I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    speaking of beer, here are the results from my beerbrewing attic... ;)

rprl372c4adu.jpg

50y5llenmu4v.jpg

Prost! :smiley:

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    It's not her personal view - her doctor has advised to eat healthier
    Yes but you are still missing the point. Eating healthier is a product of the diet viewed as a whole, not it's individual pieces. Eating healthier does not mean (barring a medical condition) permanent elimination of certain foods. Many junk, crap, garbage and poison foods (as clean eaters would like to call them) can be included as part of a healthy diet. You really can eat whatever you want, just not as much as you want...

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of focusing on what we have to restrict or eliminate in order to improve our health, if we all just started advising people on things to add to their overall diet? If people start adding more of the lean meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dairy, all those things that I think most of us can implicitly agree are nutrient dense "healthy" foods, then they would likely have less room, but still some room, for the treats. They may still be cutting down on the portions or the types of calorie dense foods, but instead of focusing on the negative of restriction or "unhealthy" I wish we could all see that most people on Team Clean and Team Moderation are eating fairly similar diets, it is just the phrasing of how we describe our diets and the advice we give that differs.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes but you are still missing the point. Eating healthier is a product of the diet viewed as a whole, not it's individual pieces. Eating healthier does not mean (barring a medical condition) permanent elimination of certain foods. Many junk, crap, garbage and poison foods (as clean eaters would like to call them) can be included as part of a healthy diet. You really can eat whatever you want, just not as much as you want...

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of focusing on what we have to restrict or eliminate in order to improve our health, if we all just started advising people on things to add to their overall diet? If people start adding more of the lean meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dairy, all those things that I think most of us can implicitly agree are nutrient dense "healthy" foods, then they would likely have less room, but still some room, for the treats. They may still be cutting down on the portions or the types of calorie dense foods, but instead of focusing on the negative of restriction or "unhealthy" I wish we could all see that most people on Team Clean and Team Moderation are eating fairly similar diets, it is just the phrasing of how we describe our diets and the advice we give that differs.

Absolutely!

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    512 Pecan porter shake:

20140814_171919.jpg

Is 512 an Austin brewery?

Yup. This shake is from the Alamo Drafthouse, which also originates in Austin.

I love the Alamo! Hahaha... I was there in April and we caught a late screening of Half Baked on the 20th...

Austin is my 3rd favorite city in the country!

so what you're saying is when I go visit Austin in 2 weeks I need one of these Alamo Drafhouse things?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    512 Pecan porter shake:

20140814_171919.jpg

I love the Alamo! Hahaha... I was there in April and we caught a late screening of Half Baked on the 20th...

so what you're saying is when I go visit Austin in 2 weeks I need one of these Alamo Drafhouse things?
    Also Threadgill's and El Arroyo.

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    512 Pecan porter shake:

20140814_171919.jpg

Also Threadgill's and El Arroyo.

Omit visiting Jester King Brewery at your own risk.
    They make some awesome sour beers.

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/beers/

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    512 Pecan porter shake:

20140814_171919.jpg

It's a movie theater with good food, good beer, and people get kicked out if they talk or use cell phones.

I also highly recommend Bangers. They make their own sausage, and tons of beer available. The duck, fig, and bacon sausage was amazing.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's an example I encounter every week on this board. A newly diagnosed diabetic or pre-diabetic asks for a list of forbidden foods.

Doesn't work that way.

The diabetic lifestyle is all about balance, eating all foods in proportion to prevent energy spikes. Most people handle this without even thinking about it with their own pancreatic supplies of insulin. Diabetics must learn to manage this through diet, exercise, and medications if required. So all foods are in. Balanced. Proportioned. And regularly supplied.

Here's another example; fats. They're very high calorie but they also help along many bodily functions, and are carriers for our fat soluble vitamins. We must watch the fats because they can double or triple our calorie counts so easily, but they are also necessary. Are they good or bad? Healthy or unhealthy? False dichotomies. They fit, in context.

And a final analogy. We use keys, shoes and hammers in a given week. They all have a particular function, and are good at what they are designed to do. However, if we borrow a shoe to hammer in a nail, or hammer our way through a door, we might declare that the tool is "bad" for the task at hand. Or if we declare hammers (carbs) "bad" and we can function perfectly well without them (with a little extra effort and pre-planning) we've eliminated a very useful tool for no good reason.

Now I might have to take up beer. Is there a fruity girly beer that doesn't taste of hops?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Context matters.

For example, if we look up the definition of the word, "slag" we could get a fairly tame statement of: "stony waste matter separated from metals during the smelting or refining of ore."

On other hand, if you look up "slag" at Urban Dictionary, you'll get a very different definition.

As a term, "healthy" relies heavily on context. Describing the relative health of common foods without a context becomes problematic.

To me there is nothing particularly unhealthy about *an* oatmeal cookie. Thus, there is nothing particularly unhealthy about oatmeal cookies in general. If I randomly developed an allergy to oatmeal, I suspect my view would change, but I wouldn't expect anyone else's to also change with mine.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here's an example I encounter every week on this board. A newly diagnosed diabetic or pre-diabetic asks for a list of forbidden foods.

Doesn't work that way.

The diabetic lifestyle is all about balance, eating all foods in proportion to prevent energy spikes. Most people handle this without even thinking about it with their own pancreatic supplies of insulin. Diabetics must learn to manage this through diet, exercise, and medications if required. So all foods are in. Balanced. Proportioned. And regularly supplied.

