WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Mary in Minnesota, I am preparing to start strong lifts. I get the daily emails and downloaded the app to my phone. They say things happen for a reason...the year before last I was trying to sell my weight bench in anticipation of moving with my then SO out of state to begin a life together. I couldn't give it away and now I am so glad because I have the equipment I need to begin this program. I want to look just like you! The next step is to get my son and DIL to move all their stuff out of my exercise space in the basement. I think I'll be ready by September, I should have hit my goal weight and figured it all out. I like to have everything set ahead of time so I can go full steam ahead.

One thing about his daily emails, they only seem to last a month. I even changed my email address and still they were the same emails as before and lasted the same amount of time. I even sent email questions without a response. If you need any info along the way message me and we can communicate that way. You are going to be so glad that you are doing this. Take pictures and measurements as well. You will notice significant results within 3 weeks. I lost 9 inches in 3 weeks, 17total in 6 weeks, and 24 total in 9 weeks. Be prepared to gain a little weight, I gained 4 lbs during 4-6 week period. I don't weigh myself anymore, I just measure and go by the fit of my clothes. I also eat more protein and other treats. 1600 plus calories most days and up to 2200 usually on weekends or special occasions. I now do cardio only for fun. Good luck!

Michele- I have been so busy with moving and mostly only able to skim most posts, but I would love to make the spinach feta quiche! Do you know what page the reciepe is on or could you post it for me? Thanks!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.29min, 14.1amph, 2.9mi = 117c
    spin- 40min, 85ar, 74aw, 8-10g, 16.7mi = 268c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.47min, 11.9amph, 1.3mi = 65c
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.59min, 2.9mi = 9.7amph = 148c
    tota cal 598
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Lisag, welcome. I’m not sure if this was your first post because I’ve been away and skimming really fast. Congrats on the great loss. The last time I lost weight and this time, no one noticed my loss until I had lost about 45 pounds. It sounds like you may have the same problem. I was definitely smaller before that, but no one noticed. I don’t know what to tell you about the hair cut?? Maybe try dying in?? just kidding.

JulieJ, you join by posting, so welcome. Now tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Joyce, you mentioned you don’t like an open floor plan. You sure don’t have to have one, but if for some reason you did decide to do it, you know the counter that faces the family room can be high (Like a breakfast bar) so no one can see the kitchen from the sofa. LOL OMG, you mean we can get high from canned air at Walmart?? Woo Hoo

Labgirl, welcome. You will find this a very supportive and informative group of ladies. Please tell us about yourself and sign each post with the name you want to be called.

Terri, Hope you get the tooth fixed.

Pip, I’d probably have a moooooooooo cow too, even if I knew that could be corrected.

Barbie, WTG om getting the house for your weight training. And DH got his errands done, also…what a Win Win!

Penny, glad to hear that your hare fence kept the pesky rabbits out.

Heather, I can just picture you “sprinting up the escalators on the underground! Past all the young folks!” LOL Isn’t it a wonderful thing?

Purple, welcome to this group of lovely ladies. Please tell us a little more about yourself to help us get to know you. Also please sign each post with the name you want us to call you. Are your parents not willing to keep these sugar treats in a spot that is less tempting to you? Your goals sound good if you just work on them a little at a time. You can do this.

MicheleNC, do you know why you are dizzy?
    welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I got up at 3:30 this morning so I could get to the airport in plenty of time for my flight. Of course when I got there, I found the flight was delayed for more than an hour. Had a pleasant, although rather cold, flight and arrived home to much needed rain. Had to quickly read the 65 posts so now I’m off to sleep in my own bed. Woo Hoo
    I wish the best for all of you and I wish you all health and happiness. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Janetr - I'm not in any danger of flirting, thank goodness. He is happily married and so am I. <3 Given a desert island and no partners things might be different, but I am happy to report no twinges. :laugh:

Heather UK

Just giving you a hard time. Glad to know there were no twinges :)

Janetr OKC

• fanncy0626
    edited August 2015
    Options
    pjnva wrote: »
    I had to run out and get a new UP band today. My UP24 had not synced since 11:30 this morning. Tried to manually update called tech support... it's dead :'( They will be sending me a new Up 2 to replace it but it won't arrive for 10 days. I cannot go 10 days without my tracker. Funny how I only just started using it again two weeks ago and all ready I am hooked and don't want to be without it. It really does keep me motivated to walk that much more. I'm bummed I have no data from 11:30 am to 7:30 pm. That was the peak of my day. Oh well tomorrow is a new day. I go see my cardiologist tomorrow and hopefully she is still on board with me going on our Alaska cruise departing this Friday.
    I use my IPhone to track my steps on MFP. If you have an IPhone you can use that until you get your UP.

