Health is more than body size. Don't use the scale to measure health.

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Your article is from 2002, and more aptly:
    Results: Age played an important part in injury in women: being over 50 years old was a risk factor for overall injury, and being less than 31 years was protective against new injury. Running only one day a week showed a non-significant trend for injury risk in men and was a significant risk factor in women and overall injury. A BMI of > 26 kg/m2 was reported as protective for men. Running shoe age also significantly contributed to the injury model. Half of the participants who reported an injury had had a previous injury; 42% of these reported that they were not completely rehabilitated on starting the 13 week training programme. An injury rate of 29.5% was recorded across all training clinics surveyed. The knee was the most commonly injured site.

Conclusions: Although age, BMI, running frequency (days a week), and running shoe age were associated with injury, these results do not take into account an adequate measure of exposure time to injury, running experience, or previous injury and should thus be viewed accordingly. In addition, the reason for the discrepancy in injury rate between these 17 clinics requires further study.

Where in the results and conclusions is there support that you are not supposed to run if you are overweight?

There are many factors that can lead to running injury. In fact, someone who is fit and running can get injured.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    hmmm.... I agree that, whatever weight you are, exercising is better than not exercising. But HAES goes a little too far with it. When a person goes over slightly overweight into obese, bad things *are* going to start happening even if it waits 'til middle age. I found this out the hard way. A mere 30 lb and my joints started breaking down and I became prediabetic even though I was walking 3 miles a day every day. Losing the weight made my joints and blood sugar get much better. I feel like there's a certain element of denial in the HAES way of thinking. I don't believe in persecuting people for being fat, but I also don't believe in pretending it will make no difference in a person's health. The current backlash of fat acceptance is because people are sick of being denigrated and treated as second class citizens, but it's going overboard into the notion that it is just as healthy as being normal sized... that, unfortunately, is false.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Otterluv wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    genetics???????

yes exactly, genetic variation, that is what i meant, there is genetic variation in biomechanics (and connective tissue health and blah blah blah). and you just don't actually know what your genetics will incline your body to do when you run, until you do it (and it is too late).

the rates of injury for runners range from 25 to 85%. yes there are many factors (recreational vs. competitive, age ect) , but e.g. in this study of 844 new runners, who all participated in a 12-week intro to running clinic, fully 30% of them were injured. http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/37/3/239.full . high bmi was a risk factor. shoes may or may not make a difference, there are studies on that too, all of that is controversial bc ppl love running (i even did for a while) - all i'm saying is that if you have some reason to think you will be crappy at running, my advice is to try something less risky, if you would like to have better odds of enjoying long periods of injury-free or injury-minimal activity and health.

very few people hurt themselves walking, and although obviously running burns ^ calories, the % difference in terms of burn rate isn't a lot, and it isn't worth the risk (IN MY OPINION, obviously opinions vary).

Damn, it's too bad that I read this too late. Alas, I am now injured. A month ago I twisted my ankle and broke off the tip of my fibula. But, hang on, I am confused? I didn't do this running, in fact, in the past several years of running I've not injured myself during that activity. Even when I started and was 75 pounds heavier than I am now. And I'm still pretty damn heavy. This injury happened while I was walking on a gravel road. So, maybe I should give up walking. Based on my experience, it's a much more dangerous activity than running is.

BTW - I know TONS of people who hurt themselves walking. We walk a lot, and sometimes take a misstep and end up injured. It happens. But, it's better to be active and risk occasional injury than it is to be sedentary and have all of the major health risks that inactivity brings.

You....I like.

smiley-face-thumbs-up-Smiley-face-with-thumbs-up.jpg
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Otterluv wrote: »
    BTW - I know TONS of people who hurt themselves walking. We walk a lot, and sometimes take a misstep and end up injured. It happens. But, it's better to be active and risk occasional injury than it is to be sedentary and have all of the major health risks that inactivity brings.

sure but the rates for walking are much lower than for running. it's a risk calculation, agreed, and 100% agree that some activity is better than no activity.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's hard to predict injury rates in people. I was young and slender and practicing martial arts, back in the day. I had excellent instruction and was very careful in my form. However... my knees turned out to be subpar. I ended up in surgery rather than taking my green belt test and the doctor told me very firmly that I had best find another method of exercise that didn't include torque on the knees *or* more than minimal impact. Some of us are going to find out too late that we weren't made for a particular sport. Luck of the draw I figure. I was upset, but I just had to be realistic and readjust what I was doing. mehh... life is like that.
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Your article is from 2002, and more aptly:
    Results: Age played an important part in injury in women: being over 50 years old was a risk factor for overall injury, and being less than 31 years was protective against new injury. Running only one day a week showed a non-significant trend for injury risk in men and was a significant risk factor in women and overall injury. A BMI of > 26 kg/m2 was reported as protective for men. Running shoe age also significantly contributed to the injury model. Half of the participants who reported an injury had had a previous injury; 42% of these reported that they were not completely rehabilitated on starting the 13 week training programme. An injury rate of 29.5% was recorded across all training clinics surveyed. The knee was the most commonly injured site.