Here's another example; fats. They're very high calorie but they also help along many bodily functions, and are carriers for our fat soluble vitamins. We must watch the fats because they can double or triple our calorie counts so easily, but they are also necessary. Are they good or bad? Healthy or unhealthy? False dichotomies. They fit, in context.

And a final analogy. We use keys, shoes and hammers in a given week. They all have a particular function, and are good at what they are designed to do. However, if we borrow a shoe to hammer in a nail, or hammer our way through a door, we might declare that the tool is "bad" for the task at hand. Or if we declare hammers (carbs) "bad" and we can function perfectly well without them (with a little extra effort and pre-planning) we've eliminated a very useful tool for no good reason.

Now I might have to take up beer. Is there a fruity girly beer that doesn't taste of hops?

100% agreed. The only "forbidden" foods are the ones we personally forbid, whether it's because of the food no longer being worth the calories (or, for me, the insulin I would need to take to cover it. I'm looking at you, regular soda), a medical reason to avoid it, or even a ridiculous reason like Mary Sue saying xyz foods cause fat gain. Most of the time, I view foods based off how they can meet my macronutrient and micronutrient goals -a piece of chocolate can certainly be "healthy" for me if it helps me meet my fat and iron goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    512 Pecan porter shake:

20140814_171919.jpg

It's a movie theater with good food, good beer, and people get kicked out if they talk or use cell phones.

I also highly recommend Bangers. They make their own sausage, and tons of beer available. The duck, fig, and bacon sausage was amazing.

oh well I won't have time for a movie theater unfortunately. I am there for a dance intensive- so I'm balls to the wall Saturday- Sunday- Monday. Show on Saturday night and I suspect I'm going to be super beat up from the workshop- but I'll see what I can do Friday night since I'm there with nothing to do.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    512 Pecan porter shake:

20140814_171919.jpg

Alamo also has all you can eat popcorn for like $6. We have one within a mile of my house.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Yes, this is what I think the best approach is, by far. The people who seem to have the most trouble are those who claim not to like "healthy foods" -- in other words, the ones not creating an overall healthy, balanced diet as the foundation, whatever they do about "treats." Arguing over whether one has "treats" or not or making it all about cutting things as, as if that were the key to health, seems to me to miss the forest for the trees. I often think people go on about cutting things out because that seems easier than trying to figure out what a healthy diet is (or how to create meals consistent with that).
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Yes, I have a personal short forbidden list, and I characterize them as "too expensive" calorie-wise. This includes poutine and a few forbidden restaurants (Carl's Jr., been to twice in the last three years, and Red Robin's).

I made a personal choice to be a food adventurist, and actively include new foods to try. I've been on this weight loss enterprise for three years now, and no way I could have made it if I hated the foods I was eating every day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Doesn't work that way.

Try Belgian.

Or Hacker Pschorr Weiss with a lemon.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @lemurcat12 , added to my bucket list.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Doesn't work that way.

Try Belgian.

Or Hacker Pschorr Weiss with a lemon.

Agreed. I also find berliner-weiss very drinkable, and it's ever so slightly sour. I've turned several of my friends onto it as a style.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    512 Pecan porter shake:

20140814_171919.jpg

oh well I won't have time for a movie theater unfortunately. I am there for a dance intensive- so I'm balls to the wall Saturday- Sunday- Monday. Show on Saturday night and I suspect I'm going to be super beat up from the workshop- but I'll see what I can do Friday night since I'm there with nothing to do.

There's a great pizza place called Home Slice on South Congress, just outside of downtown Austin. You can get some slices, grab a beer (good beer, too) and sit outside. ****ing awesome. My buddy runs the joint.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    People are passionate about their foods, you say something about one of their favorites you may as well say something about their momma. And if you even look at cornbread wrong I will hunt you down like a scurvy dog! ;-)
    The main things to take in here is that in moderation you can have a little of anything you want, and don’t worry about what others are saying. So with that said don’t worry about anything I just said.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    litsy3 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    MFP has a... thing about this. I have never seen a diet and fitness site like this before. People get criticized for avoiding excess sugar, junk food, highly processed items, etc. I may very occasionally permit myself such an item, but I'm not going to pretend it's *healthy* AKA high in nutrients, because it isn't! Folks will equate the "processing" of placing fruit or vegetables in a bag with the processing of mashing things to a pulp, adding a ton of preservatives, artificial flavors and salt, and frying it. To avoid criticism, the only thing to do is to eat healthy for your own sake but never mention it anywhere but on your own home page. *smh*

Exactly how I see many on MFP

Just learn to ignore them.

The conversations defending eating those junk foods just don't happen at the gym.

You should come to my running club track sessions - we're all amazing home bakers and sometimes we bring cookies and cake for after training. :) The junior track coach gave me an amazing recipe for strawberry crumble the other day.

In my opinion, 'high in nutrients' is important for health if you're restricting calories, because if you're not eating much you have to make what you do eat count. If you're very active (like some people at the gym, perhaps), you're probably eating a lot more food and some of it can easily be cookies, as you're still getting all the other nutrients you need elsewhere in your diet.

Yeah, almost every group bike or run around here ends up intentionally at brunch or a bakery. Same with many of my tri club workouts.

It is true people generally don't waste time "defending" what they are eating, because there's no need to.

Yeah, there's a bike club (serious riders in great shape, too!) around here that starts and ends every Tuesday night at a bar on the outside of town. They ride for awhile, then come back and have drinks and eat BBQ. My kind of club!