I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @auddii: Nope! It's surprisingly balanced with a hint of curry. Mm.

@queenliz99: I'm so jealous you're so close. I will also fight you and @tincanonastring for it. So. GOOD.

@andrikosDE: You've got quite the set up going! We only dabble when we have time.

I find it good we can all agree that beer is yummy. ;)
  • Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    People need to stop hating our food choices. An oatmeal cookie can be healthy choice depending on recipe, but it doesn't matter. Deprivation is a great way to fail in losing weight. Enjoying something delicious while being mindful that it has to fit somehow into your daily calorie goal is best. If I want to enjoy a Godiva dark chocolate bar as afternoon snack - go me!

Ignore that haters, they may just be jealous that you allowed yourself the cookie. Stay strong. You got this!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

This whole discussion is a red herring anyway..
    The original point in the first post that was OP was looking for an oatmeal cookie that tastes like it has butter, sugar, flour, chocolate, etc...all of those wonderfully delicious things, but does not contain all of the calories. If anyone finds that particular cookie recipe, I'm all ears. Unfortunately, things made with substitutes usually taste like just that...substitutes. (like those cauliflower types of recipes I see on here from time to time...no thanks!)

It also doesn't address the root of the problem, which is the binging. The real question is, why the need to eat that many cookies at once? What's so much better about the 15th cookie than the 1st cookie? Why is having one or two as a treat instead of an entire batch such an unreasonable thing?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Wytcher9 wrote: »
    People need to stop hating our food choices. An oatmeal cookie can be healthy choice depending on recipe, but it doesn't matter. Deprivation is a great way to fail in losing weight. Enjoying something delicious while being mindful that it has to fit somehow into your daily calorie goal is best. If I want to enjoy a Godiva dark chocolate bar as afternoon snack - go me!

Ignore that haters, they may just be jealous that you allowed yourself the cookie. Stay strong. You got this!

I'm not sure if you are addressing the OP with your comments but she's the one who was hating on the oatMeal cookies calling them unhealthy and looking for alternative recipes so she could binge on them.

The rest of your comments I agree with, I am not a fan of deprivation!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's not unhealthy because I have a balanced diet and don't eat cookies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So if I'm going to get a bit of protein, carbs, and fat from a cookie here or there-that's healthy. And it's a healthy lifestyle and relationship with food.

I suck with gifs, but please imagine a standing ovation one inserted right here.

The OP states that they do not have a healthy relationship with food. Portion control is their problem and that's what is unhealthy. Blaming flour, sugar, etc. for what is (for whatever reason) a lack of self control is mind boggling to me.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's not unhealthy because I have a balanced diet and don't eat cookies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So if I'm going to get a bit of protein, carbs, and fat from a cookie here or there-that's healthy. And it's a healthy lifestyle and relationship with food.

I suck with gifs, but please imagine a standing ovation one inserted right here.

standing-ovation.gif

The OP states that they do not have a healthy relationship with food. Portion control is their problem and that's what is unhealthy. Blaming flour, sugar, etc. for what is (for whatever reason) a lack of self control is mind boggling to me.

FIFY...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    This whole discussion is a red herring anyway..
    The original point in the first post that was OP was looking for an oatmeal cookie that tastes like it has butter, sugar, flour, chocolate, etc...all of those wonderfully delicious things, but does not contain all of the calories. If anyone finds that particular cookie recipe, I'm all ears. Unfortunately, things made with substitutes usually taste like just that...substitutes. (like those cauliflower types of recipes I see on here from time to time...no thanks!)

It also doesn't address the root of the problem, which is the binging. The real question is, why the need to eat that many cookies at once? What's so much better about the 15th cookie than the 1st cookie? Why is having one or two as a treat instead of an entire batch such an unreasonable thing?
    Indeed...

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I've been lurking in this thread since it started because... hilarious. After seeing that Alamo Drafthouse shake though, I just have to say, that looks amazing. I now know what I'm going to use my free food voucher for when I'm there next.

I'd prefer we didn't label threads as "hilarious" and "serious." Threads can be comically-dense or drama-dense. Adding these arbitrary labels just derails people who are trying to fix their broken sense of humor.

/thread

But wait! I didn't share my fav oatmeal cookie recipe: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/218926/bacon-oatmeal-breakfast-cookies-with-maple-glaze/

They're even labeled "breakfast" cookies! :wink:

I am making these right now!

(But not going to pretend that they are healthy.)

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've been lurking in this thread since it started because... hilarious. After seeing that Alamo Drafthouse shake though, I just have to say, that looks amazing. I now know what I'm going to use my free food voucher for when I'm there next.

I'd prefer we didn't label threads as "hilarious" and "serious." Threads can be comically-dense or drama-dense. Adding these arbitrary labels just derails people who are trying to fix their broken sense of humor.