DJ - Welcome home!

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    According to FitBit I only average 5.23 hours of sleep nightly. I'm trying to increase that. I know I would feel better if I got more rest. I have had problems with insomnia for years and years. I've read books on all the things to do to enhance sleep. Anyone else have this problem, and/or any good solutions?

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    janetr and Cheri - I wonder if it isn't the time of the month? I am post menopausal and maybe this is the time I would normally be menstrating. I am going to keep track of this urge to eat everything in sight. I found out by tracking my hot flashes that they were worse during one week out of the month. I no longer have too many of those so Now it might be food urges. It is nice being able to talk about it with someone. I now are controling them or substituting with healthy food like janetr did!
    Mary from Minnesotqa

Well this certainly is an interesting take on the situation. I am 11 years post-menopausal. I experienced natural early menopause as I was only 45 yo when I finished up. Had to take HRT meds for about 6 years as the hot flashes/night sweats were debilitating and extremely effecting my quality of life. Since going off those I do find that my body temp is higher and I will perspire quicker than most. I have noticed though that some days I do have very light hot flashes. I am going to monitor those and see if there is any correlation as you have mentioned.

Cheri in thankfully rainy NE Ohio this evening

The thot never even occurred to me. I had to have a complete hysterectomy when I 35 (30 years ago). I always associate the urge to eat everything in sight with stress, depression, overtired, etc.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited August 2015
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Michele- I have been so busy with moving and mostly only able to skim most posts, but I would love to make the spinach feta quiche! Do you know what page the reciepe is on or could you post it for me? Thanks!

Mary from Minnesota

I'm not Michele :) but its a recipe Heather told us about. You can find it at "Easy Crust-less Spinach and Feta Pie, Skinnytaste.com". I was going to copy and paste it but it has a lot of pictures telling how to put it together, etc. Its actually very easy tho as the name implies.

Janetr OKC
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Remember counting calories is a guide not a message from God. At rehab today it was about tracking, how people hate doing it. Reasons 1. Have to be honest on intake 2. Judging3. Failure 4. Life won't change 5. Fear 6. Perfection. Normal eating isn't perfection, yes these people will emotional eat. The difference is just not all the time. Question from today: how does being over weight contribute to you in making excuses in life ? ie: didn't get the raise because of weight or didn't live my dreams because of my weight. The truth isn't weight what is it?? Please share ( if you like) .
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Remember counting calories is a guide not a message from God. At rehab today it was about tracking, how people hate doing it. Reasons 1. Have to be honest on intake 2. Judging3. Failure 4. Life won't change 5. Fear 6. Perfection. Normal eating isn't perfection, yes these people will emotional eat. The difference is just not all the time. Question from today: how does being over weight contribute to you in making excuses in life ? ie: didn't get the raise because of weight or didn't live my dreams because of my weight. The truth isn't weight what is it?? Please share ( if you like) .

It cut me off
    Options

It cut me off

Gayle Minneapolis
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hey Gals,
    Started the day pretty good..usual brunch (I don't sleep well so I get up late) of yogurt berries and quarter cup of granola...did some errands ending with seeing my very old aunt in the hospital and realizing she was very near death..which may have set me up for coming home ready to prepare my healthy chicken and garden veggies..to find a super huge Bday cake(not mine) from the food pantry on my counter opened w a slice cut out. Pretty disappointed in myself that I chose to eat a piece which sank me into a mood swing(I also am bipolar) and I couldn't boomerang back to finish the chicken dinner or excersize. My sister was my saving grace however and surprised me with a big bowl of homemade turkey meatball and kale soup (also fresh from the garden). So I still came in under my calories but the quality was tainted. This is the third time this week my kids have brought stuff way off my plan home and left it on the counter. I think I would have better self control if I made a large amount of ready to eat healthy meals to grab instead when I encounter such challenges..so my goal next week is to menu plan and prepare ahead meals for next week. I also asked the kids to be more considerate of my plan. Lastly, I am thinking of a Fitbit. But which is better a HR or is the Surge worth the extra bucks? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks ladies.
    Mindy from Boston
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Just checking in before I head to bed. We had our annual drive for our high school booster club tonight so I was at the school for four hours. I was tired when I got home but had to have a little kitty time. Well all four kitties crawled up on my lap and fell asleep. They were so adorable I couldn't move them. So an hour later and I'm finally heading to bed. I'm under calories today and I'm hungry but I don't want to eat anything this late. I'll go to bed hungry and hope that means I'll be burning fat while I sleep.