Conclusions: Although age, BMI, running frequency (days a week), and running shoe age were associated with injury, these results do not take into account an adequate measure of exposure time to injury, running experience, or previous injury and should thus be viewed accordingly. In addition, the reason for the discrepancy in injury rate between these 17 clinics requires further study.

Where in the results and conclusions is there support that you are not supposed to run if you are overweight?

There are many factors that can lead to running injury. In fact, someone who is fit and running can get injured.

Yes, there are many factors, various studies implicate BMI eg this one
    http://ojs.sagepub.com/content/1/1/2325967113487316.short
    gothchiq wrote: »
    It's hard to predict injury rates in people. I was young and slender and practicing martial arts, back in the day. I had excellent instruction and was very careful in my form. However... my knees turned out to be subpar. I ended up in surgery rather than taking my green belt test and the doctor told me very firmly that I had best find another method of exercise that didn't include torque on the knees *or* more than minimal impact. Some of us are going to find out too late that we weren't made for a particular sport. Luck of the draw I figure. I was upset, but I just had to be realistic and readjust what I was doing. mehh... life is like that.

true :/ totally luck of the draw. sorry about your knees :(
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options

Did you read this from your most recent study?
    Conclusion: The findings of the present study suggest BMI >30 kg/m2, age between 45 and 65 years, noncompetitive behavior, and previous injuries not related to running are associated with increased risk of injury among novice runners, while BMI <20 kg/m2 was protective. Still, the role of the risk factors in the causal mechanism leading to injury needs to be investigated.

BMI is only one factor, and the results of the study are basically inconclusive.

When I was fat and running I did not have an injury one single time. In fact, I've never had a running injury.
  • hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The issue is not whether a fat person can run or not. I see the issue and have a problem with that in out society everybody has to get a gold star, even for sub-par behavior, just not to offend a person, and we all have to be politically correct. They find one overweight person who can run and it is publicly glorified. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. Yes, you may be one of those who are overweight - even obese - and still can run. But being overweight is darn unhealthy and sooner or later you are going to pay the piper. Just look around you. How many obese 70-80 years olds do you know? Probably not many...they are gone before their time.
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options

Conclusion: The findings of the present study suggest BMI >30 kg/m2, age between 45 and 65 years, noncompetitive behavior, and previous injuries not related to running are associated with increased risk of injury among novice runners, while BMI <20 kg/m2 was protective. Still, the role of the risk factors in the causal mechanism leading to injury needs to be investigated.

BMI is only one factor, and the results of the study are basically inconclusive.

When I was fat and running I did not have an injury one single time. In fact, I've never had a running injury.

Yes, I said there are multiple factors that go into it.

It's good that you haven't been injured. You probably have decent biomechanics. (Seriously, if you've done it for years with not a single injury, you're pretty unusual.) But you are not everyone. n=1 is a pretty unacceptable sample size from which to generalize. I am not everyone either, also an n=1. But the fact remains that the risk is high for many. What I initially said was that my OPINION was that overweight people and people of any weight who suck at running would do better to not run. I am pretty much done explaining that.

hugheseva wrote: »
    The issue is not whether a fat person can run or not.

Thank you
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Generally, I agree that weight isn't necessarily what's needed to determine how healthy/fit you are. I'm overweight (but slimming down), and I know I can out walk/run some of my skinnier friends. They don't eat well or exercise like I do now. I have more energy then them.

Yes, in that people can be more or less healthy at any weight, people can certainly be more or less fit at any weight (although once you get to a certain level of obesity your absolute fitness is certainly more limited), and you can be technically overweight (BMI 26, say) and really quite fit and healthy.

I would consider it a positive message to encourage people at any weight to try to improve their fitness and NOT tell people to wait to lose weight before focusing on fitness or exercise.
    That being said, it's nice to see someone who's that overweight exercising, but I would think that if she continues running, and actually eats healthy, she won't stay that way for long. While it said she's been a runner for 10yrs, I'm wondering about her other habits if she's still that large.

I agree with this too.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    So torn on this. I think it's wonderful to encourage the overweight people to run (or do whatever exercise)

Yeah actually I am not so keen on overweight people running. Or on anyone at any weight who doesn't *already know they're good at running* running. Ftr.

What?
    How do you know if you're good at something until you actually do it? Furthermore, how do you get better at something unless you keep doing it.
    Truly, I don't understand.

