All pills are not snake oil

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I would like more logice, please. Perhaps a Venn Diagram of snake oil?

Snake_oil.png

Interesting that green tea is high on the "legit" scale...for cholesterol. I wonder in what doses and quantities it's useful for that at. Probably not at any doses that could be found over the counter or in a few glasses of tea daily. I'll have to do some researching on that.

Also very interesting, but completely unsurprising, is that "weight loss/control" doesn't come a single time in that infograph. Hmm, imagine that.

I mentioned this in another post, but I recently became aware of an adverse event where an office could not stop patient bleeding after injection with a 26ga needle (a very small one). The patient was on an undisclosed "Green Tea regimen and drinking several cups a day - she had effectively removed her clotting factors.

Yikes that must have been some megadoses of green tea. I didn't even know it could have anticoagulant properties, jeez.

That's also a good cautionary tale to tell your Dr about ALL supplements and meds you take-even the "natural" ones.

I've learned to ask several questions:

Are you taking any prescribed medications?

Are you self medicating?

Are you taking any supplements, vitamins, alternative/natural/organic medications?

Are you on any diets plans?

Amazing how many people don't count supplements as medicine.

Many discount OTC meds as well. Scary considering how much damage can be done with acetaminophen and ibuprofen.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    smantha32 wrote: »

So if a new member comes here and posts "hey, guys, I'm new to the boards, looking for some support on this journey. I've had some success with xyz but it made me to jittery. My friend recommended abc and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it"

You think saying "there are no magic pills" is better than actually having a discussion about abc? And you think being sarcastic and condescending towards new posters is a good style for people here to learn? If you do, fine we disagree. If you don't then why are you arguing with me? I didn't ask for a supplement lesson.

How is saying "abc doesn't work, save your money", condescending?

If they followed your method, they'd be upset by being told abc doesn't work, you can lose weight for free just by eating at a deficit.

Plus, we have had these conversations so, so many times. Would it also be condescending to tell the OP to just use the search function? Can guarantee that none of our opinions on the several hundred threads about it would have changed!

I don't think there's in conversation in here that hasn't been had. But you're dammed if you do damned if you don't unless you're posting a "how hot is the person above you" thread apparently. If you post on an old topic they're like "we had this conversation already look it up" but if you do that and comment they're like "why are you reopening this old thread" smh apparently the boards have to go only the exact way certain people say.

I take solace in all the private messages from people, which I just discovered you can get today, who agree with me and have been put off by the bullying and negative attitudes. "Cico cult" as someone called it, that's a new one but made me laugh. But wouldn't encourage them to post their concerns publicly they know they'll just be called obese snake oil salesman or made up friends. It's okay though. People are more comfortable around like minded people and it's easier to push away people who disagree than to be accepting of differences so i can't expect better from such a large group.

There isn't a CICO cult. CICO is a mathematical equation that all bodies abide by. But what many of us understand, that science suggest that most pills are absolutely worthless. If you actually posted a thread regarding specific supplements or provided any type of scientific proof, this thread would be much different.

Oh there's totally a cult. Didn't you get the group text? We're doing a ceremony at midnight tonight under the light of the moon. Bring cookies.

Don't forget the goat.

I was thinking of a different sacrificial animal.

Lamb? Virgin? Marshmallow Peep?

Tastes like chicken!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Snake_oil.png

Interesting that green tea is high on the "legit" scale...for cholesterol. I wonder in what doses and quantities it's useful for that at. Probably not at any doses that could be found over the counter or in a few glasses of tea daily. I'll have to do some researching on that.

Also very interesting, but completely unsurprising, is that "weight loss/control" doesn't come a single time in that infograph. Hmm, imagine that.

I mentioned this in another post, but I recently became aware of an adverse event where an office could not stop patient bleeding after injection with a 26ga needle (a very small one). The patient was on an undisclosed "Green Tea regimen and drinking several cups a day - she had effectively removed her clotting factors.

Yikes that must have been some megadoses of green tea. I didn't even know it could have anticoagulant properties, jeez.

That's also a good cautionary tale to tell your Dr about ALL supplements and meds you take-even the "natural" ones.

Are you self medicating?

