Fast food?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    So, I guess it's now necessary to point out that my sandwich also comes with 0 trans fat, 7 sat. fat, 560mg potassium, 15% A, 20% C, 20% Calcium, 20% Iron...

I guess now that I type it out, it's clear that my fast food sandwich doesn't help meet my micro needs at all...

What about the B vitamins? Manganese? Zinc? Selenium?
    tumblr_ly117nkssx1r7s9n4o1_500.gif
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Presumably the person eating the Quarter Pounder is also eating other things that day. Things that have nutrients. According to a search I just did, it has 417 calories. It isn't that hard to fit a 417 calorie sandwich into a day's plan, especially when it has 24 grams of protein, 22% of the RDA for iron, and other assorted nutrients.

Depends! If you're short, "old" and sedentary (desk job), like me, 417 calories is a sizable chunk of CI out of my day. So, for me, it's best to be selective about when, how and how much fast food I decide on.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    karyabc wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    because I like the way mcdonalds tastes. and Wendy's and popeyes and taco bell and dominos and qdoba
    I do plenty of cooking on my own but I like the taste of fast food too

and mcgriddles: happy syrupy bacon goodness

Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich w/ Cheese is amazing. I'll work that into my budget any time I have the chance!

Oh dear and sweet popeyes :'( I.effing. <3 . U

Also, for what it's worth, since we're talking about nutrition, it's not like my chicken sandwich from Wendy's has no nutritional value. The way I get it (no mayo, add cheese), it has 550 calories with 35g of protein, 21g of fat, and 58g of carbs. The calories are high, but that's why I eat them on days when I've worked hard. To say you don't get any nutrients from fast food is to show a clear misunderstanding of how this all works.

I know! I'm so with you in this, those burger and those macros hellooo freaking awesome, it couldn't get better than that, I always think that whennpeople say is unhealthy because is not home made, the sodium maybe? , but most of those burger I personally think the calories/macro ratio are good, I spend all the day out of my house, 6/7 I eat home made food, but that one day when I don't bring my food, I thank mcdonalds, is cheap, always close and so easy to fit in my calorie.

So in our case it def. Works I guess..
    The sodium, the trans fats, the saturated fat...all stuff that does us no good and some that is actually harming us.

Also, there is so much more to nutrition than macros. Micros! All those nutrients we need and aren't getting from the Quarter Pounder. Furthermore, the a Quarter Pounder is taking up so many calories that we now cannot squeeze the nutrients we need into our day without eating way over the calories.

There is more to food than macros.

So, we have to choose between the food that gives us things that hurt us without many of the vitamins and minerals we need or food that has lots of vitamins and minerals without the trans fats.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat McDonald's. If it's cheap and you like it and it works for you, go for it!! That is what you should do. I am just clarifying what some of us are thinking when we say it's not healthy and we've chosen something healthier - why we say that.

I don't think anyone's suggesting to make your whole diet out of fast food. I think we can agree that's not a good idea from a nutrition standpoint! However, if it's one meal from your day from time to time, it's not a big deal. A lot of places are easy to fit into your calories for the day, and the occasional deluge of fats and sodium is not a problem. Well, unless your doctor has restricted you, then you might be SOL.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    because I like the way mcdonalds tastes. and Wendy's and popeyes and taco bell and dominos and qdoba

Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich w/ Cheese is amazing. I'll work that into my budget any time I have the chance!

Also, for what it's worth, since we're talking about nutrition, it's not like my chicken sandwich from Wendy's has no nutritional value. The way I get it (no mayo, add cheese), it has 550 calories with 35g of protein, 21g of fat, and 58g of carbs. The calories are high, but that's why I eat them on days when I've worked hard. To say you don't get any nutrients from fast food is to show a clear misunderstanding of how this all works.

I know! I'm so with you in this, those burger and those macros hellooo freaking awesome, it couldn't get better than that, I always think that whennpeople say is unhealthy because is not home made, the sodium maybe? , but most of those burger I personally think the calories/macro ratio are good, I spend all the day out of my house, 6/7 I eat home made food, but that one day when I don't bring my food, I thank mcdonalds, is cheap, always close and so easy to fit in my calorie.

The sodium, the trans fats, the saturated fat...all stuff that does us no good and some that is actually harming us.

Also, there is so much more to nutrition than macros. Micros! All those nutrients we need and aren't getting from the Quarter Pounder. Furthermore, the a Quarter Pounder is taking up so many calories that we now cannot squeeze the nutrients we need into our day without eating way over the calories.

So, we have to choose between the food that gives us things that hurt us without many of the vitamins and minerals we need or food that has lots of vitamins and minerals without the trans fats.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat McDonald's. If it's cheap and you like it and it works for you, go for it!! That is what you should do. I am just clarifying what some of us are thinking when we say it's not healthy and we've chosen something healthier - why we say that.

I don't think anyone's suggesting to make your whole diet out of fast food. I think we can agree that's not a good idea from a nutrition standpoint! However, if it's one meal from your day from time to time, it's not a big deal. A lot of places are easy to fit into your calories for the day, and the occasional deluge of fats and sodium is not a problem. Well, unless your doctor has restricted you, then you might be SOL.

That's the impression you'd get from some people, right? In context, the OP is concerned about not getting anything with nutritional value when forced to eat at McDonald's, as her normal diet would not include fast food. It's odd how in a post specifically about not eating it all the time, that strawman still seems to surface. As so many here have pointed out, it's entirely possible to get food at McDonald's (and all fast food joints) that fits into your calorie budget, offers nutrients the body needs, doesn't contain trans fat, and which can be tasty, admittedly a subjective point. I hope OP comes back to comment on how she feels regarding those observations and what how she may react to a similar situation in the future.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Came here to say that yesterday I had a Filet-o-Fish and fries. Still lost half a pound over the weekend! A weekend that included to Iowa State Fair AND deep fried Snickers.

