Try exercising with a gun in your bra

Options
15678911»

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    WDEvy,

Many get defensive because of the nature of people assume that someone who carries a weapon will commit a crime. It's not a matter of fear, to be honest; I'm not scared of dying. Not saying I want to die but I refuse to be such an easy victim. I don’t want to put my life in the hands of a police officer and just hope that I have time to call 911, be placed on hold, for several seconds to then listen to the prompt do I need police, fire, or medical assistance. By the time it takes to get through to a dispatcher, get units dispatched and on scene, the situation can be over. I know as I was an Air Force Cop and have seen how quick a situation can escalate or deescalate. Also, as someone mentioned, many want to be self-reliant and not always rely on the government to come to their aid in time of need.
    The majority of those who are disenfranchised in the US chose that path. Many 1rst generation immigrants have become very successful because they chose to take advantage of the opportunities my remarkable country provides.
    The citizens of the USA do not live in fear. We are a self reliant people. We take care of our own business and that includes personal defense. You who reside in a nanny state rely on others to tend to your needs.

The facts tell the tale, and the bottom line is the violent crime rates in your countries are higher than that of the US. The difference being that in the US, it is the thugs who must be prudent as to who they decide to victimize. Thugs will always seek to gain the advantage and if guns are eliminated, then they will use clubs or knives.

perfect demonstrations of the relevant underlying beliefs and identifications.

lack of trust, belief in self-reliance, american exceptionalism.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    WDEvy,

Many get defensive because of the nature of people assume that someone who carries a weapon will commit a crime. It's not a matter of fear, to be honest; I'm not scared of dying. Not saying I want to die but I refuse to be such an easy victim. I don’t want to put my life in the hands of a police officer and just hope that I have time to call 911, be placed on hold, for several seconds to then listen to the prompt do I need police, fire, or medical assistance. By the time it takes to get through to a dispatcher, get units dispatched and on scene, the situation can be over. I know as I was an Air Force Cop and have seen how quick a situation can escalate or deescalate. Also, as someone mentioned, many want to be self-reliant and not always rely on the government to come to their aid in time of need.

Thats the same everywhere - we would be very stupid to assume that the police would arrive via some kind of batsignal over here, but equally dont carry guns, neither, might I add, do *most* criminals.

I really think it's a question of them thinking that the "bad guys" are armed so they have to be armed too. It's a vicious circle. I mean, I'm moving there and I will probably want a gun because I will fully expect someone to pull one on me at some point since everyone and their grandmother is armed like a private army.

Where when I'm here, I don't assume anyone has a gun so I don't need a gun. I have a baseball bat in my bedroom because I live alone right now but that's pretty much it.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Do you live in Afghanistan?

^^^ This.

I believe you may be a bit too paranoid .. not to mention locked and loaded.

I've lived all over the US and I've never felt like I needed to do any of that. Be cautious and aware of where you are walking, running, etc. But .. a gun in your bra? A taser? If I ever felt that scared to get out of my house .. I'd MOVE. Seriously.

My sis in law used to be uber paranoid when we lived in Phoenix. She was CONVINCED she was going to be abducted and sold into white slavery. She would arm herself with weapons when she went to the grocery store, driving to the mall, or heaven forbid -- take a walk in her subdivision. She bought a padlock for her bedroom door. My Aunt was visiting one weekend and we ate at my BIL/SILs house. Angie was rambling on about her guns, her locks, her mace, her fear of being abducted into white slavery. My Aunt .. looked her straight in the eye and said: What's wrong with you. That is just CRAZY. Of all things for you to worry about, that isn't one of them. I'm pretty darn sure the "white slave traders" are not looking for overweight 40 year old Italian-American women who grew up in West Virginia. You can take the padlock off now.

So .. just sayin. Don't live in such fear. Be cautious, be aware .. but don't be sooo fearful that you cannot live your life. And yes .. shoot your damn boob off trying to get to the gun. I'd easily have someone kicked and elbowed in the throat before I'd ever be able to get to a gun strapped to my boob.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Do you live in Afghanistan?

^^^ This.

I believe you may be a bit too paranoid .. not to mention locked and loaded.

I've lived all over the US and I've never felt like I needed to do any of that. Be cautious and aware of where you are walking, running, etc. But .. a gun in your bra? A taser? If I ever felt that scared to get out of my house .. I'd MOVE. Seriously.

My sis in law used to be uber paranoid when we lived in Phoenix. She was CONVINCED she was going to be abducted and sold into white slavery. She would arm herself with weapons when she went to the grocery store, driving to the mall, or heaven forbid -- take a walk in her subdivision. She bought a padlock for her bedroom door. My Aunt was visiting one weekend and we ate at my BIL/SILs house. Angie was rambling on about her guns, her locks, her mace, her fear of being abducted into white slavery. My Aunt .. looked her straight in the eye and said: What's wrong with you. That is just CRAZY. Of all things for you to worry about, that isn't one of them. I'm pretty darn sure the "white slave traders" are not looking for overweight 40 year old Italian-American women who grew up in West Virginia. You can take the padlock off now.