Are you taking any supplements, vitamins, alternative/natural/organic medications?

Many discount OTC meds as well. Scary considering how much damage can be done with acetaminophen and ibuprofen.

The fda just decreased the amount of acetaminophen that a person should injest daily also.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

So if a new member comes here and posts "hey, guys, I'm new to the boards, looking for some support on this journey. I've had some success with xyz but it made me to jittery. My friend recommended abc and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it"

You think saying "there are no magic pills" is better than actually having a discussion about abc? And you think being sarcastic and condescending towards new posters is a good style for people here to learn? If you do, fine we disagree. If you don't then why are you arguing with me? I didn't ask for a supplement lesson.

If they followed your method, they'd be upset by being told abc doesn't work, you can lose weight for free just by eating at a deficit.

Plus, we have had these conversations so, so many times. Would it also be condescending to tell the OP to just use the search function? Can guarantee that none of our opinions on the several hundred threads about it would have changed!

I don't think there's in conversation in here that hasn't been had. But you're dammed if you do damned if you don't unless you're posting a "how hot is the person above you" thread apparently. If you post on an old topic they're like "we had this conversation already look it up" but if you do that and comment they're like "why are you reopening this old thread" smh apparently the boards have to go only the exact way certain people say.

I take solace in all the private messages from people, which I just discovered you can get today, who agree with me and have been put off by the bullying and negative attitudes. "Cico cult" as someone called it, that's a new one but made me laugh. But wouldn't encourage them to post their concerns publicly they know they'll just be called obese snake oil salesman or made up friends. It's okay though. People are more comfortable around like minded people and it's easier to push away people who disagree than to be accepting of differences so i can't expect better from such a large group.

There isn't a CICO cult. CICO is a mathematical equation that all bodies abide by. But what many of us understand, that science suggest that most pills are absolutely worthless. If you actually posted a thread regarding specific supplements or provided any type of scientific proof, this thread would be much different.

Oh there's totally a cult. Didn't you get the group text? We're doing a ceremony at midnight tonight under the light of the moon. Bring cookies.

Don't forget the goat.

peeps-consumed-2.jpg

All cico cult members , we meet at midnight tonight. Bring peeps And chocolate we can eat at a deficit and lose weight. :wink:

So no sacrifice?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Don't forget the goat.

peeps-consumed-2.jpg

Um, why is the chocolate on the grill? That's going to get messy...

This. Clearly that person has never made Peep S'mores.

Never fear cult members. I shall be your guide to the magic of roasted sugary marshmallow goodness...
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have a background and education in pharmacy. I've seen some bad things happen from some supposedly harmless supplements. Also read some even scarier things about the shocking lack of real regulation in the supplement industry. I should try to dig up some stuff later when I'm not super busy and avoiding work :|

This. Some of those unregulated weight-loss supplements are hormone analogs or pre-cursors that can screw up your metabolism pretty badly (especially if they contain a steroid ring-structure).

Some of them are essentially metamucil. Fiber that fills up your stomach and makes you feel full so you eat less. You can get the same effect by just buying high-fiber foods, or a pill labeled as fiber, for less expense.

I'd like to point out that even prescription weight loss meds are not necessarily safe. Some of them have been implicated in pulmonary fibrosis, a condition which is deadly and has no cure other than a lung transplant.

Frankly I think for most people the health risks of staying fat are less than the health risks of the pills. Unless I were a candidate for stomach stapling (which means you have at least 2 serious medical conditions as a result of your weight), I would not take the risk of trying weight loss pills.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    "All pills are not snake oil." That's the title of this thread. Did anyone else have to take a basic logic course in college? Because if "all pills are not snake oil" is true, then we can reason that there are no pills that are snake oil. Except that the OP seems to think that there are pills that are snake oil; she just believes that they're the kind prescribed by doctors and supplements are safe and okay. And now I'm confused and thinking that this thread is headed into very dangerous advice territory.
    2zqu0i0.jpg

No logic, please. smh

Oh, I love you! (for the gif)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

Don't forget the goat.

peeps-consumed-2.jpg

All cico cult members , we meet at midnight tonight. Bring peeps And chocolate we can eat at a deficit and lose weight. :wink:

So no sacrifice?