As Pip would say... Type to you later.
    Linda/IA
  • fanncy0626
    edited August 2015
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    According to FitBit I only average 5.23 hours of sleep nightly. I'm trying to increase that. I know I would feel better if I got more rest. I have had problems with insomnia for years and years. I've read books on all the things to do to enhance sleep. Anyone else have this problem, and/or any good solutions?

Janetr OKC

I have that trouble too! Dr Oz's sleep Dr said we go to bed too early. If you normally get 5 1/2 hours of great sleep count back from time you need/want to get up and that is the time you need to start going to bed. So, 1:30 bed time for a 7:00 wake up. Also quite Time with dim soft light. 1 hour before (starting at 12:30.) Relive your day during that period and solve all issues. Warm bath, sleepy time tea, cuddle with DH. No sex for women any later then 2-3 hours before bed time. It wakes us up. You need to increase sleep time gradually. 8-10 hours is what we should get. So, go to bed 5 minutes earlier after you start to be able to get into a routine and eventually work up to 8 hours or more.

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mary - Well I don't go to bed early for sure. I stay up until at least 1 or 2 most often. I may sleep a little later if I stay up later, but I don't sleep longer. I also want to eat if I get tired and stay up a long time after Jack goes to bed. I'll try some of the relaxing, etc.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    edited August 2015
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Mary - Well I don't go to bed early for sure. I stay up until at least 1 or 2 most often. I may sleep a little later if I stay up later, but I don't sleep longer. I also want to eat if I get tired and stay up a long time after Jack goes to bed. I'll try some of the relaxing, etc.

Janetr OKC

What I described to you is meant to be a dedicated routine. So, you decide on a very specific wake up time. And a very specific bed time. The other is also mandatory, relaxing, quite, dim lights... Not separate strategies but a routine. It is supposed to be guaranteed to work! I have not had the time to dedicate to this yet. I have incorporated most though and I do sleep most nights around 5-6 hours which is up from 1-3.

However, I often take the best concepts and make them my own.

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Joyce – congrats on 6+ lbs!!!! WTG

Alison – blow those work crazies off…

Lisa – you are super wonder woman…. Those folks may not know what hit them, but they will learn a lot if they let themselves.

Oh dear I read everything and got caught up in the reading and did not write notes… silly me. Had a good day – lots of work, and book club tonight.

Off to bed – am lucky I sleep 7-8 hours – I just lay down turn off the light and fall asleep right away… I am thankful!

Kim

August Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles, 8/16 95 miles so far
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Visiting with niece Emily - a trip to SF
    W2 – BFF came for 2 days and a dinner party
    W3 –
    W4 –
    Kim from N. California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lisa, you mean that restaurant didn't even have a vacuum cleaner and only 1 dust pan??? That is bad. And this is a reputable place to eat? Sure am glad some one had sense enough to get you. The managers must have been single men who nothing at all about the need for cleaning. Momma always used to take care of it for them and now they are clueless.

Miriam, how can a sweet tortie be an overlooked cat. They are so sweet and their conversation is so unique. The first time I saw her was at this adoption event that had all the rescue organizations in town there. They each have their own events all the time but this was a big one. Michelle was there trying to find a forever home for a dog she was fostering so we went just to support her. I always have to check out the cats when I went to any of these events. Cats are just so darn cute and lovable. So that's where I first saw her. Her foster Mom had 2 cats, both torites. One was long haired and then there was Melody. We weren't even thinking about getting one. But both those cats just took hold of my heart and squeezed it hard. So we talked about it later that night and agreed I could have one of them. I would have taken both of them in a heart beat but is respect, I only chose one. The one I really wanted was the long haired one but she had been adopted at the event but Melody was still available.

LisaG, maybe some people don't want to talk about your weight loss. If they say you look so good, in their eyes it may mean you didn't look good before.

Terri, you can still go back and revise a days food log. I just don't like it if I see my food log complete. Sorry about the bad tooth.

Pip, I would have a cow also. This is for your ER visit in Las Vegas isn't it? I have gotten a bill from our hospital and it says I owe a big chunk. I call the hospital billing department about it and they say don't worry about it. They still have gotten payment from Medicare yet. It sure is hard not to worry about something like that. But I always get the person's name when they say not to worry about it. But in the end they are always right. When a person has 2 insurance companies, it goes to the non Medicare first and then the hospital bills to Medicare. And sometimes that takes months.