Means nothing. I've lost weight after a day eating 3500 calories too... but I was due for a whoosh. The truth is that if I had stuck to my goal that day instead, I would have lost more. It's still CICO.

But I'm jealous of people who are actually satisfied with that stuff. I had a filet-o-fish two weeks ago and was still hungry after, it was like eating air.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's two meals out of a lifetime of meals. I'd just get what I fancied within reason (soda is not worth it for me, never really drunk much of it) log it and move on. I'm not a McDs fan at all for many reasons, not just perceived poor nutrition but if needs must I'm not going to go hungry for the sake of potentially being over a couple of days!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It's two meals out of a lifetime of meals. I'd just get what I fancied within reason (soda is not worth it for me, never really drunk much of it) log it and move on. I'm not a McDs fan at all for many reasons, not just perceived poor nutrition but if needs must I'm not going to go hungry for the sake of potentially being over a couple of days!

Diet soda has 0 calories.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It's two meals out of a lifetime of meals.

This. Eating McDonalds...or Taco Bell...or KFC a couple of times isn't going to kill you.

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Dr. Joel Fuhrman says that meat and cheese are junk food in comparison with vegetables and fruit, considering all of the vitamins and micro nutrients we get from them.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I know but how many people go for the diet option? I actually prefer diet Coke to "full fat" but not many people are going with the diet option in McDs!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I know but how many people go for the diet option? I actually prefer diet Coke to "full fat" but not many people are going with the diet option in McDs!

I drink Diet Coke pretty much daily, so yeah that's what I would order at McDonalds too!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I drink Diet Coke pretty much daily, so yeah that's what I would order at McDonalds too!

Same here... only my preference is Diet Pepsi. I'll drink Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper at places that don't have Diet Pepsi.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    So, I guess it's now necessary to point out that my sandwich also comes with 0 trans fat, 7 sat. fat, 560mg potassium, 15% A, 20% C, 20% Calcium, 20% Iron...

I guess now that I type it out, it's clear that my fast food sandwich doesn't help meet my micro needs at all...

In thinking about this, I came to a realization. The sandwich is 550 calories, which is roughly 17% of my TDEE on a day when I do my long run. Based on the nutritional values I already posted, I'm getting 17% of my protein, 20% of my fats (with no trans fat), and 28% of my carbs. I'm getting similar ratios for the micros I checked. I'm failing to see how this does not meet the definition of "healthy." Even the 7g of saturated fat fall well below the recommendation of <10% of fat intake from saturated fats at 6.7%.
  • violabec
    violabec Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm shocked at how many people can't get anything from McDonald's. Nothing. Not a single thing on the menu can fit into your calorie goals.

Or is it just that you can't get what you used to get, before you became conscious of your calorie intake, and have therefore decided, "Well, I can't get a Big Mac and supersize fries, so I guess I can't get anything"?

Maybe really take a look at the nutrition info before you decide that there's NOTHING that you can have.

HUH? Where are you getting this?

Most people have been saying that they HAVE found things they can eat; some include their experience that although it can fit in [the crap], they'd prefer to get their calories elsewhere.

• PandoraMalikite
    PandoraMalikite Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering McDonald's addict. Jk! But really though I haven't had their food in over a month and sadly I'm feeling the itch. I love their french fries and mcdoubles. Their sweet tea was amazing. I gave it all up though and I have to admit I'm doing much better in weight for it. They have healthy options and they are pretty tasty but I have a lack of control when I get to ordering food from them so I just don't go there. I know my limitations. I have found that subway has inspired me with their salads to where I've begun making similar ones at home and they don't cost $7. If I do fast food now I do it rarely and most states require restaurants to have a nutrition guide of their items. If it isn't displayed in the store, just ask the waiter/waitress for one and they should supply one. It's always easier to take the time to find what you want and what works for you than to guess and be dissapointed later.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I have no problems finding fast food items that fit in my calories and macros. Especially Wendy's! They have delicious salads , which are fresh and tasty ! They have bottled waters , or diet colas , and have a wonderful baked potato that really tastes good . I'm sure there's many other things like sandwiches that can fit into almost any calorie allotment. ( I'm just not much of a sandwich eater but have seen many friends on here fit in a burger and fries !! )

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I have no problems finding fast food items that fit in my calories and macros. Especially Wendy's! They have delicious salads , which are fresh and tasty ! They have bottled waters , or diet colas , and have a wonderful baked potato that really tastes good . I'm sure there's many other things like sandwiches that can fit into almost any calorie allotment. ( I'm just not much of a sandwich eater but have seen many friends on here fit in a burger and fries !! )

Plain baked potato and small chili is my go to. Decent cals and filling.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    violabec wrote: »
    Wow. I'm shocked at how many people can't get anything from McDonald's. Nothing. Not a single thing on the menu can fit into your calorie goals.

Or is it just that you can't get what you used to get, before you became conscious of your calorie intake, and have therefore decided, "Well, I can't get a Big Mac and supersize fries, so I guess I can't get anything"?

Maybe really take a look at the nutrition info before you decide that there's NOTHING that you can have.

HUH? Where are you getting this?

Most people have been saying that they HAVE found things they can eat; some include their experience that although it can fit in [the crap], they'd prefer to get their calories elsewhere.

Um, I posted that on the first page, where many of the posts were about how people never went to McD's and/or had NOTHING they could order there.

I realize that subsequent posts said otherwise, but I didn't think I needed to go back and edit my post.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    it not fast food that makes you fat and unhealthy it's how much of it you eat. The great thing about McD's is that they have all the nutrition info for you so you can make the best informed choices when it comes to ordering their food if you have to or want to eat there.