Keep gaining weight but doing everything right

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There is only one answer for weight gain. You've been asked multiple times for alternative answers and haven't provided any.

You can report your original post and ask that it be removed and then keep on going with what's obviously not working since that appears to be your comfort zone.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    BoricuaUK wrote: »
    I only eat fish and vegetables for once. And only vegetables that don't make me bloated, which would be broccoli etc.
    I didn't gain 15kg in a year, that's very different. I did 3 months of training of cardio on average 4 hours a day 7 days a week + 4 days of weight training. Got very strong but also gained probably the 10kg of the 15. I halved the training when I first became i and gained another 5kg. I stopped training for 7 months and ate pretty much the same, but didn't gain anything. Now I've been back with the above mentioned training since May. I've been very sick this year in general, extreme fatigue, the IBS symptoms and bad joint and muscle stiffness. That was the reason I went for bloodworks. My doctors are the ones that keep wanting to do more tests. I'm back in physio because of the cartilage damage in my wrist. I am not even taking in account the medication for IBS or depression, knowing that at least the latter can make it hard. I just want to rule out anything medical. But it seems that on here there is only one answer for everything.
    Can I delete this thread and I can try out anything else when I know for sure that none of these symptoms are related to this problem.

Regardless of any medical condition, the key to weight loss is burning more calories than you ingest. Medications and conditions can lower the "Calories In" portion of the CICO equation, but it doesn't change the underlying concept.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Eating just fish and veg does not make you immune to the laws of thermodynamics.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    brinkmjl wrote: »
    You should check out Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About it." He talks a lot about other reasons besides "you're eating too much" that people gain weight. He looks at case studies such as marathoners that have run the equivalent of 3 times around the globe, and yet still gain weight. It might help you gain another prespective about the chemicals in your body that cause weight gain beyond the simple calories in, calories out model.

I can save you the read...they ate more than they burned.
  • BoricuaUK
    BoricuaUK Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The list is very big of things you can eat. Those are just very calorie rich ones that she listed.
    I especially like raw vegetable smoothies. I liquify a lot of what I eat. I don't like the "heavy" feeling.
    I avoid acidic fruits too and eat oats and other soluble fibres. Your tummy is the cause of so many other things, so keeping it happy and healthy is a must.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You should check out Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About it." He talks a lot about other reasons besides "you're eating too much" that people gain weight. He looks at case studies such as marathoners that have run the equivalent of 3 times around the globe, and yet still gain weight. It might help you gain another prespective about the chemicals in your body that cause weight gain beyond the simple calories in, calories out model.

I can save you the read...they ate more than they burned.
    If only those magical body chemicals could really create energy from nothing.

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/why-we-get-fat/
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can still overeat even if you're eating only fish and veg.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    No, I specifically said that the person saying he needs to shake his head at a comment that I made, is rather rude.
    I put their name in the comment specifying who I said didn't need to treat me like I am stupid. What's going on here?
    Yes there are good and bad foods, you not knowing that shows you don't understand, not me.
    There are foods that cause bloating and that are hard to digest. FODMAP means you are leaving out as I have mentioned, lactose and other hard digestibles. You normally stick to that when you have a gastrointestinal disorder. But yes, I am the one who knows nothing about science right.
    smh
    Wow, this was more disheartening than anything else.

People make many assumptions based upon a few brief sentences in a post - don't read too much into it and ignore the snark. Responding in kind isn't going to deescalate the situation.

Regardless of being on FODMAP, what you have not discussed is the number of calories you are ingesting. Bottom line if you are gaining weight you are either eating too much or burning too few calories. How you get to a caloric deficit is up to you.

While I agree with your last paragraph, there is no snark or assumptions, just cold hard truth based on what OP has shared.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The list is very big of things you can eat. Those are just very calorie rich ones that she listed.
    I especially like raw vegetable smoothies. I liquify a lot of what I eat. I don't like the "heavy" feeling.
    I avoid acidic fruits too and eat oats and other soluble fibres. Your tummy is the cause of so many other things, so keeping it happy and healthy is a must.

