yourself, possibly permanently

Fairly sure that as bipedal creatures, humans as a whole are in fact born to run.
    Now whether they're good at it or whether it's safe or whether they enjoy it or not is an individual matter.

That's a weird argument, obviously we're bipedal and human and not e.g. fish and humans generally run. Obviously I'm talking about the variation in whatever underlies biomechanics that's expressed in individuals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So torn on this. I think it's wonderful to encourage the overweight people to run (or do whatever exercise)

I feel like almost no one has not had the opportunity to run (unlike say SCUBA diving or pole dancing) but admit this may not be true for everyone.

The following is my opinion (albeit one shared by at least two of my past physiotherapists):

Some people are built to run. Great biomechanics for running. They're like gazelles, beautiful to watch. They know they can run because when they do it, it's easy and feels good (vs bad).

Some people are ok at running. Medium biomechanics for running, maybe not perfect but they can make it work without hurting themselves.

Some people SUCK at running and will almost certainly hurt themselves if they do it long enough bc their mechanics for it are terrible.

The issue is when people THINK they're in group 2 but are actually in group 3. That can be long term bad news bears (it happened to me).

Many people who are ACTUALLY in group 2 will probably be fine, but there's no real way to know until you've already hurt yourself, possibly permanently

Fairly sure that as bipedal creatures, humans as a whole are in fact born to run.
    Now whether they're good at it or whether it's safe or whether they enjoy it or not is an individual matter.

That's a weird argument, obviously we're bipedal and human and not e.g. fish and humans generally run. Obviously I'm talking about the variation in whatever underlies biomechanics that's expressed in individuals.

Huh? What does this even mean?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Huh? What does this even mean?

In summary...nothing.
  • quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    genetics???????

and anyway, the POINT of running (and training in general) is to also accept the fact that you'll see obesity in runners trying to lose weight and become healthier, too

professional trainers not attuned to broscience will tell you that losing weight should never only be doing it for your ego bc you'll eventually become discouraged when you don't look good fast enough for your liking

training of any kind shouldn't be done only for looks and imho neither should eating healthy (portions, calories)............. that's why i hate the 'eating clean' crap i see and all those bogus fad diets. like what the heck is eating clean??? why not just eat and make sure you fill your macronutrients to ensure you're healthy and reaping the benefits of nourishing your body???

i just think people who get butthurt about heavier people trying to become healthy and also embrace their bodies instead of move on to develop disordered thinking need to find something better to do with their lives. like quit hating everything and everyone for no reason. /shrug
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I read an article on BBC recently that states that inactivity is worse for you than obesity

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30812439

at the end of the day being healthy weight and being active is better than being obese and active or skinny and inactive.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This is just rewarmed unhealth-acceptance. Ridiculous.

8391089_G.jpg

• zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    But I think it's still unclear what the outcomes are for overweight people who pursue health through diet and fitness ...

One would think that a wholehearted pursuit of health through diet and fitness would result in weight loss, yes? I was reading the other day about a somewhat well-known HAES advocate who is, according to her writings, in the midst of training for a triathlon. She describes some pretty hard-core workouts -- to the point that NOT losing weight would actually require some *effort.*
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options
    genetics???????

yes exactly, genetic variation, that is what i meant, there is genetic variation in biomechanics (and connective tissue health and blah blah blah). and you just don't actually know what your genetics will incline your body to do when you run, until you do it (and it is too late).

the rates of injury for runners range from 25 to 85%. yes there are many factors (recreational vs. competitive, age ect) , but e.g. in this study of 844 new runners, who all participated in a 12-week intro to running clinic, fully 30% of them were injured. http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/37/3/239.full . high bmi was a risk factor. shoes may or may not make a difference, there are studies on that too, all of that is controversial bc ppl love running (i even did for a while) - all i'm saying is that if you have some reason to think you will be crappy at running, my advice is to try something less risky, if you would like to have better odds of enjoying long periods of injury-free or injury-minimal activity and health.

very few people hurt themselves walking, and although obviously running burns ^ calories, the % difference in terms of burn rate isn't a lot, and it isn't worth the risk (IN MY OPINION, obviously opinions vary).

some other thoughts on running by people who aren't me:

"But despite the bold colors and additions of gels, foams, air pockets, and arch supports, more than 50 percent of runners still get injured in a given year, a rate virtually identical to that of 30 years ago. Running has been (perhaps unfairly) saddled with the perception that it’s to blame for arthritis and general orthopedic wear and tear, but the sport is linked with an injury rate that might make the NFL seem reasonable."

but yeah go for it have a ball
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    genetics???????

yes exactly, genetic variation, that is what i meant, there is genetic variation in biomechanics (and connective tissue health and blah blah blah). and you just don't actually know what your genetics will incline your body to do when you run, until you do it (and it is too late).

the rates of injury for runners range from 25 to 85%. yes there are many factors (recreational vs. competitive, age ect) , but e.g. in this study of 844 new runners, who all participated in a 12-week intro to running clinic, fully 30% of them were injured. http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/37/3/239.full . high bmi was a risk factor. shoes may or may not make a difference, there are studies on that too, all of that is controversial bc ppl love running (i even did for a while) - all i'm saying is that if you have some reason to think you will be crappy at running, my advice is to try something less risky, if you would like to have better odds of enjoying long periods of injury-free or injury-minimal activity and health.

very few people hurt themselves walking, and although obviously running burns ^ calories, the % difference in terms of burn rate isn't a lot, and it isn't worth the risk (IN MY OPINION, obviously opinions vary).

Damn, it's too bad that I read this too late. Alas, I am now injured. A month ago I twisted my ankle and broke off the tip of my fibula. But, hang on, I am confused? I didn't do this running, in fact, in the past several years of running I've not injured myself during that activity. Even when I started and was 75 pounds heavier than I am now. And I'm still pretty damn heavy. This injury happened while I was walking on a gravel road. So, maybe I should give up walking. Based on my experience, it's a much more dangerous activity than running is.

BTW - I know TONS of people who hurt themselves walking. We walk a lot, and sometimes take a misstep and end up injured. It happens. But, it's better to be active and risk occasional injury than it is to be sedentary and have all of the major health risks that inactivity brings.