Keep gaining weight but doing everything right

Options

Replies

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    BoricuaUK wrote: »
    Keep on being nasty.

I'm not sure who you think is being nasty in this thread, but there are a lot of people here trying to help you if you'll let them. Or you can keep refusing to give them any information and just sit back and yell at them.

EXACTLY! Literally 4 pages of USEFUL information, but WHY focus on the useful information when we can deflect and start a mean people thread!? Friday came early!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight before, when it was needed before competition etc. I've done it several times and haven't done anything different than now.
    Of course I check exactly how much I eat, I prepare my portions for every meal each day. I don't just throw random things into a smoothie.
    I wrote this post to see if there is anyone with medical conditions who have had a hard time or some who have gone through something similar.
    Also, I eat fish and vegetables because I can stand them. A lot of food make me nauseous. I'm not American, I know what a normal portion size is. I grew up in Sweden where people are a normal size and live a very healthy lifestyle.
    Why I don't give a number of calories I am eating is because I don't always eat the same amount to one calorie every day.
    I've lost weight rapidly before even by only cutting sugar entirely, so it isn't only calories, even though that is what I am usually doing, with fat, protein and carb in mind as well, as well as I haven't logged my food for two weeks now as I have also mentioned.
    Also, I haven't gained weight for awhile now, I said it was when I did extensive workouts last summer, now my weight just isn't dropping.
    How do you make out that if you eat a specific diet, no exercise and maintain weight. Then you add exercise and no loss in weight.
    There have been times my coach has told me I need to eat more when I have almost fainted after 4 hours training, because I've only taken in liquid nutrition.
    It isn't just as simple as in and out. I do high performance sports and it is hard to find a balance, especially if you get sick from food constantly.
    Anyway thanks for all the same messages, I think we can stop it here.

@mccindy72 great that is works for you. I have just started with those restrictions and I am constantly bad and get even worse when I go exercising. Still trying to adjust it.

But I am someone with medical conditions who has had a hard time and has gone through something similar. and it is as simple as in and out. I have had times when I could exercise, and have burned hundreds to a thousand or more calories in a day, and still had the ability to find the balance.
    To say to me, that it's great that it works for me is rather rude. I'm trying to help you, considering I fit all the conditions of who you are trying to reach out to and proof of what works. We aren't special from anyone else. Despite what you want to believe, despite our food restrictions and issues, we still have to weigh our food and count our calories. The exercise and food issues don't affect our weight, the food intake does.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well for once, I am on FODMAP because I am also taking medication for IBS. I'm in the uk so I don't pay for my visits to the gp/hospital.
    I've always had it easy to gain muscle as well. I've been very athletic throughout my younger years and I'm closer to Serena than Sharapova in body type.
    What I tried to say was simply that I know what foods are good or bad to weight loss in general.
    I'm going to continue the FODMAP as I haven't for too long yet and see if I can see a change.
    I don't believe I am a special snowflake whatever that is supposed to mean?

If you overeat these "good foods" to the point of being in a calorie surplus, you'll still gain weight.

I'd wager that if you had recorded everything on MFP rather than Fitbit (so we could see it), we'd see that you either weren't being consistent or/and you were eyeballing a lot of things.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I've lost weight before, when it was needed before competition etc. I've done it several times and haven't done anything different than now.
    Of course I check exactly how much I eat, I prepare my portions for every meal each day. I don't just throw random things into a smoothie.
    I wrote this post to see if there is anyone with medical conditions who have had a hard time or some who have gone through something similar.
    Also, I eat fish and vegetables because I can stand them. A lot of food make me nauseous. I'm not American, I know what a normal portion size is. I grew up in Sweden where people are a normal size and live a very healthy lifestyle.
    Why I don't give a number of calories I am eating is because I don't always eat the same amount to one calorie every day.
    I've lost weight rapidly before even by only cutting sugar entirely, so it isn't only calories, even though that is what I am usually doing, with fat, protein and carb in mind as well, as well as I haven't logged my food for two weeks now as I have also mentioned.
    Also, I haven't gained weight for awhile now, I said it was when I did extensive workouts last summer, now my weight just isn't dropping.
    How do you make out that if you eat a specific diet, no exercise and maintain weight. Then you add exercise and no loss in weight.
    There have been times my coach has told me I need to eat more when I have almost fainted after 4 hours training, because I've only taken in liquid nutrition.
    It isn't just as simple as in and out. I do high performance sports and it is hard to find a balance, especially if you get sick from food constantly.

@mccindy72 great that is works for you. I have just started with those restrictions and I am constantly bad and get even worse when I go exercising. Still trying to adjust it.

The passive aggression is strong with this one....wow.
    It isn't as simple as in and out

Sorry, with weight loss yes....yes it is. If you're not in a defcit, you won't lose weight. If you're not in a surplus you won't gain weight.