I also like smoothies. They still have calories. You can have a "happy and healthy" tummy and still consume more calories than your body is burning. This will result in weight gain.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The thing that you are not saying, and specifically avoiding, is that you have no idea how many calories you are eating in a day.

What you eat does not matter for weight loss. How many calories you eat is what matters and you are eating more calories than your body is using. Low carb, low fat, Paleo, Atkins, FODMAP, anything will work as long as you eat fewer calories than your body consumes.

Get a food scale and weigh your solids and use measuring cups/spoons for liquids. Record in a food diary (either on MFP or elsewhere) exactly what and how much of it you are eating. Make sure you are using database entries with accurate nutritional info because some of them can be incomplete or inaccurate.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I could very easily overeat on oats and smoothies. In fact I have done in the past.

You don't defy the laws of physics. Medication and medical conditions can make it a bit harder to lose but not impossible There are many people with far more challenging conditions than you who have successfully lost weight. It's just basic science and you don't defy it no matter what you think.

If you have never weighed any of your food how do you know what a reasonable portion looks like?

10 years ago i was a full-time dance student convinced I was a special snowflake because I was dancing 4-10 hours per day but maintained my weight for the duration after an initial loss. Guess what? I'm not special. I started weighing my food earlier this year and have lost 28lbs. You could too if you stopped focussing on how active you are and started focussing on the basic facts of calories in calories out.

It's never nice to hear people saying something you don't want to hear but I'm afraid it's the truth.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I only eat fish and vegetables for once. And only vegetables that don't make me bloated, which would be broccoli etc..
    You believe it's impossible to overeat fish and vegetables?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna ask one simple question and it is not meant to be sarcastic or funny but designed to wake you up. Why did you put a post on this forum if you have already decided for yourself what you want your answer to be? You're wasting your time and everyone elses. Only ask a question if you are READY to listen to peoples advice and act accordingly. If you think you are a special snowflake and your body is going against the laws of physics and just simple logic then don't bother to post. Because as rational human beings we are trying to use logic and science as ways to help you determine your best course of action. If you're not ready to hear the truth then don't ask the question in the first place. Posts like this are very frustrating. When you're ready to lose the weight...you will... and you'll find out you're not such a special snowflake after all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The denial is strong with this one.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I only eat fish and vegetables for once. And only vegetables that don't make me bloated, which would be broccoli etc.
    I didn't gain 15kg in a year, that's very different. I did 3 months of training of cardio on average 4 hours a day 7 days a week + 4 days of weight training. Got very strong but also gained probably the 10kg of the 15. I halved the training when I first became i and gained another 5kg. I stopped training for 7 months and ate pretty much the same, but didn't gain anything. Now I've been back with the above mentioned training since May. I've been very sick this year in general, extreme fatigue, the IBS symptoms and bad joint and muscle stiffness. That was the reason I went for bloodworks. My doctors are the ones that keep wanting to do more tests. I'm back in physio because of the cartilage damage in my wrist. I am not even taking in account the medication for IBS or depression, knowing that at least the latter can make it hard. I just want to rule out anything medical. But it seems that on here there is only one answer for everything.
    Can I delete this thread and I can try out anything else when I know for sure that none of these symptoms are related to this problem.

