Now That I Can Eat...Always Hungry

Options

Replies

• jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The calorie calculators are just a starting point. Each day I plug my numbers into a spreadsheet which I have been keeping up with for well over a year now. I average out my calories over a month's span and as long as my average is under 1900, I lose. If you begin a new exercise routine or even eat a bit too much salt it can make the scale rise because of water retention. It does not mean that you have gained any fat. These fluctuations used to drive me crazy because I would eat well all week and then suddenly "gain" 2 or 3 pounds. Then again sometimes I would party all weekend consuming 2000-3000 calories and the scale never moved. The spreadsheet helps me to keep up with the fluctuations and sometimes I never know what causes them but it helps me see the overall trends.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    jodybo2 wrote: »
    The calorie calculators are just a starting point. Each day I plug my numbers into a spreadsheet which I have been keeping up with for well over a year now. I average out my calories over a month's span and as long as my average is under 1900, I lose. If you begin a new exercise routine or even eat a bit too much salt it can make the scale rise because of water retention. It does not mean that you have gained any fat. These fluctuations used to drive me crazy because I would eat well all week and then suddenly "gain" 2 or 3 pounds. Then again sometimes I would party all weekend consuming 2000-3000 calories and the scale never moved. The spreadsheet helps me to keep up with the fluctuations and sometimes I never know what causes them but it helps me see the overall trends.

I have a spreadsheet too! I'm a statistics nerd, lol
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options

I'm 5'2" 121. Still losing slowly. I average about 1700 total calories a day. I would eat someone's face off if I was only allowed 1370. I started using the TDEE method since I wasn't losing eating back all the exercise calories mfp was giving me. During the process I learned that my maintenance calories were around 1900. I have a very sedentary job and don't do much cardio at all. Lifting heavy makes me super hungry but I absolutely love the results! That calculator you used gave me 1468 TDEE. No way is that right for me!

So...we can't trust exercise burn calculations or calorie calculators?! Ughhh...so frustrating!

How do you know you can't eat more than 1370 without gaining weight?
    Maybe your maintenance calories/TDEE is 1500 or maybe 1600.
    Initially, i thought my TDEE was 1900, then i started eating around 2000-2100 cals (just to test it out). Still stayed the same weight.
    Try this calculator and see what it gives you.....out of interest.
    http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options

I'm 5'2" 121. Still losing slowly. I average about 1700 total calories a day. I would eat someone's face off if I was only allowed 1370. I started using the TDEE method since I wasn't losing eating back all the exercise calories mfp was giving me. During the process I learned that my maintenance calories were around 1900. I have a very sedentary job and don't do much cardio at all. Lifting heavy makes me super hungry but I absolutely love the results! That calculator you used gave me 1468 TDEE. No way is that right for me!

So...we can't trust exercise burn calculations or calorie calculators?! Ughhh...so frustrating!

Initially, i thought my TDEE was 1900, then i started eating around 2000-2100 cals (just to test it out). Still stayed the same weight.

Technically I don't know... but I'm afdriad to find out. I reallydon't want to gain back what I worked so hard to lose.
    Last night i indulged (a bit) but that's not something I plan to keep up... other than the rare occassion...

I looked at that link you posted... it was too confusing for me! I saw it and thought "yikes!" Sorry!
    But thank you!
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited August 2015
    Options

Technically I don't know... but I'm afdriad to find out. I reallydon't want to gain back what I worked so hard to lose.
    Last night i indulged (a bit) but that's not something I plan to keep up... other than the rare occassion...

I looked at that link you posted... it was too confusing for me! I saw it and thought "yikes!" Sorry!
    But thank you!

Oh wait, I just looked at it again... if I did it correctly... it says my maintenance calories are..... ready for this?
    1317.... each calculator I try has me eating less and less.... I need to stop! I'm just depressing myself all over again!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

But thank you!

Oh wait, I just looked at it again... if I did it correctly... it says my maintenance calories are..... ready for this?
    1317.... each calculator I try has me eating less and less.... I need to stop! I'm just depressing myself all over again!

