How to approach a girl at the gym?

Options

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    Wear lots of cologne, make really loud grunts while lifting, and whenever she looks your direction flex your muscles. That's what usually works for me.

How YOU doin?

My eyes are up here Brandy.

I'm sorry, I was taken off guard by the overwhelming scent of Drakar Noir, the rythmic sounds of very loud grunting and the blinding sight of muscles being flexed. :blush:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just go talk to her when she is resting...

If she gets upset over something like that, would you really want her? I know I wouldn't.
  • hannibalholt89
    hannibalholt89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I still think there could be an opportunity to at least say hi and introduce himself at the gym when she's not working out.

[/quote]
    yeah sometimes you just got to plant the seed say hello let her know you notice her and thats it then catch her later
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Hey everyone so the guys know what I'm talking about; you're in the zone working out, lifting, you look around and all of a sudden over by a squat rack, you see this smoking hot girl wearing these high tight gym shorts. You kind of stare but trying to be a creep about it and she stares back at you. This happens multiple times, kind of awkward lol, not speaking to each other just looking at one another. This happens over a few more days because you keep working out at the same time somehow haha. What's the next step?! I mean for some reason I can't find a scenario where I would talk to her, she knows what she's doing so no advice is needed without me being obvious haha. Plus I don't know if women want to be hit on while they're working out doesn't seem like an ideal setting!

My understanding is that while most women generally don't mind having an attractive guy walk up and talk to them, doing it in the gym is probably the least optimal situation. They're often in skimpy (workout) clothing, sweaty, not feeling exactly at their best. They're there to work out. They feel pretty exposed already. Not a great situation.

Better places - coffee shops, bars, grocery stores, college campuses, the list goes on. Lots of places to approach women and chat them up. Nothing works 100%, but there are better and worse situations for this kind of thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, ladies.

Right, but if you only see this woman at the gym, that's the only time to talk to her. Surely you wouldn't want him stalking her to see where she goes after the gym just to find a more optimal place to intruduce himself. :smile: I agree with TSith about taping a note to a protein bar and dropping it in her bag or somewhere near her that she'll find it for a later read.
  • Hea1thyGam3r
    Hea1thyGam3r Posts: 1,356 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've had people interrupt me in the middle of sets. It's the only way to get on my bad side at the gym. Finish early, hang out at the front desk and catch her on the way out/in if you are going to do anything. That said, if you like your gym, don't date people that go there. When things go sour it will ruin your motivation to go if the other person is still going there. :drinker:
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Have you tried smiling at her during the workout? Does she smile back, or immediately look elsewhere? If she smiles back, approach her when she's done. If it's clear that she's trying to avoid you, well, you have your answer.

I've been married for over 10 years, so I've been out of the game for a long time. But I think it's hard for people to meet, and there shouldn't be too many rules about where you can talk to a girl. You never know. If you do approach her, keep it simple...introduce yourself. If you can see she's receptive, great. If she's hustling to get out of there, she's not interested.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Hey everyone so the guys know what I'm talking about; you're in the zone working out, lifting, you look around and all of a sudden over by a squat rack, you see this smoking hot girl wearing these high tight gym shorts. You kind of stare but trying to be a creep about it and she stares back at you. This happens multiple times, kind of awkward lol, not speaking to each other just looking at one another. This happens over a few more days because you keep working out at the same time somehow haha. What's the next step?! I mean for some reason I can't find a scenario where I would talk to her, she knows what she's doing so no advice is needed without me being obvious haha. Plus I don't know if women want to be hit on while they're working out doesn't seem like an ideal setting!

My understanding is that while most women generally don't mind having an attractive guy walk up and talk to them, doing it in the gym is probably the least optimal situation. They're often in skimpy (workout) clothing, sweaty, not feeling exactly at their best. They're there to work out. They feel pretty exposed already. Not a great situation.

Better places - coffee shops, bars, grocery stores, college campuses, the list goes on. Lots of places to approach women and chat them up. Nothing works 100%, but there are better and worse situations for this kind of thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, ladies.