So .. just sayin. Don't live in such fear. Be cautious, be aware .. but don't be sooo fearful that you cannot live your live. And yes .. shoot your damn boob off trying to get to the gun. I'd easily have someone kicked and elbowed in the throat before I'd ever be able to get to a gun strapped to my boob.

don't forget the knife in her pocket ...
  • justinstuart99705
    justinstuart99705 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No problem! I will admit, I can get defensive at times but I understand how the American culture can look to other cultures. A sad thing in American News is the fact that all the school shootings, mall shootings, etc make the news and they are bad. Guns do kill people but they also save lives and these don't really make the news. I have been told by some of my friends who are cops that they are not worried about the people who carry and follow the law, such as letting a cop know they have a weapon, but are worried about those who don't.

I don't always see the world in a bad place, being in the military and a former Air Force cop I see a lot of the bad in people at times but having a weapon is just another tool to be prepared. In Alaska, many homes have pistol's and rifles because of the nature of the Alaskan Wilderness and the limited support from the state in an Emergency.

When you come to the US, you will see that not everyone is crazy.
    WDEvy,

Thank you. I still don't understand the cause of the mentality ( mostly cultural difference) but it can understand the way you see the world and want to be ready for it. It's very hard to get a straight answer when this subject comes up, as you can tell by the numerous previous posts.
  • justinstuart99705
    Options
    anemoneprose,

What may I ask shows the lack of trust in my comment? The state cannot always respond fast enough to assist people in times of need. What is wrong with being self-reliant? I live in the largest state in the Union and experience extremes that most never have nor ever will. -60 to 90 degree temperatures, animals that weight 4,000 lbs +, 8 to 9 foot bears, and more. Always relying on others wouldn’t always save you, by the time someone can call for help, a bear can maim and kill in a matter of seconds. What about if the power goes out at -50 or -60, and you rely on the city or state to help you? You will die from exposure in hours.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    A gun would never fit in my sportsbra. I have A-cups. The damned gun, even a little bitty one, would be bigger than my boob, and let's not even discuss stashing said gun and holster in my nonexistent cleavage. It's just as well, I don't have a gun, much less know how to fire one, anyways.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    No problem! I will admit, I can get defensive at times but I understand how the American culture can look to other cultures. A sad thing in American News is the fact that all the school shootings, mall shootings, etc make the news and they are bad. Guns do kill people but they also save lives and these don't really make the news. I have been told by some of my friends who are cops that they are not worried about the people who carry and follow the law, such as letting a cop know they have a weapon, but are worried about those who don't.

I don't always see the world in a bad place, being in the military and a former Air Force cop I see a lot of the bad in people at times but having a weapon is just another tool to be prepared. In Alaska, many homes have pistol's and rifles because of the nature of the Alaskan Wilderness and the limited support from the state in an Emergency.

When you come to the US, you will see that not everyone is crazy.
    WDEvy,

Thank you. I still don't understand the cause of the mentality ( mostly cultural difference) but it can understand the way you see the world and want to be ready for it. It's very hard to get a straight answer when this subject comes up, as you can tell by the numerous previous posts.

Folks have a lot of guns here too to protect against wildlife when they live in remote areas. That's normal.
    I do know you're not all crazy, I'm married to an American.. I have been to the US ( every part of the US) multiple times and I do plan on having a couple of dual citizenship babies quite soon. ;)
  • ruthlmiller
    ruthlmiller Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :) Try the oldest style tai chi. Find a master in San Francisco and learn from a Master there. It kept my husband from harm for 40+ years.
    And, get a younger dog. Look for a breed that has a lot of people paranoid about it being a biter.

I have the sweetest dog in the world who is probably a pit bull/mix. We picked him up as a stray years ago and he WON'T BITE. Ya oughta see what he puts up with from my 2-1/2 year old daughter. I would never let her hurt him but he adores the rough housing, and is big enough a lot of people would be intimidated just by his size let alone his appearance. He went on a field trip without us once and the local sheriff who is afraid of dogs was able to walk up to him, put a leash on him, get him in the police car, and read his tag to call us. Of course my dog is a big goober and LOVES car rides. And the dog likes walks and jogging.

(And no, I haven't read any of the other posts - got to go catch the toddler!)
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    this is how i go out jogging. totally better than a bra holster

fembot_zpsb75eae7c.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was funny! But, that level of paranoia would be difficult for me to handle. I wouldn't want to exercise with all those weapons. I'd probably try having some serious talks with him, maybe getting him some help, and then I'd do what I want. I walk home at night and the only thing I do is during the one stretch of road in which I walk under a bridge in the dark, beside the woods, without nearby homes, very few driving cars (other than the creepy blue van that I think a guy lives in), I will call my husband on the phone, so that if anything were to happen he would know it happened and where I was. I basically just call him and tell him I am there and how long until he should expect to see me walk in the door. I only keep him on the phone if I have reason to be extra cautious. I am also well trained in self-defense and have successfully defended myself before from a stranger attack.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada.
    Me too. In fact I live in Prince George, BC. The "Crime Capital of Canada". But we do not have to go armed to the gym. However, I did used to carry pepper spray when I worked downtown. Personal safety is important and I certainly wouldn't begrudge any responsible, trained person the right to protect themselves in the way they are most comfortable.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    anemoneprose,

