CALORIE QUALITY

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    sarahbe89 wrote: »
    Isn't the ultimate goal to be HEALTHY though? Or am I the only one who thinks like that? I'm all for having the occasional treat but I'm not going to fill up my daily calories with junk. But that's just me.

I lost 121 pounds eating 80% healthy and 20% treat foods, I have totally reverse my heart disease and my blood work is near perfect.

Ice cream has good nutrition in it calcium, protein, etc.

How is pizza considered junk, it has veggies, meat, cheese, tomatoes, fruit sometimes, etc. it bogs my mind why people think pizza is junk. LOL

Why do people think pizza is junk? Well, for one thing, the USDA has labeled it empty calories.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories.html

96d2fba7d953829c6d024e35a6338c9f.png
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    "A new study from Harvard University found that the number of calories consumed is not necessarily as important as the quality of those calories.

The kind of calories the body gets may affect how efficiently people burn their body's energy, which can be key for losing weight and keeping it off.

"It's not that calories don't matter, but the quality of the calories going in can affect the number of calories going out," said study author Dr. David Ludwig, at Boston Children's Hospital."

Source:

ABC NEWS

For Calories, It's All About Quality Over Quantity, Harvard Study Says
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/calorie-calorie-harvard-study-compares-popular-weight-loss/story?id=16654506

I don't think this tells us much besides the fact that science reporting is a wretched hive of scum and villainy...
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Isn't the ultimate goal to be HEALTHY though? Or am I the only one who thinks like that? I'm all for having the occasional treat but I'm not going to fill up my daily calories with junk. But that's just me.

I lost 121 pounds eating 80% healthy and 20% treat foods, I have totally reverse my heart disease and my blood work is near perfect.

How is pizza considered junk, it has veggies, meat, cheese, tomatoes, fruit sometimes, etc. it bogs my mind why people think pizza is junk. LOL

Why do people think pizza is junk? Well, for one thing, the USDA has labeled it empty calories.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories.html

No, they say it contains empty calories. That's a major distinction.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    From all the
    Where do you get the loony idea that it's "just you"?

from all the responses to the original post.

Yes, when I first started posting here I thought a response like "all that matters is CICO" meant that people stop there, but in actuality, what most of them mean is the more complete answer posters earlier in this thread gave:
    For weight loss, doesn't matter. For overall health, it matters.
    For fat loss, the quality of calories does not matter. CICO matters.

For optimum nutrition and health, eating a diet with a sufficient amount of the necessary nutrients matters.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "A new study from Harvard University found that the number of calories consumed is not necessarily as important as the quality of those calories.

The kind of calories the body gets may affect how efficiently people burn their body's energy, which can be key for losing weight and keeping it off.

"It's not that calories don't matter, but the quality of the calories going in can affect the number of calories going out," said study author Dr. David Ludwig, at Boston Children's Hospital."

Source:

ABC NEWS

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/calorie-calorie-harvard-study-compares-popular-weight-loss/story?id=16654506

That study involved 21 adults, it's a pretty small study. It also doesn't say anything about any adult in the study not losing weight on a diet of 1,200 calories. What is your basis for that claim?
  • UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    "At Harvard Medical School, Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, an associate professor of medicine and epidemiology whose research was cited by experts in the film, said that the long-held idea that we get fat solely because we consume more calories than we expend is based on outdated science.

He has studied the effects that different foods have on weight gain and said that it is true that 100 calories of fat, protein and carbohydrates are the same in a thermodynamic sense, in that they release the same amount of energy when exposed to a Bunsen burner in a lab. But in a complex organism like a human being, he said, these foods influence satiety, metabolic rate, brain activity, blood sugar and the hormones that store fat in very different ways."

Source:

The New York Times
    Are All Calories Equal?
    May 9, 2014
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/fed-up-asks-are-all-calories-equal/?_r=0
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

LOL!! Still near perfect health. :)
  • Serah87
    Options

Source:

ABC NEWS

LOL!!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

LOL!! Still near perfect health. :)

So are many people who didn't count calories.

