I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Moving on, what oatmeal cookie recipes do you guys use? I now want to make some and I don't have a good recipe. I like chewy/soft cookies.

No banana or applesauce.
    This is the best oatmeal raisin cookie I have ever made/eaten. Every time I bring these somewhere, they get destroyed.

If this is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    food cannot be healthy it cannot have a state of being. well or ill It can be more healthful in terms of nutrients, but food is not black and white. Sugar supply calories, flour supplies b vitamins, protein, and carbohydrates, raisins provide iron, oatmeal fiber, chocolate excellent source of Mg, butter fatty acids even the antivral like butyric acid. You combine that it provides a great source of our macronutrients and some of the micronutrients we need in a day.

Get outta here with that rational analysis nonsense and that healthy relationship with food. What kind of place do you think this is?!?

Youre right cookies bad, evil and demonic and broccoli is the Messiah of food oh hail broccoli

That's better, but I don't see anything in there about coworkers trying to sabotage your diet. Try harder next time!
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    food cannot be healthy it cannot have a state of being. well or ill It can be more healthful in terms of nutrients, but food is not black and white. Sugar supply calories, flour supplies b vitamins, protein, and carbohydrates, raisins provide iron, oatmeal fiber, chocolate excellent source of Mg, butter fatty acids even the antivral like butyric acid. You combine that it provides a great source of our macronutrients and some of the micronutrients we need in a day.

Get outta here with that rational analysis nonsense and that bull**** healthy relationship with food. What kind of place do you think this is?!?

Youre right cookies bad, evil and demonic and broccoli is the Messiah of food oh hail broccoli

Broccoli? When the hell did we change to broccoli?

Granted, if we're all on the broccoli bandwagon now, I'll take all of it, roasted with garlic and olive oil, thank you! :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Get outta here with that rational analysis nonsense and that bull**** healthy relationship with food. What kind of place do you think this is?!?

Broccoli? When the hell did we change to broccoli?

Granted, if we're all on the broccoli bandwagon now, I'll take all of it, roasted with garlic and olive oil, thank you! :laugh:

Um you know olive oil has fat in it right? Remember Susan Powers from the 90's fat makes you fat! Good job making broccoli sin.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I want to go back to cookies. This is my favorite cookie recipe with the sole exception that I put only 1 cup of white chocolate chips and a whole cup of cranberries and pretzels.

http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/white-chocolate-cranberry-pretzel-cookies-jumbles/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I want to go back to cookies. This is my favorite cookie recipe with the sole exception that I put only 1 cup of white chocolate chips and a whole cup of cranberries and pretzels.

http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/white-chocolate-cranberry-pretzel-cookies-jumbles/

Those are definitely going on the todo list!
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »
    The only way cookies are "unhealthy" is if you eat 5 pounds of them.

Have you ever actually tried to eat 5 lbs. of cookies? If not, then I'll go ahead and share the problem... you get a gallon bucket of cookies and you start eating them. After about 20 min. of eating cookies, you find that you are pretty close to "the bottom of the barrel" (or bucket technically) and the cookies on the bottom are crumbled. So you try to eat pieces of cookies... that works for a bit until you realize that the pieces get smaller as you keep going. Now all you can do to eat them is scoop them up with a spoon. That isn't very fun, so you come up with an idea... if you can just find some ice cream, you can use these cookies as a topping. But then you find ice cream and realize that it is easier to just dump ice cream in the bucket with the cookie crumbs and mix this up. But there are so many crumbs and the consistency is wrong... so before you realize it, you have not only eaten 5 lbs. of cookies, but also half a gallon of ice cream. You think... I could handle the cookies, but now with the ice cream, I feel like a "fatty." And you have self-hate. But the cookies were delicious before you got to the crumbs.
    Thank you. That was LOL funny.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Great job guys. Now I've switched from moderation to a cookie monster and it's all your fault. Stupid cookie conversation. WHY DO YOU ALL TRY TO SABOTAGE MY DIET?!?!?!?
  • enterdanger
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Those are definitely going on the todo list!

they actually freeze great as a dough too. I was worried that pretzels would taste stale once you bake the dough if you freeze, but they were totally fine. I like to freeze a big batch of dough in little balls so I can cook them fresh upon request. Also, that helps so I don't have 3 dozen cookies at a sitting.

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options

White chocolate chips, cranberries, AND pretzels?!? These sound phenomenal.
  • enterdanger
    Options
    those cookies are life changing. fo real
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Anyone mind if I switch from cookies to oatmeal pancakes? I swap chocolate chips for the raisins in this recipe: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/quick-oatmeal-raisin-pancakes
  • loeylovesyou
    loeylovesyou Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can't call a food good or bad... It's different for each person and what their health goals are.
    Sure cookies include flour, sugar, butter, etc. and yes in the wrong portions all of these ingredients can be 'bad' for you, but it's all about the portion size and how often you are consuming it.
    My daily goal includes 45% carbs, 35% protein and 20% sugar. If I choose to have a cookie I know I'm consuming carbs and sugar, but those are not things I CAN'T have.. They are things I need to have in portions...
    Don't beat yourself up over a cookie... Being that you have issues with portion control, I'd say stay away from the cookies, but if you can get yourself to commit to just one once in a while then I don't see anything wrong with that :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have an oatmeal protein pancake that has replaced our regular recipe. It includes oatmeal flour, pumpkin puree, and protein powder. We have it with Greek Yogurt and fruit.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have an oatmeal protein pancake that has replaced our regular recipe. It includes oatmeal flour, pumpkin puree, and protein powder. We have it with Greek Yogurt and fruit.

I would love that recipe if you are willing to share it!

I have a whole can of pumpkin puree at home and I was trying to decide what to do with it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It can be more healthful in terms of nutrients, but food is not black and white. S

Oh yeah??? What about THIS!? That looks pretty black and white to me!

tumblr_inline_mkfd7147bQ1qz4rgp.jpg

• WinoGelato
    Options
    acheben wrote: »

White chocolate chips, cranberries, AND pretzels?!? These sound phenomenal.

+1.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Great job guys. Now I've switched from moderation to a cookie monster and it's all your fault. Stupid cookie conversation. WHY DO YOU ALL TRY TO SABOTAGE MY DIET?!?!?!?

I know a guy who has an amazing cleanse you should try.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    I pinned all those recipes. So glad this thread turned into something useful!

Can't believe no one mentioned monster cookies...

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/05/07/monster-cookies/

Those are my favorite oatmeal cookies and with the peanut butter, it almost qualifies as HEALTHY!