Walking considered strength training?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You disagreed with the idea that serious runners are usually very lean, which means that they must be usually be something other than very lean. That's what I was wondering about. In your experience, did you find that people who were seriously into running were usually overweight or obese?

Usually very lean = normally or most of the time "very lean." As I said before, to me "very lean" means 20% or less body fat for a woman. I would say that there's no generalizing as in they are "usually" any body type for runners, but in my experience they are more often than not (which is different from "usually") of normal weight. They are not actually most often "very lean."

Elite runners would be.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

I would highly recommend overweight and obese people to walk until they get to a healthy weight before they start running.

wow

well thank you for your professional opinion

i think me and my fat *kitten* will go with the opinions of my medical team, my physio and the trainers at the gym on my running

Hey. I'm obese (well now at the higher end of the overweight range, because I lost over 35 pounds so far from walking/biking/kayaking) and would like to start running again some day, but my doctor agrees that I should probably wait until I get to a healthy weight first to prevent impact injuries. especially at my age (just turned 58).

It was my intent not to insult anyone, but just try to pass along some basic and common sense knowledge.

Maybe "your team" will make some money if you get any impact injuries... :)
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    A serious runner is someone who runs for a living?

Yeah. No. That's a professional runner. An elite runner.

That's not even the definition the poster used who started this whole judgmental mess. I believe she said someone who runs regularly, signs up and runs races is a serious runner. People who do that are serious runners. They are committed to the act of running. Those people come in all shapes, sizes and abilities.

I started running when I was technically obese. I am now what people would probably consider lean. Is that because of running. Not really. It's because I consistently ate at a deficit. Am I a better, more efficient runner now? Yes, but that isn't the topic at hand. I was a serious, committed runner in both cases.

I said "pretty much for a living" meaning every day for hours, 100% dedicated to running. Not "runs for a living' as in professional.

Don't know why you took it the wrong way. Maybe I just suck at wording things.

Your definition is pretty flawed. Most serious runners don't run everyday for hours. Ask any of them. Marathon runners don't run for hours everyday. They follow a training schedule which includes the much needed rest days. So. There.

And the bolded. Probably. However, I think I took it the wrong way though because your comments are chuck full of judgment.

I wont ague that our definition of serious runner are completely different. But to say one is wrong just because it's not yours is wrong.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    A serious runner is someone who runs for a living?

Yeah. No. That's a professional runner. An elite runner.

That's not even the definition the poster used who started this whole judgmental mess. I believe she said someone who runs regularly, signs up and runs races is a serious runner. People who do that are serious runners. They are committed to the act of running. Those people come in all shapes, sizes and abilities.

I started running when I was technically obese. I am now what people would probably consider lean. Is that because of running. Not really. It's because I consistently ate at a deficit. Am I a better, more efficient runner now? Yes, but that isn't the topic at hand. I was a serious, committed runner in both cases.

I said "pretty much for a living" meaning every day for hours, 100% dedicated to running. Not "runs for a living' as in professional.

Don't know why you took it the wrong way. Maybe I just suck at wording things.

Your definition is pretty flawed. Most serious runners don't run everyday for hours. Ask any of them. Marathon runners don't run for hours everyday. They follow a training schedule which includes the much needed rest days. So. There.

And the bolded. Probably. However, I think I took it the wrong way though because your comments are chuck full of judgment.

I wont ague that our definition of serious runner are completely different. But to say one is wrong just because it's not yours is wrong.

You sure love telling people they are wrong.

Enjoy your day.

I never said you were wrong.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Can someone please answer this question? It's got me puzzled.
    jodybo2 wrote: »
    I was just thinking the other day about when my cast was removed from my leg after being enclosed for 2 months. That leg had no muscle definition compared to the other. It looked scrawny, white, and hairy. haha. As soon as I began walking on it, the muscle quickly returned to the normal size. So.... ? Thoughts?

What's the question, exactly?

Well, since you couldn't work it out... :p

If strength exercises improve/build muscle, and walking isn't a strength exercise, how did @jodybo2's wasted leg get back to normal muscle size if she was just walking?

Boomerang effect from "unnatural" depletion.

