CALORIE QUALITY

Options

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    qb63 wrote: »
    Let's take two guys of fairly equal size and fitness level. We put both guys on the same training program and allow each man to eat 3,000 calories per day.

Guy A can only get his calories from lean meats and fish; fresh fruits and vegetables; and sweet potatoes and brown rice.
    Guy B can only get his calories from candy, ice cream and fast food.

After eight weeks, who do you think is going to look and perform better?

Perform how? ;)

well in that case, I say B but only if he has left over ice cream. because then I will be happy too

Personally, I'd go for pie, but ice cream is good.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nichalsont wrote: »
    The nutritional value of the calorie really is the key. 1200 calories of crap won't keep you as satisfied or provide the energy that1200 calories of healthy food will. Also, since there will be sugar crashes and low energy with the 1200 calories of crap, it will be much harder to stay at just 1200 calories.

I've never experienced something like a "sugar crash" in my whole life, not even when I was overweight and would eat whole bags of candy in a day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Let's take two guys of fairly equal size and fitness level. We put both guys on the same training program and allow each man to eat 3,000 calories per day.

Guy A can only get his calories from lean meats and fish; fresh fruits and vegetables; and sweet potatoes and brown rice.

Guy B because he will have lost weight.

Guy A gave up on his restrictive diet and binged, went waaay over on his calories and actually *gained* weight. ;)

Moderation is key. Incorporating some of the foods you love into your daily 'budget' is the way most people manage to lose weight, stay healthy *and* keep their sanity. It's a balance. ;)
    This idea that junk food is required in a diet because excluding it makes binging a foregone conclusion...it's so very wrong.

The idea that a person who doesn't eat junk food is insane...it's not just wrong, it's a little over the top.

One can eat healthy foods, not binge and remain sane. I swear. People have done it.

You really don't have to eat junk food to lose weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The nutritional value of the calorie really is the key. 1200 calories of crap won't keep you as satisfied or provide the energy that1200 calories of healthy food will. Also, since there will be sugar crashes and low energy with the 1200 calories of crap, it will be much harder to stay at just 1200 calories.

I've never experienced something like a "sugar crash" in my whole life, not even when I was overweight and would eat whole bags of candy in a day.

A sugar crash is when you are out cycling for over four hours and you are so busy trying to squeeze a glucose/fructose carb gel down your throat you fall off your bike.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Guy A gave up on his restrictive diet and binged, went waaay over on his calories and actually *gained* weight. ;)

Moderation is key. Incorporating some of the foods you love into your daily 'budget' is the way most people manage to lose weight, stay healthy *and* keep their sanity. It's a balance. ;)
    This idea that junk food is required in a diet because excluding it makes binging a foregone conclusion...it's so very wrong.

The idea that a person who doesn't eat junk food is insane...it's not just wrong, it's a little over the top.

The poster didn't say eating junk food is required for sanity. He said that one way to maintain sanity (which I read as simply a more colorful way of saying have a more pleasant time of it and make the diet sustainable) is to eat foods you love. Personally, if I ate only boneless, skinless chicken breast for protein I MIGHT lose it (and don't get me started on canned tuna or tilapia, as I don't like either). So I incorporate tuna steak, roasted chicken with skin and bones, steak, salmon, etc. I also incorporate other foods I love and have no reason to give up, like cheese and ice cream.

If there were some reason for me to give them up of course I could (my dad gave up steak--well, mostly--and is fine), but barring such a reason why make it harder than you need?

If it's easier for you (the general you) to be more restrictive, by all means do that, but don't pretend--like OP--that that makes your diet more healthy or virtuous than those who make different decisions based on what seems just as healthy and more pleasurable to them. Pleasure is not a bad thing, and probably does contribute to overall quality of life (although if one must restrict it's nice that there are many sources of pleasure).
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

A sugar crash is when you are out cycling for over four hours and you are so busy trying to squeeze a glucose/fructose carb gel down your throat you fall off your bike.

I chortled.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The poster didn't say eating junk food is required for sanity. He said that one way to maintain sanity (which I read as simply a more colorful way of saying have a more pleasant time of it and make the diet sustainable) is to eat foods you love. Personally, if I ate only boneless, skinless chicken breast for protein I MIGHT lose it (and don't get me started on canned tuna or tilapia, as I don't like either). So I incorporate tuna steak, roasted chicken with skin and bones, steak, salmon, etc. I also incorporate other foods I love and have no reason to give up, like cheese and ice cream.

If there were some reason for me to give them up of course I could (my dad gave up steak--well, mostly--and is fine), but barring such a reason why make it harder than you need?

If it's easier for you (the general you) to be more restrictive, by all means do that, but don't pretend--like OP--that that makes your diet more healthy or virtuous than those who make different decisions based on what seems just as healthy and more pleasurable to them. Pleasure is not a bad thing, and probably does contribute to overall quality of life (although if one must restrict it's nice that there are many sources of pleasure).

I'm so here for ALL.OF.THIS!!!!!!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I have no trouble visualizing this. Thank you for the explanation :D

• Kalikel
    Options

Who, in this thread, has pretended that their diet was the Superior Way Of Eating? Hmm? Who?

Wasn't me!

I'm not pretending that people must eat my way OR ELSE, lol. I'm not suggesting that if you eat different foods, you will 1) Binge and 2) Become insane.

Who did that?

"Stop pretending you're more virtuous" is really good advice for those who think that. If you think that your WOE makes you better, it probably is REALLY GOOD ADVICE. Stop pretending you're more virtuous.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Has anyone actually tried to eat 600 calories of broccoli in one meal?

I hate vegetables - hahaha... :trollface:

lol I eat broccoli daily. About 1 bowl a day at one meal. Love it. But if I ate 6 bowls I think I'd be sick. :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Who, in this thread, has pretended that their diet was the Superior Way Of Eating? Hmm? Who?
    OP and 3stepsahead.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Wasn't me!

I'm not pretending that people must eat my way OR ELSE, lol. I'm not suggesting that if you eat different foods, you will 1) Binge and 2) Become insane.

Who did that?

"Stop pretending you're more virtuous" is really good advice for those who think that. If you think that your WOE makes you better, it probably is REALLY GOOD ADVICE. Stop pretending you're more virtuous.

Made me think of this guy:
    level-5-vegan-simpsons.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    qb63 wrote: »

Perform how? ;)

well in that case, I say B but only if he has left over ice cream. because then I will be happy too

Personally, I'd go for pie, but ice cream is good.

Me, too. o:)

• Kalikel
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

Wasn't me!

Who did that?

Of course. If someone says that one can lose weight without junk food and remain sane...that's really the same thing as saying they don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

So, it would be logical for you to think that.

...NOT.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    whoooooooosh
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Wasn't me!

Who did that?

Of course. If someone says that one can lose weight without junk food and remain sane...that's really the same thing as saying they don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

...NOT.
    Geez, sorry. I was talking about someone who felt they had a "superior" way of eating.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Wasn't me!

Who did that?

...NOT.

Considering she was agreeing with you, perhaps you just need to step away from the computer for a while.
  • Kalikel
    edited August 2015
    Options

Wasn't me!

Who did that?

...NOT.
    Geez, sorry. I was talking about someone who felt they had a "superior" way of eating.
    I apologize for taking it wrong. Sincerely. I'm sorry.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

OP and 3stepsahead.

Yup. That's also why I specifically referenced OP in my post.
This discussion has been closed.