Oh no! That IS with some exercise yes?
    The thing is, you shouldn't be afraid to gain a pound or so.....especially if it's to find out what your true TDEE is.
    I wouldn't think you would gain that much anyway, jumping from 1370 to 1500.
    I would've been p'eed off if i was eating 1900 only to fnd out waaay down the line that i could in fact eat 2100.
    If it were me, i'd take the leap and try 1500 and see what happens for a few weeks.
    You may just be surprised!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options

But thank you!

Oh no! That IS with some exercise yes?
    The thing is, you shouldn't be afraid to gain a pound or so.....especially if it's to find out what your true TDEE is.
    I wouldn't think you would gain that much anyway, jumping from 1370 to 1500.
    I would've been p'eed off if i was eating 1900 only to fnd out waaay down the line that i could in fact eat 2100.
    If it were me, i'd take the leap and try 1500 and see what happens for a few weeks.
    You may just be surprised!

Oops forgot about the exercise... Okay I did it wrong... Thank goodness...for once im happy to be wrong! LOL Told you I found it confusing! I don't have time now...so l'll try again later.
    And what your saying about going from 1370 to 1500 sounds grea, makes srns in theory but the practice of it scares me!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I am 4' 10.5 " and 30 years older than you and have discovered that being hungry for me is partly ( and sometimes a BIG part) psychological, which means that I get " hungry " just because I can have more calories.
    A more important point for me is; and I have known this for 25-30 years, that if I eat simple carbs, I usually get hungry. So I avoid them and since because of height and age within a deficit that allows me a .5 pounds loss a week, I only eat 1200 calories, I eat 95% complex carbs of the carbs I eat. I only eat two large meals a day and no snacks ( personal preference and the fact that I am from a no-snack culture ) and am never hungry....at least not so hungry that I have to eat. Feeling hungry before a meal imo is how it is supposed to be.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 which has a strap I attach around my chest during workouts. It communicates my heart rate to my polar watch which I wear on my wrist (input all your basic user information into the watch when you get it). It constantly tells me my heart rate, number of calories burned and a time counter for each workout session. It's counting calories burned no matter what I'm doing whether it's cardio or lifting weights. It cost my $89 from Academy but I'm sure it can purchased just about anywhere. No more guessing on calorie burns for any workout or using MFP's overly exaggerated calorie burn for activities.

And surprise - it ain't as accurate as you think.

The cheap Polars make some assumptions based on your BMI (weight/height) to figure fitness level (gender/age) to decide a key stat - VO2max.
    It then calculates another key stat - HRmax by 220-age.

Sadly both of those are huge assumptions. Women especially have more chance of being more than 10 bpm from that HRmax then in that range.

Which is why even with nicer Polar's using self-test and available stats, and even with lab entered stats, accuracy can be off by decent amount. Is 30% inflated as much as database entries? How would one know?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

And just FYI.

The formulas that even get a calorie burn from HR are ONLY valid for steady-state aerobic exercise zone, that's the only time your heart beating supplying more oxygen has any bearing on calories being burned.

If lifting is done right, along with intervals, it's opposite of steady-state same HR 2-4 minutes - and anaerobic.
    Totally wrong usage of HRM.

So no - while it may be applying the formula to the wrong workout - it's giving inflated calorie burn for lifting.

Better to manually log as Strength Training or Circuit Training depending on what you are doing. May seem like little calorie burn compared to cardio - but that is true.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My suggestion for always feeling hungry is upping vegetables maybe with "I cant believe its not butter spray" or some low/no calorie flavor spray. There are a lot of veggies that burn more calories to digest than they actually contain. "Carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, iceburg lettuce, leafy greens, grapefruit, watermelon", you can add the veggies to broths and make a healthy lunch or dinner side. Any fruit or veggie that is 50 - 60% or more water is usually less calories than what is it is to metabolize it because of all the fiber. Add these to your snacks to feel full throughout the day and you have the added benefits of vitamins. If you still feel hungry reduce your carbs from breads and pastas and add more lean protien. Good luck I hope this helps.
  • heybales
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hi OP: you mentioned a few times that you do only a little bit of cardio (though it could well be extremely intense cardio; I am saying a little bit in terms of total amount of time per week) and you are concerned about eating back the exercise calories.

