"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."-Kate Moss

Options

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    What is your opinion on this controversial quote? It was on my Pinterest newsfeed today and just got me thinking. I must say being -34lbs feels pretty darn good. I am in no way skinny and I probably will never be. Even as a very overweight person I don't really understand the hate for this quote. I find it true. Maybe because she used "skinny" vs healthy or some other word? The only argument I have against this quote is bacon. Bacon tastes pretty damn good.

It's just a poetic way of saying, I'm willing to give up food I like to be skinny. But it doesn't really make sense. It is sort of like saying, nothing gets you to Chicago like a cup of coffee wakes you up in the morning. But also, there's no reason why one can't be skinny and eat food they like too, as long as they eat in moderation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    People keep saying 'food DOES taste better than skinny feels' or 'I can't imagine living life not eating all the good yummy things' but that to me is not at all what the quote is saying.
    I don't think of the quote as saying don't eat anything yummy or don't enjoy food. To me it just says that if what you're eating isn't going to help you to get/remain fit/slim/thin/healthy, then it isn't worth it. So yes, you can have your pie and eat it to, but you can't eat the whole dang pie, unless you're fitting it into your calories.
    If people on this site truly thought food does taste better than being fit/slim/thin/healthy then no one on here would be losing weight. People ARE choosing fit/slim/thin/healthy over food.

actually, I eat to train...and that often requires a great deal of food.

What's your point. I said you can eat anything you want if it fits in your calories. And most people here are trying to lose weight so they HAVE to eat below their TDEE to do so and considering they got over weight by eating more than their TDEE then they have to chose to not do that.

the relationship and what's going on in the head...

to me, the quote insinuates a *kitten* relationship with food, particularly as when Kate Moss said it, she pretty much was looking anorexic and probably was/is...she certainly wasn't eating to train or improve or be healthy...she was pretty much starving herself...

that's the point...thanks for asking.

You're twisting the quote into what you want to hear, and I'm twisting it into what I want to hear. That's all that happening.

how am I twisting anything when it is coming from someone who very obviously has/had an ED by all appearances?

33_katemoss-800x576.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPB1MWQWEaM6trRWz4YPwy3dxltHTowDzk817miHg2c_djr3ai

perhaps we should all give t-shirts to our young daughters and nieces, etc with this quote...being how it's so motivational and positive and so obviously represents a healthy mindset...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTj_aphIeXXONibyAVaWX_UT28tykYKNDrd-pDioUB52luo97y
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    &h=294&w=420&tbnid=-c6Q5cpuaZbL0M:&docid=6nmxf8_yvfQoAM&hl=en&ei=ElXXVd7jJpDKoASOu5LgAw&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CC8QMygSMBJqFQoTCN607q7PuscCFRAliAodjp0EPA
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I think the statement itself is probably true. I think the fact that it was Kate Moss, the poster child for "heroin-chic", that said it is what made it controversial......

OMG I LOVE your profile photo!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    The quote doesn't bother me as it pretty much resonates with my experience. If I am choosing something delicious over my goals i.e, eating without considering the long term consequences, this is the sort of thing I say to myself.

To my ear it is not saying that you never get to eat anything delicious, it is saying that if the delicious thing is outside of what you are able to eat that day and is taking you away from your goals it is not worth it, no matter how yummy it is. That sounds quite sensible to me.

Yes, this is what it sounds like to me. When I used to hear it decades ago, it always seemed to be in the context of giving overweight emotional/comfort eaters motivation to stick with their goals, rather than eating ALL the food, ALL the time. It wasn't saying you could NEVER have anything tasty.

And thanks to everyone who posted Wallis Simpson as the source of the "never too rich, never too thin" quote -- I didn't know who it was, but it certainly sounds like her.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Beyond the fact that I dislike the word "skinny" (it must makes me think of a bag of bones with no muscle and little BF...a very unhealthy look), the quote itself insinuates that being skinny is the ultimate and that one should not take any pleasure in food...and probably should really be going hungry...at least that's my interpretation.