No one here is qualified to diagnose you with anything medical over the internet. Stay with your doctors and let them run tests if you think something is going on. Otherwise, ruling out the very common issues that most people have (overestimating calories burned and underestimating calories eaten) can only help.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Juicing/smoothie vegetables could be one reason you're intake is more than you assume. I love juice and smoothies, but even vegetables have calories. Making smoothies of them is an easy way to consume 300 calories in one glass.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I looked at the FODMAP link here. And I learned you can eat the following, according to that website:

Potato
    Sweet potato
    Bananas
    Papaya
    Pineapple
    Beef
    Cold cuts
    Salmon
    Tuna
    Corn tortillas
    Nuts
    Sugar
    Mayonnaise
    Lard
    Cocoa powder
    And lots of other calorie dense items

I think it's pretty easy to overeat any of these, even though they may not trigger your IBS. Unless you weigh them on a digital scale, it's hard to know exactly how many calories of each you're eating.

oh man . . . a list with lard on it. I have IBS but I definitely don't eat/cook with lard . . . the other stuff some of it but cold cuts? no way . . . they make me feel horrible.

How do you do with pineapple? I don't have anything wrong with my innards and even I have problems when I get going with the p'apple.

It depends . . . I can usually be ok with it as long as I'm eating it with something else or I've eaten something else shortly before it so my stomach has other food to pass through along with the pineapple.

I will say though that of most of the fruits I eat, I find even if I feel ok I am usually still a bit bloated after eating it. However, having IBS being/feeling bloated is a pretty normal thing.

But sometimes if I am stressed or emotionally upset, it doesn't really matter what food I'm eating I can't manage my symptoms.

I have found working out has helped me to have less physically daunting symptoms when they do occur. Like if I was stressed out and I ate something that didn't agree with me - like something high in dairy lets say - I could be bent over with stomach cramps for hours and then I'd have to run - like sprint!! - to the bathroom.

Now, it's slightly uncomfortable but I am also way less stressed out because I am working out 5 - 6 days/week and my body handles it differently. Might not be the case for everyone, but I've found my thing and I'm sticking to it :)

Although I will say - as someone else said - a lot of those items are calorie dense and high in fat in some cases; I find foods that are highly processed cause issues for me - mayo being one of the big ones if I eat too much of it. Also, when I googled it and looked at some websites, they recommend bananas for a FODMAP but they are one food I cannot handle, I'm doubled over in pain regardless of whether I'm having a flareup. They suggest this diet for those with IBS and similar GI disorders but some of the foods they list cause me issues and cause other people I know with IBS/UC issues. It's an odd diet to me.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I'm on a highly restricted version of FODMAP, and I have no problem losing weight and maintaining it, whether I exercise or not.
    If you are gaining weight, you are eating too many calories, period. That's how it works, regardless of what foods you are eating.
    Weigh your food.
  • BoricuaUK
    BoricuaUK Posts: 19 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've lost weight before, when it was needed before competition etc. I've done it several times and haven't done anything different than now.
    Of course I check exactly how much I eat, I prepare my portions for every meal each day. I don't just throw random things into a smoothie.
    I wrote this post to see if there is anyone with medical conditions who have had a hard time or some who have gone through something similar.
    Also, I eat fish and vegetables because I can stand them. A lot of food make me nauseous. I'm not American, I know what a normal portion size is. I grew up in Sweden where people are a normal size and live a very healthy lifestyle.
    Why I don't give a number of calories I am eating is because I don't always eat the same amount to one calorie every day.
    I've lost weight rapidly before even by only cutting sugar entirely, so it isn't only calories, even though that is what I am usually doing, with fat, protein and carb in mind as well, as well as I haven't logged my food for two weeks now as I have also mentioned.
    Also, I haven't gained weight for awhile now, I said it was when I did extensive workouts last summer, now my weight just isn't dropping.
    How do you make out that if you eat a specific diet, no exercise and maintain weight. Then you add exercise and no loss in weight.
    There have been times my coach has told me I need to eat more when I have almost fainted after 4 hours training, because I've only taken in liquid nutrition.
    It isn't just as simple as in and out. I do high performance sports and it is hard to find a balance, especially if you get sick from food constantly.
    Anyway thanks for all the same messages, I think we can stop it here.

@mccindy72 great that is works for you. I have just started with those restrictions and I am constantly bad and get even worse when I go exercising. Still trying to adjust it.
This discussion has been closed.