Starving myself FAT

Options
123457»

Replies

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't mean gaining weight on a low amount. It means your body adapting to maintain on very low amount, then gaining weight very quickly once you up your calories even a moderate amount. So in starvation one could be maintaining on 600-700 a day, then suddenly gain weight when they increase to 1200. Most of that fat would initially be stored around the internal organs. So no, you won't gain weight by the initial over-restriction; you will gain it from restricting for a period of time, then increasing. I'm not sure how well some element of this apply to those who aren't underweight though.

Nope, that's not how it works, either. No one would be able to maintain their weight on 600 - 700 calories a day. Just not physically possible. Unless they were a young child, maybe.

Erm yes I did. It nearly killed me in the end but I did it for a very long time. Then gained on what was initially a very minor increase.

Erm no you didn't. I'm sorry, but you cannot defy the laws of science. It's literally impossible. What you just said is pretty much the same as saying 'I fell off a cliff and floated because gravity doesn't apply to me'.
  • StepB1987
    StepB1987 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    sidricks wrote: »
    Sadly I starved myself a few times in my early twenties. Lost weight every time

I agree with this too. Your body just knows its lacking calories, whether you starve yourself or not it doesn't really matter youll lose weight in the end, even if it is musle.
  • StepB1987
    StepB1987 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I starved myself fat too. Then I started really logging EVERYTHING I ate or drink for 2 weeks. Turns out I was eating a lot of stuff and forgetting I ate it. Or I was eating food and not realizing how many calories I was actually eating. I wasn't starving myself at all, I was eating way more than I realized hence I was slowly but surely gaining weight.

I used to eat like that too, its almost like I thought I was starving because all I was consuming were carbs, so in turn I wasn't staying full for long. little did I realize that the family size bag chips, along with a huge bag of chocolate meant to share, ontop of a huge set of cupcakes or a cake ext.. was well over 3500 calories alone not counting the actual meals of spaghetti ext I was eating inbetween. lol boy did I learn!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't mean gaining weight on a low amount. It means your body adapting to maintain on very low amount, then gaining weight very quickly once you up your calories even a moderate amount. So in starvation one could be maintaining on 600-700 a day, then suddenly gain weight when they increase to 1200. Most of that fat would initially be stored around the internal organs. So no, you won't gain weight by the initial over-restriction; you will gain it from restricting for a period of time, then increasing. I'm not sure how well some element of this apply to those who aren't underweight though.

Nope, that's not how it works, either. No one would be able to maintain their weight on 600 - 700 calories a day. Just not physically possible. Unless they were a young child, maybe.

Erm yes I did. It nearly killed me in the end but I did it for a very long time. Then gained on what was initially a very minor increase.

Erm no you didn't. I'm sorry, but you cannot defy the laws of science. It's literally impossible. What you just said is pretty much the same as saying 'I fell off a cliff and floated because gravity doesn't apply to me'.

Maybe she is Wile. E. Coyote

Beep Beep!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Beep Beep!

z6bxlimvybzx.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Beep Beep!

z6bxlimvybzx.jpg

Snort. LOL
  • tlroof
    tlroof Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is comical. I joined my fitness pal hoping for supporters and it started a chain of negativity! Excellent!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    tlroof wrote: »
    This is comical. I joined my fitness pal hoping for supporters and it started a chain of negativity! Excellent!

Yeah, what a bunch of meanies!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Something you'll learn when you're here a while is that just about every day there is someone new quoting pseudo science or claiming untrue things. Sometimes a shift in your routine can lead to weight loss, but the bottom line is that you can't eat at a true deficit and gain weight because the body just doesn't work like that.

The high volume of posts of this nature lead to some of the comedy around here. People can be supportive, if you take the good advice given and work hard at it.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Try joining looking for knowledge. You'll find the site much more valuable.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

We support your effort to lose weight, and to that end will provide the right information. Eating less calories than you burn isn't necessarily that sexy - there just aren't that many ways to dress it up, so you'll very commonly see shysters make all kinds of bull shyte up for gullible people. If weight loss is your goal, consume less calories than your body burns and you'll do just fine
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Get a good bra if you need support.
    Come to MFP forums for information and the help you need, not the help you want.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is very simple (not easy - but simple). Two postulates are necessary to internalize for anyone to be successful - 1) it requires a caloric deficit and 2) our behavior, shaped by hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and any number of famines, is designed to compel us to eat more than we burn whenever possible.

So, people who spend a lot of mental energy trying to explain why they're gaining weight "even when I only eat (insert miniscule number) of calories!" are simply fulfilling their evolutionary / biological mandate to get and stay fat. Evolutionary pressures exert such a strong influence on human behavior, I think it even shows up when we see these interminable posts where people are utterly convinced that stored energy can somehow spontaneously generate in the human body.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Weight loss is very simple (not easy - but simple). Two postulates are necessary to internalize for anyone to be successful - 1) it requires a caloric deficit and 2) our behavior, shaped by hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and any number of famines, is designed to compel us to eat more than we burn whenever possible.

So, people who spend a lot of mental energy trying to explain why they're gaining weight "even when I only eat (insert miniscule number) of calories!" are simply fulfilling their evolutionary / biological mandate to get and stay fat. Evolutionary pressures exert such a strong influence on human behavior, I think it even shows up when we see these interminable posts where people are utterly convinced that stored energy can somehow spontaneously generate in the human body.

^^^ This!

MFP really needs a Like button
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Get a good bra if you need support.
    Come to MFP forums for information and the help you need, not the help you want.

YOU, I like!