I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lovellm122 wrote: »
    1) Honestly didnt intend/feel 'high might attitude. /sarcasm'. Was being genuine and honest.
    2) Didnt mean to rustle any jimmies. (Ya dont have to act hard)
    3) 'I surpassed those numbers', well done (srs)
    4) The info i got on IIFYM was from the shredded 200 pound+ guys

I don't think your intent matters in the least. The fact is you think differently than they so naturally your way is totally wrong and you must have a good ol' beat down until you surrender and think like them! :smile:

I'm pretty much a whole foods advocate and don't eat much in the way of typical junk...it's still IIFYM...the problem is complete ignorance of the term and concept...thanks for playing though.

most people would consider my diet to be pretty "clean" certainly by SAD standards...tracking your macros has nothing to do with that...you can low carb and still track your macros....you can eat "clean" and still manage your macros...you can do any dietary plan imaginable and still manage your macros...which would be IIFYM...

again...ignorance.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Curious if my volume suggestions were helpful at all.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    1) Honestly didnt intend/feel 'high might attitude. /sarcasm'. Was being genuine and honest.

I don't think your intent matters in the least. The fact is you think differently than they so naturally your way is totally wrong and you must have a good ol' beat down until you surrender and think like them! :smile:

I got their system wrong; my view on it was not correct. They decided to tell me by acting hard and using insults. funny how ppl talk to each other on the internet and completely different in real life.

you should start one of those mean people threads...that would be epic...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I got their system wrong; my view on it was not correct. They decided to tell me by acting hard and using insults. funny how ppl talk to each other on the internet and completely different in real life.

Hush, you. It's not Friday.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LOL. I'm not gonna get deep into it guys. If you wanna follow that system and it works well for you's and your happy then carry on making the great progress :smile: .... My personal opinion is that we should try and achieve our daily calorie limit and macros from the 'healthiest' sources of produce. Whats better for your body, heart, overall wellbeing, getting your macros from skinless chicken, tuna, spinach, salad, turkey, beets, broccoli; or cake, pizza, chocolate, cheese burgers, pop tarts etc? Its just my belief and its worked more than well for me. dropped 49 pounds of fat within the last 5 months and put 7 pounds of muscle on. I just dont believe in IIFYM or cheat meals and stuff like that. But if it works well for ppl and they are happy then carry on :)

IIFYM just means that you focus on getting your macros and micros. If you also want to go beyond that and get the macros solely from nutrient dense foods, that's not inconsistent with IIFYM. Personally, I have my own rules, like that I eat lots of vegetables with every meal (unless there's some reason I cannot). This is not required for IIFYM, but it's not inconsistent with it.

Similarly, as I understand "clean eating," it doesn't mean getting the most nutritious foods you can, but avoiding "processed" foods. Some quite nutritious foods (smoked salmon, as that's one I use to meet my protein macro by including it at breakfast) are processed. Indeed, a "clean eater" who is honest should eschew the boneless skinless chicken breast for whole chicken, as that's much less processed.

(I also like it better, but I eat both.)

Anyway, your "what's better" is a false dichotomy, as few people do one or the other (if you prefer to, that's great, I simply will not agree it's more healthy than including some lower nutrient extras too). I try to mostly focus on nutrient dense foods, but I usually have extra calories and while I sometimes use them for fruit or more fish, I also sometimes use them for cheese or ice cream or high quality chocolate, and see no reason why that would make my diet less healthy.

However, I obviously don't think others need to make the same choices I do. That's never the point of this and anyone claiming it is would be lying.
  • lovellm122
    lovellm122 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Nah man, its cool. Internet chit doesnt bother me at all, I dont know why ppl get mad on the net (brings the LOLs). Just always find it funny how ppl talk to each other like chit. If i would have talked to you in real life about it you would have most likely informed me that i was wrong and told me the correct meanings of the system. I dont recon you would have acted like the big man lol.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to my macros to make sure I get enough protein. I also avoid foods like margarine when I can eat more 'natural' ones like butter, but that's mainly due to personal taste. But I really came back here to say this thread has actually made me bake oatmeal cookies.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Hush, you. It's not Friday.

my bad...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Nah man, its cool. Internet chit doesnt bother me at all, I dont know why ppl get mad on the net (brings the LOLs). Just always find it funny how ppl talk to each other like chit. If i would have talked to you in real life about it you would have most likely informed me that i was wrong and told me the correct meanings of the system. I dont recon you would have acted like the big man lol.

I don't think that would have happened if you would have went up to someone and told him what he does is rubbish without knowing what he even does.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Oh, MFP, never change.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Moving on, what oatmeal cookie recipes do you guys use? I now want to make some and I don't have a good recipe. I like chewy/soft cookies.

No banana or applesauce.

In for recipes as well! ;)
  • cwolfman13
    Options

yeah, I'm sure if you told me face to face that what I do is rubbish I'd totally be a really nice guy about it...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgfryWqSxfvkjLcj-zQYiBxjgZy9-rWwUeVB5VWU1NjX5E3CoG5uHwQ9Sa
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Moving on, what oatmeal cookie recipes do you guys use? I now want to make some and I don't have a good recipe. I like chewy/soft cookies.

No banana or applesauce.

Use the tears of those the mean posters have "acted hard" with.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    food cannot be healthy it cannot have a state of being. well or ill It can be more healthful in terms of nutrients, but food is not black and white. Sugar supply calories, flour supplies b vitamins, protein, and carbohydrates, raisins provide iron, oatmeal fiber, chocolate excellent source of Mg, butter fatty acids even the antivral like butyric acid. You combine that it provides a great source of our macronutrients and some of the micronutrients we need in a day.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    food cannot be healthy it cannot have a state of being. well or ill It can be more healthful in terms of nutrients, but food is not black and white. Sugar supply calories, flour supplies b vitamins, protein, and carbohydrates, raisins provide iron, oatmeal fiber, chocolate excellent source of Mg, butter fatty acids even the antivral like butyric acid. You combine that it provides a great source of our macronutrients and some of the micronutrients we need in a day.

Get outta here with that rational analysis nonsense and that healthy relationship with food. What kind of place do you think this is?!?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

No banana or applesauce.
    i use this one because I'm lazy about weighing out everything in my regular oatmeal cookie recipe:
    Eng_CookieMix-OatmealChocChunk-08.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

No banana or applesauce.

I completely bastardized this recipe into oatmeal white chocolate raspberry cookies: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/award-winning-soft-chocolate-chip-cookies/detail.aspx

I replaced half the flour with ground oatmeal, subbed white chocolate for chocolate chips, and left out the nuts and added raspberries. They were overly soft, so it will require some tweaking.