Health is more than body size. Don't use the scale to measure health.

Options

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    So torn on this. I think it's wonderful to encourage the overweight people to run (or do whatever exercise)

Yeah actually I am not so keen on overweight people running. Or on anyone at any weight who doesn't *already know they're good at running* running. Ftr.

What does that even mean?

How do you know you're good at running before you decide to try running?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So torn on this. I think it's wonderful to encourage the overweight people to run (or do whatever exercise)

Yeah actually I am not so keen on overweight people running. Or on anyone at any weight who doesn't *already know they're good at running* running. Ftr.

Good thing that's only your opinion. And you are wrong. FTR.

What the heck does "already know they are good at running" mean? If that's the case, a huge number of people, "good runners" included, would never run.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Dammit. I swear there were no other posts when I responded.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

and why are you not keen on overweight people running?

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

I started running when I was overweight. I also wasn't particularly great at it. I have since completely C25K, many 5Ks, 9Ks, 10Ks and now am training for a half marathon, but by what you said...I should just quit. I am still not a naturally great runner, but I work gosh darn hard at it. I guess I suck.

well, at least you now know to stop wasting your time. better late than never. if only she could have stopped you earlier!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options

I didn't wait until I was in shape to start doing things that people in shape often do.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

Joint stress
  • BWBTrish
    Options

Joint stress

But that is not for everybody the same. And not up to us to not be keen on it.
    People have to be sensible about these things, and ask their doctor.

I went from walking to jogging and a bit of running...with my bad joints and knee and hip and left leg...and it is much stronger now.
    But i know a lot of people who are overweight and run and having no problems...

• tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »

What does that even mean?

How do you know you're good at running before you decide to try running?

I feel like almost no one has not had the opportunity to run (unlike say SCUBA diving or pole dancing) but admit this may not be true for everyone.

The following is my opinion (albeit one shared by at least two of my past physiotherapists):

Some people are built to run. Great biomechanics for running. They're like gazelles, beautiful to watch. They know they can run because when they do it, it's easy and feels good (vs bad).

Some people are ok at running. Medium biomechanics for running, maybe not perfect but they can make it work without hurting themselves.

Some people SUCK at running and will almost certainly hurt themselves if they do it long enough bc their mechanics for it are terrible.

The issue is when people THINK they're in group 2 but are actually in group 3. That can be long term bad news bears (it happened to me).

Many people who are ACTUALLY in group 2 will probably be fine, but there's no real way to know until you've already hurt yourself, possibly permanently
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I think it's wonderful to encourage the overweight people to run (or do whatever exercise)

Really.jpg

I have been running on and off since I was in my early twenties. I ran when I was fat, not so fat, and now that I'm not fat at all. I gained weight while running, I lost weight while running, and I maintain while running. I love running and will hopefully do it for the rest of my days.

Certainly, I find it easier to run now that I am at a healthy weight, and I'm a damned good runner too. I was a good runner too when I was overweight. The only way I was able to get to the place of being a good runner, was running when I was not so good at it, and to just keep it up no matter what, to push myself to the limits.

• tomatoey
    Options
    Also, you can get the same CV benefits from less risky endurance activities, so why put yourself at risk (if you think, based on previous suckage at running, that you might possibly suck at running)
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    wow

so me...who sucks at running for sure
    Must stop running because i am not good in it?

• tomatoey
    Options
    wow

No, it's down to your appetite for risk. Go for it and be careful with form, and you might get lucky & have something beautiful to enjoy for years to come. I have become very risk-averse bc of my own experiences
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    wow

No, it's down to your appetite for risk. Go for it and be careful with form, and you might get lucky & have something beautiful to enjoy for years to come. I have become very risk-averse bc of my own experiences

but like i said before
    That comes down to common sense of the person
    And not for you or me to say you have to stop or dont run.

• tomatoey
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I think it's wonderful to encourage the overweight people to run (or do whatever exercise)

Really.jpg

I have been running on and off since I was in my early twenties. I ran when I was fat, not so fat, and now that I'm not fat at all. I gained weight while running, I lost weight while running, and I maintain while running. I love running and will hopefully do it for the rest of my days.

Certainly, I find it easier to run now that I am at a healthy weight, and I'm a damned good runner too. I was a good runner too when I was overweight. The only way I was able to get to the place of being a good runner, was running when I was not so good at it, and to just keep it up no matter what, to push myself to the limits.

You probably brought your natural talent for running & running experience w you into your heavier times so were somewhat protected
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    And there is a huge difference between not being good at something and doing it for the fun and get fit.
    And some professional and/or serious running
  • tomatoey
    Options
    And there is a huge difference between not being good at something and doing it for the fun and get fit.
    And some professional and/or serious running

Yeah there is. But for some people, it doesn't take much to trip them into the danger zone

kennyloggins.jpg

Some people, C25K = the danger zone

dangerzone002.jpg

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and ran a little tonight. I do it because I'm proving to myself that I'm more than what I think, and that things that are hard now will be a little easier tomorrow if I just put in the extra effort. That's how I learned to do everything. I wasn't always "good" at psychology. Now I'm a psychologist. I didn't know that I would be "good" at it at first. Like everything else, it takes hard work, tons of practice, and patience. I wasn't always "good" at cooking either, but I didn't let the fear of an oven fire stop me from learning and continuing to practice and hone my skills.

I am determined. I have learned that I can succeed now where I have failed in the past if I'm willing to work for it.

I might not look like a gazelle when I run around my neighborhood and, quite frankly, I'm learning not to care what neighbors looking out their windows might be thinking. At least I'm off the couch, out of the house, doing something to improve my health. You don't have to like to watch me (in fact, please don't, because staring at people exercising is creepy). I'm still going to do it. If I start to have trouble with my joints I'll consult with my doctor and will alter my activity as needed. I'm not going to do something stupid "just because".

And about the article--I'm not a doctor and I can't speak to the points. I can say that the woman featured on the cover was my personal inspiration for getting out and being active. If she can jog in a park in NYC and be overweight, I can certainly walk and jog around my little suburban neighborhood. So while the rest of it might be BS, I found it inspirational.