For health, nutrition, satiety and performance...yes your calories matter, but not weight loss.

But I'm American, so what do I know about nutrition, am I right?

Right? No such thing as a fat person from Sweden :indifferent:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Has anyone suggested yet that you are probably eating more than you think?
    Cause that's probably it.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the majority is saying she's eating too much. So I won't add my two cents.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Ok. I didn't really read this since all these "why am I gaining weight" threads are the same, but are we sure this is for real. Is there really such a thing as Pro Badminton? That's actually kind of funny. I'm sure this is offensive, but in my mind badminton is in the same sports category as ping pong.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Has anyone suggested yet that you are probably eating more than you think?
    Cause that's probably it.

Impossible! Because from Sweden....
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Ok. I didn't really read this since all these "why am I gaining weight" threads are the same, but are we sure this is for real. Is there really such a thing as Pro Badminton? That's actually kind of funny. I'm sure this is offensive, but in my mind badminton is in the same sports category as ping pong.

Except there's pro ping pong so...
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

The passive aggression is strong with this one....wow.
    It isn't as simple as in and out

Sorry, with weight loss yes....yes it is. If you're not in a defcit, you won't lose weight. If you're not in a surplus you won't gain weight.

For health, nutrition, satiety and performance...yes your calories matter, but not weight loss.

But I'm American, so what do I know about nutrition, am I right?

Right? No such thing as a fat person from Sweden :indifferent:

They're all born with degrees as registered dietitians.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options

You don't have an understanding of what healthy is at all.
    And the blasphemy you are suggesting in that Science CAN be altered.
    Oh, please!

You claim you take in different amounts of calories each day but even if it was a small range, you obviously went over your TDEE by enough to gain that weight. Cutting out sugar works because sugar is calories and reducing the amount you take in relative to the amount you burn helps you lose weight.

• Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Op,I'm pretty sure you are the only one being nasty on this thread. With that being said,good luck.
  • enterdanger
    edited August 2015
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Except there's pro ping pong so...

I didn't know that. See MFP. No day you learn something is wasted. I just keep thinking of that Balls of Fury movie.

(edited to fix my dyslexic typing)
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No, I ate between 1500-1800 because that is exactly what this app also suggests and every single nutritionist on earth.
    There you go, happy now.

You met them all, really?

And they all said the exact same thing? . . . let's just cool our jets here.

You said you're searching for people with medical conditions to see if they've had the same experience buuuuuuut you've been tested who knows how many times for anything and everything that's ever happened to anyone on earth and yet you said the results all came back as nothing is wrong.

So is it possible . . . maybe just a little bit . . . stay with me here, that you're just plain eating too much and not burning nearly as much as you thought?

Just a thought . . .
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Both ping pong and badminton are Olympic sports. However, in order to compete in the Olympics you have to maintain amateur status.............

Although if OP is at that level I'd expect them to have dietary help from their team, which will include their coach, doctors, dieticians, physios etc. I'd also hope an elite athlete would have a better grasp of basic physiology, I was certainly taught it at dance school but you know, I'm just a mean person who is mean.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options

Hellllooooooooooooooo! Ping Pong is a pro sport! Look at Forrest Gump! Not to mention Balls of Fury! *is offended!*
  • enterdanger
    Options
    Yeah, but curling is also an olympic sport and have you seen those dudes? I wouldn't call them athletes.
  • BoricuaUK
    BoricuaUK Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @acorsaut89 Depends on what level you play it. Like I said, I play both tennis and badminton and competitively. There is such a thing as pro badminton and I am doing it, only because it isn't as prestigious as tennis doesn't make it less real. I have sacrificed much to get to where I am and I also love it. There are a lot of training outside of badminton as well, like I mentioned, I swim and run and do weight training in addition, as of course badminton doesn't provide for everything.

@mccindy72 if you are taking it as an insult that is on you. I was genuinely happy for you that you found a good combo of things you can eat, not for the weight-loss but to relieve the IBS. As I said, I just started fodmap and need to adjust to it. I love broccoli and now I have to leave it out. Not sure how that is rude but sure whatever.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If I can manage on 1000 cals a day I can cut out 500, but I hope I won't get dizzy again, that is all.
    I'll see how it works for a while, thanks @rabbitjb

Unless you have a serious thyroid condition there is no way that your calculation of eating 1500-1800 calories (gross I assume) and your exercise is accurate

But I think if you address it with a whole new enthusiasm, even if it's just to prove us wrong

Logging everything properly ...pleas read the calorie counting link I posted earlier...lots of entries in the MFP food database are wrong...the fitbit database is worse
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

It's somewhat more cardio intensive, I'm sure even more so on a competitive level.

I can remember chasing the ol' shuttlecock around in gym class back in middle/high school, and recall I'd work up a pretty good sweat doing it.
This discussion has been closed.