The statement that "counting calories is only one way to lose weight", which you bolded and disagreed with, is accurate. Many people lose weight without counting the calories.

Many people who don't count calories are healthy. Some who do count calories are not healthy.

Counting them isn't the only way to lose weight and has little to noting to do with being healthy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "At Harvard Medical School, Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, an associate professor of medicine and epidemiology whose research was cited by experts in the film, said that the long-held idea that we get fat solely because we consume more calories than we expend is based on outdated science.

He has studied the effects that different foods have on weight gain and said that it is true that 100 calories of fat, protein and carbohydrates are the same in a thermodynamic sense, in that they release the same amount of energy when exposed to a Bunsen burner in a lab. But in a complex organism like a human being, he said, these foods influence satiety, metabolic rate, brain activity, blood sugar and the hormones that store fat in very different ways."

Source:

The New York Times
    Are All Calories Equal?
    May 9, 2014
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/fed-up-asks-are-all-calories-equal/?_r=0

And we're to the "blog entries and references to discredited documentaries" portion of the conversation.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Some people get so worked up others eating things that give them pleasure in the context of a balanced diet. It's so puritanical. They'd love to brand them with a scarlet S for having a cookie.

Not me! I enjoy many foods. I'm every bit as delighted to eat a bowl of fruit as almost any cookie. No Ss here.

I sure hope that you don't think everyone who chooses, say, fruit, over a cookie derives no pleasure from the fruit. I eat many, many very tasty things that are also healthy.

Furthermore, I support the choice to eat cookies and wouldn't label anyone as anything because they choose to eat them. Nor do I think that eating or not eating a cookie has anything to do with what kind of a person one is.

I have known and loved people who ate nothing that was good for them. The smartest, kindest, funniest, most honest and generous person I've ever known almost never ate anything that was good for him. When he'd tease me about cooking possum and eating rabbit food, I'd tease back and say, "I know, you don't like the healthy food. And you've got the heart attacks to prove it!" And we were still best friends.

I don't know why anyone makes judgements about others based on their diet. Small minds, I guess. But the, "My WOE is better than your WOE" is ridiculous.

Wow...... If any of my friends said anything like this, joking or not, we would very quickly no longer be friends. What a horrible thing to say to someone.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Some people get so worked up others eating things that give them pleasure in the context of a balanced diet. It's so puritanical. They'd love to brand them with a scarlet S for having a cookie.

Not me! I enjoy many foods. I'm every bit as delighted to eat a bowl of fruit as almost any cookie. No Ss here.

I sure hope that you don't think everyone who chooses, say, fruit, over a cookie derives no pleasure from the fruit. I eat many, many very tasty things that are also healthy.

Furthermore, I support the choice to eat cookies and wouldn't label anyone as anything because they choose to eat them. Nor do I think that eating or not eating a cookie has anything to do with what kind of a person one is.

I have known and loved people who ate nothing that was good for them. The smartest, kindest, funniest, most honest and generous person I've ever known almost never ate anything that was good for him. When he'd tease me about cooking possum and eating rabbit food, I'd tease back and say, "I know, you don't like the healthy food. And you've got the heart attacks to prove it!" And we were still best friends.

I don't know why anyone makes judgements about others based on their diet. Small minds, I guess. But the, "My WOE is better than your WOE" is ridiculous.

Wow...... If any of my friends said anything like this, joking or not, we would very quickly no longer be friends. What a horrible thing to say to someone.

IKR. That's a low blow.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

We said much, much worse, lol. Most of it couldn't be typed out on this board. You should hear the ways in which he said he was going to torture my cat, lol. It would make some people's blood run cold. But he didn't mean it. He was teasing.

And we weren't just best friends. We were related, so there was no getting rid of each other. But we were very, very close. It was a unique relationship, to be sure.

