Fast food?

Options

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    McDonald's or any fast food restaurant can be easily navigated with common sense and self-education, even if you are watching your calories. Chain restaurants of most types can make it easier to travel simply by being easier to log and manage your calories since they have more consistent portions and preparation.
    • Calories are often posted on the menu boards now, and detailed information is available on-site and online
    • Grilled chicken items and salads can make for decent lower calorie meals
    • An Egg McMuffin runs only about 300 cals
    • Side items like fries can often be substituted or order the entree alone. You don't have to order the combo meal
    • You can always order the burgers and sandwiches without the higher calorie condiments like mayonnaise
    • There is no harm in going over your calories on a given day: if you want the Whopper, eat the Whopper and log it

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    One can make anything fit into their allotment, by being conscientious and using moderation.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat McDonalds 1-2 times a week. My kids love the playground. I can fit just about any food in my calories in moderation, and I eat 1400 cals a day.

Things I eat:

4 piece nugget and side salad w/ lite balsalmic

McDouble

Grilled chicken McWrap

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    One can make anything fit into their allotment, by being conscientious and using moderation.

Moderation? That's crazy talk! smh

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Moderation? That's crazy talk! smh

I literally just spit my coffee all over the counter.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The grilled chicken salad isn't horrid if you use your own dressing. It isn't great, but it isn't horrid.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    their Asian salad is good and very low in calories.
    I frequently order a mcchicken or parfait.
    soups are often low in calorie as well. chili included
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like the asian chicken and cashew salad at Wendy's...I don't see anything inherently unhealthy about it.

But really, I don't eat fast food often..it's pretty rare...I try to look at the bigger picture and view my diet as a whole and don't get wrapped up in the minutia of day to day...having fast food here and there is pretty irrelevant to the whole of my diet.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    side salads, fruit parfaits, small fries and a chicken wrap, there are plenty of healthier options at mcdonalds. You could also pack some protein bars and fruit if you wanted in a small cooler or lunch box for the trip back.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A quarter pounder is the perfect dinner for me (fast food fries aren't worth it to me, so I stick to the sandwich). And if I have fewer calories to work with, then I'll get a McChicken.

The breakfasts, though...last time I got a McGriddle it was terrible, so I think I've sworn them off for good.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    it really just meant stop at mcdonald's 2 times each way, with only fast food in the vicinity. :s is there anything good at mcdonald's? all their breakfast items seem awful so I skipped the breakfast spot for a clif bar. but for dinner everything looked so unhealthy. even their salads seem to be shriveled old iceberg lettuce. I just opted for a quarter pounder with cheese and no fries. figured it had the calories of a full meal and protein at least. I'm starting to see fast food restaurants as 100% awful. What are some good things to order if you're in that situation and stuck there for a meal?

I east fast food for lunch once a week. I look at the menu in advance and choose something that fits my day.

At McDonald's:
    Breakfast- fruit & yogurt parfait, oatmeal, regular egg McMuffin? I usually eat around 200 calories for breakfast and I think those choices are closest to that.
    Dinner- 500-700 calories is typical for my dinner. I might have a regular hamburger or chicken sandwich with a side salad or fries and an unsweetened tea.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I have never been much of a fast food eater, but even I can find acceptable selections at McDonald's if that was my only dining choice.

- If the lettuce in the salad looks wilted, ask for one with an expiration/Best By date that's further out. Always a good idea to check these dates.
    - I'd eat the Premium Chicken Wraps as well.
    - For breakfast, Egg McMuffin (skip the sausage and save 150 calories)

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like the sweet chili grilled chicken Mcwrap and it's 400 calories.

Typically though I'd get a grilled chicken salad of some sort with fat free dressing, with maybe a snack wrap. Last time I had a burger it was 400 calories (the fish one) and I was still hungry after I was done. So not worth it.

For breakfast? Egg Mcmuffin and a yogurt parfait for 450 calories. Or just a sausage McMuffin with egg for the same amount. I didn't like the McGriddles either.

But anyway... there are options. Ok, I've only been there once in a year because for me it's typically not worth the calories, but if I HAD to eat there, I'd find something.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I like the Egg White Delight for breakfast. Their coffee is also $1.00 for any size, every day, and is delicious.

It's been awhile since I've had McDonalds for lunch or dinner.. I actually used to eat it more often when I was losing weight steadily. It's not that I think fast food makes you lose weight, just that if you're doing the right things in general it is not that difficult to work in fast food meals if you're so inclined. I like a Chicken Nugget Happy Meal for lunch, or a 6 piece and small fries for dinner, or larger if you have the calories to spare.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    There are surprisingly a large number of menu items at McDonalds under 400 calories.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/meal_bundles/favoritesunder400.html
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key. Just got back from a road trip, we covered over 3200 miles and eating was very dubious. We ate fast food a lot and McDonalds got a lot of our money. It was hard to keep accurate track of calories while on the road but I used my head when selecting food to eat. I did not put on one pound of weight. Yay for me!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm shocked at how many people can't get anything from McDonald's. Nothing. Not a single thing on the menu can fit into your calorie goals.

Or is it just that you can't get what you used to get, before you became conscious of your calorie intake, and have therefore decided, "Well, I can't get a Big Mac and supersize fries, so I guess I can't get anything"?

Maybe really take a look at the nutrition info before you decide that there's NOTHING that you can have.

I am on 1430 calories a day and I have very little trouble fitting something from most fast food places into my calorie goal. I get fast food once a week and I'm doing just fine.

I can make it fit my calories. I just think it's a waste of taste and calories. And it doesn't get me far toward meeting my nutritional goals.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Snack wrap grilled chicken ranch or no ranch, double cheese burger, cheese burger, oatmeal, egg white delight, chilli from wendy's love itttt, it is just one day, fast food ain't evil and one day don't think it would hurt your diet/health

Eat, enjoy, log, move on.