Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You guys are talking about McD's. Seriously! How bout a :
    rng7k8i9asig.jpg

Whaaat?!? Honestly, a five guy burger with everything. I think it's 1,000 calories. Eat one, grab a hammock.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I have no problems finding fast food items that fit in my calories and macros. Especially Wendy's! They have delicious salads , which are fresh and tasty ! They have bottled waters , or diet colas , and have a wonderful baked potato that really tastes good . I'm sure there's many other things like sandwiches that can fit into almost any calorie allotment. ( I'm just not much of a sandwich eater but have seen many friends on here fit in a burger and fries !! )

Plain baked potato and small chili is my go to. Decent cals and filling.

I liked the chili until I read that they use meat scraps in it. Totally turned me off...

I think my issue with Wendy's salad is that they didn't have any low calorie dressing when I checked, and I hate dry salad.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If you download the app for smartphone you can access the nutritional information easily. Also, if you download McDonalds app now, they are offering a free Sandwich of your choice. I'm not a huge fan, but I'll take a free Sandwich lol
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    rng7k8i9asig.jpg

Whaaat?!? Honestly, a five guy burger with everything. I think it's 1,000 calories. Eat one, grab a hammock.

There is a 5 guys near the Capitol where a lot of madison races end and that's where I go, right afterward :grin:
  • Francl27
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    rng7k8i9asig.jpg

There is a 5 guys near the Capitol where a lot of madison races end and that's where I go, right afterward :grin:

There's one right next to my gym. Used to love it. Haven't been back in 2.5 years.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    rng7k8i9asig.jpg

Very very smart person right here. Do they have a sign telling you where the potatoes come from?

• Francl27
    Options
    rng7k8i9asig.jpg

Very very smart person right here. Do they have a sign telling you where the potatoes come from?

Mine does.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    because I like the way mcdonalds tastes. and Wendy's and popeyes and taco bell and dominos and qdoba
    I do plenty of cooking on my own but I like the taste of fast food too

and mcgriddles: happy syrupy bacon goodness

Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich w/ Cheese is amazing. I'll work that into my budget any time I have the chance!

Oh dear and sweet popeyes :'( I.effing. <3 . U

Also, for what it's worth, since we're talking about nutrition, it's not like my chicken sandwich from Wendy's has no nutritional value. The way I get it (no mayo, add cheese), it has 550 calories with 35g of protein, 21g of fat, and 58g of carbs. The calories are high, but that's why I eat them on days when I've worked hard. To say you don't get any nutrients from fast food is to show a clear misunderstanding of how this all works.

I agree with this^^.
    There are certain Burgers that have a good amount of Protein in them.
    Plus, there are days when you just want a day off from cooking from scratch.
    There's no harm in eating fast food occasionally.

Any protein value in a meal that is less than 30g is a value of empty calories. You may as well be drinking beer. Your body can't use less than that amount for protein synthesis to reverse the catabolic state you are in by lunchtime. Check out Dr. Layman's research on protein and carbs. It is quite fascinating.

Dr. Layman is Professor Emeritus at Illinois University. He has his own nutrition lab out there, and focuses on metabolism of protein and carbohydrates.

Check out this site, scroll down about halfway to the video of his speech. If you have the time, it is about one hour, but it is definitely educational regarding weight loss and lean mass.http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/daily-protein-requirement.html
    If you go watch, watch all the way through, otherwise, you won't have full context.
  • turkoi
    turkoi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is so bad about subway? Honesty question, I thought it was a healthy choice?

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Any protein value in a meal that is less than 30g is a value of empty calories. You may as well be drinking beer. Your body can't use less than that amount for protein synthesis. Check out Dr. Layman's research on protein and carbs. It is quite fascinating.

Can you post links to some of this research? That claim sounds um, far fetched. Let's go with that. But I'd be interested in reading this Dr. Layman all the same.

I updated.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I'm surprised so many people are strictly about calories and not fat, carbs, etc. when talking about fast food. Since I've been logging and have mfp premium I've been watching those numbers a lot more, and fast food seems to be sky high in sodium. I don't have blood pressure issues but don't want to either, and since I got some tips from a nutritionist on how to watch fiber vs. sugar content on labels, I feel like a lot of things are loaded with sugar too. So I wasn't just thinking calories. I grabbed something in my calorie limits for the day but just felt like I was eating slop after not eating fast food for so long. I feel like their salads are so flimsy with iceberg lettuce but admittedly haven't had one in awhile. the calories were posted in the restaurant but the rest I was going online and when I found something with decent calories the rest of the numbers seemed off and a lot higher than what mfp was telling me for the day. that's been my biggest challenge balancing out the protein/fat/carbs. I get to the end of the day and it's like "hmmmm I need 20 more grams of protein but can't have any more fat or sodium!" things like that.

Well, no-one appears to be talking about exclusively eating fast food for every single meal. It's about the wider context, tracking macros and micros for every single thing I put in my mouth would make me give up on the whole weight loss thing pretty fast, it's just too tedious a way to live. The odd burger, fries, restaurant meal, take out, pizza etc is not going to make me drop down dead.

