I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lovellm122 wrote: »
    I stated they had butter, white sugar, flour, chocolate chips, ect.
    I consider all these things unhealthy.
    But a couple of people say everything is healthy.
    Is my wording wrong?
    What would be unhealthy to those people in a cookie?

BTW - I like to eat in volumes.
    I have never been able to do portion control in my entire life.
    Oatmeal is a food I can eat and be full and be happy without guilt.

I always get blasted also when i mention 'clean' eating and avoiding stuff like you mention. Seems everyone loves IIFYM (which i think is rubbish)

so....

Breakfast:
    1/2 cup homemade pinto beans with a couple of eggs scrambled and some grilled chicken thighs, low sodium V8 and some coffee

Snack:
    3 ounces blue berries

Lunch:
    6 ounces shredded chicken with homemade salsa fresca, 1/2 avocado, 1 cup pinto beans and 4 ounces steamed broccoli

Snack:
    1 nectarine and 1 ounces almonds, & whey protein supplement

Dinner:
    6 ounces grilled cod, steamed brown rice, sauteed mushrooms and asparagus; 2 glasses wine

Desert:
    2 of my wife's homemade chocolate chip cookies...

so in the context of my overall diet...my chocolate chip cookies @ desert are somehow a detriment? I think your logic is rubbish...

BTW...pretty fit guy here sitting at around 12% BF....

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Is my wording wrong?

I always get blasted also when i mention 'clean' eating and avoiding stuff like you mention. Seems everyone loves IIFYM (which i think is rubbish)

So you don't know what IIFYM is? That's what I am getting....
  • lovellm122
    lovellm122 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    LOL. I'm not gonna get deep into it guys. If you wanna follow that system and it works well for you's and your happy then carry on making the great progress :smile: .... My personal opinion is that we should try and achieve our daily calorie limit and macros from the 'healthiest' sources of produce. Whats better for your body, heart, overall wellbeing, getting your macros from skinless chicken, tuna, spinach, salad, turkey, beets, broccoli; or cake, pizza, chocolate, cheese burgers, pop tarts etc? Its just my belief and its worked more than well for me. dropped 49 pounds of fat within the last 5 months and put 7 pounds of muscle on. I just dont believe in IIFYM or cheat meals and stuff like that. But if it works well for ppl and they are happy then carry on :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Is my wording wrong?

Do you even understand how IIFYM works?? Basically 80 to 90% healthy and 10 to 20% treats, etc.
  • lovellm122
    Options
    20% treats isnt for me lol
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2015
    Options
    LOL. I'm not gonna get deep into it guys. If you wanna follow that system and it works well for you's and your happy then carry on making the great progress :smile: .... My personal opinion is that we should try and achieve our daily calorie limit and macros from the 'healthiest' sources of produce. Whats better for your body, heart, overall wellbeing, getting your macros from skinless chicken, tuna, spinach, salad, turkey, beets, broccoli; or cake, pizza, chocolate, cheese burgers, pop tarts etc? Its just my belief and its worked more than well for me. dropped 49 pounds of fat within the last 5 months and put 7 pounds of muscle on. I just dont believe in IIFYM or cheat meals and stuff like that. But if it works well for ppl and they are happy then carry on :)

so what you're saying...is that you actually have no fecking clue what you're talking about.....gotcha.

maybe you get blasted because you run your trap without actually knowing what you're talking about...just a thought.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

so what you're saying...is that you actually have no fecking clue what you're talking about.....gotcha.
    This.

• Hornsby
    Options
    dropped 49 pounds of fat within the last 5 months and put 7 pounds of muscle on.

Good numbers. I surpassed those numbers in 5 months eating IIFYM...

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Love the high and mighty attitude. /sarcasm

Lost 121 pounds basically doing the IIFYM. Reverse my heart disease doing so and have excellent blood work.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

If you believe in hitting your macros from "healthy" food sources then you're still following IIFYM.
  • Hornsby
    Options

If you believe in hitting your macros from "healthy" food sources then you're still following IIFYM.

Shhhhh, he has already pretty much admitted without admitting that he doesn't actually get it...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

maybe you get blasted because you run your trap without actually knowing what you're talking about...just a thought.

Yep, that's what I'm getting.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Is my wording wrong?

Do you even understand how IIFYM works?? Basically 80 to 90% healthy and 10 to 20% treats, etc.

20% treats isnt for me lol

I follow IIFYM and I don't eat 20% treats. I rarely have a treat (except my one glass of wine in the evening). The beauty of IIFYM is that you eat however you feel the best, as long as your hit your macro targets. I choose to do it with mostly (probably 95%) nutrient dense whole foods. When i reach my goal and go into maintenance, I probably will be able to work more treats in. Of course for me, treats include things like nuts, peanut butter, etc.

• lovellm122
    Options
    1) Honestly didnt intend/feel 'high might attitude. /sarcasm'. Was being genuine and honest.
    2) Didnt mean to rustle any jimmies. (Ya dont have to act hard)
    3) 'I surpassed those numbers', well done (srs)
    4) The info i got on IIFYM was from the shredded 200 pound+ guys
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    1) Honestly didnt intend/feel 'high might attitude. /sarcasm'. Was being genuine and honest.

I don't think your intent matters in the least. The fact is you think differently than they so naturally your way is totally wrong and you must have a good ol' beat down until you surrender and think like them! :smile:
  • diannethegeek
    Options

I don't think your intent matters in the least. The fact is you think differently than they so naturally your way is totally wrong and you must have a good ol' beat down until you surrender and think like them! :smile:

That's just a wee bit hyperbolic, isn't it?
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Hahahaha sure, whatever you say! lol
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2015
    Options

IIFYM doesn't mean just eat a bunch of *kitten*...you'd never hit any kind of respectable macro ratio if you did...any diet plan can be IIFYM...if you low carb and you're tryiing to hit a specific macro breakdown, guess what? That's IIFYM.

People use the concept in a variety of ways...most people who advocate for IIFYM eat very healthfully...they're just not afraid of having a cookie for desert and don't tend to demonize foods or groups of foods.

also, when speaking of matters of nutrition and fitness, context is very important...
  • lovellm122
    edited August 2015
    Options

I got their system wrong; my view on it was not correct. They decided to tell me by acting hard and using insults. funny how ppl talk to each other on the internet and completely different in real life.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

Hahahaha sure, whatever you say! lol

Do you honestly believe that my response about IIFYM was equivalent to a "beat down"? I agree that sometimes things get over the top around here, but I don't think that equating it with physical violence helps to calm anything down. But then, I guess that maybe that's not your intent.