+1

And also I guess I knew I was "good at running" (whatever that means) in that I'd done it in the past, but I started running again at about 200 lbs, and I'm quite happy I did. (Of course, what I really wish is that I'd never stopped.)
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    This is just rewarmed unhealth-acceptance. Ridiculous.

8391089_G.jpg
    They're pandering to the absurd notions of the new majority.
    I pity anybody falling for this instead of striving to become his or her best. Rolling around this big is not an ideal to strive toward or a condition I would ever accept in myself.

To each his own though.... :#

• lemurcat12
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    So torn on this. I think it's wonderful to encourage the overweight people to run (or do whatever exercise)

Yeah actually I am not so keen on overweight people running. Or on anyone at any weight who doesn't *already know they're good at running* running. Ftr.

I started running when I was overweight. I also wasn't particularly great at it. I have since completely C25K, many 5Ks, 9Ks, 10Ks and now am training for a half marathon, but by what you said...I should just quit. I am still not a naturally great runner, but I work gosh darn hard at it. I guess I suck.

I ran a 5K last year when I was still obese. I can't remember if I was obese or still overweight when I ran my 10K. I was definitely still overweight (but not obese) when I did my first half (not my first ever, but my first after getting back into running). Perhaps some thought I was a poor role model when running that first half, as I was still overweight, but you have to know the back story, and mine was that I'd lost about 60 lbs and was both reasonably fit and working hard at both getting fitter and losing weight (which running helped me with).

And more generally aimed at the OP and some of the comments on that: There's also a photo of me on my profile doing a 30 bike ride while quite obese--a ride that while nothing that amazing is something some of my thin friends would never do (nor would they run even 3 miles). So I wouldn't say being fat means you can't work on fitness or even be fit in some senses.

Obviously, if you focus on fitness and are significantly overweight you will tend to lose weight, though (and focusing on fitness includes eating appropriately, not overeating, IMO).

I wasn't delusional, but I was proud of myself (and some of the other fatties out there for the first time) when I finished my 5K, and I was proud of the fitness advances I'd made when I finished my 10K and half and when I just exercised regularly every week and kept making improvements. I don't see the benefit of claiming that fitness is irrelevant if you are overweight. Getting fit is part of improving health and changing one's weight.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

8391089_G.jpg

Encouraging fat people to exercise rather than be inactive is not unhealth acceptance. It's encouragement of healthier behaviors (and an acknowledgement that lots of fat people feel embarrassed to or like they can't exercise). I'm happy I started being active again when still obese and I got a lot more comments about inspiring people then than I get now.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

8391089_G.jpg

Encouraging fat people to exercise rather than be inactive is not unhealth acceptance. It's encouragement of healthier behaviors (and an acknowledgement that lots of fat people feel embarrassed to or like they can't exercise). I'm happy I started being active again when still obese and I got a lot more comments about inspiring people then than I get now.

+1.

+2.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    I used to not be able to run for a minute without having to stop. I told myself....I am never going to be able to run.

I worked hard at it and increased my fitness. I focused on my cardio fitness and my form. I ran 8 miles this morning.

If I had said that I am not meant to run (which is such BS) then I never would have been able to accomplish any of the goals I have with running.

As for joint stress. For sure it has been easier for me to run in the last few months because I have dropped 55 lbs. However it is also a chicken and the egg thing for me. I also lost 55 lbs because I ate at a deficit...and I spent a lot of time out and running. I am also seeing definition in my legs I haven't seen in decades.

I am so glad I didn't listen to the opinions of "you are too fat to run." While weight is for sure a factor....I believe that training and cardio fitness is a much bigger factor. I am glad I have gotten my body conditioned to run.

And this.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    And there is a huge difference between not being good at something and doing it for the fun and get fit.
    And some professional and/or serious running

Yeah there is. But for some people, it doesn't take much to trip them into the danger zone

kennyloggins.jpg

Some people, C25K = the danger zone

dangerzone002.jpg

For some people, that may be true. And if one is really struggling with such a program, it is a good idea to cut the app times in half. Work at a pace that is best for you (general use).

Just because someone may not be the best runner to have ever put on running shoes, that doesn't necessarily mean that running should be avoided. Who cares if snotty strangers don't approve of the form or speed, especially when they weren't asked? What does matter, is the person taking the initiative to be healthier and more fit in a responsible manner.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Yes, I said there are multiple factors that go into it.

It's good that you haven't been injured. You probably have decent biomechanics. (Seriously, if you've done it for years with not a single injury, you're pretty unusual.) But you are not everyone. n=1 is a pretty unacceptable sample size from which to generalize. I am not everyone either, also an n=1. But the fact remains that the risk is high for many. What I initially said was that my OPINION was that overweight people and people of any weight who suck at running would do better to not run. I am pretty much done explaining that.

hugheseva wrote: »
    The issue is not whether a fat person can run or not.

Thank you

No, this is what you said: