CALORIE QUALITY

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The whole "calories in- calories out" works is old school thinking. There have been a multitude of studies that show consumption of certain macros will influence your weight especially for those who are overweight/obese. Excess carbs will prevent those people from losing weight.
    There, fixed it.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I have all kinds of clean eating friends that do no better in weight loss and health than I do using moderation and balanced meals. But I eat burgers, fries, pizza, etc, and drink a boatload of beers too.

No difference. I do better than some and worse than a few, but that is more based on how strict they or I want to be.

I'll take enjoying my life with good health for $500 Bob.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Just because you like to overeat something, doesn't qualify that food as 'junk'. I overeat the hell out of green peppers, but that doesn't make them junk food. When I do eat pizza, I like to eat a lot of it, so I make sure I have room in my calories for it by making room several days ahead of time. I make it with fresh ingredients, turkey sausage, green peppers, pineapple, gorgonzola cheese, (and dairy-free mozzarella), organic sauce, and homemade crust. I'd like to know what's junky about all of that. I eat a lot of it, but that's my choice. That doesn't make it junk.
    One thing I don't understand about the conversations that happen in these threads.... when a topic comes up like this, you tend to come along and say something like the bolded statement. The tendency in this thread has been to discuss these foods in the generalized sense, to determine their worth as nutritional or not. Yet when you comment, you like to mention things like this - "I had pizza near the bottom of things I liked to eat". Why this need to always make everything about you?
    Case in point. Lots of people, including you, do this.

You obviously don't understand the difference between giving an example to make a point and constantly making a thread about yourself (case in point: when exercise comes up: swimming. When OP can't lose weight: your thyroid. Food addiction: you couldn't stop eating white pasta.)
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    I have all kinds of clean eating friends that do no better in weight loss and health than I do using moderation and balanced meals. But I eat burgers, fries, pizza, etc, and drink a boatload of beers too.

No difference. I do better than some and worse than a few, but that is more based on how strict they or I want to be.

I'll take enjoying my life with good health for $500 Bob.

Bob? or Alex? :D
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Oh and I wanted to add, weight loss can be stalled by junk food because it has more sodium. Which holds back water weight. :)

Junk food usually is high carb also and high carbohydrate intake retains both water and sodium. Low carb eating dumps excess water and sodium.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    So....If I make a pizza with:
    • Reduced Fat Cheese (ok according to USDA according to the chart as skim milk > whole milk)
    • Whole Wheat Crust (good because whole wheat you know)
    • Pesto sauce (good because olive oil, healthy fats, etc you know)
    • Lean Ground Beef (good because lean meat)
    • Olives
    • Any other topping that would fit the USDA criteria for "non-empty cals"

Even though it might be the same, if not more calories per slice.... it is not considered junk?
    You're learning. Stick around these forums, and maybe one day you'll meet your weight loss goal...

I just want to be toned....

Y'all are killing me! :D:D
  • mccindy72
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Oh and I wanted to add, weight loss can be stalled by junk food because it has more sodium. Which holds back water weight. :)

Junk food usually is high carb also and high carbohydrate intake retains both water and sodium. Low carb eating dumps excess water and sodium.

It's all temporary.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    • Reduced Fat Cheese (ok according to USDA according to the chart as skim milk > whole milk)
    • Olives

Even though it might be the same, if not more calories per slice.... it is not considered junk?
    You're learning. Stick around these forums, and maybe one day you'll meet your weight loss goal...

I'd start with the bug bites on your back; Jesus, what bug was biting you? You can't get tone just by writing about it; keep eating Gelato. . . .good luck.

Those are barbell hickey's
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Just because you like to overeat something, doesn't qualify that food as 'junk'. I overeat the hell out of green peppers, but that doesn't make them junk food. When I do eat pizza, I like to eat a lot of it, so I make sure I have room in my calories for it by making room several days ahead of time. I make it with fresh ingredients, turkey sausage, green peppers, pineapple, gorgonzola cheese, (and dairy-free mozzarella), organic sauce, and homemade crust. I'd like to know what's junky about all of that. I eat a lot of it, but that's my choice. That doesn't make it junk.
    One thing I don't understand about the conversations that happen in these threads.... when a topic comes up like this, you tend to come along and say something like the bolded statement. The tendency in this thread has been to discuss these foods in the generalized sense, to determine their worth as nutritional or not. Yet when you comment, you like to mention things like this - "I had pizza near the bottom of things I liked to eat". Why this need to always make everything about you?
    Case in point. Lots of people, including you, do this.

You obviously don't understand the difference between giving an example to make a point and constantly making a thread about yourself (case in point: when exercise comes up: swimming. When OP can't lose weight: your thyroid. Food addiction: you couldn't stop eating white pasta.)

You're right. I don't.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    nichalsont wrote: »
    The nutritional value of the calorie really is the key. 1200 calories of crap won't keep you as satisfied or provide the energy that1200 calories of healthy food will. Also, since there will be sugar crashes and low energy with the 1200 calories of crap, it will be much harder to stay at just 1200 calories.

I've never experienced something like a "sugar crash" in my whole life, not even when I was overweight and would eat whole bags of candy in a day.

how old are you?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    The nutritional value of the calorie really is the key. 1200 calories of crap won't keep you as satisfied or provide the energy that1200 calories of healthy food will. Also, since there will be sugar crashes and low energy with the 1200 calories of crap, it will be much harder to stay at just 1200 calories.

I've never experienced something like a "sugar crash" in my whole life, not even when I was overweight and would eat whole bags of candy in a day.

how old are you?

Why is that relevant? Everyone was a child at some point and did the whole bag of candy thing.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    • Olives

I'd start with the bug bites on your back; Jesus, what bug was biting you? You can't get tone just by writing about it; keep eating Gelato. . . .good luck.

Those are barbell hickey's

Phew; good.. I didn't want to track down that damn bug. Working on the hickey's. . . . . osmosis isn't cutting it.

• mccindy72
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

how old are you?

Why is that relevant? Everyone was a child at some point and did the whole bag of candy thing.

It's also could be offensive to those who may or may not have had BED and done that as an adult as part of their disorder.

Exactly this, as well.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I've omnommed a bag of candy and I'm 60. What's your point?

how old are you?

I've omnommed a bag of candy and I'm 60. What's your point?
  • AlexisUPenn
    AlexisUPenn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Dietary carbohydrates are broken down to glucose and absorbed into the bloodstream via small intestines. Elevated concentrations of glucose in blood stimulate release of insulin. Insulin is a hormone that facilitates entry of glucose into muscle, fat cells and other tissues.
    Insulin also stimulates the liver to store some of the excess glucose in the form of glycogen.
    When the liver is saturated with glycogen, any additional glucose is shunted into pathways leading to synthesis of fatty acids, which are exported from the liver as lipoproteins. The lipoproteins are ripped apart in the circulation, providing free fatty acids for use in other tissues, including fat cells, which use them to synthesize triglyceride.

Insulin prevents the breakdown of fat in adipose tissue by inhibiting the intracellular lipase that hydrolyzes triglycerides to release fatty acids.

Insulin also facilitates entry of glucose into adipocytes (fat cells).

From a whole body perspective, insulin has a fat-sparing effect. Not only does it drive most cells to preferentially oxidize carbohydrates instead of fatty acids for energy, insulin indirectly stimulates accumulation of fat in adipose tissue.

So in short... The more carbs you eat. The more glucose in your blood stream. This stimulates increased insulin production. Insulin increases the storage of fat in fat cells and prevents the cells from releasing it for energy. Not to mention the effects of insulin on leptin resistance and ghrelin. The satiety and hunger hormones.

Of course there needs to be a calorie deficit in order to lose fat, that is common sense. But if you're just looking at calories in vs calories out you are only seeing a small piece of the puzzle. Calories are NOT created equal and play a big role in fat loss.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 @mccindy72 @Serah87

I personally don't get hung up on what people choose to call certain foods. The term "junk food" has been around for a long time...people have used the term to describe certain foods. I leave it to them as to what foods they label "junk". I don't take it as a personal affront if it happens to be a food that I consider "healthy".

I might use the term "junk food" out of habit to describe food that doesn't fit what I should be eating. Yes...I refer to the pizza that "I" eat as my "junk food". Technically I probably shouldn't eat it (namely store bought/delivered) because of the sodium level.

I am not judging anyone else's pizza...nor their chicken. I make room in my diet for those "junky" luxuries. I also really don't spend much time if any at all passing judgment on what anyone else eats.

I probably...most likely...will continue to refer to my Friday night pizza as my "junk food" night. If that offends any of you...not much that I can do about that.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Dietary carbohydrates are broken down to glucose and absorbed into the bloodstream via small intestines. Elevated concentrations of glucose in blood stimulate release of insulin. Insulin is a hormone that facilitates entry of glucose into muscle, fat cells and other tissues.
    Insulin also stimulates the liver to store some of the excess glucose in the form of glycogen.
    When the liver is saturated with glycogen, any additional glucose is shunted into pathways leading to synthesis of fatty acids, which are exported from the liver as lipoproteins. The lipoproteins are ripped apart in the circulation, providing free fatty acids for use in other tissues, including fat cells, which use them to synthesize triglyceride.

Insulin prevents the breakdown of fat in adipose tissue by inhibiting the intracellular lipase that hydrolyzes triglycerides to release fatty acids.

Insulin also facilitates entry of glucose into adipocytes (fat cells).

From a whole body perspective, insulin has a fat-sparing effect. Not only does it drive most cells to preferentially oxidize carbohydrates instead of fatty acids for energy, insulin indirectly stimulates accumulation of fat in adipose tissue.

So in short... The more carbs you eat. The more glucose in your blood stream. This stimulates increased insulin production. Insulin increases the storage of fat in fat cells and prevents the cells from releasing it for energy. Not to mention the effects of insulin on leptin resistance and ghrelin. The satiety and hunger hormones.

Of course there needs to be a calorie deficit in order to lose fat, that is common sense. But if you're just looking at calories in vs calories out you are only seeing a small piece of the puzzle. Calories are NOT created equal and play a big role in fat loss.

tl;dr

I lost 30 pounds eating plenty o' carbs.

Is it time for gifs yet?
This discussion has been closed.