How did you meet your significant other?

Options

Replies

• heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Online on POF. Late December we started messaging back and forth and I was going to San Fran for work the next week. The day after I got back home, we went on our first date and it was sparks. Couldn't be happier.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    We met at work. I am a military lawyer and he was the commander of the military police at our base. We attended some meetings together and I had the biggest crush on him. He's 9 years older than me and outranks me by two ranks. About 4 months later, a guy in his unit got in a lot of trouble, and I was the attorney working on the pre-trial prep for the case. We would talk or email everyday about the case and gradually our conversations became more friendly. About 3 weeks later, the day before our base's winter holiday party, I suggested he buy me a drink at the party. The next night at the holiday party, he offered to buy me a drink, we talked for about an hour and a half, I gave him my phone number, and we tentatively made plans to run a 5k on New Years Eve. We texted every single day for two weeks while I was on leave visiting my parents/friends. I got back to town the day after Christmas and we had our first date that night. This month we will have been together for 18 months. :heart:
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    He ran a 10km race with me and didn't leave me behind, even though I'm sure he could have finished before me.

A gentleman never finishes before his lady.
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    he dated my roommate and I dated his...when we each had fallouts with the significant others we decided to go out for a drink....dang if it wasn't dollar night at the local bar and boy did we spend some dollars!!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hi aunt does hair, and my best friend got her hair cut by his aunt. Aunty tried to set up best friend with him. She's telling me about this guy, and I say, Oh, I think he goes to my youth group. So I introduce myself to him at youth group, and we become friends. He never ended up dating my best friend. He and I were just friends for two years (met at 16), but I was very interested in him. He was dating someone else. They eventually broke up, and I let him know how I felt about him, via a note left in his car (I'm kind of shy). He came back to my house after finding the note, we talked, he kissed my hand (such a gentleman!), and made a date for the next day. On our first date, we took a walk around a local lake, and I (who had never dated anyone before) told him that I don't think we should date for the fun of it, but with the intention of getting married. That didn't scare him off! We dated for a year, were engaged for a year, and this past Monday was our 13th wedding anniversary. I've now had him part of my life for more than half of it, and I would not change a thing.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    8th grade French class. Never dated in HS but hung out in the same pack of kids. Saw on summer breaks from college. Post graduation ran into each other. I had plans so declined his invite. I got stood up, called him back as plan B. Celebrating 20 years married this July.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    We met because of Match.com. It was kind of a fluke, since neither one of us were active members. We also had mutual friends in the LA music scene, so we probably would have met eventually.
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I originally met my husband when I was 13 - he was friends with my older brother. We then ended up working together at McDonalds when I was 16 and he was 20. We started flirting and I ended up asking him out. We've been together ever since - 14 years this fall and married for 4 of it!
  • Stringcheese84
    Stringcheese84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when we were in the same Army unit. We dated for 9 months then got hitched. We were both very young, both 20 years old. All of our co workers and friends said that we would never last and they would give us less than a year to be married then they said we would divorce. Well 8 years of marriage, 2 kids and a 2 dogs later we are still happily married and in love more than we were the day we got married. All of those old co workers that doubted us see us (facebook or run ins) and are surprised that we are still married and going strong.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    We met in the high school library. Both of us are bibliophiles. I was 17, not actually interested in boys yet. He was 18, intelligent and funny, and a redhead with freckles, which was appealing. Next year, we were engaged, then he went off to war and I went off to college. He was the only guy I ever dated. We married in 1971. He's still got my back, my Bear, that supportive and loving guy, 42 years later.

Awesome story
  • Hunnergomeow
    Hunnergomeow Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Work. I was his manager and within a week of him getting hired we were dating. He actually asked me if his resume qualified him to ask me out, which made me laugh so I agreed on coffee even though I wasn't even interested in him at the time. But coffee turned into a 6hr date and we've been dating ever since.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad break up with my Kindergaden sweet heart, just after High School (2006). Depressed I started putting all my time into Online games (World of Warcraft). Randomly as I'm playing the game a Female Druid with White hair, in a white dress chased me half way across the town, to tell me I looked great... On my Female druid with Green hair in a Green dress. Thats when I got recruited to 'her' guild. That's how I met my husband, lol.