/thread

But wait! I didn't share my fav oatmeal cookie recipe: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/218926/bacon-oatmeal-breakfast-cookies-with-maple-glaze/

No need to pretend. ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Caramel kettle corn 2 1/2 cups for 140 calories. Like I've been saying. Air for volume.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

/thread

Who pretends?

Individual foods aren't healthy or unhealthy (well, usually not, I'm sufficiently risk-adverse to avoid fugu).

When I eat traditionally-made pancakes, which I enjoy every once in a while, I'm totally aware that they aren't particularly nutrient dense and are (or are with the syrup) quite calorie dense. So no willful-blindness here. I just don't make up some nonsense about them being "bad" or inherently unhealthy to try to prevent myself from eating them. I eat them when they fit or when I don't care (most recently that was Christmas morning, because my dad made them for everyone).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Caramel kettle corn 2 1/2 cups for 140 calories. Like I've been saying. Air for volume.

What brand? I broke down and got some from Nuts on Clark last time I was stuck in O'Hare (I was stuck there for 10 hours and then they cancelled my flight), but it was more like 140 for 1 cup.

I could totally get into a lower calorie version.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I googled it and found it right here on MFP. But I lied. It's 150 calories for 2 1/3 cups.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/angies-caramel-kettle-corn-4275986
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I googled it and found it right here on MFP. But I lied. It's 150 calories for 2 1/3 cups.

Oooo, lying to the good peeps of MFP. Shameful :p
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Close enough! I may check it out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    It's not her personal view - her doctor has advised to eat healthier
    Yes but you are still missing the point. Eating healthier is a product of the diet viewed as a whole, not it's individual pieces. Eating healthier does not mean (barring a medical condition) permanent elimination of certain foods. Many junk, crap, garbage and poison foods (as clean eaters would like to call them) can be included as part of a healthy diet. You really can eat whatever you want, just not as much as you want...

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of focusing on what we have to restrict or eliminate in order to improve our health, if we all just started advising people on things to add to their overall diet? If people start adding more of the lean meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dairy, all those things that I think most of us can implicitly agree are nutrient dense "healthy" foods, then they would likely have less room, but still some room, for the treats. They may still be cutting down on the portions or the types of calorie dense foods, but instead of focusing on the negative of restriction or "unhealthy" I wish we could all see that most people on Team Clean and Team Moderation are eating fairly similar diets, it is just the phrasing of how we describe our diets and the advice we give that differs.

Great idea!

(I'm not actually objecting to statements from people who I see as being on Team Moderation like psulemon and lemurcat. I've long thought that I probably eat very much like lemurcat. What I object to is statements like "There is no junk food.")

• WinoGelato
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    It's not her personal view - her doctor has advised to eat healthier
    Yes but you are still missing the point. Eating healthier is a product of the diet viewed as a whole, not it's individual pieces. Eating healthier does not mean (barring a medical condition) permanent elimination of certain foods. Many junk, crap, garbage and poison foods (as clean eaters would like to call them) can be included as part of a healthy diet. You really can eat whatever you want, just not as much as you want...

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of focusing on what we have to restrict or eliminate in order to improve our health, if we all just started advising people on things to add to their overall diet? If people start adding more of the lean meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dairy, all those things that I think most of us can implicitly agree are nutrient dense "healthy" foods, then they would likely have less room, but still some room, for the treats. They may still be cutting down on the portions or the types of calorie dense foods, but instead of focusing on the negative of restriction or "unhealthy" I wish we could all see that most people on Team Clean and Team Moderation are eating fairly similar diets, it is just the phrasing of how we describe our diets and the advice we give that differs.

Great idea!

(I'm not actually objecting to statements from people who I see as being on Team Moderation like psulemon and lemurcat. I've long thought that I probably eat very much like lemurcat. What I object to is statements like "There is no junk food.")

Yes, I think there are polarizing statements from both camps, which is why the discussions tend to devolve very quickly and really, we are just living some sort of Groundhog Day like scenario where we are all just repeating the same argument that happened yesterday, the day before, and the day before.

I have often said, if you did a blind comparison of two different diaries on MFP, one from Camp Clean and one from Camp Moderation - I think you'd see a lot of similarity. I really do think it is in how people present their point of view that gets contentious...

• jgnatca
    Options
    I really do think it is in how people present their point of view that gets contentious...

I heartily agree that our diets are far more alike and that the distinction is very much in our heads. The difference may be in how we judge our choices, whether it's laced with guilt or a sense of decadence.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you did a blind comparison of two different diaries on MFP, one from Camp Clean and one from Camp Moderation - I think you'd see a lot of similarity.
    +1 I'm guessing upwards of 90% of my calories would be considered "clean" on any given day. I just don't think of it in those terms.

I really do think it is in how people present their point of view that gets contentious...
    Nailed it.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Ok, If I've got @kshama2001, @jgnatca, and @tincanonastring all agreeing with me - I am going to go ahead and call this a pretty good Friday on the forums. I should probably pull a George Costanza and end on a high note...

FDCNio.gif

Have a good weekend everybody, I'm Out!