A basic fitbit zip costs $59. For most people fitbit's TDEE calculation is not overstated.

If it is overstated it tends to be an overstatement of well under 10% and is often evidence of thermogenic adaptation which you may want to try to counteract anyway.

If you use a fitbit and enable negative adjustments (as per the MFP Fitbit group's FAQ written by @heybales ), you can then eat as per the fitbit suggestions with less concern about your exercise burns...

@PAV8888 Really? Hmmm.... I just have always heard that calorie trackers aren't accurate...
    And I generally average about 30mins on the elliptical 3-4xs a week. 30mins for me on the elliptical = approximately 300cals. But since I don't have the option to plug in my data: age and weight... I don't trust it.
    The treadmill at my gym, which I can plug my data into, has me burning only about 100 calories for the same amount of time going about the same speed! Does the elliptical burn more?

I was just looking at the zip on Amazon...sounds good! Do you actually have one?

They are pretty good accuracy for the other 23 hours of the day.

Your maybe 1 hr of exercise could vary. But what % of time is that in your week, and what % of weekly calorie burn is that anyway?
    And if it's 50% off for that 1 hr - what total difference does that make now to the week?

Probably not much. Probably got more inaccuracies somewhere else.

But it is best to manually log some exercise, depending on what type of device you got.

Strength training should be manual on either step-based or HR-based devices, it's better accuracy.

The devices actually usually underestimate daily calorie burn by some amount.
    The assign sleeping level BMR calorie burn to all non-moving time.
    But when awake you actually burn slightly more - RMR.
    When standing not moving you burn even more.
    When digesting processing food you burn more - about 10% of calories eaten.

All that is unaccounted for.
    Moving time is based on pace and mass - derived from steps and stride length seen - so accuracy there could be effected.

For the treadmill - only the weight is used for calorie burn calc, age is used for setting the HR zones in case you use the HRM. Pace and weight is all you need for really good calc. It's what Fitbit uses too.

Elliptical only needs weight too - but, there are no good elliptical formula's like there are walking/running - which is the vast majority of testing in lab research so very good formulas there.

So some of the ellipticals look at watts expended and assume a certain % of efficiency and base calorie burn on that - which isn't bad. Biking does the same thing with watt meters.
    But elliptical has so many variables and very different ways of actually using your body to do it, can be thrown off easily.

So you can't relate speed between those machines.
    Easiest would be get calorie burn from Treadmill doing a pace that causes the same HR you get on the elliptical.
    That's exactly what a HRM would do for you anyway.

The step-based counters aren't accurate on ellipticals either for that exact same reason. If it even sees all the steps (impact could be low enough it doesn't), the distance it derives from softer impact will be all off, and calories based on that completely wrong.
    In theory you could find the elliptical settings that caused the exact same distance and burn as treadmill - but that's a lot of work. Besides, the softer nature usually lets you do it harder than treadmill for better workout without the hard impacts.
  • heybales
    Options
    Just for fun I calculated my TDEE w/ the following stats:
    Female
    5'1"
    107lbs
    Sedentary (because I have an office job)
    Workouts per week: 4 x 30mins

Guess what it told me? 1350 are my maintenance calories.
    TDEE gives me LESS than MFP! MFP doesn't even include exercise and it still says I can eat more! WTH?!

But you aren't sedentary if working out 2 hrs weekly.

That is clearly Lightly Active.

Be honest with yourself.

And that site has been found by many that know their TDEE's based on weight loss amounts - to be underestimated, by decent amount sometimes.

Might try this for better estimate, which includes questions about daily life, and what the workouts actually are.
    2 hrs walking doesn't match 2 hrs running and 2 hrs lifting.

Just TDEE please, better than 5 level TDEE charts.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited August 2015
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Female
    5'1"
    107lbs

TDEE gives me LESS than MFP! MFP doesn't even include exercise and it still says I can eat more! WTH?!

Be honest with yourself.

And that site has been found by many that know their TDEE's based on weight loss amounts - to be underestimated, by decent amount sometimes.

