I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I've been lurking in this thread since it started because... hilarious. After seeing that Alamo Drafthouse shake though, I just have to say, that looks amazing. I now know what I'm going to use my free food voucher for when I'm there next.

I'd prefer we didn't label threads as "hilarious" and "serious." Threads can be comically-dense or drama-dense. Adding these arbitrary labels just derails people who are trying to fix their broken sense of humor.

And you win.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking in this thread since it started because... hilarious. After seeing that Alamo Drafthouse shake though, I just have to say, that looks amazing. I now know what I'm going to use my free food voucher for when I'm there next.

I'd prefer we didn't label threads as "hilarious" and "serious." Threads can be comically-dense or drama-dense. Adding these arbitrary labels just derails people who are trying to fix their broken sense of humor.

/thread
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

/thread

Aw
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options

/thread

But wait! I didn't share my fav oatmeal cookie recipe: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/218926/bacon-oatmeal-breakfast-cookies-with-maple-glaze/

They're even labeled "breakfast" cookies! :wink:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

giphy.gif
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

/thread

But wait! I didn't share my fav oatmeal cookie recipe: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/218926/bacon-oatmeal-breakfast-cookies-with-maple-glaze/

They're even labeled "breakfast" cookies! :wink:

I know, right?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

ladies+night.gif
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

ladies+night.gif

That gif is ******* creepy!
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options

❤️
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

rotflmao.gif
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Why do we have to label them at all? I just call them all "threads".
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I really need to expand upon my beer sampling. I've never found a beer that didn't slightly remind me of what horse piss could possibly taste like...
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Reading through this thread definitely created a pretty fierce craving for oats/oatmeal cookies so I made some oatmeal and added a bit of Nutella and peanut butter and some apple butter. 300 calories and so delish.

So, got that craving out of the way.

Now as far as avocados, I love them and certainly do crave more after eating 1/2 or a whole avocado. And I've brought this up before when replying to posts that declare fat is so satiating for everyone is that it's not satiating for me, and that foods like avocados and nuts screw up my day royally if I don't make extra effort to keep my fat macro in check on days I consume very high fat foods like these. I will feel like I'm starving otherwise.

Same here. I don't know why some insist that the same things are satiating for everyone.
    Right, though I don't recall anyone making the argument here about fat being satiating, I think relating my experience about fat not being satiating was intended more as a counter to the argument made that avocados are healthy and filling because nutrition (and for the virtue of being a fruit?), and cookies are neither because butter (and for the vice of being a baked good?) But avocados can screw up my day and my own subjective hunger level just as much as cookies can if I'm not extra mindful with my diet to accomodate high fat food choices such as avocados (or nuts or cookies).
    Sometimes avocados and cookies are worth the planning and extra effort to accomodate them, and sometimes they're not. But avocados aren't inherently unhealthy due to not being among the easiest foods in the world for me to work into my diet and to stave off hunger. But it seems to me if the arguments made about why cookies are unhealthy have merit then it should follow from my experience with avocados that they are unhealthy too. And I don't think that's so. My experience is that whenever my diet veers towards very high fat, I suffer from feelings of hunger, and it's not the avocados or the nuts or the cookies fault that high fat affects me this way when my fat macro gets out of balance, it's my failure for not balancing the rest of my day to accommodate their high fat content.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal cookies have a ton of butter and sugar so it would make sense why og poster was trying to find alternative recipes. If I eat fruit and top it with whipped cream it doesn't make it healthy because it's based with fruit. My point was there are 2 categories of food and it should be ok to differentiate between them... In my opinion that's the realistic way of looking at it. If you want to sugar coat it and say all foods are healthy then I guess that works for you.

Like how you said this and agree B) and OP for the oatmeal cookies I guess you could replace butter with yoghurt and sugar with Stevia, probably wont taste as good but might help in the way of portion control.

BTW I'm not a health food freak and I enjoy my occasional treats such as cake and chocolate, burger or whatever I fancy. I am prediabetic so for health reasons I have to be watchful on what I consume every day.

