Struggling to hit protein goal

Options
My daily protein intake for my bulking program is 360g protein daily,
Today for example I had protein pancakes for breakfast (3 eggs 2 scoops protein, & oats)
Chicken breast salad for meal 1
Bacon and wholemeal bread meal 2
Protein shake (40g protein) pre-workout
Protein-Shake post-workout
2x Chicken Breasts & wholemeal rice meal 3

This totalled 268g of protein so I need another 92g and have no idea where I can fit that much in ?
A protein bar only provides 20g so still another 70g of protein daily to fit into my meals ?
Any ideas are appreciated

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why so much?!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are struggling with that. That is almost enough protein for two of you. Why do you want so much?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Even if you ate a gram per pound of body weight you'd be on the high side, and A-ok.
  • ScottPhillips94
    ScottPhillips94 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just worked out what I need to take in due to my high levels of activity daily and intense training. Plus my current height/weight etc ?

My daily macros look like this
    Calories: 3600
    Protein 40% 360g
    Carbs 45% 400g
    Fat 15% 60g
  • ScottPhillips94
    Options
    I'm currently 210lbs so I worked out that 1.5g protein per Lb of body weight is around 315 ?
    So even that I would still be under for today's macros even after eating 3 large chicken breasts, 2x protein shakes and protein pancakes haha
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm pretty sure .85-1 gram is adequate.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

1 g/lb is more than enough:
    http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

That much protein won't hurt, but carbs are more import during a bulk. Your fat intake is really low. Minimum is about 0.4 g/lb LBM for general health long-term.
  • ScottPhillips94
    Options
    Bumped the fat up to a more realistic 84g
    Brought protein down to 315
    Carbs up to 450

How's that
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've mine set at 50% for carbs, 20% for protein and 30% for fats - 500grams for carbs, 133grams for fats and 200grams for protein. I don't think you need that much protein. As @richln said carbs are more important during a bulk. Up the fat % a bit more and don't be worried about gaining fat while bulking as you cant have one without the other really but bulk slow so the % increase in both muscle and fat will roughly be the same.
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    I've mine set at 50% for carbs, 20% for protein and 30% for fats - 500grams for carbs, 133grams for fats and 200grams for protein. I don't think you need that much protein. As @richln said carbs are more important during a bulk. Up the fat % a bit more and don't be worried about gaining fat while bulking as you cant have one without the other really but bulk slow so the % increase in both muscle and fat will roughly be the same.

+1

Also OP, of you want to compensate for energy expended for increased activity you should up your carbs above all else.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There really isn't any benefit over 1g of protein per lb of LEAN BODY MASS <--- not weight. Also, when bulking carbs play a much greater roll.. so why not drop protein down to at least 200g or less.
  • ScottPhillips94
    Options
    Bumped protein down to 271g
    Bumped carbs up to 452g
    Fats up to 80g

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Bumped protein down to 271g
    Bumped carbs up to 452g
    Fats up to 80g

still too much protein ..

should be .85 to 1 gram per pound of body weight…

up your carbs to 500 and lower your protein to 200 and bump fats to closer to 100 …

• techniec
    techniec Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This guy is crazy lol. If you're 210lbs, you need 210g protéines. 1g per pound.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Bumped the fat up to a more realistic 84g
    Brought protein down to 315
    Carbs up to 450

How's that

3600 calories a day and you're only eating 450 grams of carbs?

gurl please- up dem carbs.

If you're trying to gain- macros come in second to over all calories. Make sure you're hitting your calories- don't sweat the macros so much- and as @RedWolf09 said- carbs are should be the focus and go up- not protein.
  • ScottPhillips94
    Options
    Ok thanks guys,
    What are the best ways of getting those extra carbs in ?
  • ScottPhillips94
    Options
    How's this ?tg5pgk44ufew.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Carbs are everywhere! Bread, rice, pasta, potatoes. Vegetables!
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks guys,
    What are the best ways of getting those extra carbs in ?

shouldn't be difficult walk down an aisle in a supermarket there will be tons of carb sources lol.
  • mmutluaydin
    mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way I know how much protein you need is that you need to learn your lean body weight first. Then take 2.75 per KG (Sorry I only know kilograms)

This is more accurate to calculate by your lean body weight rather than all body weight. Coz, you need to feed your muscles, not your fats.