I personally track my calories primarily and just keep an eye on everything else. Just my approach to not make things too much of a chore. Eating has to remain a pleasure when at a deficit for me.

As for Five Guys, we have some in London and I am so looking forward to trying when I start uni soon as there's one sort of nearby!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Any "doctor" who thinks protein converts to glucose or fat because it's not a certain amount? Quite suspect.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If I eat McDonald's I usually do an Egg White Delight McMuffin for breakfast (hold the Canadian bacon), or a Fruit and Yogurt Parfait.

For lunch/dinner, I'll usually do one of their grilled chicken salads or a grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo). On a more rare occasion I might do one of their small child's size hamburgers.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I had a filet-o-fish two weeks ago and was still hungry after, it was like eating air.

That's the thing with eating one of their burgers - not filling to me either (on their own).
    I normally have to have medium fries as well or sometimes even another burger on top! Lol
    But when that happens, i just exercise more the following day. ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    because I like the way mcdonalds tastes. and Wendy's and popeyes and taco bell and dominos and qdoba

Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich w/ Cheese is amazing. I'll work that into my budget any time I have the chance!

Also, for what it's worth, since we're talking about nutrition, it's not like my chicken sandwich from Wendy's has no nutritional value. The way I get it (no mayo, add cheese), it has 550 calories with 35g of protein, 21g of fat, and 58g of carbs. The calories are high, but that's why I eat them on days when I've worked hard. To say you don't get any nutrients from fast food is to show a clear misunderstanding of how this all works.

I agree with this^^.

Any protein value in a meal that is less than 30g is a value of empty calories. You may as well be drinking beer. Your body can't use less than that amount for protein synthesis to reverse the catabolic state you are in by lunchtime. Check out Dr. Layman's research on protein and carbs. It is quite fascinating.

Dr. Layman is Professor Emeritus at Illinois University. He has his own nutrition lab out there, and focuses on metabolism of protein and carbohydrates.

Check out this site, scroll down about halfway to the video of his speech. If you have the time, it is about one hour, but it is definitely educational regarding weight loss and lean mass.http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/daily-protein-requirement.html
    If you go watch, watch all the way through, otherwise, you won't have full context.

Actually, the research is probably fine but the conclusion by the web site is absolutely incorrect. Leucine is the amino that is used in the synthesis of skeletal muscles, this is well known. The idea in the paper is that you need 4.5g of leucine rich food to optimize protein synthesis. What he actually says in his paper, which is only an overview of some other research, is that you should space out your protein intake, 90g+, evenly over 3 meals for reasons of saiety and sufficiency and to maximize protein synthesis in muscles, which is probably a minimal amount of difference in reality.

The silly statement on the keto website you link (re: <30g of protein is converted to carbs) is not found in the research paper nor would be a reasonable conclusion to draw from it. You can find the full text here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2666737/ What it really said was that you need over 30g of protein that is rich in leucine to maximize skeletal muscle synthesis, which is a completely different conclusion.

• jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I stop at McDonalds...my go to: McChicken sandwich with an ice water: No mayo, add tomato. It's 350 calories before my edits, so it always fits in my calorie budget.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I agree with this^^.

Actually, the research is probably fine but the conclusion by the web site is absolutely incorrect. Leucine is the amino that is used in the synthesis of skeletal muscles, this is well known. The idea in the paper is that you need 4.5g of leucine rich food to optimize protein synthesis. What he actually says in his paper, which is only an overview of some other research, is that you should space out your protein intake, 90g+, evenly over 3 meals for reasons of saiety and sufficiency and to maximize protein synthesis in muscles, which is probably a minimal amount of difference in reality.

The silly statement on the keto website you link (re: <30g of protein is converted to carbs) is not found in the research paper nor would be a reasonable conclusion to draw from it. You can find the full text here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2666737/ What it really said was that you need over 30g of protein that is rich in leucine to maximize skeletal muscle synthesis, which is a completely different conclusion.
    But watching a video is easier than actually reading and comprehending...
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I agree with this^^.

But watching a video is easier than actually reading and comprehending...

What is the hour long video going to tell me?!? Can't I just eat 29 grams of Protein at each meal to get the 'empty calories'? Why do people insist on misquoting Professors?!? Is there an agenda out there? Is this thing turned on?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Presumably the person eating the Quarter Pounder is also eating other things that day. Things that have nutrients. According to a search I just did, it has 417 calories. It isn't that hard to fit a 417 calorie sandwich into a day's plan, especially when it has 24 grams of protein, 22% of the RDA for iron, and other assorted nutrients.

Depends! If you're short, "old" and sedentary (desk job), like me, 417 calories is a sizable chunk of CI out of my day. So, for me, it's best to be selective about when, how and how much fast food I decide on.

Which is very different from a blanket declaration that a fast food burger is a poor choice. If 417 calories is a big part of your daily calorie budget (which I understand it can be for people who are more sedentary and/or smaller), you'll have to be careful about any item around 400 calories to make sure you're meeting your nutritional needs. This doesn't really have anything to do with fast food.