How to approach a girl at the gym?

Options

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I've been married for over 10 years, so I've been out of the game for a long time. But I think it's hard for people to meet, and there shouldn't be too many rules about where you can talk to a girl. You never know. If you do approach her, keep it simple...introduce yourself. If you can see she's receptive, great. If she's hustling to get out of there, she's not interested.

OMG common sense! Agree. I hate all these "rules". "Well, if she is tilting her head 39.6 degrees to the left and is wearing a teal shirt with off black shorts and it's a Tuesday DO NOT APPROACH." It's not rocket science. If you are not being overly creepy or rude what is the big deal?

There isn't a big deal, unless you consider the fact that we live in a society where if you approach the wrong person and they are having a bad day, or feel it is inappropriate (even if it isn't) they can snap a clandestine photo and eviscerate you on social media to the acclaim of all the misguided blind keyboard warriors who take their idols at face value every time.

Sorry you got turned down that one time.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I can't believe how many people would be upset if someone came and talked to them at the gym... Makes me sad.

Not everyone is about acting as you would in a given situation.

You are right, I can't think of any situation where I would be upset for someone being friendly to me...
  • TSith
    TSith Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how many people would be upset if someone came and talked to them at the gym... Makes me sad.

You also have to understand it from a woman's point of view. The majority of the guys at my gym prey on girls. I wear a baggy cut off and usually sweat pants to the gym and they still look at me like a piece of meat. It's disgusting. It's very rare to have a genuine guy come up to you at the gym. So from experience, no please don't come up to me. Show me you're interested in another way than interrupting me. If you want to get to k ow me and you think I'm worth the wait, then wait until I'm finished. That's all.

I'm not saying the above is true for ALL guys..
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options

If I'm hot and sweaty and looking rough, maybe I don't want hot guy in my space? Come talk after my shower and I don't look like a troll. :blush:
  • Hea1thyGam3r
    Hea1thyGam3r Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I've been married for over 10 years, so I've been out of the game for a long time. But I think it's hard for people to meet, and there shouldn't be too many rules about where you can talk to a girl. You never know. If you do approach her, keep it simple...introduce yourself. If you can see she's receptive, great. If she's hustling to get out of there, she's not interested.

OMG common sense! Agree. I hate all these "rules". "Well, if she is tilting her head 39.6 degrees to the left and is wearing a teal shirt with off black shorts and it's a Tuesday DO NOT APPROACH." It's not rocket science. If you are not being overly creepy or rude what is the big deal?

There isn't a big deal, unless you consider the fact that we live in a society where if you approach the wrong person and they are having a bad day, or feel it is inappropriate (even if it isn't) they can snap a clandestine photo and eviscerate you on social media to the acclaim of all the misguided blind keyboard warriors who take their idols at face value every time.

Sorry you got turned down that one time.

Nice way to judge when you know absolutely nothing about me. :drinker:
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    TSith wrote: »

You also have to understand it from a woman's point of view. The majority of the guys at my gym prey on girls. I wear a baggy cut off and usually sweat pants to the gym and they still look at me like a piece of meat. It's disgusting. It's very rare to have a genuine guy come up to you at the gym. So from experience, no please don't come up to me. Show me you're interested in another way than interrupting me. If you want to get to k ow me and you think I'm worth the wait, then wait until I'm finished. That's all.

It's also always assumed that it's always friendly, or only once in a great while.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Meh, that's a cop out excuse to me. Guys get gawked at as well. Guys get looked at like a piece of meat. Wouldn't keep me from being friendly to someone who approaches me. I don't judge people based on what others do. Sorry.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »

If I'm hot and sweaty and looking rough, maybe I don't want hot guy in my space? Come talk after my shower and I don't look like a troll. :blush:

Yes, but if said guy is interested in you when you look like a troll...doesn't that say something about his genuineness?
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options

You are right, I can't think of any situation where I would be upset for someone being friendly to me...

When we are talking about strangers with unknown backgrounds in a public setting that is for working out and not match making, I think it best to respect the idea, that not everyone is open and forthright as you and many others are in the same or similar setting, especially where ladies are involved.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

Usually very low and quietly from the back. Easier to get the cloth over her mouth.

• shrinkingletters
    Options

Meh, that's a cop out excuse to me. Guys get gawked at as well. Guys get looked at like a piece of meat. Wouldn't keep me from being friendly to someone who approaches me. I don't judge people based on what others do. Sorry.

Well then if you prefer people feel entitled to your time and attention at any given moment of their choosing with complete disregard for your space and level of comfort on the off-chance that they're being genuinely friendly to you, then carry on. That's your prerogative, not anyone else's.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »

Yes, but if said guy is interested in you when you look like a troll...doesn't that say something about his genuineness?

Right?!! If a hot guy came up to me (when I was young and single) and was actually interested in my sweaty, messy self, I'd feel flattered.

Any way, what's the worst that can happen? If she's into him, she'll be happy he talked to her (again, after the workout). If she's not interested, no harm.
  • Hornsby
    Options

When we are talking about strangers with unknown backgrounds in a public setting that is for working out and not match making, I think it best to respect the idea, that not everyone is open and forthright as you and many others are in the same or similar setting, especially where ladies are involved.

Again, I can't think of a single place where I would be "pissed" if someone was just being friendly. If the person didn't want to reciprocate said "friendliness" then I get being pissed, but we are talking about the guy just approaching her and saying hi and people are saying they would be pissed? That's what I don't get.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Well then if you prefer people feel entitled to your time and attention at any given moment of their choosing with complete disregard for your space and level of comfort on the off-chance that they're being genuinely friendly to you, then carry on. That's your prerogative, not anyone else's.

Would you get pissed if someone interrupted your rest time to ask you for help with their form? or a spot?
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »

Usually very low and quietly from the back. Easier to get the cloth over her mouth.
    Not even remotely funny.

Very tacky and in poor taste, in my opinion.
  • shrinkingletters
    Options

Would you get pissed if someone interrupted your rest time to ask you for help with their form? or a spot?

We're not talking about that though, are we? We're talking about the OP's desire to ask a girl out.
  • TSith
    TSith Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Do you boo, do you. Lol I think the consensus of this conversation is some girls like it, some girls don't. So if you go up to a girl in the gym...

May the odds be evahh in yo favahh :)
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »

Not even remotely funny.

Very tacky and in poor taste, in my opinion.

See now, I thought that was flipping hilarious!! Different strokes I guess. LOL!!

• shrinkingletters
    Options
    And honestly, I don't need anyone to feel "sad" because I prefer to be in control of my time and space. If it's so off-putting, be friendly elsewhere, there's obviously people that exist that don't mind.