Options

Replies

• Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If you're consistently building muscle and not losing fat, you're in a calorie surplus. It's really that simple.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I think that the logical first step, before getting more blood drawn or paying for more doctor's appointments, is to carefully log your food intake using a digital scale for two weeks and seeing if that helps. Without consistently logging with a food scale, you just can't rule out overeating. As a medical researcher, surely you know about Occam's Razor. I would start with the simplest solution and work my way up instead of searching for medical reasons when you aren't logging food intake. And having a pretty good idea of what goes in your body is very different from actually logging. Having courses in food, nutrition, and physiology don't negate the need for a food scale.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight you are eating more than you burn

If you are gaining muscle you are eating more than you burn, or possibly at maintenance with a good progressive lifting programme

You do not know how much you are eating

Log accurately, weigh everything, come back in 6 weeks

Work out as much as you do and you will eat more to fuel your body

You are not a special snowflake, nobody is...you are just consuming around 300 calories extra per day ...in food terms it's not a lot
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    BoricuaUK wrote: »
    Once again, in an intensive training program as I play pro badminton. I have badminton training ~10 hours a week, tennis ~7 hours a week. Do my fitbit 10k steps and some swimming and jogging when I can together with weight training.
    I eat a plan of Protein>Carb>Fat and cut sugar by 80%.
    I keep gaining weight, have gained 15kg since last year (7 month break due to injury but didn't gain anything then). I am obviously getting muscle mass, however, my body fat % is hardly moving more than 0.X.
    I had my thryoid checked and it is working hard but still normal. No diabetes either.
    I realise I do more anaerobic training but it should still show something......
    Has anyone had similar problems? I keep getting bloodwork done but they can't find anything.

You are eating too much food, that's why you're gaining.

Shoot, it sounds like you are doing everything right when it comes to fitness, but that will not matter as to weight loss if you eat too much food.

You are not gaining muscle, you are gaining fat. Muscle gains are intentional and require some heavy weight lifting.

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes: weigh all food, log all food and ensure you are using accurate calorie entries, and set your activity level to active. As for exercise calories, log only your intentional cardio exercise (running) but nothing else, as it would be included in your daily activity because you do it every day.

If you want more concrete advice, open your diary too (assuming you log all food). If you don't log your food, I would suggest you do so because it will provide a more accurate picture of how much your intake is.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    The numbers you've given us (33 lbs in 12 months gain) indicate you are overeating by an average of 315 or so calories per day.

How's your food logging? Do you weigh everything before you eat it?

This isn't knocking the weight gain, since a lot of it might have been muscle. Do you measure yourself to see how many inches you've gained and where?

I disagree with your statement about muscle.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I haven't been overeating, in fact I am constantly under my calorie goal. I eat a special diet too, FODMAP, which are just easier digestible foods, so no lactose and low gluten etc.
    Sure I've noticed I am getting muscle both around my legs and arms, noticeable biceps and forearms, but that isn't 15kgs.
    Just very frustrating, hoping to find out what it is at some point.

Science is based on evidence where nobody gets to be a special snowflake.

The evidence (of weight gain) shows you have been eating too much.

You may be more toned from all your fitness work, but that does not mean it's muscle. Women have a harder time of building muscle than men, and it's not even that easy for men to build muscle.

Please take a step back and listen to the good advice here. :)

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I haven't been overeating, in fact I am constantly under my calorie goal. I eat a special diet too, FODMAP, which are just easier digestible foods, so no lactose and low gluten etc.
    Sure I've noticed I am getting muscle both around my legs and arms, noticeable biceps and forearms, but that isn't 15kgs.

Science is based on evidence where nobody gets to be a special snowflake.

The evidence (of weight gain) shows you have been eating too much.

You may be more toned from all your fitness work, but that does not mean it's muscle. Women have a harder time of building muscle than men, and it's not even that easy for men to build muscle.

Please take a step back and listen to the good advice here. :)

+1 No matter what, if you are gaining weight, whether that be fat or muscle, you are eating more calories than you burn and have been doing it on a consistent basis.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I haven't logged properly on here, I've used the fitbit app. But I'm gonna start logging here again.
    I know pretty well what I am eating and not as I'm a medical researcher. I've had everything from food and nutrition to physiology and so on. My food plan is also done by professionals and checked every now and then.
    Thanks for the suggestions though, I'm gonna have to just keep trying.