In Spring of 2007, I moved out of my parents house, got a factory job, my first apartment, and Started college. Was gone for a entire summer before coming back to Warcraft. Another year playing the game, and our guild broke up around us, the stress caused us to have a big fight. After that we talked. I found out that my the druid with white hair... Was a guy, who had started playing a character on that realm to be as far away from his real life as possible, as his father had just died.

We talked... For hours... Every day on the game. For months. Before I finally called him on my cell and we talked.... for hours.

Four plane trips later, a Diamond ring and I'm moved from Kansas to Pennsylvania, December of 2008, just after my 3rd semester at college.
    We married in August of 2009, and since he works from home, and I don't have a job, we have spent nearly every hour of every day for the past (almost) 4 years together.... I haven't killed him yet so we must be doing something right. <3
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Twitter talking college football!

Edit: Spelling
  • talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I met mine in my dining room :smile:

I used to get lonely being a young mum (young compared to my friends: my daughter is 7 and none of my friends have kids yet) so I would invite friends round to mine for a tasty meal and a nice evening. I told them it was an open door policy and so long as they gave me 6 hours notice they could bring a friend. One day I come in from the kitchen and there he was standing in my dining room making my daughter laugh by attempting to skip through a hula-hoop...it wasn't going to happen! I knew he had to be mine straight away though :love:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    We worked together at an upscale restaurant. I was a waitress and he was a cook. He chased after me for about 6 months before I would go out with him. I finally agreed to watch the Superbowl at his apartment at the end of January. He came home with me on Valentines Day that year. We've been together for almost 23 years and married 21 years last month.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I was on POF for 10 whole days and he emailed me just before I deactivated my account...and yes, I know I got pretty lucky! lol
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Shopping in his store for rock climbing gear..

What I came in for was out of stock, so I kept going back in every couple weeks to see if it was in yet and we chatted a lot.. then we chatted online, sometimes until 3-4am.. We went hiking together and climbing together.

Now I manage his store and we're getting married in September. <3
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    At my old job.

I had just ended my previous relationship, and I felt so incredibly free. I went out all the time and was pretty much happy being single. That relationship kept me locked up in a cage, and he treated me like **** most of the time. This was sometime around Christmas 2011.

I remember changing my "relationship status" on Facebook a couple days after it happend. Ya know.. made it official. Lol
    Then I started noticing a couple other people changing to "single" throught the weeks going on to 2012. I was thinking to myself, "Damn... this is the year to end your long term relationship! Everyone is straight up not giving a f***!". And then I see my now boyfriend's status change to single as well. I remember liking it and commenting on it saying "Hey.. everything will be okay. Just drink!". I was having a ball being single.

He then tells me now that he thought that I was me hitting on him. Lol
    At work, I would go up to him and ask him how's holding up. Because break ups are tough. I had my crying moments, so I would go to him to relate. Once again.. he thought I liked him. Lol

One day, I was talking to the guy I actually had a crush on in our Returns department, and he comes in and butts in our conversation. And I'm like heyyyy whats up. All friendly and what not. The other guy leaves and my boyfriend goes "Here" and hands me a little piece of paper, and pretty much runs away. I thought it was trash, so I was about toss it away. But something told me it wasn't trash so I opened it up. It had my name, and on the other side was his number. I said "Heh... what a funny guy." I saved his number, but I had NO intentions of texting or calling him. I had already hooked up with two guys from work (I know... that is BAD.. but coming out of that relationship... I didn't CARE). So I pretty much did not want to get involved with anyone from there. I just wanted to be on my own.

Three days later, I get a text from him. Wait a minute... I NEVER gave him my number! So for a while, I kept wondering how the hell did he get my number? We kept texting for a while, and after a couple times him asking me out, I finally gave in. Not until we had our second date, I asked him how he got my number. He admitted to looking me up in our system and got it from there, hoping it was my cell phone. What a STALKER, huh? Lol Welp... Over a year later, I'm still with him.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My sister introduced us, he was her crush. Its been 12 years now and she has finally forgiven me
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I crawled into a window and sat down near him. We ended up arguing and I spouted off some non sequitur about his looks.