The fact is that you can get healthy and fit and lean and still eat well and healthfully and still enjoy food, etc...IMO, this quote basically illustrates to me, a *kitten* relationship with food...which isn't healthy...and I'm all about healthy.

I don't take it that way. I take as inspiration for all the many people who post here saying things like, "I ate all my calories, but it's nighttime and I want the donut!"

Like, what do you want more: Thin or Donut?

The donut won't taste as good as being thin will feel.

I think when people add stuff in, like "OMG, if you like the quote, that makes you anorexic and means you cannot enjoy food!" then it would make sense to dislike it. It just comes down to how you take it, I guess.

I like the quote, am not anorexic and still like the taste of my food.

This is how I interpret that quote.

I can see how pro-ana groups (or even Kate Moss) can twist it to mean something else, but that's not the interpretation that pops in my head when I hear it.

Also, add me to the list of people who thinks "skinny" is just another word for "thin" or "slim". To me, anyone in a normal body fat % is skinny. That's just the connotation the word has always had for me.

100% agree!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Don't like the word skinny. I'll trade it for fit any day. You can eat what you want and lose weight and get fit.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I was skinny at one time..........................hated it. So I ate a lot of stuff that tasted great and got the body I wanted.
    My opinion of the quote is it's basically stating people can't eat "bad" stuff and stay lean.........................which is totally untrue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

QFT
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    To many skinny haters. I like the quote.

Skinny haters? That quite a judgment. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I'd rather have Kate Moss's quote then the ridiculousness coming out of the FA movement...

Wow. One extreme for another? Please clarify your statement.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    People keep saying 'food DOES taste better than skinny feels' or 'I can't imagine living life not eating all the good yummy things' but that to me is not at all what the quote is saying.
    I don't think of the quote as saying don't eat anything yummy or don't enjoy food. To me it just says that if what you're eating isn't going to help you to get/remain fit/slim/thin/healthy, then it isn't worth it. So yes, you can have your pie and eat it to, but you can't eat the whole dang pie, unless you're fitting it into your calories.
    If people on this site truly thought food does taste better than being fit/slim/thin/healthy then no one on here would be losing weight. People ARE choosing fit/slim/thin/healthy over food.

Yeah, totally. We are making the choice every day. We are NOT eating all the foods, we are absolutely saying no to some of them, or parts of the portions of them.

If it really was a food vs slim issue and you chose the food (for those who think that), how about this scenario? A fairy says she can wave her wand and you can have what you want instantly. You can either have a) a giant plate of donuts (or your delicious food of choice) or b) you can instantly be your goal weight.

Are you folks saying you would choose the doughnuts? Really??

Every day we make that choice and we are our own genie. The difference is that the change happens over months and years instead of instantly, when we choose our health over the food.

"Every day we make that choice and we are our own genie." I like that.

I'm far from skinny, or thin, or slim, or slender. I'm on the upper end of the overweight range according to BMI charts. And I still eat pizza (I'll be having some for lunch), ice cream, chocolate, peanut butter, etc. I love food. But nothing tastes as good as no longer being severely obese feels. Nothing tastes as good as running and dancing and lifting feels. Nothing tastes as good as experiencing DOMS instead of back pain from too much weight and too little movement feels. So I'll fit those tasty foods into my daily goals when I can, and I'll have days when I decide to eat up to maintenance, and even days when I decide I'm going to eat whatever I want (and, rarely, not even log), but I know that those exceptions can't be the rule, and I have to go back to the routine of only eating what I can fit within my goals.

Eating ALL the food ALL the time does not taste as good as not being obese feels.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

What's your point. I said you can eat anything you want if it fits in your calories. And most people here are trying to lose weight so they HAVE to eat below their TDEE to do so and considering they got over weight by eating more than their TDEE then they have to chose to not do that.

to me, the quote insinuates a *kitten* relationship with food, particularly as when Kate Moss said it, she pretty much was looking anorexic and probably was/is...she certainly wasn't eating to train or improve or be healthy...she was pretty much starving herself...