Mary, Minnesota, when have I never had that urge? It does get maddening. About a year after I started this diet, I finally got to the point that banned food items just didn't appeal to me anymore. But then the appeal came back. That is what is so disheartening to me. I did gain back 30 pounds, I absolutely crave chocolate at times, especially if i see a picture of it. So I keep on doubting if I can make this work like others have. As cheri said, have I really 'unlearned' these things???

Katla, our kids went back to school on the 10th!

Lenora, I am the one who has the paneling half wall in my kitchen. It is a dark walnut from way back in the late 70's. We had our huge family room paneled in it. Well that was the look those days. We just don't like the idea of painting over wood at all. We want it to look natural. We don't even like painted cabinets. I jutt want the whole kitchen out! I accept it as it is right now.All of our family and extended family come here for Thanksgiving and Christmas and even form the before and after pictures of the outside where we took the bushes out they are saying it just doesn't look like home now. When we were all at home we took a yearly vacation to Dad's Moms home in Minnesota. It was an old farm house and her house just wouldn't have been the same if it hadn't had her old, and I mean old, kitchen in it.

Penny, your life in Norway sounds so enchanting. It makes me want to go find the old classic 'Heidi' and read it again.

Becca, I am also so spoiled by doctor's offices that do all the work for me. I think we have had one specialist that up front tell you that they do not do any billing. It's that authorization paper that get's my gall in an uproar. When Charlie had his heart attack, he got the authorization for treatment 2 weeks after he was discharged.

purpleiris, welcome. It looks like you are going to have to 'retrain' you parents! Good luck with that.

DJ, if we ever did nay kind of open concept, it would be to take out the wall separating the kitchen from the living room and then making that room the dining room. But that is a supporting wall and it would also mean that we only have the family room and believe me, our marriage needs to separate space for Charlie and I. We both need out own TV and place to put our feet up. Plus it is a 4 bedroom house and a Mom isn't going to be wanting her kids downstairs when she is upstairs. Charlie keeps on saying he will be dead before he is 70, he is 67 now, and I sure would like to turn the living room into a dining room for now and then using one of the upstairs bedrooms a den. I just wish he wouldn't say that. So far no man in his family has lived as long as he has so he just says his time is up anytime now. since he is accepting aggressive therapy for his ulcerative colitis, i think he secretly believes he will be the one that beats the odds.

Janetr, over the counter Melatonin works wonders for my sleep. I take 2 mg every night.

Mindy, I have no particular thoughts on activity tracker vs a Hr monitor except to ask if you are on any medicine that brings down your heart rate. If so, the HR won't really give a good reading, The medicine I am taking about is a beta blocker. I think all of them end in has a generic name that has a 'olol' on the end like Sotalol, Atenolol. They are generally used for high blood pressure heart disease and in rare cares anxiety.

Linda. IA but think of how happy you were when you had those precious kittens all on your lap. That has to count for something!

Had a dear friend many years ago that went too church with me. She and I were the helpers in the children's choir. She helped with the higher voices and I helped with the ones who seemed to be able to lean harmony. I read today on face book where her Mom had died. Stephanie also has MS but much, much worse than mine. She has to use a scooter most of the time. So I went to the funeral home tonight. She sat most of the time in a big comfy chair. She has one of those canes that has a small seat on it that folds up. She calls him Harvey and takes pictures of him doing many things and it makes it seem like he has a life of his own while he is helping her. So she sat in a chair and Harvey was there right beside her. It sure was good to see her and some of the people who go to that church. Granted they are now pretty old, but I'm no spring chicken any more!!! It's supposed to rain tonight so at midnight Charlie and I were trying to fit our garbage bags on top of my wood that was part of our tree trunk. We have them our to dry but the rain would ruin everything we had worked to obtain with the drying process. How long to do they have to be outside before I can safely stain and seal them?

I am not good at remembering how to get around town. I guess it is part of my MS. So this funeral home was way on the other side of town. If Charlie were driving he would have known exactly how to get there. But I took major through ways to get there. I know other ways would have been more efficiant gas wise But I go ways that I know I won't get lost.

See you later girls!!! Joyce, Indiana

• terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    :) Hey Ladies!

I've missed you. Hope to get back to a consistent pop in next month. Take care

Tere in RVA