Might try this for better estimate, which includes questions about daily life, and what the workouts actually are.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

@heybales ...
    I did sedentary because of my office job.
    Thinking that my exercise data wouldn't count until I got to the part about exercise; where you enter those stats.
    So I wasn't being dishonest just going by how I thought I was supposed to enter it.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was fine on 1200...some days I didn't even eat that much because I simply wasn't hungry... just ate at least the 1,000 required by MFP not to get yelled at.
    It's amazing what you get used to (which is why I said I'm sure I'll get used to it)!
    I eventually made it up somewhere along the way...
    BTW - for my height, age, and weight, many online calorie calculators suggested I eat less than 1200 when I was losing weight...
    They even have sites that give you meal plans for 1,000 calorie days.
    So it's not unheard of
    only MFP said I had to eat at least 1200.
    So again it is possible although not ideal...

Besides I I don't even mind not eating that much... Food isn't that important to me.
    I just want to go back to way it used to be when I would not be hungry.

And again I DO EXERCISE... what you're not understanding is it doesn't make a difference as far as calorie intake goes because I don't trust exercise calories so I will not eat them back...

Since I'm little I don't burn that many calories when I exercise... so for me... if I exercise and burn let's say 150 calories... cutting that in half I only get 75 calories extra... seriously not that much of a difference.

I've been in maintenance for 6 weeks now. I find if I hit my protein and snack between each meal and before bed I stayed fueled all day. I'm 5'8" at 128-130 with 1880 calories. I DO eat back some of my exercise calories (didn't until I got a Fitbit) and I find my body really needs them most days. However yesterday I had a lot leftover and was fine.

Are you watching your macros? I can't remember if you mentioned that or not. I eat carbs but also lots of protein...at every meal/snack. Some days I feel ravenous and I figure it's just hormones so I let loose a little...meaning I listen to my body! I pre log most of my days in advance so if I'm still legitimately hungry after a snack and it's not meal time yet then I grab a few almonds, or small Apple, more Greek yogurt etc etc...

ETA: as you get more fit your maintenance calories might slightly increase as well.
  • christineja
    christineja Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wait, not to hijack, but this: But you aren't sedentary if working out 2 hrs weekly.

Be honest with yourself.
    from heybales--I thought exercise level was based on your entire day, not on your exercise. No? I'm sedentary except when I'm exercising, but that's only 1 hr of my day, the rest of which is pretty lazy. But heybales, I should change to 'lightly active' ?

But on the subject, I was hangry on what MFP gave me too so I do a lot of cardio to get extra calories, which I do eat.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    bmchenry02 wrote: »
    I was fine on 1200...some days I didn't even eat that much because I simply wasn't hungry... just ate at least the 1,000 required by MFP not to get yelled at.
    It's amazing what you get used to (which is why I said I'm sure I'll get used to it)!
    I eventually made it up somewhere along the way...
    BTW - for my height, age, and weight, many online calorie calculators suggested I eat less than 1200 when I was losing weight...
    They even have sites that give you meal plans for 1,000 calorie days.
    So it's not unheard of
    only MFP said I had to eat at least 1200.
    So again it is possible although not ideal...

Besides I I don't even mind not eating that much... Food isn't that important to me.
    I just want to go back to way it used to be when I would not be hungry.

And again I DO EXERCISE... what you're not understanding is it doesn't make a difference as far as calorie intake goes because I don't trust exercise calories so I will not eat them back...

Since I'm little I don't burn that many calories when I exercise... so for me... if I exercise and burn let's say 150 calories... cutting that in half I only get 75 calories extra... seriously not that much of a difference.

I've been in maintenance for 6 weeks now. I find if I hit my protein and snack between each meal and before bed I stayed fueled all day. I'm 5'8" at 128-130 with 1880 calories. I DO eat back some of my exercise calories (didn't until I got a Fitbit) and I find my body really needs them most days. However yesterday I had a lot leftover and was fine.

