Cutting carbs and refined sugar

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    My post got lost. Boo. Anyway, in 20 years we'll all be laughing our butts off at this trend. LCHF is the low fat diet of the 80's.

The high carb low fat fad started in the 70's. Before that most people ate lower carbs. I think the current way of eating is more likely a fad (thank you Ancel Keys).

Actually LCHF has been around for 100 + years. Previously known as "Banting." Paste from good ol' Wikipedia:

"Early dietary science[edit]
    In 1797, John Rollo reported on the results of treating two diabetic Army officers with a low-carbohydrate diet and medications. A very low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet was the standard treatment for diabetes throughout the 19th century.[15][16]

In 1863, William Banting, a formerly obese English undertaker and coffin maker, published "Letter on Corpulence Addressed to the Public", in which he described a diet for weight control giving up bread, butter, milk, sugar, beer, and potatoes.[17] His booklet was widely read, so much so that some people used the term "Banting" for the activity usually called "dieting".[18]

In 1888, James Salisbury introduced the Salisbury steak as part of his high-meat diet, which limited vegetables, fruit, starches, and fats to one-third of the diet.[original research?]"

Here's the full link if interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    My post got lost. Boo. Anyway, in 20 years we'll all be laughing our butts off at this trend. LCHF is the low fat diet of the 80's.

The high carb low fat fad started in the 70's. Before that most people ate lower carbs. I think the current way of eating is more likely a fad (thank you Ancel Keys).

Actually LCHF has been around for 100 + years. Previously known as "Banting." Paste from good ol' Wikipedia:

In 1797, John Rollo reported on the results of treating two diabetic Army officers with a low-carbohydrate diet and medications. A very low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet was the standard treatment for diabetes throughout the 19th century.[15][16]

In 1863, William Banting, a formerly obese English undertaker and coffin maker, published "Letter on Corpulence Addressed to the Public", in which he described a diet for weight control giving up bread, butter, milk, sugar, beer, and potatoes.[17] His booklet was widely read, so much so that some people used the term "Banting" for the activity usually called "dieting".[18]

In 1888, James Salisbury introduced the Salisbury steak as part of his high-meat diet, which limited vegetables, fruit, starches, and fats to one-third of the diet.[original research?]"

Someone needs to re-read.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Try Googling Banting.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think it goes back further than Banting. Hippocrates might not have given it a name but this sounds like LCHF to me:

"Hippocrates, in the 5th century BC [1] taught that fat people who want to reduce should take their exercise on an empty stomach and sit down to their food out of breath. Without recovering breath they should, before eating drink some diluted wine, and then meat should be dished up with sesame seeds seasoning. The meat should also be fat as the smallest quantity of this is filling. " --Medical History of Obesity by A. Steward Truswell

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

http://www.leighpeele.com/on-william-bantings-diet-taubes-weight-loss
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Looks like a low calorie diet to me...

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Try Googling Banting.

@nvmomketo mentioned high carb, low fat, and you rebutted with saying that low carb has been around for 100+ years. How does that relate to the high carb, low fat diet @nvmomketo mentioned?
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

uhm... well to reach 95,6 g of total carbs (that is still low carb by all means) he has to pretend that "one ounce of dry toast" means 2 large slices of toasted bread with 29g of carbs, while according to the MFP database 1 oz of "Bread, white, commercially prepared, toasted" has just 15g of carbs.
    And I'm not going to check all the entries...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options