Options
18910111214»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    No reason? Personal choice isn't good enough?

No reason to eliminate foods you enjoy. You would not eliminate a food you enjoy because of personal choice...

Really?

When I drank beer...I enjoyed it. I haven't had one in probably 10 years. I don't miss it. I will probably not ever drink beer again.

I love Bloody Marys...haven't had one in almost 4 years. At some point I will probably have another...maybe...I don't know.

In the above two cases...it was a personal choice.

If you don't want to or can't eliminate foods that you enjoy then don't. That IMO is your personal choice and there isn't any need to. That doesn't mean that others can't make that personal choice.
    You seem to take all this way to personal. You keep bringing up the notion about what I can or can not do in regards to diet.

That said, if you don't miss a food then I guess you really don't love or enjoy it all that much...
  • J72FIT
    Options

No reason to eliminate foods you enjoy. You would not eliminate a food you enjoy because of personal choice...

Yes I would. I enjoy cheesecake. I haven't had it in years, probably decades. It's so high calorie that when presented with the opportunity, I choose not to eat it. I mean, it's just food. It's not like I'm eliminating a friend from my life.
    I'm sorry but that is so sad. Why not just have it once in a while if you enjoy it? Life is too short to forgo the things we enjoy. We just can't eat as much of them as we would like to...

Maybe I will someday, maybe not. My life is quite happy without it so no need to feel sad for me.

But if ever I am about to pass out from hunger and cheesecake is all that is available, rest assured that I will eat the cheesecake. :p
    Or the urine to avoid life threatening dehydration... Lol!

Hey, if urine and cheesecake is all there is, I'm going for it. I'm a survivor.
    I think we have ourselves the making of the next big diet. Let's write it and sell it ;)

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Yes I would. I enjoy cheesecake. I haven't had it in years, probably decades. It's so high calorie that when presented with the opportunity, I choose not to eat it. I mean, it's just food. It's not like I'm eliminating a friend from my life.
    I'm sorry but that is so sad. Why not just have it once in a while if you enjoy it? Life is too short to forgo the things we enjoy. We just can't eat as much of them as we would like to...

Maybe I will someday, maybe not. My life is quite happy without it so no need to feel sad for me.

But if ever I am about to pass out from hunger and cheesecake is all that is available, rest assured that I will eat the cheesecake. :p
    Or the urine to avoid life threatening dehydration... Lol!

Hey, if urine and cheesecake is all there is, I'm going for it. I'm a survivor.
    I think we have ourselves the making of the next big diet. Let's write it and sell it ;)

I'm in, because it's just crazy enough to sell.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I don't think it is sad that someone chooses to skip a pleasant experience (cheesecake) to improve or help maintain their health. Many such choices could eventually lead to a longer and healthier life than if exceptions were made, especially if it is with trigger foods.

JMO
  • J72FIT
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I don't think it is sad that someone chooses to skip a pleasant experience (cheesecake) to improve or help maintain their health. Many such choices could eventually lead to a longer and healthier life than if exceptions were made, especially if it is with trigger foods.

JMO
    If it is was trigger food that would say lead to a binge, I can see eliminating with hopes to one day re-introduce once the disordered eating pattern was corrected.

That said, the comments don't imply any such trigger response so I am going under the assumption that is an elimination because one thinks these foods are inherently "unhealthy"...
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Making sure your food is washed and cleaned of any harmful bacteria is important.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited August 2015
    Options

JMO
    If it is was trigger food that would say lead to a binge, I can see eliminating with hopes to one day re-introduce once the disordered eating pattern was corrected.

That said, the comments don't imply any such trigger response so I am going under the assumption that is an elimination because one thinks these foods are inherently "unhealthy"...

It is neither really, though closer to unhealthy, as in an unhealthy amount of calories. Honestly, thinking it's sad that someone chooses not to eat a food, for whatever the reason, no matter how bizarre or misguided the reason might be or seem, seems a little absurd to me. It's just food. One single food in a world full of foods. A food someone you don't even know isn't eating. And you think it's sad. How does that make any sense?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

JMO

It is neither really, though closer to unhealthy, as in an unhealthy amount of calories. Honestly, thinking it's sad that someone chooses not to eat a food, for whatever the reason, no matter how bizarre or misguided the reason might be or seem, seems a little absurd to me. It's just food. One single food in a world full of foods. A food someone you don't even know isn't eating. And you think it's sad. How does that make any sense?

Because if a person really enjoys something, whether it be eating cheesecake, or singing on a stage, or building birdhouses from salvaged lumber - if they stop doing one of those activities because their lifestyle doesn't accommodate it (I don't have the calories for it, I decided I was no good so I am not going to continue to sing in front of strangers, I don't have time for my hobby), then I think that is a little sad. Do I feel sorry for that person? No - they made the choice, we are all grown ups, it is up to us to choose how to make the best possible lives for ourselves. But if it is something you really enjoy and you gave it up, no matter which one of those things it was, then yes, I think that is a little sad. I would probably find a way to fit in a little cheesecake now and again, visit a karaoke bar where people are drunk and everyone else sings badly, and try to find some time for my woodworking.