Right, but if you only see this woman at the gym, that's the only time to talk to her. Surely you wouldn't want him stalking her to see where she goes after the gym just to find a more optimal place to intruduce himself. :smile: I agree with TSith about taping a note to a protein bar and dropping it in her bag or somewhere near her that she'll find it for a later read.

This is actually kind of cute, and I *might* get a chuckle out of it, personally. However, don't get all incensed if she doesn't return the interest, no one owes anyone their attention.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    Wear lots of cologne, make really loud grunts while lifting, and whenever she looks your direction flex your muscles. That's what usually works for me.

How YOU doin?

My eyes are up here Brandy.

I'm sorry, I was taken off guard by the overwhelming scent of Drakar Noir, the rythmic sounds of very loud grunting and the blinding sight of muscles being flexed. :blush:

I just hope no other fine feathered bird catches my mating ritual dance and starts pecking at you to get away.

Oh I will throw down and cut someone!! LOL!

• branflakes1980
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Just go talk to her when she is resting...

If she gets upset over something like that, would you really want her? I know I wouldn't.

+1 for logic :drinker:

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Have you tried smiling at her during the workout? Does she smile back, or immediately look elsewhere? If she smiles back, approach her when she's done. If it's clear that she's trying to avoid you, well, you have your answer.

Yes, this! If she doesn't look back and smile don't bother. She either has a boyfriend/husband or just not interested. If she does smile, catch her next time before she's all sweaty and stinky. Good luck! B)
  • Kira_72
    Kira_72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    no.

don't.

no. no. no.

Agreed!
  • BenniBlanc0
    BenniBlanc0 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Don't - just let her train, respect her space, (gym is sacred 'me' time for most people) - if she's interested she'll let you know.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Don't - just let her train, respect her space, (gym is sacred 'me' time for most people) - if she's interested she'll let you know.

<3

Listen to this guy.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Of course you shouldn't interrupt her mid set or even in between sets. However, if she happens to take a break or maybe she goes to get a drink or shake or whatever, just go over, introduce yourself and strike up a conversation. Maybe something like "hey my name is X... you got a good workout routine going... are you new to this gym?" There is no rule of the universe that you are breaking by talking to a woman at a gym. Seems pretty normal to me.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Do not interrupt her workout.

Write a short friendly note letting her know that you have noticed her and think she has been doing a great job with her workouts etc. Attach a single yellow rose (yellow is for friendship) to it, and place it on her windshield. Signed, shy guy. This way, there is no pressure on her. She is free to do what she feels comfortable with, without you confronting her in an awkward situation during workout, or she coming to you and saying thanks but no thanks. One way or another, you will get your answer. And even if you don't get the answer you hoped for, hopefully, she will respect and be flattered that you made a classy move that left her in control and comfortable.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I've been married for over 10 years, so I've been out of the game for a long time. But I think it's hard for people to meet, and there shouldn't be too many rules about where you can talk to a girl. You never know. If you do approach her, keep it simple...introduce yourself. If you can see she's receptive, great. If she's hustling to get out of there, she's not interested.

OMG common sense! Agree. I hate all these "rules". "Well, if she is tilting her head 39.6 degrees to the left and is wearing a teal shirt with off black shorts and it's a Tuesday DO NOT APPROACH." It's not rocket science. If you are not being overly creepy or rude what is the big deal?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how many people would be upset if someone came and talked to them at the gym... Makes me sad.
  • Hea1thyGam3r
    Hea1thyGam3r Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

OMG common sense! Agree. I hate all these "rules". "Well, if she is tilting her head 39.6 degrees to the left and is wearing a teal shirt with off black shorts and it's a Tuesday DO NOT APPROACH." It's not rocket science. If you are not being overly creepy or rude what is the big deal?

There isn't a big deal, unless you consider the fact that we live in a society where if you approach the wrong person and they are having a bad day, or feel it is inappropriate (even if it isn't) they can snap a clandestine photo and eviscerate you on social media to the acclaim of all the misguided blind keyboard warriors who take their idols at face value every time.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I can't believe how many people would be upset if someone came and talked to them at the gym... Makes me sad.

Not everyone is about acting as you would in a given situation.