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    coco_bee wrote: »
    Oatmeal cookies have a ton of butter and sugar so it would make sense why og poster was trying to find alternative recipes. If I eat fruit and top it with whipped cream it doesn't make it healthy because it's based with fruit. My point was there are 2 categories of food and it should be ok to differentiate between them... In my opinion that's the realistic way of looking at it. If you want to sugar coat it and say all foods are healthy then I guess that works for you.

Like how you said this and agree B) and OP for the oatmeal cookies I guess you could replace butter with yoghurt and sugar with Stevia, probably wont taste as good but might help in the way of portion control.

BTW I'm not a health food freak and I enjoy my occasional treats such as cake and chocolate, burger or whatever I fancy. I am prediabetic so for health reasons I have to be watchful on what I consume every day.

Why are there only two categories of food?

And if there are only two (healthy vs unhealthy) where do you draw that line?
    Avocado: healthy or unhealthy (it is a fruit, but oh those fats)
    Fruit: healthy or unhealthy (sugarz!)
    Fruit with whipped cream on top: why does the addition of whipped cream to a bunch of fruit suddenly make it unhealthy? How does it negate the benefit of all the goodness in the fruit.
    How about bread? where does it switch from healthy to unhealthy?
    And if bread is healthy, what exactly makes cookies unhealthy?

Can you answer any of those questions?

And while we're at it, define, precisely, healthy and unhealthy, without just using foods (or terms like "junk food" or "garbage") to do so.

Otherwise, we're just creating a false dichotomy (yes, I'm liking that phrase today)

ETA: I'm asking the poster I quoted, the one she quoted, or anyone else who feels like why must admit there are the differences. And, I really am interested in your answer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    coco_bee wrote: »

Why are there only two categories of food?

You know what they say: there are only two categories of people, those who believe there are two categories and, well, hmm...

:-)

I'd add to the list:

Dairy
    Meat (all kinds, pick a few)
    Pasta -- what if it's covered with a sauce of lean meat and lots of vegetables? But what if I add cheese?
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mathjulz - Yes I can answer those questions to the best of my ability, with the hope of not being condemned should I use the "wrong words" to explain what I mean. Its not only about calorie counting or weight loss for me. I have to draw the line somewhere as my cholesterol is high and I am prediabetic. I have been warned by my doctor to cut down on fat and sugar intake to prevent getting Type 2 diabetes or (worse scenario) heart attack which I have a strong family history of ie my brother died at a young age from diabetes and he also suffered from heart attacks :'( I've also been advised to eat "healthier", lose weight and exercise. I love avocado and anything that comes from the ground or a tree I dont believe is unhealthy but I have to try to eat in moderation when it comes to high calorie or high fat/sugary foods. Fruit is OK but I cant have too much of it or it raises the sugar levels in my blood and makes me hungry for more sugar which can lead to overeating and cravings for cake. I love cake but if I eat too much of it will gradually become a health hazard for me. Whipped cream like all high calorie foods I try to have in moderation. Bread is processed, I have to limit my bread as it turns into sugar when it gets into my bloodstream. For a prediabetic, anything that turns into sugar in the body can lead to Type 2. Cookies contain a lot of butter and sugar OMG I love cookies but hopefully you might get the gist of what I am trying to say here by now.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    So, where do we draw that line? At what point does a previously healthy food become unhealthy?

I get that you have to be careful of your choices, but that doesn't make something like cookies or ice cream inherently unhealthy for everyone. I have a SIL and a best friend with T2, so I get where you're coming from. But just because they can't eat a donut without making sure they are accounting for it doesn't mean that a donut that fits into my calories and micro/macro needs is unhealthy. And, in a related vein, many people would consider OJ a healthy beverage choice but for them, it's a "sugar coma in a glass" (her words).

I'm talking about general health, since we're talking about "healthy" and "unhealthy" foods.

So, I ask again, if we must admit there are two categories and everything must fall into one or the other, where do we draw the line .