That's just me. If you really don't miss the cheesecake, then I just think you probably didn't love it that much to begin with, and that's fine too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

JMO

Because if a person really enjoys something, whether it be eating cheesecake, or singing on a stage, or building birdhouses from salvaged lumber - if they stop doing one of those activities because their lifestyle doesn't accommodate it (I don't have the calories for it, I decided I was no good so I am not going to continue to sing in front of strangers, I don't have time for my hobby), then I think that is a little sad. Do I feel sorry for that person? No - they made the choice, we are all grown ups, it is up to us to choose how to make the best possible lives for ourselves. But if it is something you really enjoy and you gave it up, no matter which one of those things it was, then yes, I think that is a little sad. I would probably find a way to fit in a little cheesecake now and again, visit a karaoke bar where people are drunk and everyone else sings badly, and try to find some time for my woodworking.

That's just me. If you really don't miss the cheesecake, then I just think you probably didn't love it that much to begin with, and that's fine too.

Well, I certainly didn't love it enough to be sad about not eating it. I don't think I've ever felt that way about any food. But I enjoyed it more than some foods I still eat. If that makes me sad in the eyes of others, oh well. That is beyond my control.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

JMO

Well, I certainly didn't love it enough to be sad about not eating it. I don't think I've ever felt that way about any food. But I enjoyed it more than some foods I still eat. If that makes me sad in the eyes of others, oh well. That is beyond my control.

It wasn't me who originally brought this up, but just to clarify, I didn't say that I think that you are sad. I think the act of giving up something you (and by you I mean anyone, not specifically you) really love, and saying you are probably never going to have it again, is sad.

The more you elaborate on this cheesecake choice, the less I feel you were really that attached to cheesecake to begin with. I, on the other hand, love my wine and my coffee. If I had to give either of those up, for medical reasons, or because it didn't fit into my lifestyle, I would be sad for a little bit and I would be trying to figure out ways to work around it. Like, when pregnant - didn't drink, didn't have caffeine (much), and there were days I really, really missed it. So I had decaf coffee (some people think what's the point) and N/A beer (N/A wine sucks in case no one has ever tried it, but N/A beer tastes pretty much like regular beer). It helped me get through the pregnancies with some of my mental health intact. But there are plenty of other foods that I enjoy (cheese fries) that I don't really eat anymore because I can't fit them into my day without some serious other accommodations, but those I don't feel like it is much of a sacrifice. I don't say, "I love cheese fries and I gave them up and am never going to eat them again". If we go to Outback or somewhere, I say, "nah, not worth the calories, I would rather use the calories for steak and wine".

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If they are trying to get into a calorie deficit they are doing it because they have to - whether that be cutting a food out of their diet or limiting the portion size of their favourite foods.

If they want to reduce calories they have to make sacrifices.

Absolutely true. But that is a temporary circumstance. I go through the same thing when I am cutting. Once I get down to my weight and no longer require the deficit I can go back to including my favorite foods again. We're talking about (if I am understanding correctly) permanently eliminating foods you love...

I agree it does not make sense to eliminate the food you love - that definitely is not a sustainable eating style and not one that I would take part in.

And it's probably why diets in general have such a high failure rate. I struggle with limiting portion size and find diets that limit the amount of foods I love totally unsustainable.

Lucky for me the food I love is basically meat (all varieties). Everything else I can happily take it or leave it.

I think that is sometimes why people who are anti elimination diets are a little narrow minded and can only see life through their own eyes. Just because they love (and can't live without) cheerios in the morning doesn't mean that's how others feel about cheerios.

• J72FIT
    Options

JMO

Amen...

• J72FIT
    Options
    If they are trying to get into a calorie deficit they are doing it because they have to - whether that be cutting a food out of their diet or limiting the portion size of their favourite foods.

If they want to reduce calories they have to make sacrifices.

Absolutely true. But that is a temporary circumstance. I go through the same thing when I am cutting. Once I get down to my weight and no longer require the deficit I can go back to including my favorite foods again. We're talking about (if I am understanding correctly) permanently eliminating foods you love...

I agree it does not make sense to eliminate the food you love - that definitely is not a sustainable eating style and not one that I would take part in.

And it's probably why diets in general have such a high failure rate. I struggle with limiting portion size and find diets that limit the amount of foods I love totally unsustainable.

Lucky for me the food I love is basically meat (all varieties). Everything else I can happily take it or leave it.

I think that is sometimes why people who are anti elimination diets are a little narrow minded and can only see life through their own eyes. Just because they love (and can't live without) cheerios in the morning doesn't mean that's how others feel about cheerios.
    At the end of the day, everyone more then likely has certain foods they "can't live without..." The object of the game is to pick a diet that is in step with your individual preferences...