You will have to come in order to see our sacrifice. I hear it could be a roasted frog , but I'm unsure. Just come and see , but don't forget to bring the chocolate . ( we will eat it in moderation and preach our cico lifestyle to one another )
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »

Snake_oil.png

Are you self medicating?

The fda just decreased the amount of acetaminophen that a person should injest daily also.

I tried a search for that information, but it is showing a drop to 4000mg/day as the cap changed in 2014. Has there been something more recent?

I had a diabetic patient shut down her kidneys staying within the suggested limits on ibuprofen.

I personally had lowered kidney function due to NSAID use at a lower than acceptable limit, but over a four month time period. My doc didn't even want to test it, but I was persistence.

Many people think that as long as they stay within the daily limit it's fine, but don't consider other sources of the drug, or forget that there is also a limit on the number of consecutive days for which it should be taken.
  • Lleldiranne
    Options
    Also, didn't the OP use some vague example of someone asking a question vaguely related to a medication for liver disease being told "everything is just snake oil" or "there's no magic pill"?

Because now OP is trashing medically proven pills, especially sedatives and mood stabilizers and the like. Because reasons.

I still don't think I'm as confused as OP, though.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

Don't forget the goat.

peeps-consumed-2.jpg

Can I be a junior member? I'm not around much, but I can bring Skittles. Good for repelling tigers and bears (and maybe lions, oh my), and I suspect a potential step down from the PeepCleanse.

If you could bring any candy to repelled frogs , your in. I just think they are creepy.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

Don't forget the goat.

peeps-consumed-2.jpg

I've got the beer!

Ok sounds good. Don't forget the chocolate and it'll be a great time !
  • Lleldiranne
    Options

Don't forget the goat.

peeps-consumed-2.jpg

So no sacrifice?

You will have to come in order to see our sacrifice. I hear it could be a roasted frog , but I'm unsure. Just come and see , but don't forget to bring the chocolate . ( we will eat it in moderation and preach our cico lifestyle to one another )

Maybe I'm not active enough, but I didn't get an invitation. If I knew where to come, I'd bring the diet Coke.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

[/quote]You can be disturbed if you want to. The number of prescription meds my brother was given for lupus and the damage it caused is even more disturbing. So is the accident my friend got in when she didn't know she was driving while on ambien. And so is the fact that people think if it's prescribed it's automatically ok. Michael Jackson thought the same thing.[/quote]

This is the thing. The prescription drugs that your brother took were prescribed by a Dr. and were regulated. They had to do frequent blood tests and make sure that they adjusted if there were adverse side effects. When you get a prescription you get information warning you of the side effects. I don't think people think they are "automatically ok".

These diet supplements are NOT regulated. Who knows what in them , besides some of the drugs taken off the market because the FDA said they are not safe! When you take these supplements you are putting your body at risk. There is no 6 month blood test to make sure you are not doing damage to your liver, kidneys, etc.

And how do you not know you are driving while on Ambien? or How do you not know you are on Ambien when you are driving?

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Don't forget the goat.

peeps-consumed-2.jpg

Um, why is the chocolate on the grill? That's going to get messy...

This. Clearly that person has never made Peep S'mores.

Never fear cult members. I shall be your guide to the magic of roasted sugary marshmallow goodness...

Bringing graham crackers, slightly used.
    d58fc93514b98c72cb305eadd7f4eb5d.jpg
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Don't forget the goat.

peeps-consumed-2.jpg

I've got the beer!

Ok sounds good. Don't forget the chocolate and it'll be a great time !

What about chocolate beer?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    This thread rocks!

Finally.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    @Liftng4Lis i feel like you should be here right now. Something isnt the same without you!
    PS were roasting frog tonight :wink: and having beer and chocolate at our cult meeting
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Chocolate beer peeps crackers and skittles, sounds great ! Keep em coming!
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

Don't forget the goat.

peeps-consumed-2.jpg

So no sacrifice?

Maybe I'm not active enough, but I didn't get an invitation. If I knew where to come, I'd bring the diet Coke.

Bring the coke ! Lol
This discussion has been closed.