2390 to lose 2lbs/week seems WAY too high...imo

Options
1235»

Replies

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm a big guy - about 330 lbs. I set my goals in MFP to lose 1-2 pounds per week and it says I should eat around 2500 calories to do that. I average between 2200 and 2500 and have been losing about 2 pounds per week. I'm not overly active most days (just walking). It seems to work so I'm gonna keep at it. I can't imagine trying to live on 1200 calories. For starters I'd probably find it not sustainable and end up going berserk in a few days. Just some advice from a big guy - take it or leave it. Like most have said - you can always change it back if you find it isn't working for you. Good luck on your journey and kudos to you for being interested in bettering yourself!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I guess it's understandable that obese people have a hard time believing not how little they can eat and lose weight but how much they can eat and still lose weight.

I think that's because the vast majority of people have little to no accurate idea of how many calories they were eating before they start calorie counting. If anyone's ever watched "Secret Eaters" the subjects routinely report estimated intakes of 2,000 or so calories when in reality they are taking in 4,000 calories or so.

So if you think your baseline is 2,000 cals per day to maintain weight then you're going to be baffled if your calculation gives a higher figure for projected weight loss. This is compounded by messages that dieting involves immense struggle or deprivation or the "go hard or go home" nonsense.

Let's take a sedentary person weighing 300 lbs. As a rough estimate their TDEE will be around 3,600 (300 x 12) To lose 2lbs a week, without doing a stroke of exercise, they can be eating around 2,600 calories per day (with the caveat that they are accurately logging). Will they believe it though?

Probably not...

Edited: typos
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Reads OP

Sighs

Tuts

I thought you closed your diary because you didn't want people pointing out how crazy and detrimental to your health your VLCD (for your gender and weight) eating patterns were

Wassamatter? Not enough attention?

Spot on. Look at previous threads.
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The question is could really eat everything I ate last night +400cals,and still lose 2lbs a week?? Seems a bit much
    Maybe stop being so irrational.

..what??
    "Feels." "Seems." "Insane." You're just emoting.

It's math. It's rational. Follow it or don't. How you feel about reality matters not one iota to reality. If you eat at a 1000 calorie per day deficit, you'll lose about two pounds per week over time. It's not a difficult concept. You're not a special snowflake.

If you want to rationalize eating less, feel free. That doesn't the accuracy of the math.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    And besides it all he works 10 hours a day people

Worries about some mash potatoes, thinks MFP estimates are to high, has multiple "red flag" threads
    And keeps coming back with his 1200 eating diet
    and believe me when his diary was open...there were lots and lots of days he didn't eat even a 1000 calories.

Some will say you have to discuss or talk and support him to help him with this. But i am NOT the sugar coating kinda girl.
    He needs professional help with what he is doing. For his mind and his diet.

Sad part is, he is the proto type of people who fall off the wagon and eat every single pound back, just because they denied their body far to much far to long.
    Also sad is, that with eating 2000 calories he also will lose 2 pounds a month.

And sure enough the 800 ( yes he has days of 800 we all saw it) to 1200 calories he eats wont kill him, But will damage his body for the longer term
    Hair loss in some months and nails. Muscle loss ( an your organs are muscles too) your heart is a muscle..And guess when the body starts wanting its needs what is the first thing it does...were the most nutrition is going too is the first they take it away from...the heart.
    But this is all besides the other "little" damages ..that are NOT going to be repaired when you start eating normal again. The damage will be done
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    And you have to wonder about professional support by two doctors ( one is his mom he said before)
    That he opens all these threads

I have medical support, and when i have a question i phone or mail the office. Straight away.
    And i must say i dont have a lot of questions for here in the forum left, they always get answered...by professionals.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Dude, it's math, not magic. If you type 2+2= into a calculator, it's going to say 4. It doesn't care how you FEEL about the numbers, it's going to take your inputs and give you an output. That's all MFP is doing. You can choose to ignore it all you want, but that doesn't change the math.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    brdnw wrote: »
    brdnw wrote: »
    i just don't understand why you're eating pizza, ranch dressing and liquor while trying to lose weight. Doesn't seem very dedicated to me.

Because....why not?

bc he clearly got fat from over drinking, eating pizza and eating ranch dressing. Those are very calorie dense items. I'd much rather eat chicken, vegetables, etc..and consume 1\3 of the calories and get my protein/nutritional needs. That's how i lost 90lbs (which really is much more lost considering the muscle mass i gained).

Ahh, okay. I didn't know you knew him personally and the reasons he was overweight. My apologies.

That's great that you would rather eat chicken/vegetables/etc... that's great that YOU want to go about it that way. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with someone going about it a different way.

If eating pizza makes you look as hawt as you do... I'm all in! ;)

No kidding. I'm down with that.

leghump.gif

I. Can't. Even.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Dude, it's math, not magic. If you type 2+2= into a calculator, it's going to say 4. It doesn't care how you FEEL about the numbers, it's going to take your inputs and give you an output. That's all MFP is doing. You can choose to ignore it all you want, but that doesn't change the math.

But math is haaaaaaarrrrrd.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bored-cat.gif

Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.