You're twisting the quote into what you want to hear, and I'm twisting it into what I want to hear. That's all that happening.

how am I twisting anything when it is coming from someone who very obviously has/had an ED by all appearances?

perhaps we should all give t-shirts to our young daughters and nieces, etc with this quote...being how it's so motivational and positive and so obviously represents a healthy mindset...
    There is a huge difference between liking the quote and wanting young girls to think that Kate Moss is sensible or healthy.

I would, of course, discuss with any young girls how stupid those models and actresses are being when they starve themselves. I have done that.

I still like the quote.

Liking the quote doesn't support starvation or make anyone anorexic.

So what if anorexics like the quote? Anorexics frequently eat junk food in place of healthy food, especially when they "binge." That doesn't make everyone who has a Twinkie anorexic. They lie in bed a lot because they have no energy. That doesn't make everyone who goes to bed anorexic. They breathe, too.

I don't want to eat like an anorexic, but I also don't stop doing or liking something just because they do or like it.

Also, I'd bet my life that there are anorexics who don't like the quote.
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2015
    Options

33_katemoss-800x576.jpg

There is a huge difference between liking the quote and wanting young girls to think that Kate Moss is sensible or healthy.

I would, of course, discuss with any young girls how stupid those models and actresses are being when they starve themselves. I have done that.

I still like the quote.

So what if anorexics like the quote? Anorexics frequently eat junk food in place of healthy food, especially when they "binge." That doesn't make everyone who has a Twinkie anorexic. They lie in bed a lot because they have no energy. That doesn't make everyone who goes to bed anorexic. They breathe, too.

I don't want to eat like an anorexic, but is also don't stop doing or liking something just because they do or like it.

So take Kate Moss out of it...

You would be down with letting your young daughter, niece, other young girl/woman you care about wear that shirt then? That would be totally acceptable...

Man...people on this sight get more disturbed and just plain fecking sick every day...

you know, the swastika used to be a sacred and positive symbol too...*kitten* changes...
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

33_katemoss-800x576.jpg

I still like the quote.

I don't want to eat like an anorexic, but is also don't stop doing or liking something just because they do or like it.

You would be down with letting your young daughter, niece, other young girl/woman you care about wear that shirt then?

There are a lot of quotes that are good/helpful to adults that shouldn't be on a child's shirt. Doesn't mean they aren't good quotes for people who are old enough to reason through them properly.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

33_katemoss-800x576.jpg

I still like the quote.

You would be down with letting your young daughter, niece, other young girl/woman you care about wear that shirt then?

There are a lot of quotes that are good/helpful to adults that shouldn't be on a child's shirt. Doesn't mean they aren't good quotes for people who are old enough to reason through them properly.

So you'd be proud to sport that shirt out and about then I take it?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

33_katemoss-800x576.jpg

I still like the quote.

You would be down with letting your young daughter, niece, other young girl/woman you care about wear that shirt then? That would be totally acceptable...

Man...people on this sight get more disturbed and just plain fecking sick every day...

This is not something I've come across. I don't think girls are begging to wear those shirts, especially little ones, like you picked. It's really a non-issue.

Furthermore, there are many things I enjoy as an adult that I wouldn't recommend for children.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

33_katemoss-800x576.jpg

I still like the quote.

So you'd be proud to sport that shirt out and about then I take it?

I'm not big into fitness quotes/inspirational pic things. It's not my jam, I don't find inspiration from them, but some people do and I certainly wouldn't be apposed to them wearing the shirt if that quote inspired them to make better choices to get closer to their goal.
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2015
    Options

33_katemoss-800x576.jpg

I still like the quote.

This is not something I've come across. I don't think girls are begging to wear those shirts, especially little ones, like you picked. It's really a non-issue.

Furthermore, there are many things I enjoy as an adult that I wouldn't recommend for children.

there are many young girls with eating disorders way too many, why?...The shirt is just a symbol of the underlying issue...many of our young girls are being taught exactly this kind of *kitten*, from media yes...but also their mothers, sisters, aunts, etc...other people with just such disordered thinking.

srsly...you can't be that dense.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I love fitness quotes! Here's more: http://imgur.com/gallery/i0Wt7