So yes, if you are completely emaciated, walking can, for a little while, qualify as "strength training".
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

I would highly recommend overweight and obese people to walk until they get to a healthy weight before they start running.

wow

well thank you for your professional opinion

i think me and my fat *kitten* will go with the opinions of my medical team, my physio and the trainers at the gym on my running

Hey. I'm obese (well now at the higher end of the overweight range, because I lost over 35 pounds so far from walking/biking/kayaking) and would like to start running again some day, but my doctor agrees that I should probably wait until I get to a healthy weight first to prevent impact injuries. especially at my age (just turned 58).

It was my intent not to insult anyone, but just try to pass along some basic and common sense knowledge.

Maybe "your team" will make some money if you get any impact injuries... :)

my medical team will make nothing. health care is free in my country and that includes my physio

my team are also more than happy with me losing 168lb so far and arnt expecting me to hit some mythical ideal number to start running

what you call basic and common sense knowledge is frankly absurd and insulting

maybe spend sometime working on your way of interacting with others

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I was just thinking the other day about when my cast was removed from my leg after being enclosed for 2 months. That leg had no muscle definition compared to the other. It looked scrawny, white, and hairy. haha. As soon as I began walking on it, the muscle quickly returned to the normal size. So.... ? Thoughts?

If strength exercises improve/build muscle, and walking isn't a strength exercise, how did @jodybo2's wasted leg get back to normal muscle size if she was just walking?

This is not difficult. Training results are adaptations to the specific training load being applied. The extent of training results depends on the specific demands of the training activity.

There are certain muscular demands to walking or performing any movement (even a cardio movement). If ones current muscle strength is insufficient to comfortably meet the demand, then performing the activity will result in the amount of increased muscle strength necessary to meet the demand of the activity. However once those demands are met, no further adaptation will occur.

A sedentary person starting a cardio activity, or someone starting a new activity will always experience an increase in the muscular "strength" necessary to perform that activity. That is not the same as "strength training". The amount of increase will be modest and will quickly plateau.

Great explanation! Thank you.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

So yes, if you are completely emaciated, walking can, for a little while, qualify as "strength training".

Thanks, old beast!

• catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've been walking over 10 miles on most days for months. I have noticed zero definition in my legs :disappointed:

Can i ask why you walk over 10 miles most days?
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yes I know..its not lifting any considerable weight but it does eventually build muscle in the legs. So should it be considered strength training?

No, but it is a load bearing exercise and helps maintain or increase bone density and prevent osteoporosis. You will gain some strength due to the load bearing (compared to something like a bicycle).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    catwils1 wrote: »
    I've been walking over 10 miles on most days for months. I have noticed zero definition in my legs :disappointed:

It's just what I've gotten used to. 10 miles for me is roughly 25,000 steps.

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    As an aside I would like some advice please.

I walk everywhere as I don't have a car and use the treadmill at the gum. I can't run because of a bad knee.

I'm trying to get my legs stronger before I go into surgery (which could be a zillion years away).

Atm I do half uphill at 3mph at 10-15% and half on the flat at about 4.2mph. Roughly about 20-30 mins each time.

Could this be improved and make my legs stronger?

Do body weight squats and lunges. Also walk up the stairs (2 at a time is great). These are additional ways to build leg strength.
  • catt952
    Options

how long does it take?
  • Christine_72
    Options

how long does it take?

It takes me all day. I usually start at 8am and finish at 5pm. I do 2,000 step blocks every 30-45 minutes or so. I haven't figured out the exact times.

• Christine_72
    Options
    I just went back and had a look at my fitbit numbers

26,431 steps = 12 miles

209 Active minutes
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Thanks, old beast!

I'd smile, but the wrinkles are getting in the way.
  • catt952
    Options
    [/quote]

It takes me all day. I usually start at 8am and finish at 5pm. I do 2,000 step blocks every 30-45 minutes or so. I haven't figured out the exact times.

[/quote]

omg that made me lol xD i thought you meant it akes you all day as in you spend all day on walking :D
  • Christine_72
    Options

[/quote]

omg that made me lol xD i thought you meant it akes you all day as in you spend all day on walking :D[/quote]

Haha I thought It would have come across like that. Sometimes it does feel like all I do all damn day is walking, walking and more walking. But I love seeing the calories go UP in my diary, so it's all worth it.

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you wore a heavy weight vest while walking, if that would make a difference? ?

Researchers say those things don't make any difference at all. I've seen them in the store and they look gimmicky to me.