He ate almost nothing that was good for him, ever. He had four heart attacks and the last one killed him. Still never wanted to eat anything healthy. I supported that choice and didn't think less of him for it.

It's just ridiculous to think more or less of someone because they do or don't eat cookies. What you eat has nothing to do with what you are.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Source:

The New York Times
    Are All Calories Equal?
    May 9, 2014

Anyone else having Joanie Munitz flashbacks with these posts?
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i am not even going to bother reading this thread since i can already guess what has already been said

anyway. If I filled my calorie allowance every day of my life with 'less healthy options' I would feel gross and also pretty hungry most of the time. So I find having one or two treats a day and then filling the rest of my day with equally as tasty but probably more healthy foods makes me feel much better

also not completely restricting the more *junky* things is nice and has helped me no longer binge muchanymore

sometimes i can have more indulgent days where i maybe over do it on some things but whatever thats life
  • UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    "Quality matters too, and it matters on both sides of the energy-balance equation.

Calories go out in three ways: we burn them to survive (resting energy expenditure); we burn them to work (physical exertion); and we waste them (thermogenesis or heat loss). The quality of the fuel we consume can affect both resting energy expenditure, and thermogenesis. Is this surprising? Not at all. We can make fire with wood, or coal; coal burns hotter. Protein, fats, and low-glycemic foods seem to burn a bit "hotter" than simple and refined carbohydrates, a fact corroborated by a recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Source:

U.S. News & World Report HEALTH
    Fathoming the Calorie
    Why both the quality and quantity of calories count.
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/07/11/fathoming-the-calorie
  • Serah87
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i am not even going to bother reading this thread since i can already guess what has already been said

anyway. If I filled my calorie allowance every day of my life with 'less healthy options' I would feel gross and also pretty hungry most of the time. So I find having one or two treats a day and then filling the rest of my day with equally as tasty but probably more healthy foods makes me feel much better

also not completely restricting the more *junky* things is nice and has helped me no longer binge muchanymore

sometimes i can have more indulgent days where i maybe over do it on some things but whatever thats life
    That's basically eating moderation, am I right??
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

We said much, much worse, lol. Most of it couldn't be typed out on this board. You should hear the ways in which he said he was going to torture my cat, lol. It would make some people's blood run cold. But he didn't mean it. He was teasing.

And we weren't just best friends. We were related, so there was no getting rid of each other. But we were very, very close. It was a unique relationship, to be sure.

He ate almost nothing that was good for him, ever. He had four heart attacks and the last one killed him. Still never wanted to eat anything healthy. I supported that choice and didn't think less of him for it.

It's just ridiculous to think more or less of someone because they do or don't eat cookies. What you eat has nothing to do with what you are.

Yeah.... That explanation just makes it seem even worse.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    "Quality matters too, and it matters on both sides of the energy-balance equation.

Calories go out in three ways: we burn them to survive (resting energy expenditure); we burn them to work (physical exertion); and we waste them (thermogenesis or heat loss). The quality of the fuel we consume can affect both resting energy expenditure, and thermogenesis. Is this surprising? Not at all. We can make fire with wood, or coal; coal burns hotter. Protein, fats, and low-glycemic foods seem to burn a bit "hotter" than simple and refined carbohydrates, a fact corroborated by a recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Source:

U.S. News & World Report HEALTH
    Fathoming the Calorie
    Why both the quality and quantity of calories count.
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/07/11/fathoming-the-calorie

Can you please stop posting links like this if you're not willing to discuss the actual content? People are responding to you.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Was this some kind of S&M thing? o:)
    I know. It is so weird that all those moderation people aren't just saying "you can have a cookie if you want instead of avoiding it." I don't get why they have to say bizare things like "you're wrong for not eating cookies. You're totally nuts for not eating it, and I'm going to shove them down your throat to make you mentally better." People are weird, aren't they? :)
This discussion has been closed.