What may I ask shows the lack of trust in my comment? The state cannot always respond fast enough to assist people in times of need. What is wrong with being self-reliant? I live in the largest state in the Union and experience extremes that most never have nor ever will. -60 to 90 degree temperatures, animals that weight 4,000 lbs +, 8 to 9 foot bears, and more. Always relying on others wouldn’t always save you, by the time someone can call for help, a bear can maim and kill in a matter of seconds. What about if the power goes out at -50 or -60, and you rely on the city or state to help you? You will die from exposure in hours.

ok i didn't know you were out in the wilds, totally understandable. i'd probably carry a gun out there too, or at least think about it.

in urban centres, the expectation that need for self-reliance will arise means there is an expectation of violence. the expectation of violence is there because of either 1) unreasonable fear of violence or 2) reasonable fear of actual violence, which itself arises because infrastructural needs are not met (inequality). infrastructural needs are not met because people keep voting in governments that are ideologically opposed to that sort of thing, because people believe in self-reliance and hate the idea of a 'nanny state', because self-reliance is central to people's views of themselves as autonomous.

i think participating in & taking responsibility for one's community - locally, where people live - would help mitigate both actual and feared violence. so would giving young people a leg up, by investing in their education.

but the first is hard for people to do when they don't feel they belong to a community, or if they believe that certain people shouldn't be part of it (or believe that outsiders threaten it). the second is hard when people believe that success happens as a result of hard work alone, and blame the poor for their problems.

(ps i've really liked the americans i've met; no, not all of them are crazy, of course :)
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump for my bed tine reading!!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm paranoid enough on my own. I live in a good neighborhood, but I still run with a 3" assisted opening pocketknife and mace. I don't really have a way to carry my pistol when I run or I'd bring that too. Really, I wasn't this paranoid until approached by some wack-job when stopping at a gas station in a military ASV. When he asked me if we were taking over I probably shouldn't have said yes, even though I said so while laughing.... but it got real creepy bad real fast. One of us was armed and it wasn't me. Army combatives were going to come into play.......
  • justinstuart99705
    Options
    Sycholoic,

What type of pistol do you have, A new thing that seems to be new is neck holsters, I have an XD(s) in .45, (They make it in 9MM now) and it's farily small and they have ankle holsters for it. (Sorry my FFLness is kicking in lol). Former Army?
    I'm paranoid enough on my own. I live in a good neighborhood, but I still run with a 3" assisted opening pocketknife and mace. I don't really have a way to carry my pistol when I run or I'd bring that too. Really, I wasn't this paranoid until approached by some wack-job when stopping at a gas station in a military ASV. When he asked me if we were taking over I probably shouldn't have said yes, even though I said so while laughing.... but it got real creepy bad real fast. One of us was armed and it wasn't me. Army combatives were going to come into play.......
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have not read the first 9 pages, so apologize if I repeat anything. At the OP, I have packed for years, never in my bra. I use a Nathan Trail Hydration belt and have a Ruger LCP that fits well. I also have compression shorts that I wear under shorts when I don't wear my belt, that has a spot for a gun, I ordered them from the website Armed in Heels. I'm probably more paranoid than my husband is, but I work in a field where I see much more crime than he does, plus we are in a fairly rural area, the roads I run on are long and not frequently traveled, just the places where stuff can easily happen and no one would know for hours. I have seen cougar, deer, rattlesnakes, etc out on my runs and have been chased or near attacked by numerous dogs. It's my comfort zone. City vs rural doesn't make you more or less safe, we had 7 murders in 6 months in an area of 20K people. I've never carried my 22 because it's a long barrel, but my S&W 38 snub nose revolver I packed for years before I started running and it worked well as a great concealed carry also.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was a runner in the city for years. Ran through bad neighborhoods and never carried a weapon other than my bony elbows and fast talking (and more than once, fast sprinting). Awareness of my surroundings was my best defense against crime. When I think of running in rural areas, now to me that's scary. All those lonely roads where some crazy person could just grab you and no one would hear the screams...

If carrying a gun makes you feel safer, get trained and go for it. Just don't shoot the postman by accident. :wink:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    anemoneprose,

I haven't read this exchange, but am entertained by the fact that someone thought that an authority can/will show up. We have 1 county sheriff on duty for a 300 mile radius, in the city, it's a 25 mile radius for city limits and there may or may not be an officer on duty. Even with 'shots fired' it may take 15 minutes to get an officer on scene, it takes an ambulance 20 minutes to get to a home when a call is made. Any local law enforcement officer will tell you that you are pretty much on your own. About 2 months ago, I was attacked in city limits by 3 dogs, my family called 911, the guy put his dogs on leashes and ran, they didn't find him, they took their non-4wd vehicle into a field, got stuck and my dh had to tow him out. I probably wouldn't have used my gun, but sure wish I would have had it with me if I my family hadn't heard me screaming as I was only at the end of the block by my house.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I live in a smaller community in the hicks of the US. My spouse doesn't worry when i'm out exercising.