"Toning" is a deception

Options
12345679»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Okay saw this and the broscience is strong.

https://www.rachaelattard.com/slim-muscular-thighs-skinny-legs/

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Broscience and puts women back to 1984 lol
  • ninerbuff
    edited February 2021
    Options
    serapel wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Broscience and puts women back to 1984 lol
    The Miss Olympia back then though was more like Bikini today. Rachel McLish was da bomb back then. I don't think too many would mind this look if you're into fitness. And relaxed she looks normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwMDrJvAGJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qkm4IWtbCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiJbbr0IM5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQbefAVQ6pM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyWcR1fiE_s
    And how she looked a few years ago. Here she speaks of steroids and how it changed women's bodybuiding.

Also back then, fake boobs weren't that prominent. There's hardly any Women's fitness or bikini comp today that you go to that the competitors don't have implants.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Lol, for some reason this appeared on my FB this morning. What's really ironic is she says it works "arms" when the majority of movements directly affect the shoulder and rotator cuff. How in the hell does this woman claim to be a trainer and actually get away with it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nf5VWTKx9g

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Have you seen Rachael Attard? OMG!! She’s another Tracy Anderson!!!
    No, but now you've peaked my interest.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's piqued. You seem quite disturbed that the word tone has been used in reference to a firm body only since about the year 1660 which apparently isn't long enough to make it a correct usage of the word so I'm sure you would like to correct your error.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    Lol, for some reason this appeared on my FB this morning. What's really ironic is she says it works "arms" when the majority of movements directly affect the shoulder and rotator cuff. How in the hell does this woman claim to be a trainer and actually get away with it?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Have you seen Rachael Attard? OMG!! She’s another Tracy Anderson!!!
    No, but now you've peaked my interest.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's piqued. You seem quite disturbed that the word tone has been used in reference to a firm body only since about the year 1660 which apparently isn't long enough to make it a correct usage of the word so I'm sure you would like to correct your error.
    Or that it disturbs me like what a snakeoil salesman does when they try to make a sale. Thing is it's still hasn't stopped with all the falsehoods that the fitness and diet industry does to sell and idea or product. If that doesn't disturb you, then we have a difference of opinion and that's fine. You call it error, I call it being truthful to the consumer/user.
    "Tone" still has no definitive definition although I get what females (and some males) say when they want to try to achieve it. Even in dictionaries, the word "tone" regarding muscle (notice it doesn't relate to a look) doesn't describe muscularity level at all, but the state of a the muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think you’ve provided some helpful information; however, clearly the term does have a meaning. You don’t like the usage but attacking the word itself isn’t the best way to communicate your helpful information. You don’t get to be the arbiter of whether a word exists or has meaning. I work with language all the time in my profession and there are a number of usages I dislike, but they exist and have meaning.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Options
    Merriam Webster defines toning as exercising to improve muscle tone and defines muscle tone as strength, firmness, or tautness of a part of the body, such as muscles. So toning is, by definition, exercise to increase strength.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Merriam Webster defines toning as exercising to improve muscle tone and defines muscle tone as strength, firmness, or tautness of a part of the body, such as muscles. So toning is, by definition, exercise to increase strength.
    Correct. But in Fitness people ask "what are the best exercises for toning?" So in essence according to the definition you use, it's asking "what are the best exercises for exercising to increase strength?" A double application for the word. As well as people asking to look "tone" which has no definition.
    Maybe semantics to you and others, but I'd rather apply correct terminology and inform people of how the fitness industry tries to scam them just to make a few extra bucks. Things like "detox" and "fat burning" are other buzz words used by the fitness industry that try to fool people into buying products.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Whatsthemotive
    Options
    And I thank you for your effort to keep people from being scammed. I agree with you that there are no magic solutions and to look like what most mean when they say toning or toned, the journey requires good nutrition, appropriate calorie intake and exercise, including strength training.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    And I thank you for your effort to keep people from being scammed. I agree with you that there are no magic solutions and to look like what most mean when they say toning or toned, the journey requires good nutrition, appropriate calorie intake and exercise, including strength training.
    Not everyone will agree with my opinions and I know that some will think that I'm debating something trivial, but my perspective on the subject is that "deception" is so common in the fitness and diet industry that hopefully I'm at the very least exposing some of the ploys they've used to snare people who are desperate to lose.
    You'll see a lot of people say they "plateau" in two weeks. Plateaus in weight loss are actually pretty rare because it's defined as 6 weeks of no weight movement IF the person has been doing the same exact routine in that 6 weeks. Well hardly anyone ever does. Somewhere in that 6 weeks there was error somewhere (IE didn't workout, had more calories on one day than normal, worked out harder than usual, etc.) They actually STALLED in weight loss due to the error and stalls are common. But "plateau" gets tossed around all the time because other fitness people use the word incorrectly. I akin it to when someone says "my house got robbed" when in essence it was "burglarized".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • gionrogado
    gionrogado Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    how about "body recomposition" and " lean bulking", how do those work? how do they compare to "toning"? or are those repackaged mumbo jumbo too?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    gionrogado wrote: »
    how about "body recomposition" and " lean bulking", how do those work? how do they compare to "toning"? or are those repackaged mumbo jumbo too?
    Body recomposition is a thing. Lean bulking............maybe if you're on gear.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I cannot stand this woman! I used to have a subscription to Health magazine (ha!), and she'd have monthly workouts. The moves were so complex and complicated, and of course high reps. You were supposed to do the workout everyday. I mean, I dance and can learn choreography, but these moves were too complicated for me.

I didn't know this, but apparently she just up and left a studio in Indiana to become this "big celebrity trainer," and all these people had already paid for her classes. I don't know if they ever got their money back.