• AlexisUPenn
    AlexisUPenn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ignorance at its finest.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Harvard School of Public Health and lead author of the study, said in an interview, “What you eat makes quite a difference. Just counting calories won’t matter much unless you look at the kinds of calories you’re eating.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?_r=0&referrer=

Study:
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1014296?query=TOC#results

Sighs. None of those links said what you said they said. Of course, of course.

None of those links said that calorie counting doesn't work. One said people aren't generally good at it. That isn't because carbs make you fat. It's because a lot of people lack commitment. I don't.

The second link showed a correlation, not a causation between certain types of food over a span of time and weight gain or loss. Foods which are carbs are on either side of that equation.

Sad.

When did I say calorie counting doesn't work? I didn't say that. What the calories are composed of does play a role. It's not as simple as calories in vs cals out.
    What do you mean "the calories are composed of"? Are you talking about macro allocations or are you talking about something like getting carbs from Lucky Charms rather than brown rice?

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    I didn't say you couldn't eat carbs... Wow
    You said "excess" carbs. I eat 400g a day. Is that "excess"? What is "excess" carbs?

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You said "excess" carbs. I eat 400g a day. Is that "excess"? What is "excess" carbs?

That's 1600 calories. For a substantial, active dude, might be 50% of intake on a TDEE of 3200. I'd be hard pressed to find a non-medical-issue scenario where 50% from carbs is "excess".
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

That's 1600 calories. For a substantial, active dude, might be 50% of intake on a TDEE of 3200. I'd be hard pressed to find a non-medical-issue scenario where 50% from carbs is "excess".
    Then what is the "excess" level of carbs at which they start hindering weight loss?

• AlexisUPenn
    AlexisUPenn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Excessive carbs from processed/refined sources. What is excessive depends on the individual person as each of us has a unique metabolic rate that changes with time. Some people can tolerate x amount. While others would gain with that same amount.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Excessive carbs from processed/refined sources. What is excessive depends on the individual person as each of us has a unique metabolic rate that changes with time. Some people can tolerate x amount. While others would gain with that same amount.
    Gain in a caloric deficit?

Tell me, how does my body know, or care, from a weight loss perspective that this batch of carbs came from Lucky Charms and not brown rice or steel-cut oats?

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Then what is the "excess" level of carbs at which they start hindering weight loss?

When they prevent someone from meeting the upper end of protein requirements without exceeding their deficit target, on one end. When they don't provide enough fuel to maintain the desired activity level at the other end.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Not in a deficit, they wouldn't.
This discussion has been closed.