Just because you are a medical researcher and have taken those classes does not mean you are immune to fat gain. :)
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I haven't logged properly on here, I've used the fitbit app. But I'm gonna start logging here again.
    I know pretty well what I am eating and not as I'm a medical researcher. I've had everything from food and nutrition to physiology and so on. My food plan is also done by professionals and checked every now and then.
    Thanks for the suggestions though, I'm gonna have to just keep trying.
    If you're a medical researcher, what would you list as possible causes of weight gain without a caloric surplus? Other than, perhaps, an aggressive tumor or tapeworm, what else is there over this timeframe?

Excellent questions.

I always look at weight loss thusly - we've evolved over tens of thousands of years as a species and untold numbers of famines to stubbornly eat at a surplus every chance we get. Likewise, conservation of energy always applies to weight loss - CICO.

So, all other things being equal (e.g., tapeworm or malignancy aside, as examples) if you're gaining weight despite how carefully you think you might be logging your intake or measuring your output, despite how many physiology and nutrition classes you've taken, or medical research you might have performed - you're missing something.

So, logical response - you need to look closely to find out what might be causing your gains and adjust your approach further.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If you are gaining weight you are eating more than you burn

If you are gaining muscle you are eating more than you burn, or possibly at maintenance with a good progressive lifting programme

You do not know how much you are eating

Log accurately, weigh everything, come back in 6 weeks

Work out as much as you do and you will eat more to fuel your body

You are not a special snowflake, nobody is...you are just consuming around 300 calories extra per day ...in food terms it's not a lot

This

And
    I only gained through the time I was training.

How long were you off training, how long has this training been going on? If you took time off and are returning your body will retain water for muscle repair until it adjusts and flushes the water.

And just fitting in weight training when you can isn't going to give you the huge muscle gains your hoping for, especially with the rest of your regimen being cardio based.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    You don't gain significant weight in a deficit. You're talking over 30lbs of weight. Think about it, how do you build a brick house with no bricks? You can't build muscle with nothing to build it from.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• BoricuaUK
    BoricuaUK Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well for once, I am on FODMAP because I am also taking medication for IBS. I'm in the uk so I don't pay for my visits to the gp/hospital.
    I've always had it easy to gain muscle as well. I've been very athletic throughout my younger years and I'm closer to Serena than Sharapova in body type.
    What I tried to say was simply that I know what foods are good or bad to weight loss in general.
    I'm going to continue the FODMAP as I haven't for too long yet and see if I can see a change.
    I don't believe I am a special snowflake whatever that is supposed to mean?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well for once, I am on FODMAP because I am also taking medication for IBS. I'm in the uk so I don't pay for my visits to the gp/hospital.
    I've always had it easy to gain muscle as well. I've been very athletic throughout my younger years and I'm closer to Serena than Sharapova in body type.
    What I tried to say was simply that I know what foods are good or bad to weight loss in general.
    I'm going to continue the FODMAP as I haven't for too long yet and see if I can see a change.

If you believe that there are good and bad foods, that shows you don't have an understanding. The ONLY thing that matters for weight loss is calories. Nothing else. If you are gaining, you are eating too many of them.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    No one said you couldn't do FODMAP _AND_ weigh your food. I don't think a single person has criticized FODMAP. The only thing we've said is that even if you're following that, there's no guarantee you're eating at a deficit.

In fact, we're telling you you're NOT eating at a deficit.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

If you don't believe you are a special snowflake, how do you explain the 30+ pounds of weight gain when you are insisting you are on a deficit? It isn't possible.
  • BoricuaUK
    BoricuaUK Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There is no need for treating me like I'm stupid. Your comment is unnecessary DrEnalg. Especially if you didn't understand what I was trying to say by it.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Special snowflake is an easy way of saying that none of us get to defy science. Science tell us this:
    • If you eat too much you will gain weight.
    • If you eat too little you will lose weight.
    • If you eat just right you will maintain weight.

Even if you are taking medication, it would come down to the equation of calories in/calories out.

There are no right or wrong foods for weight gain, there are only foods. FODMAP is just a tool for you because it sounds like the type of dietary plan, but it doesn't matter as to weight loss.

Any food plan will work if you are eating less calories than you burn, and no food plan will work if you are eating at a surplus.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    There is no need for treating me like I'm stupid. Your comment is unnecessary DrEnalg. Especially if you didn't understand what I was trying to say by it.

Oh, good! A mean people thread and it's not even Friday!
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you net each day, OP?
This discussion has been closed.