Are you watching your macros? I can't remember if you mentioned that or not. I eat carbs but also lots of protein...at every meal/snack. Some days I feel ravenous and I figure it's just hormones so I let loose a little...meaning I listen to my body! I pre log most of my days in advance so if I'm still legitimately hungry after a snack and it's not meal time yet then I grab a few almonds, or small Apple, more Greek yogurt etc etc...

ETA: as you get more fit your maintenance calories might slightly increase as well.

@bmchenry02
    Yes. Because I met my goal weight my new challenge, to keep myself motivated since I won't see the scale going down, is meeting my macros.
    And I also pre-log all my food...
    And when I'm not hungry I also don't always eat everything I logged. That's partly why I was so successful in losing weight...
    Maintanence is a new challenge...
  • heybales
    Options
    Wait, not to hijack, but this: But you aren't sedentary if working out 2 hrs weekly.

Be honest with yourself.
    from heybales--I thought exercise level was based on your entire day, not on your exercise. No? I'm sedentary except when I'm exercising, but that's only 1 hr of my day, the rest of which is pretty lazy. But heybales, I should change to 'lightly active' ?

But on the subject, I was hangry on what MFP gave me too so I do a lot of cardio to get extra calories, which I do eat.

That's the problem with the majority of those 5 level TDEE charts - they only talk about exercise - not even increased daily life.

A mailman that gets in 3 x 45 min lifting session would be Lightly Active going by just exercise description.
    Obviously not.

And sedentary desk job isn't even the whole story.
    If you got that with 45 hrs week including commute, no kids or pets that has you more active in evenings/weekends - then ya, sedentary.

Folks with activity trackers always seem to discover they are more active than they thought just from more movement at home in evenings. Lightly Active usually using MFP levels.
    Tack on exercise time - and level just went up again to Moderate using those other TDEE charts.
    If a already 3-5 hrs of exercise - then higher yet!

That's why I put link for that spreadsheet above, incorporates MFP's levels for the non-exercise part of your day which is all they talk about.
    With exercise burn based on your metabolism for that part of your day.

Both based on weekly average. None of those sites I've seen try to look at each day, except MFP because you log exercise when actually done. They average the weekly activity back out to daily level.

You may have selected too extreme a weight loss goal too.

And be aware that you are talking about MFP levels - which have NO exercise included, just daily life, until you do the exercise as you commented.

The above was talking about the weekly average TDEE charts - which is concept of including planned exercise and then averaging back out to a single daily eating goal.

Your MFP way is motivating to do more so you can eat more - still have the same deficit daily.
    The TDEE way is motivating to do your planned workout - or you won't really be getting deficit that day.
  • heybales
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Female
    5'1"
    107lbs

Be honest with yourself.

@heybales ...
    I did sedentary because of my office job.
    Thinking that my exercise data wouldn't count until I got to the part about exercise; where you enter those stats.
    So I wasn't being dishonest just going by how I thought I was supposed to enter it.

Ok, sounded like you skipped that at first, which your post while I was doing mine confirmed you did miss it.

You got kids at home though? Daily life isn't just the 8 hrs at work. There's another 8 in there besides sleep too. 1 may be exercise, is the other 7 bump on a log or active doing stuff?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Basically what my title says....
    I'm at maintenance, new to it...just started a few days ago, and now that I can eat more I'm always hungry!
    The sad thing is my maintenance calories aren't much more than my deficit calories since I'm only 5'1" 107ish pounds.
    (deficit = 1200 maintenance= 1370 per MFP)

Anyway...anyone else experiencing this?
    If you aren't now but have before, how long did it take for it to go away?

I'm still staying w/in my calories/slightly below so weight gain is not really a concern (I worked way too hard to go back!) but the hunger is driving me crazy! Ugh!

TIA for your responses!

it's hormones...your hunger ques are derived from hormonal responses...when you diet, your hormones actually regulate your appetite down...this is why anorexics can easily and correctly state that they're only eating 500 calories but aren't hungry...they're probably not.

when you start upping your calorie intake again, these same hormones adjust your appetite up.

it's a primitive feast or famine hormonal response.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    @christineja oops I think I should have actually quoted/tagged you in my above responses. If you wish to add more advice based on my answers than I'd love to hear it. But if not, no worries.